Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ria
Sep 21, 2003

yeah, i have no idea either

Dominion posted:

Most leagues I have encountered use a star system for determining when skaters are ready to bout, but the system isn't standardized or anything. Charm City used to use white/yellow/orange/green, but recently dropped out the yellow and just do white/orange/green, with white being "passed tryouts for the league and can attend regular practices", orange being "can scrimmage", and green being "allowed to be drafted onto a home team and can bout".

Yeah, ours is white/yellow/orange, but I'm pretty sure it's been pared down to just white and orange, since the freshies have their own practice and so the differentiation doesn't need to happen that much. Then again, I'm just a ref and the bylaws of my league is to keep those pretty separate (yay walls between partnered groups!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

Yeah, with CCRG the only real distinctions are Can Practice, Can Scrimmage, and Can Bout, and people were getting confused about what the functional difference was between a white star and a yellow star.

Yeah, and even then, in LVRG, the freshies sometimes practice with the regular girls (after they've signed the waiver, of course) so... The line is muddled, to put it mildly. :haw:

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Pretty much yes, forever. Urrk is a goddamn acrobat. Ballerina shenanigans all over the track.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

I really, really hate stopped packs and clockwise skating. I know it's legal, and I know it's sometimes good strategy, but to me it feels like it's not in the spirit of roller derby and it sort of breaks the game flow for a lot of spectators because it's counter-intuitive and they don't really get it.

I cannot agree with this enough, but WFTDA's going to do what WFTDA's going to do. Blah.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

WindyMan posted:

I updated the first post with the new WFTDA regional rankings. Championships are this weekend, people!

It is a great day for me to sign up to work a bout in New Jersey. (Dammit!)

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Ria posted:

It is a great day for me to sign up to work a bout in New Jersey. (Dammit!)

I just wanted to say, that after that game I'm kinda glad I went. 143 to 141 was the final score. It was messy, but fantastically exciting. :D

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

WindyMan posted:

I don't know about that, there were a ton of great games Friday and Saturday.

Oh, I'm not saying that I would've rather been there than watching them, but it wasn't as bad, comparatively, as I thought it would be.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Apropos to this discussion can I tell you how much I love the fact that Sin City Skates' website, under the wheels, says

Sin City Skates posted:

By the way, "durometer" is sort of bullshit. Read up on it.
I love that they don't pull any punches, even if it's on a professional sales site.

So, I'll also posit this question to you guys. I got some R3s a while back, and tightened the front trucks on each of the skates so tight that the bushings are now squishing, and I cannot loosen the trucks anymore (i.e. When I turn the nut, the bolt moves with it, meaning that the bolt has stripped the interior of the nylon plate where it attaches).

Should I even bother trying to take it apart to get at the bushings, or should I just chalk it up to stupidity, get a better pair of skates (ones that hold a 250+ lb. person better) and don't do that again?

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Aericina posted:

Those nylon plates will get you every time. You can't really expect any skate that has nylon plates (usually on the lower end of the spectrum) really hold up to more than hobbyist skating, if there is such a thing. That being said, bushings have always been a pain in the rear end for me as well. The bushings on my aluminum plated 265s are so non-squishy that I can barely keep the trucks on.

So, I guess AL-YEW-MIN-EE-UM is probably better, eh? Would something like http://sincityskates.com/2nd/rebel.html (the second or third, ~$239 ones, with the aluminum plates) be good? I'm planning on doing a lot of skate-reffing instead of NSOing and theorycrafting next season.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Redfont posted:

Woo! Thanks for all the information. I'm still going over everything, making sure everything is in order and whatnot and trying to decide what would be best. Do you think it would be best to bump up from the R3s to a pair of Rebel Fugitives, then? I do like Sin City Skates from what I've seen so far, but I may or may not be stuck with this first site (which isn't so bad I guess), depending on when I can talk to my sister next, who offered to get a gift certificate for me for my birthday.

But anyway, alright, I'm thinking the wide wheels will do good, do you think I should go with 93A or skip down to an 88A? I feel like I don't want them to be TOO soft, but I don't want a set of wheels that I'm going to break my face on, either.

Other than that, depending on what sort of swag I can get from my family, I'll more than likely either go with the R3s or the Fugitives. Apparently both of the plates are plastic which is :( but I can live with that, I don't think it will be a big deal for me at the get-go anyway. If I can somehow manage to get a whole bunch from them, I'd love to get some Riedell Vandals with the 265 boots, they look slick as hell.

EDIT: Also the whole different components thing is kind of :psyduck: for me, I'm used to everything being one thing, I'm not sure if I should be referring to the skates by what the boot are or what something else is or what, I'm just sort of going off of what the names the sites give me, haha.

As far as I can tell, there are prepackaged skates that have names that have this plate or this boot and are generally the same thing (usually with one or two exceptions, that are then named). Unless you get a completely custom set of skates, using those names won't confuse many people that are in the know.

(Please correct me if otherwise)

And thanks, Scorpio, for letting us know about the Five Stride shop, it looks awesome. I'm now desiring the SheDevils that they carry. Anyone got knowledge on the powerdyne plates and riedell 126 boots, or the SheDevils themselves?

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Aericina posted:

Also note that just having your hands or wrists touch someone's back doesn't mean it's a penalty. The penalty is called based on impact. You can also slam into someone's back and if she doesn't move a bit, no penalty.

Exactly. Have a great skater that's as steady as an oak? Well, sucks to be her, 'cause if someone plows right into her, but she doesn't budge, it isn't a penalty. One of the detriments to being such an awesome skater, I guess. Badge of honor?

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Redfont posted:

Sweet, thanks for the links. There's supposed to be a local match here tomorrow, I'm planning on trying to drag my family out to watch it, at least my brother who's on board, as long as the baby doesn't decide she wants to be difficult that day. Hopefully it's as good as the one I stopped by in Florida.

EDIT: What sort of stuff would a team require volunteer-wise other than a ref? I've never been too good with recognizing rule-breaking, but I'm sure I'd pick it up over time. In any case, what sort of stuff might I be able to do to help a team during the time I'm learning all the rules and how to recognize penalties and the like? (I forgot about Wednesday so I'm going to be finding out this Saturday instead, but I figured I'd ask.)

Also just for clarification, both jammers can score points during the bout, the lead jammer can just call off the bout early if she wants, right? Some of the rules for roller derby seem so complicated when I'm just looking at them on paper.

(Now, this is WFTDA, leagues that aren't can be playing by different rules, but yeah)

Well, "Bout" is an entire game. What you're looking for is "jam." A jam is analogous to a "down" in football or the shot clock in basketball. You're looking for that up-to-2 minute section of time in derby in which the jammers score points. A lead jammer can call off the jam before the two minute mark if they want to, given that they have not yet left to go to the penalty box. It is designated by a flourish of hands-going-to-hips.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

WindyMan posted:

You are making the assumption that the WFTDA knew about their personal relationship. When skaters and refs alike use their skate names, the person assigning refs to games is more than likely not going to know all the details of relations between skaters or refs or NSOs. They just connect the dots to make sure games are staffed. At least, that's my assumption of how it works.

If anything, they would have known that ref and skater would have been from the same league. While this alone is very unlikely to cause a problem or conflict...

Of course they will. But you're missing the point entirely.

Referees in any sport, by their definition, must be neutral. This applies in the "call 'em as you see 'em" sense as well as an individual's associations or actions outside of games they call.

Remember Tim Donaghy? He was the NBA official that got caught in a gambling scandal. Long story short, he tried to alter the outcome of games to the benefit of gamblers by not calling them fairly. Obviously, that's a huge conflict of interest. NBA refs are perceived as a shady bunch to begin with, but that just blew the whole thing up.

I bring him up as an extreme example. Obviously, what this guy was doing was bad for officiating and made the league look bad. But where do you draw the line between what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior by a ref?

-A ref who is affiliated with a gambling ring may try to change the outcome to his favor.
-A ref who would benefit from one team winning over another may try to change the outcome.
-A ref who knows someone that would benefit from one team winning over another may try to change the outcome.
-A ref who knows someone on a team that would benefit from one team winning over another may try to change the outcome.

Feel free to fill in other shades of grey between those examples, but surely you can understand why any of those above would be bad for the ref and the league that ref works for. If you can't, where do you draw the line and why would one situation not be worse than the other?

Going back to the "Refgate" incident at Champs, that ref may have well called a perfect game, made no mistakes, and not done anything to compromise his neutrality. Great, good for him. But that's still not the point.

The point is that other people outside of the derby circle who found that out may think, "hey, that ref and that skater are related. Maybe that ref gave that skater a break with calls?"

The "maybe" plants the seed that says that perhaps, just maybe, the officiating isn't 100% fair because of that. From the perspective of an outside viewer, just that they are related could put a 0.01% amount of doubt into their head, and 99.99% fair isn't 100% fair.

Just the fact that people are talking about it at all is proof enough to raise doubt. The only way to prevent this doubt from cropping up in the first place is to prevent it from happening in the future. And if you want to go even further, you can make sure absoultely sure it won't be an issue in this year's Championships (and regionals too, if possible) that all the refs/NSOs from a league can't staff a game that has their team in it, or to pick them last if no other are available. Surely there are enough refs around to ensure that.

fake edit: Plus what Dominion said.

Uhm, as far as I know most refs are still volunteers. Until you start paying them and they have an "area of reffing" that is a span of space where they travel around and do derby reffing, you're really not going to find the "completely neutral" stance you are seeing.

Yes, it's becoming a business and a respected sport, but that doesn't change the fact that most of the people out there wearing the stripes are just doing it for the love of the game and, yes, are probably connected to one of the leagues or another. It's just the way this nomad of a sport is.

One of these days, maybe, WFTDA will be up there with other sports and referees will have that kind of ability and freedom, but until then, you may just be looking at an idealistic point of view that isn't going to happen right away. And you need to be prepared to accept that.

That being said, I have never once met a ref that wouldn't call it just as hard on their own girls as on the opposing team. Every one that I've met (and I've met dozens at this point) are there for the love of the game and to try to call it fairly. There isn't money exchanging hands (that I've ever heard of) and there isn't even really even any monetary of physical compensation for winning the tournaments. Just bragging rights and a top spot on the national rankings.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

Most refs I know effectively DO have an "area of reffing" that they travel and ref in, because there's a lot of smaller leagues around here that need refs.

I'm not saying that any ref would intentionally cheat. I'm saying that it's practically impossible to be unbiased about someone you love, when making hundreds of decisions in a fast-paced game that is already difficult to officiate, and removing that doubt is easier than the potential repercussions of not removing it.

If anything, many refs would overcompensate out of a desire to not show favoritism and would wind up being HARDER on their SO than on some other random skater. That's STILL a bad thing.

Also, I get that they are all volunteers, but that is not an excuse for the sport as a whole to accept either sub-par officiating or lax officiating policies. The amount of certifications refs are required to go through sort of means the "but they can't be expected to be held to standards because they are volunteers" argument doesn't hold water. We already hold them to standards, and as you said, they do this because they love it. I respect that a great deal, but you can't build a sport on the honor system.

E: sorry. :)

Re: Area of reffing--Yeah, that's true. But it's not codified, if that makes any sense. There are not specific regions where people are actually deployed. I go around and do NSO stuff at different leagues for games that have nothing to do with my home league but that doesn't mean that I've been told to. I might have just as much a connection with someone on that other league as I do with my own league. So it doesn't mean that I would be completely free of bias there.

Re: Favoritism/cheating--yeah, that's understandable. And those people tend to be weeded out by their own reffing staff. And that usually happens when someone ends up taking it wayyyy too seriously for their own good in this. Maybe that's just my opinion. But "policing your own" has happened a lot in the almost-4 years that I've been doing this, that I've seen.

Re: Standards--I'm not making any arguments about having standards. I am completely FOR standards, both of ethics, and of officiation itself. But I'm just saying that at this stage of the game, it might be a little much to ask for. Certification is one thing, but removing "all bias" out of the game at this stage... I'm not sure it's possible. I'm looking for that day, though. I'm not sure we're arguing--I'm just calling it how I'm seeing it at the moment.

Aericina posted:

Not true in a couple of different ways.
I don't know how other regions do it, or even other leagues, but Naptown only uses head refs from other leagues. We'll only use 2 home town refs per bout, 1 as jam ref and another as IPR or OPR. Two can come from the visiting team, and aside from the Head Ref, the other two must be visiting refs from other leagues. JR's never officiate their home team the during the second half.

I had a travel radius of about 200 miles where I would guest ref for other leagues, and part of our code of conduct for Naptown refs stated that we had to have attendance at 60% of practices and something that broke down to 2 away visiting ref spots per month, or we were ineligible to ref at home. I never got "paid" when I would guest ref for another league, but a lot of leagues provide a travel stipend, a gift bag of a new whistle, logo gear and granola bar or a free t-shirt. Certain leagues actually require that you fill out a W-4 if you receive cash for travel. I never saw it as being paid, but as an appreciation for using your gas and time to help someone else out.

edit: Dominion you're a ninja.

We keep one head ref for the entire game just for continuity's sake. If someone else has a head ref we have no problem yielding the floor. We always keep at least one neutral jam ref (Whether their team or another local ref). Yadda, yadda. We try very hard to keep at least the vision of propriety when it comes to this.

The problem ends up coming when we get visiting leagues that bring, oh, say, one ref. When they said they would bring five. OR, when they have no refs whatsoever. I don't really know. Or when their refs don't know anything. Not that that's a majority of the time (although it might be, I don't really care as a jam timer). But we've gotten borrowed refs from leagues two or three hours away just to try to get things "fair." It may not always be possible.

I'm just commenting on the way it is right now, not necessarily the way it should be. If that makes any sense.

edit:trying for clarification.

Ria fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 3, 2011

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Aericina posted:

This actually recently came up in our committee. What we've tried to do is gauge how the visiting refs seem on seriousness of bringing their crew. We have a good contract of 5 people show up just to watch anyway, but we try to put them on notice when we feel that there may be a problem. The head ref for our league, Grand Ref Otto, is amazing at this and we have never run into an issue. Our very first bout we had one ref come when he insisted on bringing several, and he ended up bowing out 15 minutes into the first half due to an "injury". GRO brought a very competent JR from Evansville to OPR and fill in if necessary (the only other option was to bring me in from OPR which would make two hometown refs at JR), and what do you know.

Just for the record I love what this thread has become.

For all you newbies out there who are volunteering or new refs, you should like "Roller Derby Rule of the Day" on Facebook. This was posted a bit ago:

RE: Bowing Out--Yeah, totally. IF that were an available situation, I don't think any of us in our league would have a problem with that. I mean gently caress--I'd love to actually WATCH the sport that I love, if I could. But I'm part of the people that are there to produce the poo poo, so. I do what I can. So does the rest of my crew.

RE: Derby Rule of the Day (Facebook) -- I like it. But I would be wary for anyone that thinks that it's actually RUN by WFTDA. It is not. In fact, WFTDA is kinda getting pissy about it, both on misappropriation grounds and proprietary information grounds. Just be careful and defer to WFTDA if there's a judgment (i.e. "But that page said...").

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Redfont posted:

Hey, thanks for the tip, Ria. This page looks pretty nice, and I have a feeling I'm going to be learning a lot from it.

Also, aren't inlines allowed in roller derby, just discouraged? I don't remember remember if I've seen it in the rules or not. It might have just been the personal preference of one team for practice maybe, but I distinctly remember the words allowed but not preferable.

I was also under the impression that older roller derby was sort of like a co-ed version of a men's lacrosse team, with lots of checks and bruises and not many rules. But I suppose it could go either way. Maybe that's just the way I had it pictured in my head.

Going back to my original question
A) Thanks for the answer on what it was skaters aren't supposed to read about
B) The reason they aren't supposed to read about it seems to make pretty good sense.

Personally, I sort of like roller derby where it is right now, it's got kind of an underground feel that ties in well with the skater's deameanour (like their roller derby names and the whole punk nature) and just the general atmosphere of the sport. I'm a little worried that eventually it's going to really catch on and gain some steam, and it's just going to turn into another boring, regulated, rule-riddled, safe sport on TV that no one will want to watch.

Now, take under the assumption that I'm with a WFTDA ruleset team (others may be different):

RE: Inlines -- They are only used by refs. And even then, they are "strongly encouraged" to use quad skates. The rollergirls themselves have to use quads, there is no argument on that one.

Re: History -- Yeah, well. Roller Derby as it stands was originally a spin-off of dance marathons back in depression-era America. They were lap skating marathons that turned into full-contact melees. It was co-ed then. It was big in the 30s and 40s. It became commercialized. And gimmicky. And then fell underground.

Then they started back up in the 70s as a nostalgia thing that ended up being commercialized right out of the gate, and was closer to WWF-style things. The hits were real, but the outcomes were staged. That sort of thing. It, too fell out of favor with the general public after a little while. I'm not sure if they were co-ed. I think a lot of leagues were mostly women.

Late 80s, early 90s ended up resurging it due to inlines becoming popular, and they were televised. That's where people generally remember them (if they don't remember the '70s one.) It was, again, pretty staged-outcome brawls again. I don't remember if they were co-ed or not, but I think they were.

This last one started in the American south and south west in the early '00s (I think 2003? But I might be off by a couple years). LA/Austin/SD seem to be the earliest big groups that started them. It then popped up. "Flat Track" ended up popping up due to the sheer amount of space, money, and time was invested in keeping a banked track, and a lot of these groups were amateur leagues that could barely get enough money scrapped together to rent time at a rink. So, flat-track derby was born. Not staged, this one's pretty durn legit.

I'm not sure as far as the Womens' Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) and the Old School Derby Association (OSDA)'s histories. I think WFTDA started first, and then OSDA was there because of diverging mindsets with regards to rules' stringency, and safety vs. full-contact. Neither is right or wrong, and they're both the same sort of rules (from a 5k' level, anyway).

As far as things like Whip It! are concerned, Austin's TXRD is not affiliated with any particular league structure or rule set than their own, as far as I can tell. They are much rowdier than either WFTDA or OSDA would allow. They're their own thing. Unfortunately that lessens the love some people have for it because it's less of a spectacle, but I guess that's what happens when you have different levels and differing ideas with regards to what's "the true nature of derby" or "what it should be about."

Hopefully that helps?

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

OrpheusFaust posted:

Or at least, that's what I thought you meant by "in roller derby", but as its been pointed out, it's okay for refs. but not encouraged. I don't think I've seen a ref on inlines, either.

There's a couple refs in my league that use inlines, but that's because they used to play hockey in them and are used to the way they work. So, I mean, it can happen, ref-wise, but it's not the majority by any stretch of the imagination.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dancingthroughlife posted:

A co-worker of my husband's has started a new league. I'm going to see a practice on Saturday.
Am I understanding this right, once a name is taken it can't be used by anyone else?
I'm excited to watch the practice! :)

Yeah! Search for it on http://twoevils.org/rollergirls/ (which is the official name roster). Though! It seems many leagues these days are having people use their real names. I guess more divergence between the spectacle and the sport.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

Official Unofficial name roster. It's considered 'polite' to register your name and not use the same as someone else's without permission, but there's not much that can be done about people who do otherwise.

Well, yeah, but it's pretty community-enforced. I dunno but I know I wouldn't want to be someone that wasn't original enough to make my own name or get permission, and deal with the ramifications in such a community... Especially when I'm just starting out.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

The name registry sort of gets to me. I am really strongly in favor of one existing, because as a fan I don't want every team to have a Cherry Bomb and a Black Widow and so on. I like the unique names. But the combination of the rapid expansion of roller derby and the glacial speed with which twoevils handles name registration is really not working.

I get that it's basically one person handling all these name requests by hand, but it can literally take up to 6 months to get a name approved or denied. And then in the meantime you find out that while you were being polite and not using your name until it was official, some other girl across the country has been skating with that name for months and happened to register a day before you so you don't have a name. Sorry.

I don't like to pull out the "come on, I could do this faster myself" card, but this is a situation in which it is really time-sensitive stuff and there's no reason at all it should take months to take an email from someone, check it against a list, and respond, even with thousands of requests a week. I know a girl who has been trying to change her name since she transferred to us months ago, and keeps coming up with names that are not on the registry, only to have them rejected when she sends them in because of girls farther ahead in the pipeline than her, and there's no way she could have known that.

Well, if I remember correctly a while back TwoEvils wanted to get rid of the responsibility of doing that but nobody wanted to take up the mantle. *shrug* I'm not saying that TwoEvils is the best thing, but it's better than nothing. If that makes any sense...

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

I agree, it's better to have a bad name registry than no name registry. It's just frustrating to see girls bang their heads against it when the sport has outgrown the current solution.

It is frustrating. There a lot of things about this sport that are very frustrating from a logistics past-the-fan-wall perspective about this sport. On many fronts.

Nowadays I just struggle to reconcile the frustration with the love of the sport and the girls, you know?

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

Absolutely. I do the same, and my girlfriend has a similar struggle, being a home-league caliber player who is in a city/league very focused on travel team and national ranking type things.

She wants to skate because it's fun, doesn't really care about rankings or travel, and it seems there's less and less room for that as time goes on. At least in our local league.

Yeah, I used to have friends in another league that just wanted to play. Just play, you know? Have fun, do the outfits, have the names, be dorky, make a ruckus, play the sport. That's it. The professional sport, they said, killed their enthusiasm. I can kind of understand why now. Pity, though, that league died a ear or two ago. =/

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

Yeah, that's happening in leagues everywhere. Not all of them fold of course, but every league that has any success at some point has to address that divide.

You have, say, 100 girls who just want to play to have fun, or found derby because it's empowering or pro-women, or like the aesthetic even if they aren't great at the game. Some of them are pretty good, great even, but they are there primarily because they love to play derby and have fun.

The problem as I see it from them is not only is there internal pressure by those smaller groups of "I used to play a sport and IT SHOULD BE THIS WAY" mentality, but there's external pressure. Once you're WFTDA, and you're ranked, you don't really want to pony up the cash to go to another league and play if they're not WFTDA. It's like a snob-like mentality.

Around my area there were about 6 leagues that weren't WFTDA yet and we would play them. As they started going WFTDA they stopped wanting to play our league. And as it went, so did we, just so that we could GET games that weren't ridiculous 280-to-180 divides.

Dominion posted:

And of course when a new girl comes in who looks like the next superstar, somehow all the assessment dates and draft schedules line up perfectly and she's on the travel team in under a month.

This right here is something that annoys the heck out of me too. I mean, it doesn't happen on every league, but it seems like the "superstar" player always gets the best poo poo. And I guess in a "that happens in every sport" level I should just get over it, but I don't think it's necessarily -right-.

AAAANNNYYYWWAAYYY.

Since this thread isn't just for insiders, I would like to take this time to mention that these problems aren't the bread-and-butter of societal life in Derby, just a few consequential gripes of people being in the mix for a while. It's apt to change, and probably will. So, yeah. Sorry if I brought the tenor of the conversation down.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

Current scuttlebutt is that WFTDA is considering beta-testing a ruleset which eliminates the concept of minor penalties. Any thoughts on how this would work? Would current minors just go away and become legal, or would they all get upgraded to majors, or what?

I can certainly see the benefit in having less ticky-tack calls to make, but some stuff needs to be illegal but really isn't a big enough deal to warrant time in the box or a power jam.

Well, I've been around for almost 4 years now, and not one ruleset has ever not had minors in it. I would assume that it's just a dumb rumor, to be honest.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Aericina posted:

I brought up the fact that WFTDA was considering ditching minor penalties when this thread was newish in GBS, and it was brushed off then as well. I would give the rumor some consideration as it keeps popping up every year or so, but I don't know how well the member leagues would vote on it to be honest.

I mean, I don't even know how that'd work, if they're trying to become more "like all the rest of the sports, WE GOTTA B SUPR SRS, U GUYZ," then getting rid of minors? The accumulation of minors is just "well, we can't get you on a major but since you keep doing them we might as well call you on them in aggregate the same way we would if you acted once at a higher severity."

How would it work in the way it's been discussed?

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

WindyMan posted:

In old-school roller derby, they also had major and minor penalties. Yes, they did call penalties back then, but they were less frequent and more severe. Major penalties were 2 minutes and minor penalties were 1 minute, and considering jams lasted for 60 seconds, penalties became more significant. This is, of course, relative to the time they were out there on the track, not the actual result on the track.

Although I absolutely love the fact that skaters get whistled off of the track immediately for major penalties—this is one of the disadvantages of banked track derby—I think the fact that so many penalties are called on the flat track speaks to the inexperience of skaters than anything else. I like how the WFTDA went from 5 penalties per half to 7 per game for a penalty ejection, because no one likes to see sloppy roller derby.

I think if minors were going to be taken out, it should be a no harm-no foul situation. For instance, if someone commits a minor back block, if the person in front doesn't get knocked down or lose position, and the person behind does't gain an advantage, then why should it a penalty at all?

No impact-no penalty is already in the rules. They ascribe the differences between the four levels:

No Impact-no penalty: inconsequential touching, poo poo that happens during the course of the game that doesn't impact skating, or position.

Minor: Consequential touching but only stuff that makes someone stutter or lose slight relative position.

Major: Consequential touching of stuff that causes a major loss of relative position or someone going down.

Expulsion: Pretty much each of these ends up being an intentional fight-maneuver.

So if we take out minors... I guess we can have plenty of "I'm just going to back block, she'll stumble, she'll stumble, she'll stumble" and that's not called? I guess that could be the case, but, eeeeeh? I dunno, it seems fine the way it is at the moment, but maybe I'm just biased and I'm tired of major retools. XD

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

I have a question about back blocking vs tripping. Take the following situation:

Red Jammer skates directly into the back of Blue Blocker. Blue Blocker stumbles and falls, causing Red Jammer to then trip and fall over her.

Is that a backblock on Red or a tripping on Blue? Because I have seen it called both ways. I would think it would be backblock on Red, since she was the one who initiated the whole situation, but maybe I am wrong.

The legality of a block resides with the initiator of that block. The red jammer would get a major back block due to it being of a "major" intensity (the phraseology escapes me at the moment, both in losing relative position within the pack and for making the skater fall).

The only way blue blocker* would get a penalty is if she didn't "fall small" or flailed around, or intentionally tripped the red jammer. If the red jammer just stumbled over her because she knocked the blocker down, then the blocker wouldn't be assessed anything.

Edit: *heh, blueblockers. Like the sunglasses.

Ria fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 18, 2011

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

Does the situation change if, say, the Red jammer is significantly better than the blue blocker, such that Blue attempts to booty block Red, but bounces/slides off, falls, and Red trips over her? Assume the block itself was legal but ineffective.

Is it basically the ref's call on whether Blue was falling as safely as she could?

Yeah, she wouldn't get a penalty.

As far as falling is concerned, "Falling Small" is usually "In the fetal position with forearms and shins towards the floor." Kind of like the "Duck and Cover" position.

Even if it's not exactly that, as long as she's not sprawling and not flailing, there is not usually anything that is called. I hate to say it's ref's discretion, because there are ways of telling the difference between "someone who's controlled falling" and "Someone who's being a danger to others on the track." So, I guess, the answer to your second question is... Kinda?

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Aericina posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and quote this and leave it at that.

Pretty much. Or perhaps some of us are WFTDA plants that want to confuse the issue, cloud the public's ideas, and make people stop guessing and wait until a new rule set comes out...

:tinfoil:

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

If I were a plant, I would be bound by an NDA not to reveal whether or not I am a plant.

Yess... Yessss.... Exxxxcellent. *steeps fingers* All is going according to plan.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

I wish! I love watching other leagues.

I'm going to be jam timing our first home (and first rated!) bout in Lehigh Valley, PA.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

Are you with Lehigh Valley? The first bout I watched was the season closer last year in Manchester with NHRD going up against Lehigh Valley. I think we're heading down that way sometime this year.

Aericina, I find jam reffing easier for me. I think concentrating on one person and tracking many things is easier for me than tracking less, but watching far more.

Yeah, I'm with Lehigh Valley. I wasn't at that bout because I was in the middle of doing about eighty other things that week. Otherwise yeah, I'm Jam Timer extraordinaire.

Right now I'm being groomed for inside pack reffing. I've actually been starting to pick it up, and I'm having fun being able to see the entire pack and look at the dynamics and movements of the girls. Now that I have my "ref eyes" (or at least 70% I think, which is getting better as time progresses), it's become a lot more fun!

WrongWay Feldman posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you all use for scoreboarding? My girlfriend recently joined the So Ill Roller Girls (WFTDA apprentice team! Yay!) and I've joined in as the scoreboard guy for home games. Currently, I'm using the one designed by the Carolina Roller Girls (CRG Scoreboard). It's been working out pretty well, especially with the 1.6 update.

There's also Poang, but I just don't like it as much, especially with our smaller projection screen.

We used that this last bout. It worked well! It takes a bit of getting used to, as some things automatically advance. We lost a few jams (i.e. premature advance-ulation) but other than that it worked really well! And the additional ads/screen stuff worked really well.

Before that we had a typical middle school basketball light-bulb-contraption that worked horribly most of the time.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

1) Yes. The player would be out of play. Though for purposes concerning where she was "in the pack" (for purposes of cutting, for example), she still has a "location in the pack," and if she decides to start skating and get in front of any of the people she was previously behind, she'd get a cutting penalty.

2) Yeah, you can't get a "destroying the pack" penalty if the pack stays formed.

3) True. This would be assessed, in order of ref being able to see it, either the last person to stop skating in this scenario, the pivot, or the closest player.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

WindyMan posted:

Thanks, I thought that's how it worked. Now do me a favor and take off your referee hat, and think about this from the sporting fans' view of roller derby.

If Team X can goat one blocker from Team O, that gives Team X a huge advantage, in that they would be able to slow the pack to a crawl and allow their jammer to score faster. It would also be somewhat difficult for Team O to break that wall, since they would need to skate back to Team X or else they would be out of play. We can all agree that this situation happens quite a lot in derby, yes?

Then, after Team X gets well-positioned in the pack to setup a goat wall, all the O-blocker has to do to thwart that—with zero skill, effort, or teamwork—is to step (or get knocked) out of bounds. So instead of Team X getting to slow down or stop the pack with their superior pack work, they are forced to keep the pack going forward (if they don't want to get a penalty) due to the legal(!) actions of one person, nullifying their advantage. The lone blocker would eventually have to come back in to avoid getting passed for a point, but after she does she can just repeat the same situation to keep the pack moving or buy enough time for the rest of Team O to get better positioned in the pack.

Here's the $64 question: How is that fair to Team X, that such a loophole in the rules would allow for this to happen? To be clear, I'm not saying this has happened before, but just that it could happen, and happen at a critical juncture of a game. Say, during the last jam of a tie game?

I don't know. I see it as a way of evening it out. Ideally, all of them are supposed to be together, mixing it up. If four of them are focusing on one opposing blocker in such a coordinated fashion instead of trying to grab the other blockers, then there are other things that could happen, such as:

1) The team creating the "goat wall" will probably let the other jammer in, since they're not focusing on the other blockers.
2) The team forward will be able to create a pretty powerful three person wall for the other team's jammer.
3) From my experience in watching and whatnot, when something like that happens, penalties start getting issued just due to sloppiness. When one of the girls can't get past the others, and ganging up is happening, either the solo blocker starts slipping, or the other girls get too aggressive, and something happens.

Besides, if she's just going out to avoid a block, she will be issued a penalty for skating out of bouts to avoid a block. (SOOBTAAB) And I don't see how it's any different from the girl falling (thereby being out of play again) and having the exact same situation.

I don't think it would happen all that often.

Edit: I just thought of two extra things. Usually when that stuff happens, they end up swarming the other girl and get a "direction of play" penalty due to skating backwards. Or a "failure to reform" penalty, since the girls in the front don't have to skate backwards to reform the pack (if I remember correctly). So. It's a valid strategy for the girls doing the swarming, just as taking a knee or going out of bounds (as long as it's not to avoid a block) would be for the one getting swarmed. Six in one, half dozen in the other, still, to me.

Ria fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 28, 2011

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Re: Spookydonut: I'm not sure if what Windy was saying is right in my head anymore or not, vis-a-vis the original question. If the person goes out of bounds, but the rest of her team is still within pack designation, just a "strung out" pack, she might get skating out of bounds penalties, but she isn't going to be doing a "destroying the pack" penalty, as the pack is just separated, not completely "no pack"-ish.

Diagram it out. I'll probably agree with you if it's explicitly shown. *shrug*

Re: Windy: That's going to be the way most sports are. If you have the rules, and there's a loophole, it's going to be exploited. That, and clarifications on specific rules (i.e. getting rid of discrep-o-matics) are the reason the rules have ballooned from 10 pages when I started to 30-something now. It's just the way of the beast. WFTDA will probably respond to stuff like that with more rules clarifying what should be happening. *shrug* I don't really think it's a good thing or a bad thing--it's just what happens when a game becomes more intellectual instead of just brute force. Which I think is kind of cool, and a neat dynamic between the rule writers and the game players (which, interestingly enough, are the same people, IIRC).

Re: Aercinia: :ninja:

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

I really shouldn't have to diagram it out.
If theres not a player from each team within 10ft of each other there's no pack.

I'll just leave this here;

See, that's the distinction I had to make. I didn't know exactly what distance that was. I kept reading "still in the pack." Meh. Okay, you're right.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Anyway, so, snark aside, I still love this sport. :unsmith:

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Yeah I think I've seen it a couple times, but it's more the "two in a row" syndrome. Especially when poodling. Poodle-serve-whoops-major.

Though I do agree that if a jammer can't do it even with the minute or so downtime between each one, then maybe she should be benched for a bit.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

Jammers don't poodle though. That would defeat the purpose. And also be impossible.

I just meant in general, not necessarily jammers. Two separate, though not exclusive, topics between my two lines. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

For the record, I love poodling and think it's hysterical.

Especially when the girl isn't noticed poodling then has to try to catch up to the pack.

:haw:

• Locked thread