Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baldrik
Apr 18, 2006

I never forget a pushy
Directed By: Daniel Barber
Starring: Michael Caine (and others)
Released: November 2009
IMDB Blurb: An elderly ex-serviceman and widower looks to avenge his best friend's murder by doling out his own form of justice.

Like a British Gran Torino only a little more satisfying. This is a vigilante thriller with an unlikely hero: A pensioner. Michael Caine, in the titular role, plays a recently widowed elderly ex-marine who gets fed up with the neighborhood druggies and lowlifes. These people are absolute scum and completely believable, the first part of the film is depressing as the efforts of the police seem pointless. Harry Brown lives in an area rife with punks who's only role in life are to disrupt the lives of others and commit all manner of violent crimes. From harassing an old man to murdering a mother walking her child, all the while dealing drugs and turning the neighborhood in to a rotten place to be. The film does a good job of building up the frustration and general feeling of helplessness that becomes the motivation for Harry. Harry misses his wife's passing away because he had to detour around a walkway at night filled with gang kids. His best friend is continually harassed by the gang and tried to get back at them and they stab him. You want to see Harry take action, knowing he has military training, but at the same time you don't because he's a frail old man. When he finally does he's surprisingly effective and methodical.

I like British films and things with an overall British "feel" so I may be partial, this movie was great. Micheal Caine is brilliant in the role as expected. He plays a perfect gentleman with a dark side. The movie is well paced and the action scenes are believable and gritty. There's a few good "gently caress yes" moments. Like when he turns the knife on the guy in the ally. or When he shoots the guy in the head through the windshield from 30 feet away. I found this movie satisfying!

4.5/5
Some weak acting by the female lead detective, but otherwise its an awesome movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU