Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
Disclaimer- You may be voiding your warranty by rooting your phone.

:siren: This post is loving PERFECT and CRITICISM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. :siren:
No, but seriously, I'm one dude, I can't keep up with the entire Android Dev Scene. If something needs to be added or is incorrect, let me know here.

Aftermarket Android

Turning into :snoop: :snoop:

Your source for All Things Root.

Take a look at the it might answer some questions.

Root - The reason why you're here.

The term “rooting” basically means you are hacking into your phone so that you have access to the “root” folder, where the main settings can be altered as you wish. Rooting allows you to do anything and everything with your phone. For something as simple as an addon pack over a stock rom to a built from the ground-up AOSP build, rooting gives you control over your phone in a way beyond any other mobile phone. Why would you want to do this? Here is an excellent article that describes in depth what root is and the ramifications of it.

Why should I root?

Because you're an unwashed virgin nerd and have nothing else better to do.

But seriously-

• Free Wifi tethering!
  • Install CPU Kernels that allow you to underclock/overclock to save battery life.
  • Install new ROMs that completely change the OS.
  • Block ads in the web browser and apps.
  • Install an equalizer to boost your phone's sound output.
  • Complete backups allowing you to restore app+data AND the Market link so it gets updates.
  • Take screenshots of your phone.
  • Remote control your phone from your computer
  • Allowing you to use your LED flash as a flashlight.
  • Enhanced VPN support
  • Trim the fat by removing applications you'll never use
  • Theme your Android
  • Market Enabler - paid apps in non-paid apps markets.
  • Give yourself superuser access, which opens up dozens of applications to you.

Basic terms you need to know-

Rooting- Grants you access to the root folder your phone, allowing you to make all sorts of changes and install cool new software.
ROM- the OS of your phone. Sense, Motoblur, and AOSP are all different types of ROMs.
Recovery Mode- Kind of like a “safe mode” of your phone. You use this mode to make nandroid backups, install new ROMs, updates, themes, and so on.
Nandroid- A complete backup of your phone's current ROM, data, and settings, saved to your SD card. You want to do this before you do any major loving with your phone, so you have a backup to return to.

WARNINGS

• There is a possibility that you will fatally damage ("brick") your phone by rooting it, depending on the method. AFAIK most of methods below have general support on XDA and won't cause problems.
  • You are probably voiding your warranty by rooting your phone.
  • Do NOT accept over-the-air updates if you root your phone. You can potentially gently caress up your phone this way. Check the XDA forums to see if it is safe, or if there is a ROM that incorporates the update, or a workaround.
  • A note about radios: If you decide to manually flash a radio, read this. If you flash the same radio version twice you can brick your phone. If you flash a radio that is incompatible with your phone, you can brick it. Be very very very careful when flashing radios; you usually don't have to so leave it alone.

How do I root my phone??

SuperOneClickRoot supposedly will provide root access for most phones. Try it out and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, read on.

T-Mobile G2/HTC Vision: You can use an app called Visionary and then another process to gain full root.

Post-November 2010 HTC Evo- HTC updated their software to make it harder to root. For now there's a manual process that is a bit tricky. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=829045

Pre-November 2010 HTC Evo - Lucky you! There is an easy one-click rooting process that can be done with the use of unrEVOked, a desktop application that does all the work for you. For a detailed guide, click here

HTC Incredible -You're lucky too!! The one-click unrEVOked process works for you as well. For more information click here.

HTC Desire- The unrEVOked method works for you as well. For more information, click here.

Motorola Droid 2 - A one-click rooting program is available for the Droid 2. For more information, click here.

Motorola Droid X has a rooting process here.

Samsung Galaxy S- Has a root method here.

Samsung Epic 4G- Root method here

Other Samsung Phones have a one-click rooting process available here. It works with the following phones-

GT-I9000
Captivate SHG-I897
Vibrant SGH-959
GT-I9000M
Epic SPH-D700 (maybe)

Other Phones- Universal Androot has a one-click rooting process for the following phones.

Google Nexus One (2.2)
Google G1 (1.6)
HTC Hero (2.1)
HTC Magic (1.5) (Select Do not install Superuser)
HTC Tattoo (1.6)
Dell Streak (2.1)
Motorola Milestone (2.1)
Motorola XT701
Motorola XT800 (2.1)
Motorola ME511
Motorola Charm
Motorola Droid (2.01/2.1/2.2 with FRG01B)
Sony Ericsson X10 (1.6)
Sony Ericsson X10 Mini (1.6)
Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro (1.6)
Acer Liquid (2.1)
Acer beTouch E400 (2.1)
Samsung Galaxy Beam
Samsung galaxy 5 (gt-i5500)
Vibo A688 (1.6)
Lenovo Lephone (1.6)
LG Ally (2.1)
LG GT540 (1.6)
Gigabyte GSmart G1305

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
I'm Rooted. What now?

Well, you don't have to do anything! But the following software is cool!

Titanium Backup- First program you should download. A program that will back up your apps + app data, as well as your system data. You can also use it to get rid of Sprint/Verizon apps that you don't like. Note- don't try deleting any HTC or Motorola apps or you will gently caress up your phone!
Rom Manager. Second program to download. From this app you can download and flash roms, wipe backup your current rom, wipe your data, install other flashable zips, etc.
Wireless Tether For Root Users - WiFi or Bluetooth.
AdFree - Block ads in the browser as well as apps
SetCPU – A program for overclocking/underclocking your CPU. Also available free to XDA members here. Note- you need to have installed a custom kernel in order to be able to make use of SetCPU. Check out XDA for kernels available on your phone. Note 2- Some new kernels handle the CPU better than SetCPU does so you might want to try not using this and see how your battery life is.
ShootMe- A screenshot program. Shake your phone to take a screenshot.
Root Explorer- Access your root folders. Delete protected apps you don't want, like Sprint/Verizon apps.
VNC Server- Remote control your Android phone using your computer.
Typefresh- An app for changing your system fonts. There's also a huge collection available here. Place the zip on your SD card and install it through your Recovery mode or ROM Manager.
Quick Boot- an app to quickly reboot your phone, also to recovery and bootloader modes.
MetaMorph- an app for theming your system files, like your notification bar, battery meter, etc. Check around XDA to see if there are metamorph themes available for your phone.
JuiceDefender is an app that saves battery life by turning your 3G off under certain conditions, like your display off. You can set it to turn it back 3G for a set period of time, like 30s every 10 minutes. Some CDMA phones need root access for it to function correctly.

Roms-

As mentioned above, a ROM is basically a different variation of the Android OS for your phone. There are various reasons for installing a new ROM. Some ROMs might give you faster speed, more battery life, certain customization features you might like, and so on. Browse the XDA forums for your phone and check out the roms there to see what you might like.

How Do I Install a Rom?

Before you install a rom, run Titanium Backup to store all your apps/data on your SD card to restore later. Note- if you are going from Sense to AOSP (like Cyanogen) do not restore data, as they use different databases.

The easy, automated way to do this is through a market program called ROM Manager. ROM Manager will show you a list of available ROMs for your phone, download it for you, wipe your phone, give you an option to back up your current ROM (do this), and restore back to previous ROMs. There's no reason not to do it this way, unless your ROM of choice is not available through this or really like booting into Recovery Mode.

If you want to do it through Recovery Mode: put the ROM zip on your SD card, boot into recovery mode, backup your current ROM, wipe your data/cache (if needed (probably)), install ZIP from SD Card.

After your new ROM boots up, download Titanium from the market and restore your apps/data.

ROMs Available on each Phone

This is a very incomplete list, since there are a large number of ROMs available for each phone. I'll just mention some of the major ones, as ROMs change rapidly as developers change and update their products.

HTC Evo

Cyanogen- CM is a popular Android build available on many phones. Used by a lot of goons because of its customization options and performance. Currently does not support 4G.
Fresh- A Sense-based ROM that has a lot of nifty features, removes Sprint software and has a battery saving kernel. Popular and also supports 4G.

HTC Incredible

Cyanogen- As mentioned above on the EVO.
Virtuous- A Sense-based ROM that is very close to stock with additional customization options.
Sky Raider- Another Sense-based ROM with significant changes made to the framework.

HTC Desire

Cyanogen- As mentioned above on the EVO.
LeeDroid- A solid Sense-based rom with a lot of theming tweaks and overclocking.

Motorola Droid 2- Droid 2 development is a little sparse right now. Here is a list of working roms.

Motorola Droid X- As far as I know, the Droid X hasn't been sufficiently hacked to allow 'full' roms. There are some themes you can install that get rid of blur, if you hate it, like Tranquility.

Samsung Galaxy S-

The Galaxy has a lag problem which there are various fixes for. Check them out here. This one seems to be the most popular.

SamSet- a themed ROM with several fixes/additions.

Nexus One- Given its status as a major dev phone there are a lot of ROMs available for the N1.

Cyanogenmod 6 is from the well known Cyanogen and focuses on being a vastly improved AOSP rom. It gets all the goodies eventually, and is the most popular rom - it's safe to say if you're new to rooting you should be using this ROM for Nexus One.
eViL's NXSense is a Froyo sense rom that is very popular and is being actively developed.

Motorola Droid/MILESTONE (WIP)

Droid Roms- Check out this page: : http://www.droidforums.net/forum/custom-roms/

Bugless Beast is one of the earlier roms, and it is basically the premiere Droid ROM. 2.1 with live wallpaper support and all the whizbangs you want. Run by a guy named Pete, it's integrated with a number of OC/UV kernels for use with SetCPU going up to 1.25Ghz I believe, though really 1.0ghz is probably better and safer for a first time user. Is often paired with the Smoked Glass theme which a lot of people seem to like. Is updated pretty regularly, and is very fast. an aside, at least one goon has fried their droid by overclocking it, please, consider if you actually need to overclock before doing so.

Cyanogen 6 has an official release version available on the Droid.

G1 and HTC Magic (WIP)

These two phones generally use the same board, and are thus compatible with roms generally - some exclusions apply, see store for details.

SPL: As the first Android device, the G1 has some technical limitations - namely that the /System partition is tiny. To get around this, there's the DangerSPL, which resizes /System using space from /Cache. SPL updates CAN brick your phone more or less permanently, so USE WITH CAUTION and follow instructions.

32A/32B: These are the board types for the G1/Magic. G1's are all 32B boards. 32A phones are the "HTC" branded Magics and the myTouch 1.2/Fender LE. These have the same RAM as the Hero and have official Sense ROMs (dependant on version). 32A is going to be superior to 32B, but B is much more common. 32A/B roms are not directly compatible, but most 32B roms can be modified with a new boot.img to run on 32A. There's an online tool to do this, I'll like it if someone finds it.

RAM Hack: People have discovered how to change the allocation of onboard memory in such a way to free up 10mb more RAM for userland. This RAM comes from the GPU's allocated RAM, meaning the phone's 3D performance will suffer. This is a generally recommended unless you do a lot of gaming on your phone. Almost any phone can be tweaked to use this, but some that are expecting it might not function well without it.

Just get CyanongenMod 5.0.8 already, you dicks.

HTC Hero and Droid Eris (WIP)

HTC Hero comes in 2 flavors: GSM and CDMA. Roms are NOT directly compatible but there's a good selection of comparable roms for both. The Droid Eris is the HTC Hero-analogue which has finally been rooted. A lot of things are similar.

Tools of the trade

Android SDK - Allows you to run the Android emulator. Honestly, nandroid and roms are so simple, there's not a lot of point unless you're a dev.
Droid Explorer - Install this. No, seriously. It sets up your Dev mode drivers and installs ADB/Fastboot, as well as easy browsing of your whole device. It will simplify your life.
Wireless Tether For Root Users - WiFi or Bluetooth. WEP-only though.

General Troubleshooting
FOR THE LOVE OF ANDROID JESUS POST YOUR PHONE/ROM WHEN ASKING FOR HELP

Logcat is a terminal command which will show you a live log of your Android device. Droid Explorer has a good logcat client which colors and adds easy saving, I highly recommend it. Look for ERROR or anything similar.

If you can't find anything in logcat, or would like to try something else, general troubleshooting applies - figure out when the problem started and anything you added/removed/changed around the same time. Try un-doing this and see if it helps.

If all else fails, there are a few options which are a bit harder. A reflash is flashing the same rom, and doing it without a wipe will KEEP your data while re-doing your /System so any issues there will be fixed. A Wipe & Reflash will restore your phone to that minty-fresh just rooted state - no data, fresh rom, hopefully no issues. You can then build it back up - Android preferences are a bit of a mess, so even with the exact same settings, you could end up fixing the issue. Titanium Backup makes a Wipe+Reflash a nearly painless procedure, so you'll find it's often the quickest way to go about it.

Important Links
  • XDA-Developers Forums - A wretched hive of scum and villainy, it is nonetheless the GoTo place for Andriod development. Most everything gets announced here at some point. General advice: Stick to the Dev and Theme/App forums for your device and focus on the OP of any given thread unless you absolutely HAVE to read through it for some reason. It makes XDA a lot more palatable.
  • MoDaCo Android - Forums. Less traffic, some better content. Most of it hits XDA. Home of the Online Kitchen.
  • AllDroid - More forums. More drama.
  • DroidForums - GUESS.
  • Goondroid Twitter List - collects the Tweets of "Important" Androiders. Has some faggotry, but a lot of poo poo gets announced here before you'll ever see it on XDA.
  • Droid Basement - Blog which seems to focus on collating XDA things (esp N1) in an easily digestable format. Could skip XDA for this and not miss much.
  • GitHub - Lots of Devs put their code up here.

Android SDK - Allows you to run the Android emulator. Honestly, nandroid and roms are so simple, there's not a lot of point unless you're a dev.
Droid Explorer - Install this. No, seriously. It sets up your Dev mode drivers and installs ADB/Fastboot, as well as easy browsing of your whole device. It will simplify your life.

HEY FUCKTARD! HELP US OUT BY POSTING YOUR PHONE/ROM/SD SETUP IF YOU WANT HELP!
[/quote]

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 27, 2010

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
The T-Mobile G2 has a one-click temporary root app in the Android Market called VISIONary. You have to have USB Debugging enabled to use it, and it only persists until you reboot. So far there are no custom ROMs for it, although some extra functionality is being hacked in through kernel modules like this one.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Online Theme Kitchen kinda owns. Unfortunately, it seems to not be outputting new zips right now. Or else Android Jesus hates me.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 20, 2010

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

The T-Mobile G2 has a one-click temporary root app in the Android Market called VISIONary. You have to have USB Debugging enabled to use it, and it only persists until you reboot. So far there are no custom ROMs for it, although some extra functionality is being hacked in through kernel modules like this one.

So apparently the G2 is Jesus reincarnated in an inanimate object. Has already been OCed to 1.42ghz

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
SuperOneClick Root is supposed to work with nearly any device that has Root. The program now runs on basically anything Lin/Win/Mac. I haven't used it but the thread is full of testimonials.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Since my post in the last thread was like fifth to last before closure, I'm re-posting it, though edited to reflect the current situation:

I rooted my Epic 4G using the one click root method. It worked, I was able to get TitaniumBackup, the Superuser app, etc...but there seemed to be a weird side-effect. I have no 3G.

I had 3G service before I rooted, and maybe half a day after, but then the entire weekend and all of Monday and Tuesday I have had no 3G at all. I was in about three different places, all of which should have 3G service according to Sprint's map, so it's def. my phone and not the network.

I tried simple things like rebooting, going in and out of airplane mode, nothing worked. So I decided to use odin to go back to stock. I used the method here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=773032

Odin didn't work...it would say "FAIL" in big red letters in the first box. Now I went to boot up my phone and all I get is a screen with a little image of a phone, a little image of a computer, and a dashed line and an exclamation point between them.

I tried everything in the "troubleshooting" but odin would not flash the stock kernel.

I get these messages:
<ID:0/006> Added!
<ID:0/006> odin v.3 engine (ID 6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> home/h/Desktop/zImage
<ID:0/006>
<ID:0/006> Complete(Write) operation failed
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 /failed 1)

It's possible the kernel was bad, because in that thread several posters posted NEW kernels...I was afraid to try any of them, though, because there were like five new ones posted.

Then I ran odin with no pit or tar file (by accident, actually...I meant to load the "complete wipe" kernel but forgot to load the files before hitting 'start'.) This got my phone to reboot back to what it was before...which is to say, back to my rooted version. Of course, I still want to go back to stock because I am still lacking all 3G.

I have tried updating my profile/PRL, but that didn't work because they had a connection error. I tried using the SCSwitch app, but that ALSO had a connection error.

I just want to go back to stock...

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ok, so try it again and don't mess up this time? You've got the thread with instructions how to do it.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
does anybody find it ironic that the ones rooting and hax0ring their Android devices to the extent of overclocking the CPU and compiling kernels are likely pasty Lunix nerds who have no use for a phone in the first place?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Millstone posted:

does anybody find it ironic that the ones rooting and hax0ring their Android devices to the extent of overclocking the CPU and compiling kernels are likely pasty Lunix nerds who have no use for a phone in the first place?

No, because the phone functionality is the same, they're improving their ability to be constantly entertained by electronic devices so they never need human contact.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Millstone posted:

This isn't 1982, kid.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Really, I'm more content underclocking my phone and saving battery life. I don't appear to be dwelling in a basement, have a decent florida tan, and have no interest in referring to anything as haxx0ring.

Oh, wait, blanket statements are needed. Go back to the iphone thread with the rest of the hipster scum and continue touching yourselves over screencaps. I guess.

Though I more question the social lives of people who feel the need to troll webforums then people who have a working interest in phones.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
I need a smartphone to keep me in touch with all the mucho primo tangy-tang I'm perpetually slaying. Rooting my phone just opens up the door to slaying that nerd tangy-tang demographic.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
For people with HTC Incredibles I highly recommend you use this new kernel, if only for the fast charging- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=810151

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ok, im trying to root my HTC legend. I have checked and its got the right firmware. I have enabled usb debugging and stay awake. I have created the goldcard and that seems to be working.

Im using these instructions - http://rootzwiki.com/index.php/Smartphones/HTC-Corporation/Legend.html

Step 3 is slightly different on mine. Recovery is already shown in red.

It all falls down on step 7 though. The command prompt appears, but it cant connect to the phone, and so doesnt do anything. I dont get the custom recovery screen, so I cant go any further. What blindingly obvious thing am I missing?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It would take almost as much time to just re-download and install everything as it does to go through everything on Titanium Backup. On every single thing (ok, just the applications, still that's a lot for me) that it restores from my backup I have to click 'install,' and then click 'done' when it's done...and of course, 'install' is the left button and 'done' is the right button, so I can't even just mindlessly tap the same spot on the screen.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 21, 2010

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

DrBouvenstein posted:

It would take almost as much time to just re-download and install everything as it does to go through everything on Titanium Backup. On every single thing (ok, just the applications, still that's a lot for me) that it restores from my backup I have to click 'install,' and then click 'done' when it's done...and of course, 'install' is the left button and 'done' is the right button, so I can't even just mindlessly tap the same spot on the screen.

Protip: the donate version lets you do batch restores without having to interact with it for each app.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
WiFi Tether supports WPA just fine in the versions on the website, it's just the Market version that's behind.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Ok, totally new to Android... Trying to Root my EVO

Following the links on the OP and following these directions... I get to the bolded part and I get a Red Error Triangle on my EVO's screen and it just sits there... What am I doing wrong? :(

◄●If you have used Unrevoked forever, start here●►
Not for me...

◄●If you have NEVER used Unrevoked forever, start here●►
8. Power off the phone and reboot into the recovery by holding VOL DOWN + POWER until it boots to the white screen. Then select RECOVERY.
9. Connect via USB. There is an option for this in both Amon RA and Clockwork.

10. Transfer the PC36IMG.zip to the root of your sdcard.
11. EJECT THE PHONE FROM THE COMPUTER and then turn off USB in Recovery
12. Power off the phone and reboot into the bootloader by holding VOL DOWN + POWER until it boots to the white screen.
13. It should check the PC36IMG.zip and then ask you YES/NO to apply the update. Press VOL UP for YES
14. Once complete, Press VOL UP to reboot.
15. You are now unrooted!

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
Whoa crap I think I linked you to the wrong thing. Here are the right instructions- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=787304

Sorry about that! I double checked and all the links should be good now.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

God Exists. posted:

Whoa crap I think I linked you to the wrong thing. Here are the right instructions- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=787304

Sorry about that! I double checked and all the links should be good now.

Partly my fault.. I was so excited I jumped right over the gigantic HOW TO UNROOT... durr.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm using the latest CM6 nightly (#216 on Nexus One), wanted to try out the power control widget inside the notifications bar. Really love the way it's running, but my GPS is no longer working :( any ideas what to try?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Got ROM Manager from the market, wanted to try Fresh, but I kept getting the error...

"Error occured while processing the ROM list!"

when I go to DL Fresh from the menu.

Me or the App?

EVO

Krime fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 21, 2010

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
CM6/N1: Is it possible to play with Launcher Pro or even reinstall the stock launcher? I don't like ADWLauncher really. Launcher Pro looks kind of sexy but more than anything I wish I'd just have the old launcher with my sexy coloured notification lights.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

quote:

Motorola Droid/MILESTONE (WIP)

Droid hacking comes in 2 delicious flavors:

Bugless Beast is one of the earlier roms, and it is basically the premiere Droid ROM. 2.1 with live wallpaper support and all the whizbangs you want. Run by a guy named Pete, it's integrated with a number of OC/UV kernels for use with SetCPU going up to 1.25Ghz I believe, though really 1.0ghz is probably better and safer for a first time user. Is often paired with the Smoked Glass theme which a lot of people seem to like. Is updated pretty regularly, and is very fast. an aside, at least one goon has fried their droid by overclocking it, please, consider if you actually need to overclock before doing so.

Cyanogen 6 has an official release version available on the Droid.

Just a heads up on this part. The Milestone's dev community is completely and 100% different than the Droid. It's basially 2 different phones. The Milestone has all those wonderful locks that the other Motorola phones have. While the Droid is, basically an open den of sex and villainy.

It's kinda weird now that the Droid is the old hotness, and it seems the ROM community has really slowed down after the major developers released their official FroYo ROM's. But, rather than re-write your section, you can just put a link here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/custom-roms/ - Far more than just 2. Bugless Beast .5 kinda sucks IMO, and cvpcs is where it's at, with their Sapphire 1.1.1 ROM.

I actually miss seeing ROM Manager update every other day.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Kreeblah posted:

Protip: the donate version lets you do batch restores without having to interact with it for each app.

Even if you don't use batch mode, being able to save every application's settings is a massive time saver, though a lot of apps are now supporting the ability to export settings to SD. Still, if you screw around with ROMs it's a necessity. God, I wish WM had something like this back when I was hacking on those.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm an idiot, someone remind me how to remove Youtube from my system partition (Desire) so I can install the new Market version?

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

chippy posted:

I'm an idiot, someone remind me how to remove Youtube from my system partition (Desire) so I can install the new Market version?

Can't Titanium Backup do this?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hmmm. This appeared to work, but I can't install the new one still. Boo. :smith:

edit: I don't think Titanium can do this without S-OFF maybe? Which I haven't bothered to do yet.

chippy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 21, 2010

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

chippy posted:

Hmmm. This appeared to work, but I can't install the new one still. Boo. :smith:

Did you reboot after uninstalling it?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yep. After removing it with TB it's not longer visible in /system/app. After a reboot, it's back again. Running CM6 by the way, in case it makes any difference.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

chippy posted:

Yep. After removing it with TB it's not longer visible in /system/app. After a reboot, it's back again. Running CM6 by the way, in case it makes any difference.

Turn on "Chuck Norris" mode.

Edit: Oh, wait, you're on a Desire, have they unlocked writing to /System yet?

Craptacular! posted:

CM6/N1: Is it possible to play with Launcher Pro or even reinstall the stock launcher? I don't like ADWLauncher really. Launcher Pro looks kind of sexy but more than anything I wish I'd just have the old launcher with my sexy coloured notification lights.

You can install LP from the market. But colored notification lights has nothing to do with the launcher - check CM Settings > UI > Notification lights and you can set it per-app.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Casao posted:

Turn on "Chuck Norris" mode.

Edit: Oh, wait, you're on a Desire, have they unlocked writing to /System yet?

No, not unless you've run the Alpha-rev S-OFF hack. For some reason I thought TB might be using some crazy workaround with ADB or something. Never mind.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

chippy posted:

No, not unless you've run the Alpha-rev S-OFF hack. For some reason I thought TB might be using some crazy workaround with ADB or something. Never mind.

ADB can't write to system if it's NAND locked.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
So I've read a bunch of rooting articles (including the op) and one thing I never see covered is whether or not rooting voids any warranties that your carrier provides. My guess is that as long as you returned your phone back to its original state before bringing it in they would never know.

The biggest risk then is bricking your phone which no one is going to cover in a warranty?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, it does void your warranty. I know at least with the HTC Devices you can run an RUU and return them to entirely stock like nothing ever happened. Mine's ensured, so I figure if I ever brick it to the point where I can't re-flash it for a warranty repair, I'll just run it over in my car or something. I seem to be one of the people capable of regularly scratching the Desire's screen so I might just do that anyway when it gets too bad.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Krime posted:

Got ROM Manager from the market, wanted to try Fresh, but I kept getting the error...

"Error occured while processing the ROM list!"

when I go to DL Fresh from the menu.

Me or the App?

EVO
Download Fresh manually from the xda thread or the Fresh website. It's not you.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anyone have a recent MDPI GApps they can post? The td mirror system no longer lists them, and I'm trying to get a slide setup on CM6.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Just got the blurless rom (incognito) working on my X, and it's glorious. If this is what stock android is like, I envy you nexus users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

foodfight posted:

So I've read a bunch of rooting articles (including the op) and one thing I never see covered is whether or not rooting voids any warranties that your carrier provides. My guess is that as long as you returned your phone back to its original state before bringing it in they would never know.

The biggest risk then is bricking your phone which no one is going to cover in a warranty?

For the nexus one I've read a bunch of stories where they were still covered as long as it was an obvious hardware issue. Though technically you've voided the warranty.