Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

I'll mess with it some and poke around the internet, and report back if I figure it out. Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Also if you hit the menu key in ROM Manager there is an option to "Clear Download Cache" that sometimes fixes poo poo. You'll have to re-download your ROM if you got it through ROM Manager.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That happened with me and it was fixed by reflashing ClockworkMod

Anyway I flashed CM6.1 over 6 and it's fine. The only thing that annoys me is that the LED notification light stays constant when I get a notification instead of blinking. Small thing, I guess, but I'd rather it blinks. Is this a bug or a feature?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I've been using CM6.0 RC1 for my CDMA Hero for a while now, its been alright. Updated to the 6.1 RC1 and holy poo poo. My batter drains so fast, my phone gets so drat hot at times (I've caught it at 45+*C). I have no idea what was changed but its made it hell of a lot worse. I am going to redownload and flash it again. This was all with the default kernel.

I am confused on what the best kernel and settings to use to get the best battery and performance. I know I should use setCPU, colin's batter tweak but I am generally lost on it.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Drevoak posted:

I am confused on what the best kernel and settings to use to get the best battery and performance. I know I should use setCPU, colin's batter tweak but I am generally lost on it.
Try this most recent Stable kernel here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=756774

Use either SetCPU or Collin's battery tweak, not both. I wouldn't run without SetCPU personally. For the main profile I use 245 min, 710 max, set to ondemand. I have a Screen Off profile enabled with 245 min/max, also ondemand.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
245 min/max can cause trouble waking up your phone from sleep for calls, so a higher max is suggested.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

utonium posted:

Try this most recent Stable kernel here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=756774

Use either SetCPU or Collin's battery tweak, not both. I wouldn't run without SetCPU personally. For the main profile I use 245 min, 710 max, set to ondemand. I have a Screen Off profile enabled with 245 min/max, also ondemand.

How can I tell if my Hero's top speed is 691 or 768? I thought you had to flash the kernel to see if it can reach 768 or not. Want to make sure before I do anything.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

God Exists. posted:

245 min/max can cause trouble waking up your phone from sleep for calls, so a higher max is suggested.
I have noticed that, so I'll give that a shot, thanks. I noticed that if I set it on interactive instead of ondemand for sleep mode, it would be frustratingly slow to wake back up, and I'd miss calls.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Drevoak posted:

How can I tell if my Hero's top speed is 691 or 768? I thought you had to flash the kernel to see if it can reach 768 or not. Want to make sure before I do anything.
The kernel that comes with CM6 is locked to 691. You need the UncappedKernel to, whaddyaknow, uncap it. It's like overclocking your computer, you just try higher frequencies and see if it's stable. If it isn't stable, you'll get lockups, force closes, and reboots.

Just make a backup before flashing a kernel, although I've never had one of Decad3nce's stable kernels ever give me problems.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
You can use collins tweak to specify a speed by running batt-cfg in adb shell. It has 2 defaults, the 691 and 768. If you want to get randy, you can tell it what you want to run at. I put it at 768 while on ac/usb charge, then 710 for unplugged use. like utonium mentioned, your max clock speed is device dependent, but a lot are successful at the full 768. Check the 2nd post of that link to Deca's kernel. It's got the tweaking magic settings at the bottom.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone know how to flash a modem through stock recovery? When I try to it just says installation failed.

I'm trying to flash a JI6 modem on my Vibrant through stock as opposed to clockwork to see if I can correct an sms send failure issue (message sending center option is not set so it fails).

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Maybe I'm doing this wrong. I rooted my HTC Legend specifically to block ads. When I try to run AdFree all I get is a black screen and then it goes back to the menu. I still see ads on site (SA for example).

Also, it may be coincidence but I am now having major issues with downloading items from the Market. When I click install, I have to attempt this at least 3 or 4 times as it keeps saying Download unsuccessful. This is when I'm on a WiFi network at home which is functioning perfectly.

Without AdFree running, there is almost no reason for me to be rooted so I'm thinking I should just go back to stock software.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

Anyone with the circular battery meter from here having troubles with the CM6.1 RC? It's only reporting in increments of 10 which is useless. Stock Android battery meter sucks so much and the default CM battery number is ugly.

I'm using a Slide for reference, but wondering if this is a common problem.

Don't know if anyone cares but this was an issue with the theme kitchen and has been resolved.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

No. 6 posted:

Maybe I'm doing this wrong. I rooted my HTC Legend specifically to block ads. When I try to run AdFree all I get is a black screen and then it goes back to the menu. I still see ads on site (SA for example).

Also, it may be coincidence but I am now having major issues with downloading items from the Market. When I click install, I have to attempt this at least 3 or 4 times as it keeps saying Download unsuccessful. This is when I'm on a WiFi network at home which is functioning perfectly.

Without AdFree running, there is almost no reason for me to be rooted so I'm thinking I should just go back to stock software.

Do you have an app called Superuser? I'm not familiar with the Legend but some root methods require you to install it manually, and it sounds like AdFree might be trying to make a superuser request and can't.

The Market thing is unrelated to rooting, a lot of people are having that problem. Go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>Market and try clearing Market data and/or uninstalling Market updates (the latter worked for me).

Also unless you flashed a custom ROM you are still on stock software. Rooting just gives some apps permissions that by default are blocked.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
One thing that has really been bugging me ever since I switched to CM6 is the battery usage reading. On any sense rom, my battery usage would always have the phone idle and phone signal being top two then display would always be third. Since switching to CM6, it is the other way around.

Today I barely touched my phone. 8 Hours it has been off the charger. Battery is at 63%. Battery usage says Display is at 35%, Cell Standby is 27% and Phone Idle is 25%. Clicking on display will say that the screen has been on for 7.5 minutes. Meaning I have had the display on for 7.5 minutes in the past 8 hours. How on earth does 7.5 minutes of display time account for 35% of the battery drain? I have the brightness set for auto.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I've rooted my phone and kept it stock - I just wanted the ability to run Titanium Backup now.

Verizon is pushing out an update for the Droid 2 that's supposed to fix a few things, I haven't gotten it yet on my phone. When I get it, is it safe to apply, or should I unroot first?

I know there was someone mentioning how running his phone the way I am (unrooted, stock firmware) and applying the 2.2 update made it difficult to use a custom ROM later, I just don't want to brick my phone just because I want a more responsive proximity sensor and better battery life.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Drevoak posted:

Today I barely touched my phone. 8 Hours it has been off the charger. Battery is at 63%. Battery usage says Display is at 35%, Cell Standby is 27% and Phone Idle is 25%. Clicking on display will say that the screen has been on for 7.5 minutes. Meaning I have had the display on for 7.5 minutes in the past 8 hours. How on earth does 7.5 minutes of display time account for 35% of the battery drain? I have the brightness set for auto.

How is your overall battery life?

Sense and AOSP include different things under the display heading and its normal for display to be way at the top of the list. That said yours does sound extreme, but I think you should do a few cycles to see it settles down before worrying.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

dissss posted:

How is your overall battery life?

Sense and AOSP include different things under the display heading and its normal for display to be way at the top of the list. That said yours does sound extreme, but I think you should do a few cycles to see it settles down before worrying.

When I first started using CM6 my battery life was okay, I could have the battery last a good 18-20 hours. I haven't been texting a whole lot so I bet the battery would be a whole lot worse if I was. I've been using CM6 for like 3 months now, it is totally normal for me to have my display always at the top in any situation. Even if the display is on for 30 minutes for an entire day, it'll be at the top.

Since upgrading to CM6.1 RC1 C Hero, my battery life seems to have gotten a lot worse, phone heats up hell of a lot more. I have had the same high display usage on 6.0 and 6.1.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

LordOfThePants posted:

I've rooted my phone and kept it stock - I just wanted the ability to run Titanium Backup now.

Verizon is pushing out an update for the Droid 2 that's supposed to fix a few things, I haven't gotten it yet on my phone. When I get it, is it safe to apply, or should I unroot first?

I know there was someone mentioning how running his phone the way I am (unrooted, stock firmware) and applying the 2.2 update made it difficult to use a custom ROM later, I just don't want to brick my phone just because I want a more responsive proximity sensor and better battery life.

I had no problems with that update. Lost root, of course, but I was able to re-root, and everything works just fine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Drevoak posted:

When I first started using CM6 my battery life was okay, I could have the battery last a good 18-20 hours. I haven't been texting a whole lot so I bet the battery would be a whole lot worse if I was. I've been using CM6 for like 3 months now, it is totally normal for me to have my display always at the top in any situation. Even if the display is on for 30 minutes for an entire day, it'll be at the top.

Display would probably be at the top for me too if I left it on for 30 minutes over the course of a day.

My usage looks like:

That is with the display on for only 12.5 minutes out of 14 hours (40% brightness, Magic so no light sensor)

There is definitely something up with your phone if its heating up and giving you crappy battery life though, for me the later builds of CM6 have improved things immensely.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm trying to root my new Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept (prepaid :v: ), but I can't get it to stick.

I did it via theunlockr.com's universal method (using adb and rage) and got Superuser installed, but wound up replacing it with the Superuser from the market and the su binary it wanted. This worked until I rebooted my phone. I re-ran rage and got root again, but it didn't stick around. I think it stopped working after I uninstalled Barnacle. SuperOneClick says I'm rooted and the last time I tried universal androot it said it couldn't do anything.

Am I doing something wrong?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I followed this guide to root a T-Mobile myTouch 3G Magic running 1.6. I boot into the recovery that is flashed onto it, but I see no option to back up. Did something go wrong?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

yamdankee posted:

I followed this guide to root a T-Mobile myTouch 3G Magic running 1.6. I boot into the recovery that is flashed onto it, but I see no option to back up. Did something go wrong?

What does your recovery look like? If it doesn't look like below then it hasn't taken for some reason, try flashing it again (step 7 in the guide)

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
I just rooted my Droid for the first time last week (actually exactly a week ago, the 26th) and i'm considering either CyanogenMod or Bugless Beast.

I'm using ROManager... and i'm kinda confused on which CyanogenMod to get. CM 6.1 RC1/RC2/RC3? Or should I just get CM 6.0?

I know I probably won't use the nightly builds, as I want stability. Plus i'm lazy.

wca
Mar 2, 2004

I'm a world-class assassin, fuckhead. How do you think I found out?

yamdankee posted:

Use this easy ultimate guide with video tutorials instead: http://theunlockr.com/2010/04/26/how-to-root-the-htc-mytouch-3g/

This has to be the best guide to root a MyTouch-3G 1.6. OP, if you can add to the front page that would be awesome.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wca posted:

Use this easy ultimate guide with video tutorials instead: http://theunlockr.com/2010/04/26/how-to-root-the-htc-mytouch-3g/

This has to be the best guide to root a MyTouch-3G 1.6. OP, if you can add to the front page that would be awesome.

Thats rather convoluted when we have Universal Androot and similar.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

chomper posted:

I just rooted my Droid for the first time last week (actually exactly a week ago, the 26th) and i'm considering either CyanogenMod or Bugless Beast.

I'm using ROManager... and i'm kinda confused on which CyanogenMod to get. CM 6.1 RC1/RC2/RC3? Or should I just get CM 6.0?

I know I probably won't use the nightly builds, as I want stability. Plus i'm lazy.

I went ahead and flashed CM 6.1 RC3.

And when I mentioned how i'm lazy, I mean i'm really lazy. I didn't know flashing CM would "uninstall" all my apps and reverty all my settings so I restored a Nandroid backup from yesterday.

Are there any ROMs that basically leave all apps/settings/etc untouched and just affect the functionality/speed/look/etc of the OS?
Or maybe I just need to quit being lazy.

wca
Mar 2, 2004

I'm a world-class assassin, fuckhead. How do you think I found out?

dissss posted:

Thats rather convoluted when we have Universal Androot and similar.

Androot and SuperOneClick didn't work for my phone until I stumbled upon that guide.

I wish they did since they seem to take less time to root and flash.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

chomper posted:

And when I mentioned how i'm lazy, I mean i'm really lazy. I didn't know flashing CM would "uninstall" all my apps and reverty all my settings so I restored a Nandroid backup from yesterday.

Are there any ROMs that basically leave all apps/settings/etc untouched and just affect the functionality/speed/look/etc of the OS?

Do a Titanium Backup of your apps

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

chomper posted:

No. I have never used ROM Manager to flash a ROM, so I am assuming it wipes automatically when you flash, however, you NEED to wipe to flash a ROM (unless up/downgrading from different versions of the same one, but this doesn't apply here).

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

Captain Charisma posted:

Do a Titanium Backup of your apps

Durrrr. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

A backup of my apps thru Titanium Backup does save settings, I assume?

Maybe I'll try it again... possibly Bugless Beast.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm pretty sure ROM Manager asks you whether you want to wipe, and also do a backup, before you flash. It doesn't just do it without prompting you.

Can I ask where you saw CM6.1 RC2/RC3? I can only see RC1 on the Desire subforum.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It'd be under the Droid forum, as he's taking about a droid which is up to RC3. Different phones have different bugs and different RCs to fix them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Despite rooting a few weeks ago, and restoring all my apps with Titanium Backup, I didn't notice until a couple days ago that NONE of my restored apps are in my Marketplace list, and therefore aren't getting updated. The only apps in the "Downloaded" area of my Marketplace are ones I downloaded after I rooted.

Is this normal or did Titanium gently caress up? Is there a way to get all my apps back in that list (other than actually re-downloading them, which I don't want to do because it will be time consuming, and will it wipe the data?)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Despite rooting a few weeks ago, and restoring all my apps with Titanium Backup, I didn't notice until a couple days ago that NONE of my restored apps are in my Marketplace list, and therefore aren't getting updated. The only apps in the "Downloaded" area of my Marketplace are ones I downloaded after I rooted.

Is this normal or did Titanium gently caress up? Is there a way to get all my apps back in that list (other than actually re-downloading them, which I don't want to do because it will be time consuming, and will it wipe the data?)

Did you try Titanium's Repair Market Links?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LastInLine posted:

Did you try Titanium's Repair Market Links?

Huh...well, I didn't know that existed. I went to try it and...Titanium says I don't have root privileges...the gently caress?! Obviously I do, because I used it to restore all of my apps. I got a system update like a week ago...did that somehow negate my root? I was told they generally don't...

I still have the Superuser app, and when I load it it doesn't give me any errors saying I don't have rooted privileges...what gives?!

I guess I'll have to try and re-root tonight when I get home.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...well, I didn't know that existed. I went to try it and...Titanium says I don't have root privileges...the gently caress?! Obviously I do, because I used it to restore all of my apps. I got a system update like a week ago...did that somehow negate my root? I was told they generally don't...

I still have the Superuser app, and when I load it it doesn't give me any errors saying I don't have rooted privileges...what gives?!
When you open Superuser, do you see Titanium Backup listed? If so, tap on it, then hit Forget in the popup. Titanium Backup should ask you for root privileges again next time you start it.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

utonium posted:

When you open Superuser, do you see Titanium Backup listed? If so, tap on it, then hit Forget in the popup. Titanium Backup should ask you for root privileges again next time you start it.

If that doesn't work, with Titanium Backup open click menu -> More -> Reload Application. I had to do that after I kept getting the same error last week.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

utonium posted:

Did that, and Titanium does not ask for root, it just pops up the error. Now Titanium doesn't show up in the list for Superuser at all. Also tried to "reload applications" and just got the "you need root" error again.

I DLed BusyBox, rebooted, still nothin'.

Edit: More weirdness...so I clicked on BusyBox Installer, not realizing that it wasn't really "installed" just by downloading it. I clicked to install it, and it failed. The main screen says "Your phone is rooted." When I try to install it says "The application failed, either because your device is not nand unlocked or we were unable to remount. Please use logcat at this time, blah blah blah."

So...the gently caress? Do I need to separately "NAND unlock" my phone? Rooting doesn't do that? Epic 4G, BTW.

Oh, it in my logcat after failing, there are several entries for "E/su (3009)" There are also the same thing but for 3012, 3013, 3014. If I click on them, the expanded entry says "Getting exe path failed with 13: Permission denied."

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Craptacular! posted:

2) I'm not sure if this is Touiteur's fault or CM6's fault, but I'm now getting Mac/iOS style red badges reflecting unread tweets on Touitter's icon. This isn't the "Display Unread Count" thing on the notification icon in the status bar, but a thing on the app itself. Since I don't primarily use Twitter from my phone, I don't really want this unread count, but I can't figure out how to turn it off.

I'm thinking it's a RC1 thing because I wasn't seeing these badges on Toutieur's icon before.
I didn't see anyone answer this but it's an ADW feature. You can turn it off from Settings > ADWLauncher > System Preferences > Show Notifications. I like it and I'm thinking about buying ADWNotifier to have it on more apps.