Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Leon Sumbitches posted:

A few days ago, my Note 2 running Paranoid Android 3.99 started rebooting itself seemingly at random, and reportedly. Sometimes going into a boot loop for 5 or 6 cycles. I had been running that particular build for months, no problem. So, I went through a several step process and am still having the issue. I reflashed PA, wiped/factory reset and flashed AOKP, which only added abysmal battery life to the issue, and then wiped/reset and flashed Omni Rom. I've had a few reboots since doing that. Each time I'm restoring a recent titanium back up. It doesn't seem to happen in airplane mode, but other than that I can't establish any ideas.

How can I figure out what's going on?

If you can, try swapping in a new battery. Mine had an insurmountable bootloop issue that traced back to a faulty temp sensor in the battery pack, and it's a relatively easy check if you know to try it, instead of RMAing your device twice. Like I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

A few days ago, my Note 2 running Paranoid Android 3.99 started rebooting itself seemingly at random, and reportedly. Sometimes going into a boot loop for 5 or 6 cycles. I had been running that particular build for months, no problem. So, I went through a several step process and am still having the issue. I reflashed PA, wiped/factory reset and flashed AOKP, which only added abysmal battery life to the issue, and then wiped/reset and flashed Omni Rom. I've had a few reboots since doing that. Each time I'm restoring a recent titanium back up. It doesn't seem to happen in airplane mode, but other than that I can't establish any ideas.

How can I figure out what's going on?

Anyone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Do you mean other than the guy who replied to you?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

LastInLine posted:

Do you mean other than the guy who replied to you?

Yea, I have no idea how I missed that!!

ArcMage posted:

If you can, try swapping in a new battery. Mine had an insurmountable bootloop issue that traced back to a faulty temp sensor in the battery pack, and it's a relatively easy check if you know to try it, instead of RMAing your device twice. Like I did.

Thanks, I have a second battery and did wonder if it was possibly related. I'll pay attention if it's one or the other.

Neuntausend
Sep 11, 2012

Wir werden alle sterben.
I recently got my hands on a very cheap chinese Tablet. I don't really need it, but I thought I might as well try to have some fun with it, root it, try to get a custom rom on there, do some wonky stuff. However, I already fail to get ADB to recognize the thing. The Manufacturer (Point of View) doesn't offer ADB drivers, so I tried some of the universal ADB drivers found on the net, and they seem to work at first glance: The tab shows up in the device manager with no errors, however - ADB still reports no device found.

The tab identifies itself as a POV_TAB-P1026_V1.0, Processor Type DuaCore-A23 (Allwinner A23, I suppose). It's running Android 4.4.2.

In debugging mode it shows up as "Android" in the device manager, with Vendor ID 1F3A, which I understand is Onda or Allwinner and Product ID 1002.

Is there any chance to work some magic on this thing?

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
I have an S4 with Cyanogen installed on it. It's a version where hotspotting is borked, so I want to update.

What's the simplest way to do it so that after the update, I'm left with the exact same app/config/data/everything setup?
Is titanium backup enough if I copy its stuff to my PC and then back?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I'm starting to think my Nexus 5 has a problem with its mobile connection. I have a poor signal way too often on LTE, and even 3G is pretty bad. I found some information on xda that recommended flashing new radios, but I'm not sure where to start. Is there one particular kind that will work with the Telus network in Canada? I'm right in the heart of Toronto, there shouldn't be this big a swing, right?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
HTC M7, Verizon, 4.4.2, Sense 6.0

First time actually trying for real to root a phone, here. Towelroot works to give me root if I use tr3.apk instead of the apk he has on his website. So that's nice.

Root goes away when I restart my phone, though. Is that the accepted thing, or can I use my transitory root privilege to install a persistent root package?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eikre posted:

HTC M7, Verizon, 4.4.2, Sense 6.0

First time actually trying for real to root a phone, here. Towelroot works to give me root if I use tr3.apk instead of the apk he has on his website. So that's nice.

Root goes away when I restart my phone, though. Is that the accepted thing, or can I use my transitory root privilege to install a persistent root package?
Modern HTCs will need "S-OFF" to have persistent root.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Modern HTCs will need "S-OFF" to have persistent root.

I dont think this is true... At least on my M8 I don't have S-OFF and have permanent root.

I needed to Dev unlock via HTC & flash custom recovery. I could then flash a permanent root via recovery or install a new ROM.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Biggz posted:

I dont think this is true... At least on my M8 I don't have S-OFF and have permanent root.

I needed to Dev unlock via HTC & flash custom recovery. I could then flash a permanent root via recovery or install a new ROM.
He mentioned his was Verizon and while I don't keep up with HTCs much at all, I have to assume that Verizon does not allow the user to unlock the bootloader.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

Wait...why did you think freezing your applications would improve performance? Why didn't you backup to your SD Card? Why...well, a lot of things in this statement?
No notifications to interrupt gameplay, nothing running in the background to minimize network traffic impact in case other people had to tether to me. I don't have a removable SD card, just the internal one on the data partition

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how apps/feature of apps that are supposed to carrier-specific identify what carrier you're on? For instance, MLB at Bat app is free for T-Mobile users. Anyone can download it from the play store, but once you open it, it identifies you as being on tmobile and then unlocks its premium features. If you do the same on another device, it will display banner ad and not have any of the features.

Yesterday I tried out the Xprivacy module for the first time and randomized my data that it sent to MLB at bat. It took away the premium features and had banner ads ie it identified me as NOT being Tmobile (even though I am). So it seems this info is simply passed off to the app internally, and not some super hard-coded network level thing.

Any insights into how it does this? Also, in XPrivacy, how can you see your phones current "data" that it will be then randomize? All those fields that it fills in with random info, where can I see the ACTUAL info?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm starting to think my Nexus 5 has a problem with its mobile connection. I have a poor signal way too often on LTE, and even 3G is pretty bad. I found some information on xda that recommended flashing new radios, but I'm not sure where to start. Is there one particular kind that will work with the Telus network in Canada? I'm right in the heart of Toronto, there shouldn't be this big a swing, right?
Anyone? I really want to improve my signal.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kafka Esq. posted:

Anyone? I really want to improve my signal.
As far as I know there are not regional radios for the N5. You can just flash whichever one you want although you'll probably have more luck changing the fallback preferences to 3G only.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I just keep it on 3G all the time now. I've been getting about 6% awake time for this bam_dmux_wakelock thing now, though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gozinbulx posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how apps/feature of apps that are supposed to carrier-specific identify what carrier you're on? For instance, MLB at Bat app is free for T-Mobile users. Anyone can download it from the play store, but once you open it, it identifies you as being on tmobile and then unlocks its premium features. If you do the same on another device, it will display banner ad and not have any of the features.

It's pretty easy using Android's TelephonyManager API

code:
TelephonyManager telephonyManager=(TelephonyManager)Context.getSystemService(Context.TELEPHONY_SERVICE);
String networkOperatorName = telephonyManager.getNetworkOperatorName();
String simOperatorName = telephonyManager.getSimOperatorName();
And of course any rooted device can be made to lie about this.

There are probably tricks an application developer could do to verify the information, but most will probably be doing something just like this.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My septuagenarian father recently got a hand-me-down HP Touchpad with Cyanogenmod running Android 4.0.3. Everything was working fine for about two weeks, but now the screen will intermittently jump all over the place, flipping open the system bar, opening and closing the recently used apps list, etc. It essentially looks like a ghost is going apeshit on the tablet. I did a factory reset, and that seemed to work for a while, but now the problem's back and I don't know the cause or a solution.

I can't see any evidence of physical damage, and I've tried cleaning the screen thoroughly with a microfiber cloth to no avail. Since neither the factory reset nor cleaning have fixed the problem, I'm assuming it's an internal hardware issue and I'm SOL, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for advice here.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

My septuagenarian father recently got a hand-me-down HP Touchpad with Cyanogenmod running Android 4.0.3. Everything was working fine for about two weeks, but now the screen will intermittently jump all over the place, flipping open the system bar, opening and closing the recently used apps list, etc. It essentially looks like a ghost is going apeshit on the tablet. I did a factory reset, and that seemed to work for a while, but now the problem's back and I don't know the cause or a solution.

I can't see any evidence of physical damage, and I've tried cleaning the screen thoroughly with a microfiber cloth to no avail. Since neither the factory reset nor cleaning have fixed the problem, I'm assuming it's an internal hardware issue and I'm SOL, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for advice here.

I have a fire sale touchpad sitting next to me as I type this. Throw it in a river and buy your dad a non-obsolete device that was designed to run the OS you want on it. Your problem does sound like a hardware fault with the digitizer or its control board, but even at the best of times there are enough bugs with android on a touchpad (problems with the charging circuit, needing to reflash the firmware to make some issues go away, sleep-of-death problems, bluetooth/wifi/microphone/camera problems) that I would not condemn even the most tech-savvy family member to one.

Comedy option: HP touchpad digitizers are about $20 on ebay. I've replaced one way back in the day, it's held together by easily broken snap-together clips but no glue at least.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Lester Shy posted:

Stupid question, but is it plugged into a faulty charging cable while it does this?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kaizoku posted:

Stupid question, but is it plugged into a faulty charging cable while it does this?

The screen problem happens whether or not it's plugged in, but I did have a charging-related issue show up at about the same time. For a while, it was giving him a "Please use the factory charger" message when he plugged it in to the previously working factory charger. I swapped it out with another Touchpad cable I had lying around, which seemed to work.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

It's pretty easy using Android's TelephonyManager API

code:
TelephonyManager telephonyManager=(TelephonyManager)Context.getSystemService(Context.TELEPHONY_SERVICE);
String networkOperatorName = telephonyManager.getNetworkOperatorName();
String simOperatorName = telephonyManager.getSimOperatorName();
And of course any rooted device can be made to lie about this.

There are probably tricks an application developer could do to verify the information, but most will probably be doing something just like this.

Thanks for this, I also found some other info yesterday (which ended up working):

With XPrivacy, you can feed the location parameter MCC and MNC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_country_code)

Find the codes for the carrier you want and bingo. Worked for me.

Also I used this app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=aws.apps.networkInfoIi&hl=en) to see this info for myself on my phone.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Wow, now I have an incredibly specific problem. It seems by all accounts this app does NOT want to let you use HDMI output to watch its content. Select a video with no HDMI, fine. Close video, plug in HDMI, select new video "Cannot play video". Repeat step one and it works again. Plug in the HDMI _while_ the video is playing and it freezes.

Reviewing the useage data in XPrivacy, its not obvious where the app is checking for HDMI output. I mean, it could be a shell script or something, but restricting shell access means it wont work at all.

Any ideas?

Edit: Seems like this might be the solution http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?4506-Hdmi-Virtual-Switch

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 7, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For the past couple of months, I've had a strange problem. From time to time (anywhere from once a week to every work-day in a week), my phone won't reconnect to T-Mobile's data signal when I leave my work's wifi coverage. To rectify this, I have to reboot the phone; toggling airplane mode doesn't cut it. I have not noticed this happen when leaving my home wifi range. I came to this thread because for a while I thought it might be related to Xposed + GravityBox. However, I've had both of those uninstalled since Friday ("uninstalled" for Xposed, since I disabled the framework rather than uninstalling the installer) and I had the problem happen again today. That being said, I don't think it happens as often when those two are inoperable. What can I do to try to track down the source of this issue or even fix it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

For the past couple of months, I've had a strange problem. From time to time (anywhere from once a week to every work-day in a week), my phone won't reconnect to T-Mobile's data signal when I leave my work's wifi coverage. To rectify this, I have to reboot the phone; toggling airplane mode doesn't cut it. I have not noticed this happen when leaving my home wifi range. I came to this thread because for a while I thought it might be related to Xposed + GravityBox. However, I've had both of those uninstalled since Friday ("uninstalled" for Xposed, since I disabled the framework rather than uninstalling the installer) and I had the problem happen again today. That being said, I don't think it happens as often when those two are inoperable. What can I do to try to track down the source of this issue or even fix it?
You don't seem to be the only one. I'm not sure what I'd try to do to fix it except maybe try changing the "avoid weak networks" option in wifi settings and maybe fiddle with the preferred network type.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to tinker with a spare rooted and unlocked Nexus 4. I wanted to try and put Android 5 on there. That hasn't worked so well. It's currently stuck in recovery mode and I can't seem to find my way out.

My Windows PC can see the device and I can even sideload with adb, but it fails on the install. Usually with a 'no content' and an installation failed error. At least I could sideload, now when I try I get error:closed.

I've tried installing a 4.4.4 image straight from Google and another KitKat image from XDA. Both fail the same way.

I've tried clearing caches and resetting to factory defaults and I still keep on rebooting into recovery mode. From what I can tell I'm doing better than some people in that I can at least connect to my phone. I'm at a loss on what to try next though.

I finally got it to boot using CyanogenMod. Now I'm just trying to figure out what I was doing wrong with the regular Google provided copies of 4.4.

Do I just download them and sideload the zip file? Or is there some step that I was missing that was causing my problems? No matter what I tried, the installation failed.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 15, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm trying to tinker with a spare rooted and unlocked Nexus 4. I wanted to try and put Android 5 on there. That hasn't worked so well. It's currently stuck in recovery mode and I can't seem to find my way out.

My Windows PC can see the device and I can even sideload with adb, but it fails on the install. Usually with a 'no content' and an installation failed error. At least I could sideload, now when I try I get error:closed.

I've tried installing a 4.4.4 image straight from Google and another KitKat image from XDA. Both fail the same way.

I've tried clearing caches and resetting to factory defaults and I still keep on rebooting into recovery mode. From what I can tell I'm doing better than some people in that I can at least connect to my phone. I'm at a loss on what to try next though.

I finally got it to boot using CyanogenMod. Now I'm just trying to figure out what I was doing wrong with the regular Google provided copies of 4.4.

Do I just download them and sideload the zip file? Or is there some step that I was missing that was causing my problems? No matter what I tried, the installation failed.
Try moving the image to the device and installing from there with a custom recovery. To be honest though it sounds like your internal storage might be corrupt. Either that or the port/cable is causing the large file to not get there in one piece.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
My friend gave me his old Galaxy S4 (SGH-919) today, and I think I broke it. The android factory reset wasn't clearing any data, so I used the TWRP software that came with the phone. After wiping, I was able to setup the phone, but if I try to reboot it just hangs on the Samsung logo. The only way I can get into the phone is to re-wipe through TWRP. I screwed up the boot process somewhere along the line and the stock recovery doesn't seem to help. Am I totally screwed?

edit:

I reflashed a stock mod with Odin and fixed my problem.

sixdeadpandas fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 16, 2014

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Try moving the image to the device and installing from there with a custom recovery. To be honest though it sounds like your internal storage might be corrupt. Either that or the port/cable is causing the large file to not get there in one piece.

Yeah, copying the file over and installing it from there would have probably worked better, but lacking a SD card slot I couldn't figure out a way to get it onto the phone. My Windows machine could only connect in recovery mode, but not once booted. My Mac could navigate the file system once booted, but not in recovery mode.

Now at least I know to stick a backup zip image on there before messing around with any ROMs.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

So I bought a used ATT Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 off Swappa for a decent price. It was rooted which I was fine with as I like having that already.

I get the drat thing and fire it up and try and blow through setup just to get into it and mess around.... first thing I notice? It only has voice keyboard and wont popup a regular keyboard.... weird okay. I get through all the activation poo poo, and the home screen wont load and the top notification bar is flickering. Reboot the phone and it hangs on the ATT logo until I do a device wipe.

What I'm guessing is the previous owner froze/deleted a bunch of the stock Samsung poo poo like keyboard and home manager. When he wiped it that stuff was never restored so the OS goes "hey lets load NOPE" and then falls on its face.

I'm looking to flash on a stock rom and keep root.

I haven't had time to keep up with whats what and am really just looking to get this phone going ASAP so I can finally ditch my crashing galaxy S2.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2261573

That thread has the ATT factory rom. Can I just slam that on with odin with complete disregard or do I have to worry aobut Mk2 Mk2 ML and the other 600 different revisions of the ATT firmware? I'm going to keep reading XDA to figure out what is what, but if anyone has a quick magic bullet I'd be very appreciative.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
If you google that ROM filename you can find out what version of Android is associated with it. Assuming that it's acceptable, that should be all you need.

I did the same thing last night with the official T-Mobile S4 ROM. It brought me all the way to 4.2.2

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

sixdeadpandas posted:

If you google that ROM filename you can find out what version of Android is associated with it. Assuming that it's acceptable, that should be all you need.

I did the same thing last night with the official T-Mobile S4 ROM. It brought me all the way to 4.2.2

That's what has me confused and is going to make me sound really dumb. I don't know what's on this phone now as I cant get into the settings. So I don't know what I can fire onto it without issue.

I'm installing and messing with samsung kies at the moment hoping that it will say "we want to update your phone software" and just slam on a working OS.

edit:

kies tells me what I'm running:

I337UCUEMK2

Now to try and get it to reinstall the OS or find that version to install with odin.

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 17, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I hate this poo poo.

I went to load on the stock image with odin and it failed. When the phone rebooted I got this.

So I've softbricked the I337.

I hook it up and kies wants to flash it to 4.2.2.

Will this actually work? I read that if you're on later stuff it'll brick the phone completely trying to go back to older stuff.

I'm just trying to get an oem rom on the drat thing.

Looks like this guide is pretty foolproof:

http://www.androidrootz.com/2014/03/how-to-unrootunbrick-at-galaxy-s4-sgh.html

Going to try it soon and cry when it doesn't work wooo.

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 17, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I just reflashed an all in one mk2 and its fine and everything works.

Crisis averted.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
My HTC One (M7) for T-Mobile decided to go into a bootloader loop. I'm on stock but unlocked bootloader, with S-Off. I can't find the proper stock ROM. I was updated to the most recent OTA and everything. XDA is the clusterfuck that it usually is, any suggestions where to look?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm in the process of preparing to root my Galnex and I started with the built-in tools on Wug's NRT. I began with an android backup file, but cancelled out when I realized it was backing up apps along with appdata (I don't plan on reinstalling even half of the poo poo I have on here now). Then I tried to backup the SDcard contents, but that put the phone into fastboot mode. Once I figured out what the hell that even is, I realized that it was also frozen. Holding the power button does nothing and I can't scroll or hit Start. Am I resigned to letting the battery die or getting the battery out somehow? I tried using adb tools to force a reboot, but it just returns with
code:
C:\...\Downloads\android tools>adb reboot
adb server is out of date.  killing...
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found
Anybody have a suggestion?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm in the process of preparing to root my Galnex and I started with the built-in tools on Wug's NRT. I began with an android backup file, but cancelled out when I realized it was backing up apps along with appdata (I don't plan on reinstalling even half of the poo poo I have on here now). Then I tried to backup the SDcard contents, but that put the phone into fastboot mode. Once I figured out what the hell that even is, I realized that it was also frozen. Holding the power button does nothing and I can't scroll or hit Start. Am I resigned to letting the battery die or getting the battery out somehow? I tried using adb tools to force a reboot, but it just returns with
code:
C:\...\Downloads\android tools>adb reboot
adb server is out of date.  killing...
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found
Anybody have a suggestion?
I suggest you not use toolkits and instead learn what you're doing.

Remove the battery to restart the phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On the fastboot screen, the volume buttons are up/down and the power button is select. It may also just be frozen. As above you can safely pull the battery.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I didn't have a lot of time before and I do now so here goes.

First, you should really not use a toolkit as you need to understand what you're doing. Two, you couldn't get ADB to run because that only works in recovery or within Android and you're in the bootloader where only fastboot works. Typing "fastboot reboot" would've worked. Third, given that you don't even know what the bootloader/fastboot/ADB is nor how to navigate the bootloader, you really need to read up on what you're trying to do before you start. Fourth, to back up the SD card, just boot the phone and transfer the contents over using USB. Why would you do this via ADB or fastboot? Fifth, the battery on the Galaxy Nexus is removable, just open the back and take it out. How long have you had this device and not known that?

Here's what you need to do:
  • Set up ADB (I assume this is done already since the error you showed is a typical ADB environment.)
  • Boot your phone and take what you need off of it.
  • Download the recovery.img file and the superuser.zip file you intend to use and put them in the platform-tools folder.
  • Boot to the bootloader (volume + and - held down, then hit and hold power until you're in the bootloader)
  • In your command prompt in the platform-tools folder type:
    fastboot oem unlock
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to unlock the bootloader and wipe the device
  • Boot back to the bootloader after it's done.
  • In your command prompt, type:
    fastboot flash recovery [recovery-filename.img]
  • Using the volume keys, make the arrow say "Recovery" and hit the power button.
  • In the recovery, find where it allows you to sideload a zip file (I use Clockwork but most use TWRP these days and I don't know where it is in there).
  • Once the phone is waiting for the zip, in your command prompt type:
    adb sideload [superuser.zip]
  • Reboot your device and sign in, allow apps to restore, etc.
  • Open your superuser app and update the binary.

Any instructions you find to do things the right way, without a toolkit will show all of these steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Sixth, please stop saying "Galnex". No one does that.