Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
I tried to root my Galaxy Note 1 (Rogers) so I can put a new ROM on it. Followed the directions perfectly in Odin. It then hung on the Samsung logo splash screen forever, so I must have used the wrong file or something. Luckily I found the original Rogers ROM and flashed it. Now I am back to square one (or even worse with all the bloatware). So I guess I'll ask if anyone knows how to root a SGH-i747R Note 1 or a more efficient way to get a customized ROM? Thanks so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

vandelay industries posted:

I tried to root my Galaxy Note 1 (Rogers) so I can put a new ROM on it. Followed the directions perfectly in Odin. It then hung on the Samsung logo splash screen forever, so I must have used the wrong file or something. Luckily I found the original Rogers ROM and flashed it. Now I am back to square one (or even worse with all the bloatware). So I guess I'll ask if anyone knows how to root a SGH-i747R Note 1 or a more efficient way to get a customized ROM? Thanks so much!
I believe you should be able to use CF-Auto-Root for the I747M. It sounds like you'll also need to open SuperSU afterwards (updating from the Play Store if necessary) and disable KNOX when prompted.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you'll need to unzip the file in that link and flash the TAR using ODIN.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

datajosh posted:

I believe you should be able to use CF-Auto-Root for the I747M. It sounds like you'll also need to open SuperSU afterwards (updating from the Play Store if necessary) and disable KNOX when prompted.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you'll need to unzip the file in that link and flash the TAR using ODIN.

That actually worked, thanks!

As for a general ROM question, can I'm getting weird errors when I try to flash from the zip file (saying it's failed). Do I have to be a certain Android version (i.e. mine is 4.1.2; yea that's super old, but its the latest they have for my Note 1) for certain ROMs to work?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

As for a general ROM question, can I'm getting weird errors when I try to flash from the zip file (saying it's failed). Do I have to be a certain Android version (i.e. mine is 4.1.2; yea that's super old, but its the latest they have for my Note 1) for certain ROMs to work?
You might have to install a new recovery or update you existing if you've already done the recovery part earlier.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

You need to install a custom recovery before you can install ROMs

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've tried to root my Nook HD+. When I followed the instructions on this site but when I install the cynogen mods I get the error message "Can't install this package on top of incompatible data. Please try another package or run a factory reset". I've tried redownloading and reinstalling the mods already. Does anyone have any advice?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I've tried to root my Nook HD+. When I followed the instructions on this site but when I install the cynogen mods I get the error message "Can't install this package on top of incompatible data. Please try another package or run a factory reset". I've tried redownloading and reinstalling the mods already. Does anyone have any advice?

That guide looks good. Where during the process are you getting the error? Did you download the files for the right device (ovation)?

E: Here's another place that you can look for updated files or help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2600572

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 3, 2014

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

That guide looks good. Where during the process are you getting the error? Did you download the files for the right device (ovation)?

E: Here's another place that you can look for updated files or help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2600572

It happens during step 12. I'll try out the guide you linked next.

Edit 2: I'm still getting that error. I wonder if it'd be worth it to buy a card from https://www.rootmynookhd.com or not.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 3, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

It happens during step 12. I'll try out the guide you linked next.

Edit 2: I'm still getting that error. I wonder if it'd be worth it to buy a card from https://www.rootmynookhd.com or not.

It sounds like you either didn't download the right files or did something like unzip them or something. You're sure you have the Nook HD+? If so:

Download the latest 'snapshot' here: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=ovation&type=snapshot

Download the Gapps for CM11 (20140606) here, the It Vends link is direct download: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

Download the 'ovation recovery image (CWM)' from the third paragraph of the OP here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2600572

Don't unzip any of them. You can copy them over to the internal storage of the Nook or it should also work if they're just on the external SD card you're using to boot to recovery, too. When you boot into the custom recovery using the bootable SD card, flash those each in turn, probably in the order of recovery image, then CM11, then Gapps.

If you were getting to step 12 in that guide, I don't think buying an SD card will help you. You don't want to be using an SD card installation of CM11, it will be even slower and worse than if you install it to the internal memory (overwriting the Nook OS). It's also something that you really, really don't need to pay for. If you can read and follow directions, you can do it yourself, and you're like a minute away from finishing it from where you are.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I only unzipped the first .img file, but I'd been using the nightly builds instead of the snapshot. We'll see if this fixes the problem.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I only unzipped the first .img file, but I'd been using the nightly builds instead of the snapshot. We'll see if this fixes the problem.

It shouldn't make a difference, but we'll see. It's just a weird error you're getting, if all the files are correct. The only "difficult" part of the whole process is making the bootable SD card, and if you're getting to the point of flashing zips, you've done that correctly. Now it should really be as simple as hitting "install zip" and finding the file to flash.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The problem's still popping up. The first time around I used the files for CMW-10, the second time around I used the files for CMW-11. I reformatted the card after the first attempt to make sure the second attempt was a clean attempt. I'm not sure what the problem could be, maybe I'm skipping a step without realizing it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Did you do a wipe/factory reset from within the recovery? It shouldn't be necessary, I don't think, but the only info I've found about the error you're getting is people not wanting to wipe their device, getting that error, then wiping it and it working.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That seems to have done the trick, thanks. The .xda thread didn't call for wiping the data for some reason v0v.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Nice, glad it finally worked!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
What's the best process for rooting a Note 2 running 4.3? I saw some stuff saying 4.3 is terrible for rooting and others saying it wasn't bad, but nothing I try actually works.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

What's the best process for rooting a Note 2 running 4.3? I saw some stuff saying 4.3 is terrible for rooting and others saying it wasn't bad, but nothing I try actually works.

Oh man I just went through this. Im not at the pc now, but it took me a solid day and a half of reading on XDA to get it done. One thing I found was that after getting root and TWRP on, I had to replace a file in any ROM I wanted to flash.

fake edit- I did an ATT phone I317 or something, I may have been on 4.2.2 I will try and update tomorrow when I can sit down at my PC. Sorry for not being helpful, but check out reddit.com/r/galaxynote2 and read the sidebar.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I bricked my SGS3, but had regular backups scheduled in Titanium Backup. I have a Nexus 5 now and would like to restore whatever app data I can but it's not rooted. Is there anything I can do to get some of the app data off of this sd card that I have?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Teeter posted:

I bricked my SGS3, but had regular backups scheduled in Titanium Backup. I have a Nexus 5 now and would like to restore whatever app data I can but it's not rooted. Is there anything I can do to get some of the app data off of this sd card that I have?
Yes, just root the Nexus, move the Titanium folder to the Nexus, install Titanium, and restore the files.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

LastInLine posted:

Yes, just root the Nexus, move the Titanium folder to the Nexus, install Titanium, and restore the files.

Sorry I wasn't clear, but I'd like to do it without root if possible. I don't see a reason to mess with the Nexus or gently caress around with rooting anymore. It's really just data for aCar that I'm missing out on so it's not the end of the world to lose a year's worth of data but it would be nice if I could restore it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Teeter posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear, but I'd like to do it without root if possible. I don't see a reason to mess with the Nexus or gently caress around with rooting anymore. It's really just data for aCar that I'm missing out on so it's not the end of the world to lose a year's worth of data but it would be nice if I could restore it.

Restoring app data with Titanium Backup is really nice to be able to do, though. Helium might or might not be able to work, but it will likely take as long or longer to do it without root via Helium than to root your Nexus 5, restore the backups, then unroot and relock the bootloader, which is guaranteed to work. It is really, really simple, and there are no downsides as it is 100% reversible.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Teeter posted:

Then root it, restore it, and unroot it? It takes like a second.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Christ, nothing seems to work right when trying to get CyanogenMod installed on my TMobile Galaxy Note 2. CyanogenMod installer says "Device not supported" despite it saying supported on their website.

I tried using the unified toolkit, but I keep getting looped to the stock android recovery menu and following further instructions to avoid this exact problem does nothing.

If anybody finds a way, let me know.

e: Finally got it rooted and flashed with the help of the unified toolkit. I wasn't able to do the complete step by step guide, but with enough rummaging around the internet I manage to get it done using TWRP and having the appropriate .zip file on my external sd card. I kept getting hung after first installing TWRP through Odin. Recommended way was to install TWRP, Busybox, and something else in a row. Instead my phone kept looping into stock android recovery after installing TWRP. Due to this, instructions said to rename stock android recovery so the phone wouldn't try use android's recovery. Unfortunately, the recommended sideload zip file kept hanging on me as and the push file and install manually way didn't work either.

Somewhere in the instructions it said try installing TWRP with the AutoReset function unticked, then tick it after installs. This was a problem too, because after installing the recovery, everything was grayed out and left my phone hanging on the downloading to target screen. At this point I had to unplug my usb from phone, turn off phone by taking the battery out and putting it back in to turn it on, and press the volume up + power + home buttons for 10 seconds. At last, the TWRP screen came up! I factory resetted, wiped some data, installed the cm-10.1.3-t0ltetmo file and rebooted phone.

It was a breath of relief seeing the CyanogenMod screen come up. So some first impressions about it so far from a person who has only owned one smartphone device, Tmo's Note 2, which has touchwiz (which a lot of people seem to hate):

Not having all the bloatware is kind of nice, the phone isn't constantly nagging me to update poo poo I don't care about. The App drawer isn't littered with pages of Samsung crap. It does seem to run a bit quicker, but we'll see if that maintains once I install a few more apps. The ROM comes with some useful/basic apps such as clock (alarm, timer), calendar, file manager, and a few others which hopefully I can delete after I install better ones. There are more customization options than samsung's touchwiz, but nothing that's really ground breaking, but at least I can make it different than what I've been using for the last 2 years.

The only problem I have so far is that Flixster doesn't want to play nice with a rooted phone, which I expected. Not a deal breaker since I don't use it that often, but it is nice to have in certain situations when I need to kill time, hopefully I can find a work around.

Once I fiddle around with TWRP and possibly other recovery programs for a while I might try using a couple more ambitious roms than CM. My Note 2 is 2 years old so I know support for it is waning, but looks like there are 2 or 3 more decent ROMs out there.

tl:dr Finally got CyanogenMod working, it's decent change of pace from Samsung's Touchwiz.

ijii fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 6, 2014

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I really want to root my Kyocera Brigadier to disable the useless bloatware- it comes with a ton and it doesn't allow you to disable most of it. I think my phone would work fine without all the useless Amazon apps, but somehow it disagrees. Only problem is, looking around online it seems no one has figured out how to root it yet. Is there a guide somewhere for rooting a phone "from scratch" i.e. how to do it yourself without using some "one click" program?

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011

ijii posted:

tl:dr Finally got CyanogenMod working, it's decent change of pace from Samsung's Touchwiz.

How is the pen support with cyanogen?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I really want to root my Kyocera Brigadier to disable the useless bloatware- it comes with a ton and it doesn't allow you to disable most of it. I think my phone would work fine without all the useless Amazon apps, but somehow it disagrees. Only problem is, looking around online it seems no one has figured out how to root it yet. Is there a guide somewhere for rooting a phone "from scratch" i.e. how to do it yourself without using some "one click" program?

I'm sorry that you fell for the gimmick of that thing.

Return it and buy something you'll actually enjoy using.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

To add, in general you cannot "do it yourself" from scratch. Someone has to have found a root exploit. If your phone isn't popular or is extra locked down, it's possible that never happens. Such exploits can also be closed via updates from the manufacturer.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

nimper posted:

Definitely this.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

sixdeadpandas posted:

How is the pen support with cyanogen?
Non-existent. Looks like to have any kind of touchwiz functionality you'll have to plunk down some money on a play store app.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've run into a problem with rooting the nook. The SD card I'm using has 32 gigs after I finish the installation process the nook only recognizes the card as only being 800 meg big.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Rooting your phone should be something you do as a way to experiment or add functionality on top of what stock Android offers (see Xposed/gravitybox).

If you buy a phone in 2014 and your first instinct is to invest time and effort into making it not suck instead of immediately returning it to the store, then you obviously do not value your own time very highly. This attitude may have been useful in the past but there are plenty of good options these days.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The nook was a gift. I'd rather spend $30 on a new SD card than $300 on a new tablet.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

nimper posted:

I'm sorry that you fell for the gimmick of that thing.

Maybe I enjoy having a phone that won't break if I look at it the wrong way? Thanks for the non-help though, I'll remember not to bother coming here next time I have a question.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Maybe I enjoy having a phone that won't break if I look at it the wrong way? Thanks for the non-help though, I'll remember not to bother coming here next time I have a question.

Unless you are willing to devote serious time and effort to learning how to find a root exploit for your phone, there is no way to achieve what you want.

If you're that worried about breaking something, just buy an otterbox and forget about it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

He's not really being unhelpful. Something like a Galaxy S5 in an otter box will be just as rugged, will get lots more support from Samsung and the community if you do decide to root, and will also just be a better phone.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Root exploits are based on the current working firmware and kernel of the phone involved, and these firmware sets are customized to both the phone and the carrier. If you have an unpopular phone, it's highly unlikely that someone will ever care enough to try finding an exploit.

You can try TowelRoot, but "universal" rooting tools tend to be highly limited.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

RVProfootballer posted:

He's not really being unhelpful. Something like a Galaxy S5 in an otter box will be just as rugged, will get lots more support from Samsung and the community if you do decide to root, and will also just be a better phone.

I don't think snide "your phone sucks n00b" comments are very helpful, no. I picked out this phone based on how I like it overall including the price and I only want to root it to fix what is ultimately a minor gripe and I can live without doing it if it's not possible.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RandomPauI posted:

The nook was a gift. I'd rather spend $30 on a new SD card than $300 on a new tablet.

There might be an actual answer to your problem. Sorry that it seemed like I was responding to you! (I wasn't)

What Nook version do you have?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

RandomPauI posted:

I've run into a problem with rooting the nook. The SD card I'm using has 32 gigs after I finish the installation process the nook only recognizes the card as only being 800 meg big.

You'll need to resize the partition on the SD card (depending on where you got the image, it'll be on the source site). What version of Nook are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Nook HD+, I can root it but after rooting it the SD card shows up as being under a gig large.