Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, I figured you all might know why this is happening:

I run CM12.1 and I recently updated from a May 3rd build to a May 23rd one and when doing so, you need to reinstall GApps. However, the package on their site simply did not work for me. It would always spit out the error "Google Play services has stopped" and I couldn't do much of anything alongside notifications not coming through for whatever reason. But then I found an old GApps download I had lying around and used that one – no problems.

The one available for download no doesn't have any distinction between arm, 64, and x86 and is just one solid download: https://github.com/cgapps/vendor_google/releases/tag/2015-05-24 Could that be the reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, I figured you all might know why this is happening:

I run CM12.1 and I recently updated from a May 3rd build to a May 23rd one and when doing so, you need to reinstall GApps. However, the package on their site simply did not work for me. It would always spit out the error "Google Play services has stopped" and I couldn't do much of anything alongside notifications not coming through for whatever reason. But then I found an old GApps download I had lying around and used that one – no problems.

The one available for download no doesn't have any distinction between arm, 64, and x86 and is just one solid download: https://github.com/cgapps/vendor_google/releases/tag/2015-05-24 Could that be the reason?

Didn't I say this would happen and you said it wouldn't?

LastInLine posted:

There are other criticisms such as the pain in the dick to get Google apps to play nicely with the system and having to constantly monitor those for issues. When I last used it there were three or four consecutive GApps packages that had quirks to address, like edit this script or fix that filename, before they were usable.

noirstronaut posted:

I guess I should ask for a more current response relating the current versions of CM to current stock ROMs. There aren't any of these small nuances in the current version of CM, e.g. I don't have to worry about it.

Yes. Yes I did.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
"But then I found an old GApps download I had lying around and used that one – no problems."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation

noirstronaut posted:

"But then I found an old GApps download I had lying around and used that one – no problems."

My point still stands, you can't trust the resources to be correct and at every turn you're fixing minor problems. I mean if it's worth it to you, that's great. Have fun diagnosing and fixing your phone every time you update. But you asked what's wrong with CM and we told you and you denied it was a thing that happens when now you're experiencing exactly the thing you were told about.

Like I said it's not a big deal and because problems constantly crop up you get really good at fixing those problems but it's the reason why nearly everyone here who is already experienced in doing this constantly says not to do it because in the end it turns out it's just more satisfying to own a device where that's not necessary.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At least now he can use those sweet HTC emojis!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Endless Mike posted:

At least now he can use those sweet HTC emojis!

I can use them regardless of the firmware, I've told you this before. I don't know why you're so hung up on me wanting to use different emojis and figuring out how to do so?

LastInLine posted:

My point still stands, you can't trust the resources to be correct and at every turn you're fixing minor problems. I mean if it's worth it to you, that's great. Have fun diagnosing and fixing your phone every time you update. But you asked what's wrong with CM and we told you and you denied it was a thing that happens when now you're experiencing exactly the thing you were told about.

Like I said it's not a big deal and because problems constantly crop up you get really good at fixing those problems but it's the reason why nearly everyone here who is already experienced in doing this constantly says not to do it because in the end it turns out it's just more satisfying to own a device where that's not necessary.

I'm not experiencing it? I just wanted to know why it happened and if it was a fault of how the new GApps was distributed or something different. Like, I easily fixed it by installing a different GApps package which is no problem at all.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

noirstronaut posted:

I can use them regardless of the firmware, I've told you this before. I don't know why you're so hung up on me wanting to use different emojis and figuring out how to do so?
Because it's funny.

noirstronaut posted:

I'm not experiencing it? I just wanted to know why it happened and if it was a fault of how the new GApps was distributed or something different. Like, I easily fixed it by installing a different GApps package which is no problem at all.
Yes you experienced it, you followed the instructions you were given and had to manually reinstall gapps again.

What would a less experienced person do in your situation there? This is exactly what I was talking about with regards to quality.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Zom Aur posted:

Because it's funny.

Yes you experienced it, you followed the instructions you were given and had to manually reinstall gapps again.

What would a less experienced person do in your situation there? This is exactly what I was talking about with regards to quality.

I was only ever concerned about myself in these situations so I have no idea how anyone "less experienced" would be relevant. Hell, this entire detour we're taking in asking why something was happening is irrelevant.

Also, if someone can bother to install CyanogenMod at all, installing GApps shouldn't be a problem at any level at all. It's quite literally the same process.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rooted Android: You really don't need HTC Emoji

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i did they are great

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
So, counterpoint...

I updated from CM12 to CM12.1 this morning and installed that very same GApps package from CM's Github with no indication of trouble so far.

I have signature verification enabled in my recovery but I know that's not the default in a lot of cases, maybe your download got corrupted?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The way CM12/.1 installs means that

A) it'll blow away Google Apps when you do (or any other app you pushed to system, like BetterBatteryStats), forcing you to reinstall it again, and
B) it'll confound default attempts to install Google Apps automatically; you'll have to either let it finish installing the OS then install it separately (you can do this immediately after without restarting recovery, no biggie) or figure out a way to make the install scripts do an explicit set of rescans after installing the OS.

Both lessons I learned from trying to stretch the life of a thing by making it go F2FS.

Neither of these is poo poo a user should have to worry about, and if they're absolutely hellbent on rooting, they should get something with ready access to factory images (like a Nexus, not even a Moto until they update the Dev/Pure Images page) and with an image worth rooting (again like a Nexus; Moto would be okay here if they fixed the first thing), root that, and just hang on to the factory image for the sake of OTAs.

A lesson I learned from getting a 2014 Moto X Pure Edition (and grabbing the 5.0 factory image from the Motorola Device Manager). Also something no one should have to worry about. IT STILL USES MSXML 4.0 WHAT THE HELL MOTOROLA.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 27, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The way CM12/.1 installs means that

A) it'll blow away Google Apps when you do (or any other app you pushed to system, like BetterBatteryStats), forcing you to reinstall it again, and
B) it'll confound default attempts to install Google Apps automatically; you'll have to either let it finish installing the OS then install it separately (you can do this immediately after without restarting recovery, no biggie) or figure out a way to make the install scripts do an explicit set of rescans after installing the OS.

Half right on A and I have no idea what you're talking about on B.

For A, Google Apps get some kind of special handling so upgrades don't blow them away (though manual updates may still be required, as it was for me since I was coming from a 5.0-based nightly), but other things (cf.Lumen in my case) do need to be reinstalled.

For B, my update did exactly that and installed Gapps immediately following flashing the upgrade.. Just a normal TWRP multiple zip install, nothing special, not a CM-affiliated recovery either. What about it doesn't work for you?

Does the Moto X have one of those weird setups where ROMs work differently from most? I know I hear about those on Motos all the time, but AFAIK it's all in relation to locked bootloaders which I have to assume from the "Pure Edition" name yours is not stuck with.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 27, 2015

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

I was only ever concerned about myself in these situations so I have no idea how anyone "less experienced" would be relevant. Hell, this entire detour we're taking in asking why something was happening is irrelevant.

Also, if someone can bother to install CyanogenMod at all, installing GApps shouldn't be a problem at any level at all. It's quite literally the same process.
The reason I pointed this out is because you've argued for the quality of cyanogenmod earlier, why we don't recommend it to people, and this is a prime example of exactly what I was talking about regarding quality.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

wolrah posted:

Half right on A and I have no idea what you're talking about on B.

For A, Google Apps get some kind of special handling so upgrades don't blow them away (though manual updates may still be required, as it was for me since I was coming from a 5.0-based nightly), but other things (cf.Lumen in my case) do need to be reinstalled.

For B, my update did exactly that and installed Gapps immediately following flashing the upgrade.. Just a normal TWRP multiple zip install, nothing special, not a CM-affiliated recovery either. What about it doesn't work for you?

Does the Moto X have one of those weird setups where ROMs work differently from most? I know I hear about those on Motos all the time, but AFAIK it's all in relation to locked bootloaders which I have to assume from the "Pure Edition" name yours is not stuck with.

For A: Maybe? I know that parts of the Google Apps thing have disappeared before on CM update unless they're explicitly reinstalled in recovery. Maybe if the apps receive updates first they'll stick around without the extra effort; I don't know.

For B: Could be because recovery scripts are assembled based on what the initial state of the /system volume is, rather than reevaluating it after each step. Which seems dodgy, and would explain why it'd work going from CM to CM but not from another circumstance. Keep in mind the CM stuff is for a not-Moto device, namely a Nexus 7 2012. Stock on that, with the well-known flash issues, only supports ext4 and chugs with it (and unlike stock CM oddly handles its orientation sensors, uh, at all).

For Moto: No, the current Moto thing is because since the Lenovo hand-off they've dropped the ball on updating their recovery images for developers page. Nothing there is 5.0+ yet. And Motorola Device Manager is the only other way to pick up factory images rather than OTAs (and won't give you one if the phone thinks it's OTA time).

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

For A: Maybe? I know that parts of the Google Apps thing have disappeared before on CM update unless they're explicitly reinstalled in recovery. Maybe if the apps receive updates first they'll stick around without the extra effort; I don't know.
Cyanogenmod has some hooks in the recovery (I think) that automatically makes a backup of the current gapps, flashes a clean /system and then restores the gapps backup to the clean /system.

You can modify these hooks to restore other things as well that you've put in /system, like say better battery stats.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation

Zom Aur posted:

Cyanogenmod has some hooks in the recovery (I think) that automatically makes a backup of the current gapps, flashes a clean /system and then restores the gapps backup to the clean /system.

You can modify these hooks to restore other things as well that you've put in /system, like say better battery stats.

I know this is how it used to be done. There is a shell script (in /etc? Maybe?) where you could backup and restore specific apps for each update. You could also have it do cleanup if you wanted, like have it remove apps that CM installs by default that you'd prefer not to have.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just found out that I can root my Asus Zenfone 2. I`m so happy, mainly for the SD Card Fix, Greenify and AdAway. I don`t care about Custom ROMs or recovery.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey sorry if this isn't entirely appropriate here but you guys are the most knowledgeable so I thought I'd try asking. I'd like to sideload shamu 5.1.1 LMY47Z onto my LMY47D 5.1 Nexus 6. The problem is my phone has full disk encryption enabled. I'm poo poo out of luck aren't I?

When I boot into recovery mode, my phone disappears from windows devices and "adb devices" shows nothing.

My phone is stock. No root.

I had root before and a whole bunch of bullshit but I flashed back to the factory 5.1 image.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Full device encryption isn't a problem, a locked bootloader is. You'll have to unlock your bootloader to flash stuff, which will wipe your device.

Also ADB devices won't show anything in bootloader mode, you need to use fastboot commands.

code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader-filename>.img
fastboot flash radio <radio-fileame>.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot boot twrp.img
adb sideload SuperSU.zip
Alternatively, since you're not rooted, you can just run flash-all.bat once you're in the bootloader. Note that using flash-all.bat without editing will also wipe your device (not an issue when you have to unlock the bootloader but still). And it won't work if you're not running 100% stock, which is where the manual flashing commands above come in.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 29, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Thank you!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If you can find the ota file, pretty sure you can use "adb update" and don't need an unlocked boot loader and it won't wipe anything. Option 2 at this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/205535/how-to-install-android-updates-for-your-nexus-devices-without-waiting/

Only constraint is needing to have the ota rolling out so someone can grab it and post it, and this just lets you bypass the waiting for the ota to hit your device.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'll post it here since it's not a release build:

Anyone running the MNC preview on a N5/6? How good is it as a daily driver? My main dev device is my N5 but it's also my actual phone so I'm torn between flashing it or not.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation

Tunga posted:

I'll post it here since it's not a release build:

Anyone running the MNC preview on a N5/6? How good is it as a daily driver? My main dev device is my N5 but it's also my actual phone so I'm torn between flashing it or not.

Same here. Would love any commentary about it, positive or negative.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Same here. Would love any commentary about it, positive or negative.

First impressions from engadget and the verge: it's stable (in ~12 hours of usage) but lacks some of the main features (Now on Tap, for one).

Google claimed they'll be updating it more often than the L preview. Personally I think I'll wait until those new features are in.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nocal posted:

First impressions from engadget and the verge: it's stable (in ~12 hours of usage) but lacks some of the main features (Now on Tap, for one).

Google claimed they'll be updating it more often than the L preview. Personally I think I'll wait until those new features are in.
Now On Top isn't going to be in any preview build, according to Android Police (who claim to have asked Dave Burke directly). It doesn't seem like this matters though since I'm not losing anything over Lollipop without this. Most just interesting in stability. Might grab a nandroid and give a whirl.

Edit: This might be wrong. Google Now product manager (or similar) implied that it would be in a later previews in a Coffee with a Googler session at I/O.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 2, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is there an easy way to root the preview on the n5 yet?

Want to try it out but would rather not set everything up again without titanium (or adaway)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Is there an easy way to root the preview on the n5 yet?
Looks like it can't currently be done with the standard kernel due to SELinux stuff, this thread has a link to one that supposedly works:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/how-to-root-android-m-t3125614

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yikes

Might wait a bit then!

Thanks anyway

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Anybody want to help me with my 1st Gen Moto G?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation

El Generico posted:

Anybody want to help me with my 1st Gen Moto G?

What are you doing, rooting or converting to GPe? Which do you have, LTE/GPE/vanilla?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

LastInLine posted:

What are you doing, rooting or converting to GPe? Which do you have, LTE/GPE/vanilla?

I was just rooting before, but hey, getting rid of all this Motorola garbage sounds nice. I have vanilla.

Device Model: motorola-XT1034
Android Version: 5.0.2
Build Number: LXB22.46-32

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation

El Generico posted:

I was just rooting before, but hey, getting rid of all this Motorola garbage sounds nice. I have vanilla.

Device Model: motorola-XT1034
Android Version: 5.0.2
Build Number: LXB22.46-32

That's something I can't speak with authority about, sorry. This is where you'll start, though.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

LastInLine posted:

That's something I can't speak with authority about, sorry. This is where you'll start, though.

I managed! I'll have to stick with non-GPE for now. Thanks.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
What garbage software does a Moto G have? I know Spotlight can be disabled.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What garbage software does a Moto G have? I know Spotlight can be disabled.

Just about everything on the apps drawer in the launcher on the G can be disabled. There's practically zero reason to root it for this purpose.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I just got my new AT&T S5 and it came with Lollipop installed stock. Am I reading everything right when it says to root I need to downgrade to KitKat, root it, and then upgrade to a modded root Lollipop? Or is there a newer, less painful method yet

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Spaced God posted:

I just got my new AT&T S5 and it came with Lollipop installed stock. Am I reading everything right when it says to root I need to downgrade to KitKat, root it, and then upgrade to a modded root Lollipop? Or is there a newer, less painful method yet

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/489071-tutorial-downgrade-samsung-galaxy-s5-5-0-4-4-kitkat.html

Get Odin running and flash a factory image from sammobile is the process in a nutshell. It shouldn't need root to do.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When I connect my rooted Note 3 SM-N9005 on 4.4.2 to my Mac, Kies says that there's an update available to 5.0.

Can a rooted user update using this method? Does one have to unroot to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

You'd have to check whether Kies is offering your device an OTA or a complete image.

You might have to go to XDA for this one.