Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I was able to update from 6.0 to 6.1 cyanogen without wiping, but make a backup*.

*always make a backup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Voice search is broken on my motorola Droid running the newest cyanogen. Force closes as soon as I launch it. I've tried reinstalling the google apps package and deleting the application data but neither has worked and not sure what to try next.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Tried installing/updating from the market?

I don't have an option to uninstall it on manage applications and if I go to it on the market page it's listed as installed with an option to open it and the uninstall option greyed out.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Just upgraded from an original droid to a Razr so I'm having to deal with carrier bloatware for the first time and it's a lot worse than I was expecting.

Is there a goon recommended app for "freezing" some of these apps and will the phone crap out if I do?
Not too concerned about freezing or removing most of the standalone stuff on here but there's a few that I'm worried the phone needs.
-Task Manager
-Backup Assistant+
-Contacts Sync
-Motorola Services
-Sync Service
-Social Networking

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

If I used Titanium Backup to freeze bloatware on my Droid Razr do I need to unfreeze them before I install the OTA update?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

To anyone in the same circumstances I recommend unfreezing everything, applying the update, re applying root, and then refreezing the bloatware.

Now on the updated version, with root and with all the bloatware frozen and out of the way.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Just wanted to check to make sure I had accurate information on the status of Droid Razr ROMs.
It's rootable and roms can be flashed to it, but the locked bootloader means that no custom kernel can be loaded so custom ROMs will be limited and Cyanogen most likely won't be available on it unless someone finds a way around that.

I prefer the build quality (metal/gorilla glass) on the Razr to the Galaxy Nexus but Cyanogen will probably make me just get the Nexus.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

"Kanged" is a slang term that basically means stolen code, so if something is "kanged" from cyanogenmod it means someone copy+pasted their code and didn't credit them.

I think a number of developers use it as a joke ever since the drama with the Blackdroid ROM, so if the developer themselves is saying it's "Kanged" it most likely is just them giving credit to someone else and being funny about it.

If someone else is saying something is Kanged they're accusing them of stealing code.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

There's too many ROMs and devices for a single post to be really useful, outside of some really basic stuff you're better off just asking.

Basic root information that shouldn't go out of date

ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP. Nandroid can restore a phone exactly to a previous state, titanium backup for migrating apps/data across fresh installs.
CyanogenMod is good if it's available on your device. Close to stock android with improvements
AOKP is similar but with pink unicorns I guess?
ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP.
If you want to root/install roms get a nexus device
No you didn't brick your phone.
ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Is it the 10.1 update that mucks around with sd card formatting? Your recovery might be there just under 0/ or legacy/ or something.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I thought this was a good and up to date guide to cyanogenmods features. I don't follow cyanogenmod development very closely except when a stable release is coming so there were some features I didn't know about despite having used cyanogenmod for ~3 years. http://www.addictivetips.com/android/cyanogenmod-10-1-complete-review-guide/

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I am planning on getting the Droid Maxx from Verizon, and looking up bootloader unlock status it seems that the developer of Safestrap is close to releasing a version that works on the Moto X, and presumably the Maxx as well.

Can someone who has used Safestrap on another phone let me know how it works? Is it functionally like having a true unlocked bootloader or are there limitations or other downsides?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

ScarletBrother posted:

Not compatible with Nexus 4. Got a recommendation for that device? Running CM latest version and right now I just use the built in tether. I'd like to hide it from my carrier if CM isn't doing that already.
I don't know if the cyanogenmod tethering is hiding TTL info, but your ISP could still tell if you are tethering from data being transmitted fairly easily. Look up what people are saying about your particular carrier. Some are only detecting based on TTL while some are supposedly looking at the metadata on some of your packets which can include your browser, resolution, native operating system, and lots more. If they are detecting based on that you need to encrypt everything with a VPN.

Some also don't do anything, I think Verizon despite charging for tethering can't actually do anything to you if they detect it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I spent some time yesterday updating my Droid Maxx to KitKat, and also for the first time set up the Xposed framework. I set up the Gravity Box, XPrivacy, and Greenify modules for it. Is there anything else worthwhile to try, and should I keep using the xposed framework version of greenify or the standalone greenify version straight from google play?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

NewcastleBrown posted:

I couldn't find much info here about rooting the Droid MAXX except for someone in September saying it was not a simple affair.

Poking around XDA I found a post asking for clarification on using a few different methods to get themselves rooted and onto Kit Kat.

Does anyone have experience with doing this? It seems straight forward enough, but if there are easier/better ways now I'd love to hear.
I have a rooted Maxx on KitKat and that post is more or less accurate. I used House of Moto to revert back to the camera update not RSD lite, and the first reply in the thread is correct that you want to use the second file listed (Blur_Version.12.15.15.obake_verizon.Verizon.en.US) and not the first.

Here's a guide for the House of Moto that I used. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2450702

I wouldn't have describer the process as straightforward, but here is a general checklist with links to a proper guide of each step to make sure you're on track

Start from official stock 4.2.2 camera update
Use rockMyMoto to gain root (hijacks recovery) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2513571
Use MotoWpNoMo to disable write protection http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2551113
Use House of Moto to revert back to stock 4.2.2 camera update (write protection disabling persists through this) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2450702
Use SlapMyMoto to prepare for update to KitKat http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2577029
Update to KitKat through official OTA(or sideload) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2577977
Finish using SlapMyMoto after KitKat update http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2577029
After reboot, install SuperSU from the market. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&hl=en

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

bam thwok posted:

Consensus is that if I already installed the OTA, I'm boned until someone devises a true root method for 4.4, right?
For the Maxx/Ultra/Mini yes, the Moto X can roll back to the 4.2.2 update though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

NewcastleBrown posted:

I'm not quite ready to root my MAXX, is there something I can do to prevent the OTA before I go ahead with root?

The only way I know how to stop the OTA check actually requires root (freeze MotorolaOTA 1.0 and Updater 1.0 with titanium backup). When you get the OTA it will ask you if you want to install it, it won't just apply it automatically at least.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

WebDO posted:

Ok Android gurus: I'm stuck with Verizon and my GNex is starting to lose its luster ever since it started having a quirky issue where it sends the same text 10-20 times randomly. Of their current Android lineup, which will be the simplest to get unlocked, rooted, and back up and running without unnecessary bloatware?

Not sure what you can get subsidized, but paying full price for a developer edition droid maxx or Moto X would be my recommendation. Verizon is absolute on their policy of locked bootloaders and android is getting harder and harder to exploit into obtaining root. You can root a subidized Moto X or Maxx (if the Maxx isn't on KitKat), but the developer who rooted both those phones has said he won't release another root method if the current one is fixed in an update, and if you care about root to just pay for a dev edition.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

NewcastleBrown posted:

I accidentally installed the Kit-Kat update to my Maxx while furiously clicking in an endless runner.

I'm boned on rooting now, right?

For now yeah, no way currently exists to root kit Kat for the maxx and you can't downgrade either. I think there's a decent sized bounty for root on 4.4 though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Not sure about the permissions thing, but you shouldn't ever actually delete system files, it could screw with updates later on. Just rename it instead, once you've figured out the permissions issue that is.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Can you convince your work to pay for a separate wireless hotspot that isn't your phone? Using VPN over the hotspot will mask you from being detected from packet inspection at least, but it is still detectable by looking at the TTL. There are clients that can mask that too but I don't know which ones specifically, if those clients actually implemented these bypasses securely, or if it could still be detected some other way.

Edit: Well known/respected android Dev Koush has an app Clockwork Mod Tether that claims to be undetectable by carriers (if you're not using your VPN all your internet traffic is still going to be broadcasting your computers OS, browser, addons, and all sorts of obviously-not-a-mobile-device-info that ATT could potentially detect) and doesn't require root. It is tethering over USB though not wifi.

THF13 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 20, 2014

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Gyshall posted:

What is the best ~~~ rootable ~ phone on Verizon right now? Moto X?

If you MUST have root, get a full price Developer edition phone. Motorola sells both the Droid Maxx and the Moto X in Developer edition versions. Samsung announced a Developer edition S5 but not a price or date for it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Justin Case, who previously rooted the Moto X, has figured out how to unlock the bootloader for I think the entire 2013 Droid line. Currently he's only updated the exploit tool to work with the Verizon Moto G but support for the rest of the devices should be added over the next week. He is charging $25/device for it though.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/19/sunshine-bootloader-unlock-tool-adds-support-for-verizon-moto-g-more-motorola-devices-to-come-soon/

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I have been using the xposed module unbounce recently, and I think it has helped my battery life a lot. The alarm that wakes your phone and updates google about your location wakes the phone up every minute, and keeps the phone awake for about 10 seconds. Rather than try to block this completely, the module instead limits how often the wakelock, and the alarm which triggers it can activate. This means google now and other location services keep working, but your phone stays asleep for longer.

Normally XDA projects like these go crazy trying to squeeze every fraction of a percent possible out of your phone, but by default the module only reduces the time between updates from 1 minute to 4 minutes. You can change that to longer if you would like, and if you pay you can restrict other alarms and wakelocks, but I don't know any others that will have as big an impact with really no downside.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

hooah posted:

This sounded intriguing, but, uh, why does it need access to Google Play billing service?
Specifically

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Here's a list of why I still like root. It's definitely not necessary but I don't want just stock android after setting up these improvements.

-Remove terrible start up and wireless charging sounds. This is probably a problem unique to the Verizon Droid Maxx
-Block ads
-Titanium Backup
-Expand notifications by default
-Show the icon of the application generating toast messages
-General UI and system changes with gravitybox
-Only let apps create a notification sound/vibration every minute
-Tap the statusbar to scroll to the top of whatever I have open
-Launch google voice recognition through swype instead of their terrible alternative
-Increase battery life by reducing how often my location is updated
-Tethering

Lollipop will break Xposed, but I believe it will be updated pretty quickly.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

NewcastleBrown posted:

Can the Droid Maxx (XT1080) be rooted? I know it was possible but complicated for a while, but I installed the ooold update that made it impossible. Is it possible now? If so, how difficult is it? I'm on 4.4.4.

Maybe, but probably not. The bootloader is unlockable using the Sunshine app by JCase for $25 if you are on 4.4.3 or below, which would then allow you to root. The exploit has worked for some people on 4.4.4, I'm not sure why it only sometimes works.

It checks compatibility before running the exploit or charging you money so you can safely try and see, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I rooted my 6p after about a year of stock Android. Ironically the main factor for this was to get Android Pay to work because it now blocks phones with unlocked bootloaders even if you aren't rooted.

Was surprised at how simple everything is. With Magisk I just flashed one thing and was rooted. I didn't have to jump through any weird hoops to hide Root from AndroidPay either, the main control app for Magisk had a simple checkbox to hide it that required no configuration at all.

It also has a setting to allow a systemless hosts file for ad blockers to work with.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe someone here can help me:

So I flashed my Galaxy Note 3 with DarkLord N7 and the Darklord N7 Kernel, it works fine, boots great, looks good. But I can't get Voice/MMS/SMS, only Data connection. I'm on Sprint and using the SPR CSC code.

Ideas?
First thing I would check is if it's related to your root issue at all, you might need to set the right APN settings for Sprint.

I don't have that phone or Sprint and definitely don't know anything about that kernel, but if I were having that issue I would try reflashing everything, making sure I was flashing the correct radios. I would start over from scratch making sure to wipe data and any caches.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

fishmech posted:

Yeah the most I've done with my Pixel 2 XL is just unlock it in case I ever want to root for real, which I haven't done yet. Hasn't come up, and my carrier never actually blocked tethering for me without extra payments in the first place so that big hook is meaningless for me.

An unlocked bootloader causes safetynet's check to fail so I don't recommend people do this anymore.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Ironically, the solution to this is rooting with magisk and installing a module to hide it

Yeah basically you need to go all the way or just not bother to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Just wait until someone calls you an entitled thief for blocking ads.

I always had problems getting Magisk to work. I mean it works but it's never simple for me. I always end up needing to use command prompts and stuff. I'm on the original Pixel. Do you just download the magisk apk and then install it from inside that and you're all done?

**I have been unrooted for a few months so some of this may no longer be accurate**
While it looks like there's a new method that uses the magisk manager App to do some of the work it still looks like it requires some adb/fastboot command line stuff.

The simpler method still seems to be the original, download the magisk zip file and flash that with a custom recovery.

You can update to new versions of magisk easily once its setup with the magisk app. When I needed to update rooted Android I used FlashFire to flash the OTA and then the magisk zip without needing to do any command line stuff.