Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm pretty sure I just used z4root to root my droid x. Think it was running 2.2.340, if that sounds right. First time it didn't seem to work, but after a reboot and running it again it rooted fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

For owners of Notion Ink Adam tablets and Viewsonic GTablets, tremendous progress has been made with the port of Honeycomb to these tablets. The previous GAPPs issue has been resolved, and it is now moving into early Beta later today.

This is great news, because Google has officially stated that they will never be officially releasing the source for Honeycomb, and that the next source release will be Ice Cream Sandwich.

Here is the XDA thread on the topic, the Twitter where updates are being posted, and the TabletROM forums where the work is being done.

I'm so giddy with excitement. All I use my tablet for really is reading research articles, so I can run a Beta as long as it can do that, and that excites me.
Holy crap, this might make it worthwhile to go grab one of those 300 dollar g-tablets after all... hrrmm.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

fishmech posted:

The screens on them are supposed truly awful just so you know.

Right, it's just a question of if I'd rather pay an extra 150 for a nicer screen and working honeycomb. Hard choice. (or find the mythical Asus. heh. ).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Running a rooted version of the ota now, and and its going great. I had to learn how to sbf this morning too, but that wasn't too bad.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No, but you can SBF to Froyo, root with Z4 root, then flash up to rooted .596.

This is the route I took, and it was fairly painless.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

There were a pair of guides that I used, but I'm not sure if I can get to them while I'm at work, but let me try and find them here.

e. yup, it was blocked.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 4, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

Is there a good guide to do this... I'm feeling very lost on this one.

Ok, I'm home now and I can explain it a bit better now. For the SBF process, use either this guide here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html#post106311 or this guide here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html#post106312 . The first one is for windows, the second is linux, I used the linux version and it worked great. The only trouble I had was figuring out how to get into recovery, it seems every other website I found had a different way of doing it. I did on my phone by holding volume down and the camera button when I turned the phone on, and it went right into it.

Once you're back at stock, root with z4root, install your bootstrap (I used the droid2 bootstrap program), and then go to here http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7651-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html to get the update.zips you'll need. I used "Patched update.zip (not signed)" that's partway down the page.

e. Man I do love the battery life I've been getting with this update though.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 4, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

Do I need to wipe before flashing to the two part files?

edit: appears to have worked without the wipe. thanks again for the walkthrough.

I didn't wipe either, but glad it worked for you!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Just installed Liberty 0.6, and it's running good for me. Haven't noticed anything broken so far.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The only weird thing I've noticed with with Liberty 0.6 is that the battery seems to be stuck at 90%, like so. Any idea how I'd be able to reset that?

e. Looks like com.android.apare_parts crashes when I try and look at battery history in the liberty settings. Probably need to reflash?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 7, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I rebooted after sbfing, then after updating to the rooted .596, and then I installed the 2 liberty zips in one go like the instruction says. You shouldn't loose the root or recovery after anything but the sbf, and worst case if you wipe everything I suppose you might need to reinstall the bootstrap, but that's about it.

e. Nvm, you didn't sbf. Still, you might need to reroot and install bootstrap after you go back to stock, but it's still worthwhile to reboot and make sure you're on gingerbread correctly before installing liberty.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I'm liking liberty so far. Mostly for the lock animation and the asop gallery app, though. And the stock cardock that lets me launch the google music app. Nothing revolutionary, but all nice changes to have.

e. and hopefully recalibrating my battery will fix the battery stats.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 8, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Pizza Club posted:

If I want to try the new version of Swype and I'm on Fresh 4.1.1 on an Evo, what do I have to do again? I know I had to do some fiddling around last time, but I don't remember what.

Swype was already installed. I don't know if it was part of Fresh 4.1.1 or was because I had the beta version installed before I flashed to the new Fresh. Anyway, I can't disable it like the install instructions say to do.

From the App thread it seems like your best bet will be to freeze the swype.apk with something like Bloat Freeze (maybe titanium backup can do that?) and then install the beta.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

jfreder posted:

Droid X gets CM7 (beta)

Official method is to SBF back to Froyo but there apparently is a method for coming from GB.

Hell yes this is awesome, even though I just got done paying out for the liberty toolbox pro so that I could have the updated nightlies. Liberty 0.8's been working good for me so far at least.

E. Gonna wait for a working camera first though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

None that I've seen, although people are saying that https://market.android.com/details?id=com.spritefish.fastburstcameralite&feature=search_result works. The image quality with that camera isn't great since it's not full res, but it might be a temp fix for some people.

I'm giving it a try now just for kicks.

e. Have it installed and reactivated the phone! Now to see what does nad doesn't work, and if this CM is worth all the fuzz.

e2. Holy crap not having a screen rotation animation anymore is really, really jarring.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 15, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

CM7 is pretty good so far, but it making me realize that some of motoblur was really nice. Things like the camera app and the screen rotation for example. Hopefully some of that can be brought back in once the bugs get ironed out.

Whatever this stock keyboard is, I like it. Doesn't. Seem the same as the normal gingerbread keyboard, but definitely the best non swype keyboard I've tried.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I'm going to switch back to Liberty for my droid X for now. Maybe check it out again when the bugs are worked out, but for now liberty is just more usable.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone else running liberty having reboot issues? Mine just rebooted on my while it was sitting here, so I guess another question would be if there's a good way to tell if it's rebooted without you knowing? Only thing I can think of is keeping an eye on the battery history.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Gyshall posted:

drat, CM7 nightlies on Droid X aren't half bad. I can't even tell going from OG CM7 droid => Droid X, aside from the pain in the rear end of rooting/recovery.

They just need to get the camera working already :argh:

Until then I'm going to be happy with Liberty though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

wolrah posted:

I keep saying that the Android community really needs to get on the ball about differentiating functional changes from theming and stop just referring to it all as "ROMs". Fairly regularly I see new ROMs posted which combine a bunch of good modifications on top of stock or AOSP, but then were reskinned by someone who is apparently both color blind and slightly retarded to the point that they're unusable. If they'd just separate their questionable visual mods from the functional mods we'd all win.

Why do you think so many people are excited about not needing to use motoblur :buddy:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Nostrum posted:

Flashed CM7 on my Droid X uneventfully, and it is 100% holy poo poo improvement over stock/other Droid X "roms". I miss Swype though.

http://beta.swype.com/

edit: Maybe I should give cm7 another go. HRm.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Well, after deciding that I really don't need my phones camera that badly, and that I can always use a patch or fastburst or something to have something, I'm installing cyanogenmod on my droid X :toot:.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Nupraptor posted:

Please do report back.

It's working better for me than the first version. Everything seems smooth and fast, gps works great. Haven't tried phone or mms, but those are both supposed to work fine now (who uses their phone to make calls, anyways?).

Right not my only real issue with it is the whole "swipe to get rid of notifications", it just doesn't seem to work well for me. Looks cool when it works, but the blur style X button was faster and more reliable. Also as I'm typing this I'm not seeing any place to calibrate the compass, so google sky is a bit gimped for now.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Been running cyanogen on my Droid X for almost a week now, and I think i'm going to go back to Liberty. I just like the motoblur camera too much (at least being able to use the shutter button and whatnot), along with video capability. If neither of those things are an issue for you, then it seemed great! Fast, solid battery life (although didn't seem as good as Liberty), and I didn't have any data issues that I noticed (spent most of the time on wifi so if they were there it wasn't an issue). Will probably try it again if they every get the camera stuff worked out properly.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Txiuct posted:

Hearing about all these awesome roms and their features makes me feel like im living in the dark ages with my droid x.

I am so looking forward to a stable cm7 release for my droid x. Is anyone running the nightly builds on a droid x? How is it?

pretty stable, it's more missing features that bugged me when using it. In fact I don't remember any crashes or anything.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Gyshall posted:

My Nook Color has been pretty sweet but I'm now interested in a real tablet. What tablets out there are root friendly and have custom ROMs (if any?)

Its real easy to root and put recovery on the Acer iconia. There is a locked bootloader, so some stuff is an issue still, but I know you can get roms that give you the functionality of the other major tablets(samsungs hi for example). Asking in the tablet thread or checking out what is available on xda might be a good idea though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1181486

MIUI is out for the Droid X.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure most everything was working IF you installed a patch afterwards, but I haven't used it in a few weeks. Going to try MIUI tonight though after work.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

MIUI is sliiick.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Looks like the reason MIUI for the droid x has the aosp camera installed is because the miui camera just doesn't work. Hopefully they fix that eventually.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Been using MIUI on my Droid X for a few days now, and apart from issues with the dock I have on my desk it's been amazing.

Is there any way to check for new weeklies on the phone, or is looking at the website and downloading from there the normal way?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Civil posted:

Isn't the MIUI rom listed in rom manager for your phone?

It is now, it didn't have rom manager installed by default though. All good now though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Casao posted:

MIUI is also Chinese, so gently caress the laws.

Chinese as gently caress.

Both of these were listed under the "hottest" themes section. The best part is that they're more professional looking than 95% of the crap you normally see.

e. I forgot I had a conference call right after posting this, and so I wound up with the Chairman staring at me the entire call. Awesome.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 27, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Invader Tim posted:

Can someone help me understand nandroid backups? I have a DX, and I went from stock to rooted to liberty to leaked GB to CM7 to MIUI . . . but only because each one had step by step instructions on how to go from whatever you were on to what they had. I just got CWM today, and found out i have a backup of liberty 1.5 and of whatever I had on my phone in February of this year.

So what can I restore? What can't I? I've read that nandroids backup everything including the kernel, and I've read that they just backup your system data and I've also heard they don't backup your radio. I've never done an SBF and really don't care to dick around figuring it out. Can I go back to liberty (which had amazing battery life) or do I have to jump through hoops?

With the locked bootloader on the DX, I think the main issues with backups is that you can't flash from one kernel to the other that way,i.e. if you're on a gingerbread based rom like Liberty 0.9, you'll get stuck in a bootloop if you roll back to something froyo based like CM7 or Liberty 1.5. If you want to restore a backup like that you'll want to SBF back to the stock froyo rom, then after you reroot and flash the rom manager you can move around on the froyo based roms.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Red and clicky here.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You will have to edit the hosts file and you'll need root to do it. And if you're on GB you'll have to SBF back to 2.2 to root.

And if you sbf that should fix the issue anyways. SBF -> ota update shouldn't take long to do at all too.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Dancing Peasant posted:

I'm still on the fence as to whether I should jump to CM7 or MIUI. I'm currently using a Droid X with Liberty GB v0.9. I'm more inclined to move away from Liberty though since the current devs seem to be working on Justice more these days.

My only gripe is will they ever figure out a way to manipulate the GB kernel to allow ROMs like CM7/MIUI to work, as they did with the Froyo kernel (through 2nd init)? And should I even wait at all for this to happen? Or should I just stay where I am at the moment?

As far as features go, I'm definitely a fan of the battery life on Liberty, as well as the fact that I can use the Blur camera over the lovely AOSP version. The latter option doesn't seem to work too well on CM7 or MIUI, which is a near-dealbreaker for me.

The new version of MIUI (1.8.5 I think?) seemed to be giving me really good battery life again, and has the MIUI camera instead of the AOSP camera. Overall it's still not as stable as Liberty, and I don't think you can use the shutter button on the camera still.

I'd say CM7 and MIUI are both to the point where it's definitively usable and worth trying out if you have an hour or two to spare.

On a related note, I should be able to swap between CM7 and MIUI without major issues, right? That shouldn't require an sbf like going from a gingerbread based rom would.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

I've been installing every 3rd or so nightly on my X and usually get home from work around 45-60% depending on how much I've used it there. Really haven't had any issues with battery life at all. It's crazy how all over board battery life seems to be with all these ROMs.

Have you tried using battery calibration app?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&feature=search_result

I was sitting at about 50-60% yesterday after 12 hours of on time with CM7 on my DX. Still not sure if the battery life is as good as Liberty yet, but it's been more than enough to get me through the day.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Awesome, between this and the new update that got leaked (with a new, better functioning radio from the sounds of it) the Droid X is alive and well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Replacing the app drawer (to get one that smooth scrolls instead of scrolling by page). Easy? Hard? For a custom ROM on an EVO4G.

What launcher are you using? I think most of the big launchers have that option to change in them, and if not you'll just want to install a launcher that does smooth scrolling (so it's probably really easy).

e. For ADW, as an example, you go into the adw settings, then drawer settings, then click app drawer style and pick Verticle Plain. Should be something similar for whatever launcher you have.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 22, 2011