Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Has anyone tried TeamWhiskey's Obsidian ROM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

I'm really not particularly pleased with Obsidian. The battery life is poo poo and it's been weirdly laggy since I installed it. I never experienced this type of lag, even on stock. MMS messages also come in blurry as poo poo.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Euthyphro posted:

Did you Odin back to stock before installing? They've got a temporary fix in the beta of Obsidian v3 by replacing the touchwiz MMS app with the AOSP MMS app, so if you like the look and want to do that, it should be out within 48 hours for general consumption.

Otherwise I'd recommend Onyx 2.2 - I love it, and battery life is tremendous.

I didn't. But I just saw that they updated Obsidian right after I posted it. I'll look into Onyx. I thought Bionix Fusion was pretty fantastic, and was pretty disappointed with Obsidian.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Some 2.3 roms dropping for the Vibrant.

Macnut R14 includes the 2.3 modem and is here That link also includes what is supposed to be a pretty snappy kernel.
Team Whiskey's Nero Beta 2 is 2.3 base and is here.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

First, the code needs to be put into AOSP. It'll be about 2 weeks for the first builds and a month to the first RC I believe.

So wait, are the Vibrant ROMS not full 2.3? I thought JL1 = Gingerbread?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Macnut R14 is a good ROM but goddamn the drop-down notification bar is ugly.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Has anyone dared to install any of the 3Ds custom ROMs?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

Post in that new 3D ROM thread and say how ugly it is. I'll relate that experience to throwing rocks at a beehive, except the bees are all incompetent morons.

You rang:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=16195453&postcount=237

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

gently caress you.

A picture of nothing to prove your point :smug:

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Trying to get S-OFF on my Evo 3d and having some trouble. Anyone know how to fix the problem of the latest version of revolutionary.io tool hanging at the "zerging root..." stage? I have firewall/av off, have the Android SDK installed, debug mode, fastboot off. No HTC sync installed or running.

Thoughts?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Godinster posted:

Try all 3 modes [charging, disk drive and HTC sync]. Also a different USB port might help. Compatibility mode for administrative access and Windows XP SP3 couldn't hurt either.

I had to use HTC Sync mode with debug on and only one of my four USB ports made it work. Bizarre, but it did eventually work.

What little I've been able to find suggests that sometimes a wipe is necessary. Of course, they all say not to use/install HTC sync at all so who loving knows.

Edit: Also, none of that worked.

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 22, 2011

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Fixed it. How? I... used a different computer. :confused:

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

So, still no decent ROMs for the 3D eh?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

The stock ROM is fast and has very few issues, so the only thing left for the ROM "developers" is to theme it and remove the stock apps as well as pretending to remove Sense. CM7 and MIUI are really the only things that offer anything more than just crappy themes and they're not done yet.

They seem to offer some updated apps, but I don't see why I couldn't flash those myself. I'm also wary of a lot of the promised "optimizations" that are thrown in there. The more they claim to get rid of Sense the more skeptical I am.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Leathal posted:

Be warned that their nighties routinely break poo poo to the point where I just moved to another rom.

1. Which ROM did you move to?
2. Why can't they just release stable releases instead of only nightlies?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Leathal posted:

I'm on Senseless rom right now, but Clean rom is by the same guy if you're looking for a Sense based image.

I actually like Sense 3.0 so maybe I'll give Clean a try.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Whoever recommended CleanROM for the Evo 3D, thank you. It's loving amazing, even smoother than stock and the animations are top notch.

I didn't even have to wipe on my install, which was even nicer.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

It's nice finally having a device that works with MIUI. It's a pretty drat slick ROM. Too bad none of the "3D" functions on the phone work on MIUI (and possibly never will).

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Upsides to MIUI on EVO 3D
  • Is MIUI.
  • All the basic parts work.

Downsides to MIUI on EVO 3d
  • No WiMAX 4G any time soon. (Course I don't have coverage anyways sooo)
  • Lost Sprint's visual voicemail. Not sure how to get it back.
  • Graphics aren't optimized for qHD apparently. Clock & other elements are off-center on the homescreen/lockscreen.
  • No "3D"
  • Oddly, battery life was GODAWFUL for me.

I used it for about two days before restoring my Nandroid backup but even with those flaws I still resisted going back to CleanROM.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

SLOSifl posted:

This week's MIUI update for the EVO 3D is incredibly stable and smooth. Last week's fixed most of my problems, and this week's fixed the last one - no need to change the DPI to 270 to get properly aligned widgets and lockscreens.

No 3D support for viewing yet (can capture in 3D), and no 4G, but this ROM is so goddamned smooth I can't imaging going back to CM or Sense.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1271824

If you're not on MIUI and want to try, nandroid, wipe everything and flash this one. It's easily my favorite ROM.

And for those of us without 4G coverage 3D is the only thing lacking. The only question I have is if it's possible to get Sprint Visual Voicemail back on MIUI? It's kind of essential for me.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

I'm not sure who recommended Warm for EVO 3D but my god the screenshots are misleading. They make it seem like it has this normal flat theme that is just translucent, but instead it's one of those ugly overthemed pieces of poo poo like every other XDA piece of poo poo ROM.

:sigh: Back to CleanROM I guess.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

SLOSifl posted:

Synergy was really nice last time I used it. Also MIUI, if you can give up 4G and 3D viewing (you can take pictures, just not view them in 3D on the phone). MIUI is goddamned great.

I just switched back from MIUI for a couple of reasons.

1. Google Voice doesn't loving work no matter how many times I enable third party access to calling features and no matter how many times I reinstall it. I need to be able to dial out via my GV number.

2. Battery life on MIUI is loving ATROCIOUS for some reason.

3. No WiFi tether.

I also saw that the MIUI 3D devs are doing their own thing and not following the Chinese release schedule. Which is disconcerting, somewhat. I also really hate the camera app they had to use.

The minor bugs and force closes (and there were plenty) I could deal with (because the other features are sweeeet) but no GV and my battery not being able to make it through the day is just goddamn absurd.

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 22, 2011

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

SLOSifl posted:

Synergy was really nice last time I used it. Also MIUI, if you can give up 4G and 3D viewing (you can take pictures, just not view them in 3D on the phone). MIUI is goddamned great.

Synergy does some the same drat things :argh:

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Seriously why the gently caress would you add a loving uninstallable dice roller to your loving ROM? What the gently caress?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

I tried it as well, and I actually don't mind the theme.I did notice that Rosie was pretty heavily modified, but I always run LauncherPro, so I completely understand some hate if you run Rosie as your launcher. I only ever notice it in the notification pull-down and it's not bad, just very green.

It has a lot of Cyanogen-like UI options that allow clock removal and some Sense tweaks on the fly, which is great. All I've done for customization is Roboto, everything else is either decent or customizable from inside the ROM. Roboto is available directly from the Warm updater app.

Battery on Warm is decent, better than Clean ROM on idle. I pulled my phone off the charger over an hour ago and I'm still sitting at 97%, which is what it was when I disconnected from the charger.

They modded the icons for the phone/customize/app drawer buttons and when I tried to switch to the Slate 3D theme (which owns) the custom giant green phone icon was there in place of the regular phone icon which made the whole thing look really loving ugly. :ssj:

As far as pulling from SVN on Synergy and removing unwanted items - I really shouldn't have to do that.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

I use Clean but I know other people have had issues with later builds. Fresh is supposedly excellent. I hated Warm because it's one of those that throws in a lot of gaudy script kiddy theming. Although other than that it was pretty decent.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Somehow it got uglier.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

It is somewhat depressing how lovely most of the EVO 3D roms are given how (generally) solid the phone is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

Apparently AOKP has been ported to the Evo 3D. Has anyone tried it yet?