Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Are there any Android 2.2 CDMA Hero ROMs that are anything close to the 2.1 Fresh ROM? I don't want some nerds wet dream of a customized ROM, I just want something close to a stock ROM that is 2.2. No offense to the heavily customized ROMs, but this is for my wife's phone and the closer to stock and more reliable the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is it possible to run the HTC-provided email application on a non-Sense ROM? I have been having issues with some of the aftermarket Sense-based ROMs and installed CM, but the stock email (not gmail) application is awful.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can someone post a quick little guide on using Titanium backup well? Basically I'm unsure how to just have it restore things like applications and their settings vs. system settings that I don't necessarily WANT being restored. I've experienced an issue where my wifi tether was hosed, I reinstalled a ROM, wifi tether worked, and after doing a Tibackup restore the wifi settings got rewritten or something and nothing I could do would make it work again. Essentially I just want to understand how best restore the applications, their settings, and the data they store, along with things like email and SMS, versus the ENTIRE settings of the phone, which seems to cause issues at times.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I rooted my GNex yesterday (primarily for adblocking and such), and even though all the guides said "you have to wipe your phone's memory to unlock the bootloader," when I unlocked it everything was peachy keen. Just in case anyone was worried about that. I'm on Android 4.0.4, using a GSM Gnex, for clarity.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Penguissimo posted:

Uh, how did you manage this? Those guides aren't scaremongering; wiping the phone is an integral part of unlocking the bootloader. Did you find some method that used a root exploit while leaving the bootloader locker?

http://www.wugfresh.com/dev/gnex-root-toolkit/

I used this. It just unlocked with no issue.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Penguissimo posted:

Bingo. Also from that page:

Not that this isn't a neat feature (it's actually quite awesome), but "Don't worry about your phone being wiped if you unlock" statement deserves a big old "if you use this one specific toolkit correctly" asterisk.

I didn't mean it as a blanket statement.

Also, while I did create a backup, that backup was NOT reflashed to my phone after the unlock. The unlock was instant and didn't wipe anything, as far as I can tell. I know it says it wipes it, but it didn't do jack besides just unlock the bootloader, as far as I can tell.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If anyone is still on an Evo 4G, any suggestions for a fast, stable, 4G working ROM to throw on it?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is there any way to get a percentage number battery icon on my GNex running 4.0.4 stock, but rooted? I don't want to flash a new ROM for that stuff.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

revmoo posted:

Just got a samsung captivate glide. How do I root this thing?

http://bit.ly/KmVab9

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Those aren't HTC buttons, they're the standard Ice Cream Sandwich buttons, so presumably they will be on new phones from here on out.

Yeah ICS buttons are awesome, what are you talking about "stupid"?

Additionally, ICS (at least stock ICS) has a persistent, not-too-screen-real-estate-using, Google search box that operates much like WebOS's "just type" search did, where you can type a name or an app or a web search and it works fabulously. There is little need for a search button when you have that on top of each screen.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm getting a replacement GNex today, and am thinking of running a non-stock ICS ROM on it. Is there anything like super-stock that isn't stupid, buggy, or ugly worth running? Paranoid Android? CM?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tunga posted:

Why would you run ICS?

Oh sorry, forgot it got renamed with the new version.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

New phone unlocked, rooted (thank goodness I had already had the drivers set up on my PC, that's a pain), CM10 flashed, apps installed, nandroid made, all within an hour or so. CM10 seems like a real stable OS rather than anything I'd call a "nightly", so that's impressive.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Frozen-Solid posted:

I'm feeling ballsy and want to try out CM10 on my Galaxy Nexus. I'm already rooted, unlocked, and have a nandroid/titanium backup. What's the best/fastest process to get CM10 going?

I'm thinking:
1) Rom Manager to download and install CM10
2) Flash CM10
3) ...? Sign in to google accounts? Something?
4) Restore from Titanium, but not system files

Anything else I need to know? What do I need to setup that restoring from titanium won't?

You don't need to feel ballsy at all. I am the kind of guy who only runs extremely stable, non-janky, stock-looking ROMS and I run the nightlies of CM10, updating every other day or so.

I came from a brand new replacement phone from Samsung, so all I did was unlock and root, flash recovery, boot to recovery, flash CM10, flash the google application zip, and start signing into google, facebook, twitter, whatever.

Since I didn't have a titanium to work from I just reinstalled all my critical apps and went from there.

The thing you want to do is keep the google apps zip on your phone, because every time you run a new nightly it overwrites stuff like the google search bar with the old stupid version.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Entire Universe posted:

Your apps stay intact as does all data as long as you're flashing nightly to nightly.

Anyone else getting a lot of crashes of the web browser with the latest CM maguro nightly? (9/26, that is).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone else but me experiencing significantly more crashes and general weirdness on CM10 GSM Gnex for the past week or so?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The main bugs that have come (and gone) with nightlies have included:
web browser crashing when I tried to load my business web mail page
wi-fi not turning on and off normally, and hanging a bit
general "crashy" feeling where I would hit home and the weather widget would clearly be redrawing itself and the response to getting back was delayed

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just upgraded to a fresh CM 10.1 from 10.0. I simply CANNOT get the google apps zip to install. I am using the correct one and installing it through the latest Clockwork Recovery. I have also tried from ROM Manager to Clockwork Recovery, but no dice. It successfully installs but the apps do not appear. Any ideas what the hell is going on? Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

LastInLine posted:

None of the apps are there at all? You wiped everything when you started?

Use a file browser to go to /system/app and verify they're not there. They'll almost all be called Google[Something].apk

e: I'm about to go to bed but I might as well lay out some possible solutions. One, they're there in /system/app but the launcher isn't seeing them (clear data on Trebuchet). Two, they aren't there. Verify again that you're downloading and flashing the correct gapps.zip which is here and verify the MD5.

If that isn't working, restore your CM10 nandroid, flash CM10.1 over top, don't flash the GApps at all, and clear the data for the clock after you boot up. There will be some FC's when you start the first time but there shouldn't be any others after that.

They do not appear to be there. Here is a screenshot:

Last time I tried to flash CM10.1 (maybe RC1?) on top of CM10 poo poo went haywire. Tons of force closes on many apps and some weird poo poo related to the /0 folder I think... But all I really did was "factory reset" and clear caches before 10.1, so I'm not sure that's exactly a super fresh ROM install method either, so I can try that again from my nandroid.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Thanks for your help, but what I just realized is Gapps doesn't even include stuff like Gmail, Maps, etc, anymore. Here is what's in the zip file under /system/app:

All of these are in the /system/app on my phone. I was used to the older Gapps that included more core Google apps, I guess. My filesystem seems fine, I definitely don't have /0/0 stuff going on.

Factory reset takes care of /cache and /data partitions, is my understanding, and I believe I manually cleared /system myself.

My exact order was:
- Do a Helium backup of my apps and settings in 10.0
- In recovery: Do a Nandroid backup, do factory reset, manually clear /system
- Install CM10.1 zip
- Install gapps zip
- Reboot
- Install helium, restore apps and settings for apps
- Wonder where Gapps were, eventually install them from Play store (which is why they aren't in the gapps.zip anymore I guess)

Everything has been fine since then, besides a crashing Waze that I fixed by clearing the app data. The LAST time I tried to flash 10.1 over 10.0 I ran into problems. I think I updated my CWR to a more recent version since then. It's definitely the latest version at the moment.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Holy crap is unlocking/rooting/etc the AT&T One X impossible. I just got this phone back from a friend who had it on permanent loan and now I want to get CM on it. None of the toolkits or CID spoofers (Xfactor 2.20) work correctly due to random adb shell error messages.... I'm super frustrated.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ProjektorBoy posted:

Your friend probably took an OTA that killed the exploit. See if you can RUU to an older version of the firmware.

The latest OTA supposedly still is supposed to work... I'll check that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

FFStudios posted:

Does anyone know why, in CM10.1.3, apps don't clear themselves from RAM after I tap home and go on to do other things? Usually they clear as RAM is needed for other processes but I ended up getting Winamp to stutter hard while playing music and found out I had 22 things open on my phone at the same time. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this error, and it's really not that big of a deal to clear apps on my own, I'm just curious.

I absolutely hate my Galaxy Nexus's ability to manage programs with CM10+. I routinely have to manually close programs to avoid making the phone run like trash. It's kind of infuriating, to be honest.