Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I have an OG Droid, and I didn't do all my research before flashing CyanogenMod. Now I have 6.1.2, but no Market/Gmail.

I found a link for gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip which should have fixed it, but it didn't. I flashed it twice for good measure, but still no Market.

Help, I need my Market/Gmail apps. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

MrBishi posted:

Note the 'gb' in the file name, they're the Gapps for Gingerbread. Get these instead :)

Thanks, this worked for me.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Yeah, hold X.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Just posting here to say that CM 6.1.2 ran like stinky dog poo on my Droid, and Liquid Gingerbread 1.2 works way better, at least so far. I can actually play videos now, and not just have a slideshow of random frames from the video. Also, the lockscreen music controls are way better, they actually show the album art and song name. Still not as good as Winamp though.

The CRT-style on-off animation makes me giggle like a little girl every time I see it. :keke:

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ryangs posted:

Anyone having problems with Google Maps after updating to the latest version of it this weekend? I'm running CM6.1 on my HTC Slide, and since I updated Google Maps several days ago, I don't get any search results anymore. No pins, no list, no nothing. Very frustrating!

Same here, on my Optimus S.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Sooo I just bought an EVO (again). Hardware revision 003. What's the quickest, no-BS way to root it and get 3G/4G tethering? Unrevoked and wireless tether?

Mark Larson fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 27, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Is anyone running CM7 on an EVO? I had a bad experience with CM6 on my Droid and need some good remarks about CM7 on the EVO before I go through with it.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Duckman2008 posted:

ok, curiosity is getting to me and I want to try out Sense 3.0 on my Evo. What's the best ROM to do that with?

I'm interested too. Could you post your progress and experiences in this thread?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I finally jumped into custom ROMs with MikG's ROM for the EVO (Gingerbread with Sense 2.1 and 3.0) and OHH MY GOD it is amazing. Beautifully smooth, tons of new features, the ring lockscreen -- everything just works oh so good together. Nothing broke, camera, camcorder, 4G, GPS -- everything works!

And on top of that, I found out that my EVO had been on 1x all this time, since some EVOs have a bug that sets them to "CDMA Only" from the factory instead of "Automatic" which means 1x + EV-DO. So I was able to fix that and now can finally get reasonable speeds when I'm not on 4G.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

scanlonman posted:

Just ordered a Motorola ATRIX today, can someone update me on the ROOT/Custom rom status? I had a G1 before this phone, and was able to do basically anything I wanted to it. Can you root the Atrix yet? Are there any custom roms for it? Does anyone here have the Atrix, if so how do you like it? Tips/tricks?

I think the Atrix bootloader has been cracked just this past week, so it may take a while to get ROMs going for it.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

tehfox0r posted:

I just went to the new MIUI for the Evo, and I have to say that this is by far the best ROM I've had by far, and I've tried them all, including MIUI back a few months ago. If you're bored with cyanogen then try out MIUI because it's great now. Definitely now my default ROM.

Does everything work? 4G, GPS, Wifi, Sync etc? Any apps force-close for no reason? I'm loving my MikG Sense 3.0 lockscreen, is the MIUI lockscreen better?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I actually don't mind the MIUI launcher. I just wish pressing home while on the home screen would pop up a preview of all screens. Instead you have to click Menu -> Preview.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Codiusprime posted:

I think this is a worthwhile point. My fiance enjoys the options that custom Roms give her but she hates that for a lot of them it seems she has to give up the "it just works" aspect of the phone. Now, sometimes you have to use custom roms because the phone doesn't "just work," and in that case (I used to have a Fascinate) anything seems better. I know the point of custom roms isn't that things "just work" but if more were out there I think there is a segment of people who would enjoy them.

Totally. I love MIUI on my phone - I just wanted to flash one ROM and stick with it.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

900ftjesus posted:

EVO 3D running the latest rooted stock 2.xx whatever ROM. I added GPU acceleration

Is this also possible with the Sensation? Does it make a difference?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I recently got a Defy in preparation for my move to T-Mobile, and since I got service today and have been reading about this stuff for the past week, I decided to go ahead and flash it.

I kept it relatively simple, going from the stock Froyo SBF to MIUI latest version. I didn't flash a fixed SBF for Gingerbread, for example. It does report as 2.3.5 in the About Phone screen. The processor is also OC'ed a tad, to 1Ghz and it feels snappy enough. HSPA is working as well, and I'm getting decent speeds.

Now, the only thing I'll miss from my EVO is the front camera.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Make a Nandroid, flash back to the rooted OTA update and check usability?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

yamdankee posted:

EDIT: I got S-OFF! I flashed the .2005 SPL again and immediately booted to hboot and it says S-OFF now. But I'm at work and don't have ADB. Is there any way to use fastboot and/or flash AmonRA recovery without ADB installed on the computer?

Can't you just put the recovery in the sdcard as an update.zip and then boot into the bootloader? It should automatically flash the zip.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Tots posted:

E2: Holy poo poo balls. I haven't rebooted my phone since I installed CM7 like 2 days ago, so I went into the power menu and there is a MOFUCKIN SCREEN SHOT BUTTON THERE. *and it works*

I've learned two things today: 1. I am retarded. 2. CM7 is cooler than cool.

MIUI takes screenshots by pressing Menu + Vol Down. ~so fly~

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Doctor Butts posted:

I really hate the miui calendar. More specifically: how it makes you slide up and down to choose a day/month/whatever. I hate it because I always slide it too far one way, too far the other, and it takes forever to enter that stupid loving appointment.

I much preferred the stock calendar's plus and minus to choose a day/time. Is there anyway to get that old calendar back on a miui rom?

You know you can fine-tune the position by keeping your finger on it and moving it slowly right? You don't have to fling it around all the time.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

eightysixed posted:

Is there a reason ShootMe can't get root in MIUI? :(

Vol Down + Menu will take a screenshot for you.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

air- posted:

How do you do that? I'd like to do the same since it bugs me that GPS kicks in whenever I use Facebook.

I did it with LBE Privacy. Some folks do report that withholding permission from within CM7 settings causes FB to FC.

Side note: I already removed the Groupon and LivingSocial apps from my phone because they would auto start and try to get GPS in the background, I'm at the point where I'm about to do the same with the Facebook app. The only thing I use it for is uploading pictures anyway, I use the browser for everything else.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Porkchop Express posted:

I think aside from the buttons, its the exact same phone. That is a big of a bummer, but I guess Froyo has been working out ok for me. Oh well!

My co-worker owns one and says that update blows chunks and that CM7 is way better in battery life and performance.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's really the opposite. The rooting process can be entirely undone. Both in the sense that you don't have to do anything you get S-OFF, and in the sense that you can load up stock and S-ON again if you really want.

The problem is that if you wait too long and (accidentally) apply an update, you're screwed forever being unable to get S-OFF. With the official method it's not fatal, but S-OFF is strictly superior.

Can you get S-OFF with the OTA on the Sensation yet? Or are you relegated to going through HTC's official method?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

StickFigs posted:

So which would be better for the OG Droid then? Cyanogenmod 6 or this that says it includes improvements from Cyanogenmod?

I had good luck with Liquid Gingerbread on my OG Droid.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
So I just got a Sensation. Is CleanROM still the way to go? I don't know if it has the OTA installed, but I'm guessing it does. Is the official unlock the only way to go for custom ROMs?

I'd actually be happy with just root/tether since I would go for a Sense ROM anyway.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

BathroomTile posted:

So I'm going to root my HTC Incredible for the first time this weekend, and I have a question: If I decide to go for a non-Sense ROM (Cyanogen), what will I miss out from aside from the dialer? (I don't give a poo poo about Rosie or HTC widgets.)

Dialer codes.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I have a Sensation with the stock T-Mobile OTA 2.3.4, rooted and S-OFF. I don't really want to do a custom ROM at this point, but I miss a few things.

Is it possible to replace the useless status bar battery level with a numerical battery indicator?

Also, can I get more options in the Quick Settings menu in the status bar? All I have right now are Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Hotspot, Mobile Network, Bluetooth and GPS.
I'd like to have brightness and Airplane mode in there as well, I don't care about Bluetooth since I never use it.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Rolodex posted:

Is it possible to root/flash a ROM to a Samsung Fascinate and get it on the Virgin Mobile network? I ask because my brother gave me his Fascinate and I'm on Virgin Mobile.

Not really. The only way to do that is by ESN Cloning, which is of dubious legality.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

blargle posted:

A friend at work has an original htc incredible on Verizon, and complains about how much it sucks, has poor battery life, etc. I offered to root it and flash a better rom to improve the phone, what are my options? Cm7? Or is there a good stock based rom out there? His wife used his upgrade so he's stuck with the phone for another 6 months.

Why would you ever want to take on the humongous task of supporting someone else's phone? Let alone a coworker's? Just curious.

I've had coworkers come up to me asking about rooting and stuff, and I do point them in the direction they need to go, but I've had one bad experience where the guy just wasn't happy with his phone (LG G2x haha) and that soured me on messing with my coworkers' or friends' phones.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

wolrah posted:

I'm looking for vehicle mount recommendations for my Evo. The official HTC mount is stupid expensive and the Sprint-branded universal mount I just bought has turned out to be a pile of crap I'll be returning this evening (power doesn't pass through and there isn't enough range of movement to get it level).

I just bought a $3 ebay mount and plug in the audio and power manually.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Sprite141 posted:

Before I root my att sg2, should I update my firmware or H-BOOT or whatever it's called? Or would that do something bad?

With rooting... when in doubt, never update the firmware. It never gets easier to root after an update, only harder.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Civil posted:

I just got a Sensation, and while the hardware is truly excellent, the rom availability is kind of lovely.

I think this is the sad thing about Android development. As more and more devices come out, besting each other in specs every couple of months, the development community gets further and further fragmented.

When the N1 was THE phone to have, there was a lot of development on it. Same with the EVO4G in the US. But now, just in the last few months we've had so many desirable phones that its hard to attract developers to just one or two phones.

The Sensation was quite a beast when it came out, now its practically legacy.

I personally am using Sense-o-Maniac with the bricked 1.5 kernel but am not too happy with the battery life. It drops like a rock, even with Auto-sync disabled.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

tzirean posted:

I've got an Incredible, rooted with S-off and running stock Froyo. Now that my phone wants to insist I update (and I'm perfectly willing to), is there a dead-simple way to update to 2.3.4 without wiping the phone or permanently losing root?

Get the rooted stock ROM from XDA?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

tzirean posted:

The only one I saw requires wiping the phone, which I was hoping to avoid.

I'd say make a backup then install the new ROM without wiping user data. It should work (its the most likely to work). If it doesn't, well you have a backup :)

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Mosaic Perception posted:

I have a Samsung Captivate and want to root it but the drivers (I have tried literally everything) don't work for usb/windows 7 or at least not on my pc. Is there a way for me to root this phone safely without using a PC? I found something about booting the phone from an update file but wanted to ask here because I don't really trust random sites with the life of my phone.

Have you tried disabling UAT on your PC for the rooting process? Also make sure you have the right drivers. If Odin is involved, do you see the phone from Odin?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Yeah Samsung isn't known for their quality software. Try XP or failing that, W7 32-bit. I did mine (Samsung Infuse) on an XP machine and it wasn't straightforward at all.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

grumperfish posted:

I used the HBOOT drivers from unrevoked for mine (not sure if these will work on a Samsung device):
http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/windows_hboot_driver_install

HBOOT and Unrevoked are only for HTC phones.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
The ICS rom on XDA sent my Thunderbolt into a bootloop, finally had to boot into recovery and install a different ROM. Anyone else trying out ICS on any phone?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I'm still a relative newbie to this rooting thing, so apologies if this is a dumb question, but can I flash my Thunderbolt to a Team BAMF ROM *without* loving with the radio?

I'm running a BAMF ROM without any radio fuckery. The radio should be a separate download anyway... The rom you download is just the rom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

wolrah posted:

The Evo 4G ics-deck ROM is pretty much there. The only major missing feature is support for the hardware video codec, so the camera doesn't work and video playback is wonky. WiMax is also missing, but that's a much lower priority for most given the limited availability and battery cost.

I've used the ROM as an almost daily for the last few releases, only switching back to CM7.1 when I'm traveling or otherwise would like the camera to be available, and it hasn't given me any trouble.

It's expected that the camera and video playback will be fixed by the same thing, so once that's done I'd call this ROM at least beta daily driver grade.

Other than being on ICS, what other daily driver improvements do you notice in ICS vs Gingerbread that lead you to favor ICS unless you need the camera?

Does face unlock work? I'd ask if the camera is faster but.. heh heh. :v: