Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Mask posted:

Rooted Evo Problem Incoming.

So for most of you Evo users, you remember where it was found out that if you have a high TWS, then your battery life is going to be complete poo poo. Well the fix that was given was typing #*#*4636*#*# and changing over the CDMA to GSM setting once the windows pops up. We also ran into a PRL update problem which gave us another code to use to fix that issue. My problem is that now when I try to use the #*#*4636*#*# code, nothing happens. It worked when I was on CM6 but now that I am on Fresh 3.3, none of these codes work out for me. Anyone got an answer for what I am doing wrong?

Those codes stopped working in the Froyo OTA build (which is what Fresh uses) for some reason. Looks like you can use this app to do the same thing though, http://www.appbrain.com/app/network/de.mangelow.network .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

flyboi posted:

Any exchange 2010 admins here? What the gently caress do you need to enable & disable to make this pile of poo poo work with CM6 email? I can only get it to work with a reeeeally ancient apk it appears I am plagued by this bug:
http://laurie.denness.net/blog/2010/09/exchange-2010-sp1-sync-with-android-froyo/

I was able to get email working finally on the stock sense email application but CM refuses to work and I'm about to just say gently caress android entirely.

I've never been able to get the stock email program in CM6 to work properly for exchange. I finally resorted to using the seven mail beta, which works well and is free for now, http://community.seven.com/main.php . Once you're registered, you should be able to find the latest android client here, http://community.seven.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5086. .

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

streetlamp posted:

I want to update my radio and see if it improves my signal in CM6.1

Can I just download the newest radio from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715485
and flash it? Or is this one of the things I need to flash a sprint rom and update?

You can flash the radio without switching to a sprint rom; however, you will not be able to update your PRL and profile in CM6. So you may not realize all the benefits of having the new radio until you flash the sprint rom to update them. This probably goes without saying, but be sure to backup your ROM so you can switch back to CM6 after you are done updating your PRL and profile.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Skeezy posted:

Concerning EVO ROM's, what is the concensus on the "best" (or at least general best) for now? I'm using Warm 2.2 now and while it's nice and all, it's just too much for what I want. I was on Fresh and with that the battery kept overheating.

I was on Fresh for a long time, but it was starting to feel way too stock for my liking. I switched to CM6 when RC1 came out, and I have been very happy since. I lost 4G, but frankly, I hardly ever used it because the connection was too inconsistent. The biggest benefit is that my battery life is way better in CM6. I can actually go over 24 hours without charging my phone now with light to moderate use.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

explosivo posted:

Reposting from the App thread:

Anybody have any experience with this? I can't get into anything during boot including the bootloader, it always starts right into this loading screen thing. Kind of nervous, I'm worried that I finally managed to brick my phone :ohdear:

Edit: I'm running CM 6.1 on a CDMA Hero by the way

Edit 2: If I hit the power button while the progress bar is starting it says

ClockworkMod Recovery v.2.5.0.1
Finding update package...
Opening update package..
Verifying update package..
Installing update..
(then it restarts)

I'm not familiar with the Hero, but why is your phone booting directly into recovery. Do you still have access to the bootloader? If so, you may be able to fastboot and reflash recovery.

Also, some of the things I read indicated that apps2sd can cause issues on the Hero. Have you tried booting with your sd card removed?

Finally, I found this post that some folks were using to fix their heros, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=4467471&postcount=13 . It looks like it will install a stock rooted image on your phone, and looks to be a last resort of sorts.

I feel bad because I'm the one that gave you the advice that started you on all this... I would never imagine that uninstalling gmail would cause these kind of issues though. I've done the exact same thing at least five times on my phone (even more than that if you include facebook uninstalls and reinstalls).

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
For the Evo, someone on xda is compiling CM7 periodically. I'm running it now and liking it so far.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

wolrah posted:

Which recovery are you using? I've read a few reports that Clockwork has potential problems with CM7 and other Gingerbread ROMs, so I haven't bothered to test it out yet. Something about ext4.

I was using Clockwork, but my nandroid backups kept getting corrupted so I switched to Amon RA. But I don't think the corruptions had anything to do with gingerbread though. Clockwork was able to flash the gingerbread rom and gapps without issue for me the couple of times I did it.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

wolrah posted:

Are there still GPS problems with CM7 on the Evo? I never noticed any issues with anything else when I just upgraded from 6.1.1 to one of the early 7 builds, but even after a wipe and fresh install GPS did not work reliably.

Here's hoping we see WiMax properly integrated for the full release though, I'm in need of a fresh install after some recent loving around and having trouble deciding between 6.1.2-WiMax and 7 nightlies.

My clean CM7 has GPS issues, and the xda CM7 Evo thread specifically states that there are GPS problems. Particularly, GPS is able to turn on and get your current location; however, GPS does not currently lock on for navigation purposes.

quote:

GPS is flaky at best. Seems to often grab a lock when stationary, but doesn't continue to track for navigation.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Moogs posted:

Is anyone having problems with the wireless tethering on the newest CM7? Is that not something they've implemented yet, or am I doing it wrong?

From what I understand, wireless tethering functioning is dependent on the kernel, so you could try some a different kernel. I believe a few are compatible with CM7. I was wireless tethering with the unofficial CM7 builds on my EVO, but I just tried it with the official nightly builds and I can't get it to work now either.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Urfdser posted:

I feel like a total tard but I'm having a lot of trouble finding MIUI for Evo. I stumbled into some thread on xda, where a guy had a signature with his latest Rom. Is this what I should be using?

http://miui-dev.com/forums/showthread.php?2053-UPDATE-New-Official-Release-Thread-%28Stock-CM-Mod-Manup-Mod%29-1.1.28

And while we're at it, does anyone have a link to CM7 with 4G support handy? I just looked at the 4G map someone linked a couple pages back and it looks like there is 4G here. I thought the closest was Orlando, then someone told me Ft Lauderdale Beach was teh closest. Turns out its here the whole drat time in Cutler Bay. Too bad I found out just in time to move to a place with no 4G. Found this, but I'm not sure if its the only 4G CM7 or just one that someone put all sorts of extra crap on. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935275

And finally.. I flashed CM7 only a few days ago, and I love it, aside from a few things that are bugging me. I miss the Sense Clock widget and it seems like I have no weather anywhere. Is there something I can use to get a big ol clock widget with teh weather and stuff? The other thing is probably a setting I missed, but there is no 'lock screen', it takes me straight to the enter unlock pattern screen. So if I'm playing music or whatever, there is no widget to control it.

For MIUI, I believe this is what you are looking for - MIUI.

For CM7 with 4G, this is the ROM on xda I was thinking about using, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=902051. Looks like it is getting more traffic than the one you referenced.

For a clock with weather, I think Beautiful Widgets is what a lot of people use, but it cost $2. The MIUI Digital Weather Clock also looks pretty good, MIUI Digital Clock (pretty much a clone of the sense clock).

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
I rooted my wife's HTC EVO about half a year ago and installed Fresh on it because she was happy with Sense. The main reason she wanted her phone rooted was for wifi tethering. Then about two weeks ago, her phone started going bonkers (boot-loops, random resets, etc.). I tried to nandroid restore a backup, and the backup would not even boot. Needless to say, I was a little confused, but I wiped the phone and installed CM6 on it, which seemed to fix it.

But a couple days ago, it started going nuts again and eventually went into a bootloop and would not go into recovery. I reflashed the recovery, and it still would not boot into recovery. I ended up unrooting the phone, but the boot-loop still persisted. So it looks like we'll be exchanging the phone with Sprint.

I guess my question is, is it likely that the rooting and installation of varios ROMs on the phone caused the issues? She was on Fresh with no issues for almost half a year and the phone was never overclocked, so I'd like to think probably not. I'm trying to determine if it is worth rooting her phone once we get a new one. Also, what is the bear minimum you have to do to get wifi tethering working on the EVO? Last I heard, I believe the stock installation couldn't wifi tether even after you unrevoked because there was an issue with the kernel.

Also, my own EVO has been working perfectly since I rooted it 8 or so months ago. On CM7 now and loving it.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Doctor Butts posted:

Is there something with the dialer for CM7 that does not allow me to longpress on a number to dial a contact?

Not sure about longpress, but you can change the settings of the dialer to put dial buttons on the right side of all the contacts. In preferences within dialer in the "call log" section, there is an option for "show dial button."

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
I also switched to MIUI recently (from CM7) on my EVO, and I've been very happy with it. I've also noticed the battery life being a lot better, and it seems much more stable than it was pre-GB.

Also, what is MIUI like on the Nook Color? I just recently got one and have been running CM7, but I'm shopping around for better ROMs before I get too comfortable with CM7.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
So I currently have CM7 installed on the SD card of my Nook Color. What do I need to do to get CM9 on the SD card instead? If I just put the CM9 ROM in the root partition and then reboot, will it just install over the current CM7 instead of wiping and installing, which I believe would cause everything to become completely messed up?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Wagonburner posted:

Dunno about him but we keep our 2 stock because my wife says some of the kids books that do special things, interactive or video or something don't run on the nook app. If it were up to me that crap bn os would be gone long ago.

This is also why we are trying to keep the color stock. Hopefully, they will update the Nook app to handle the interactive kids books eventually. I believe B&N updated the app recently for comic books, which is a good sign.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll see if I can get CM9 up and running this weekend.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

r0ck0 posted:

Ya, I already got the $10 but the $40 is deposited later. :iiam:

From the promotion description:

quote:

Additional $40 credit will be added to your Google Wallet prepaid card within three weeks of Google Wallet activation.

So I wouldn't stress until at least another week has passed. I activated on the 20th on my non-rooted phone, and I still haven't seen my $40 either.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have the LTE GNex with rooted ICS and recently it's started telling me there's a system update available. What happens if I update it? Will it brick my phone? Should I unroot and unlock before implementing it?

It will probably just not be able to install since you don't have the stock bootloader. Or it might install and unroot your phone. I don't think it will brick your phone, or at least the times I did this with my EVO, it didn't. I haven't ever tried it on my GNex though.

Either way, I'd suggest not doing it and simply wait until the ROM makers incorporate the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

yamdankee posted:

There's probably a better way, but I bought SwitchPro widget back in the Droid X days, and I reinstalled it when I tried stock JB and saw it has notification shade functionality. It doesn't stay at the top of the shade, but it works.

I'm using it on ICS, and it is certainly better than nothing. The one little quirk is that it takes up a spot in your notification bar in order to ensure that it runs continuously, so you'll have a blank spot up there.