Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

The T-Mobile G2 has a one-click temporary root app in the Android Market called VISIONary. You have to have USB Debugging enabled to use it, and it only persists until you reboot. So far there are no custom ROMs for it, although some extra functionality is being hacked in through kernel modules like this one.

So apparently the G2 is Jesus reincarnated in an inanimate object. Has already been OCed to 1.42ghz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Millstone posted:

does anybody find it ironic that the ones rooting and hax0ring their Android devices to the extent of overclocking the CPU and compiling kernels are likely pasty Lunix nerds who have no use for a phone in the first place?

This isn't 1982, kid.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Are there any Droid 1 roms with HTC's Sense ported over (and preferably running 2.2)? I want to fool around with it but :google: hasnt really given me anything.

Last I checked there was a few developers trying to but couldn't.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
someone posted a while back that they installed the nexus CM6 nighty build on their incredible. Anyone know how to do this?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

deong posted:

Check out the cyanogen forums, there is a port for the Incredible ;)

I know this but he said that there were a lot more features in the nexus build. Figured I'd try it to see if that's true.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I really like CM 6.1 RC so far but I absolutely detest the stock android dialer and contact apps. Does anyone know of any replacements that are full replacements? Every dialer I have tried is just that, nothing replaces the in call screen.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Casao posted:

Because the in call screen is deeply tied into the OS, and it would take a ROM-level replacement to change this.

What exactly do you "absolutely detest" about them.

It's ugly as poo poo, the dialer doesn't tie in with the contacts like the sense dialer does, and you can't search by dialing out the contact's name as in sense .

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

heat posted:

Dialer One

Thank you, good sir.

Casao posted:

So, in short, 2/3 are fixed with Dialer One and the other is so vague I'm going to ignore this.

Get it now?

Hope that isn't too "vague".

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

chippy posted:

Beats me to be honest. I don't miss Rosie at all, but I'm still not down with the stock dialler/phonebook, or any of their replacements. I'd love for someone to get those working.

edit: That rabbit fella is now claiming he has those working as well. Interesting. Seems weird that he hasn't actually posted a ROM or anything though.

Yeah, he seems pretty shady. Makes no mention of how he did it because of "time constraints".

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So I have an HTC Incredible and found a pretty nice theme for another sense phone and all I want is to use the dialer graphics from the theme in my current rom. I know how to extract and rezip apks, but don't know where the dialer graphics are located. I've narrowed it down to either settings.apk or framework-res.apk. Anyone know where they are located and which specific files they are?

E: I thought it'd be HTCDialer.apk but the theme doesn't include this apk so I'm lost as to what's controlling the color of the dialer (specifically the number keys).

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 6, 2010

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

God Exists. posted:

It's in Phone.apk, not htcdialer.apk. They're the phone_number pngs in the drawable_hdpi folder.

Wow, thank you! I looked in Phone.apk too but must have overlooked it. Apparently the button background is btn_dial_normal.9.png

E: wtf, the theme I downloaded has no phone.apk but screenshots show a themed dialer. What's going on?

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 7, 2010

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

God Exists. posted:

Is it a metamorph? Where'd you get it from?

I'm thinking it probably is.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=789493

All I want is the dialer button graphic from the greencarbon theme in the second post.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

God Exists. posted:

I think I found what your problem was. Turns out that the green Dial button is in framework.res in the drawable_hdpi folder. Here's the files you want, in any case

I was actually looking for the number keys but I found them in com.htc.resources
Thanks a lot, man :)

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
so what's the deal with CM6.1? Is the camera universally unable to support 720p or is it just for the Incredible?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

tzirean posted:

Well, wait, not so fast. Titanium Backup can't acquire root access, even though it's listed in Superuser Permissions. Am I missing a middle step there?

You most likely don't have busybox. Click the bottom righthand button in Titanium (should say something like "problem?") and it'll download it.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

tzirean posted:

That was it. Thank you.

Most welcome.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Zarkov Cortez posted:

When you say Rom Manager is this what you are referring to?

http://www.appbrain.com/app/rom-manager/com.koushikdutta.rommanager

yep, that's it.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

BathroomTile posted:

Is there a difference between the premium and free version? I'm not seeing anything immediate in Appbrain.

Honestly? not really. There's options like updating your rom to the newest version (if the rom is compatible) and downloading "Premium" roms, but that's usually just CM Nightlies and MIUI builds. At least for my phone.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 11, 2010

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

flyboi posted:

So MIUI now has a themeing system which allows you to replace the picture in any apk on the system as well as icons. Pretty spiffy imo.

I know it's kind of the appeal of MIUI but is there any way to get rid of 1375 icons spread across 18 screens (not literally)? I've put them into folders but that's still pretty annoying. I'm used to the app drawer.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

flyboi posted:

Install Launcher Pro or ADB and use it instead of the launcher with MIUI.

Actually just came here to update my post. Thanks!

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

flyboi posted:

I switch between MIUI launcher and Launcher Pro. I like it because it feels a lot more snappier than CM6 and I get the best battery life out of any other rom. 25% used and 17 hours since last unplugged at the moment.

Are you using the stock kernel? My battery life is pretty good but I wouldn't say that performance feels snappier than CM6

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Doctor Butts posted:

Sorry I'm asking here instead of researching myself, I'm pretty busy.

But does anyone have an incredible and use MIUI? Any problems with it a la CM 6's camcorder FC?

I'm having no such problems.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

tehfox0r posted:

So I tried out and played with MIUI on my EVO. I liked it a lot, however the battery life was abysmal when idle and I couldn't get used to having a ton of homescreens for every single app I had and I missed the App drawer terribly. I know you could make folders for your apps in MIUI, but that just became burdensome after some time and I gave up. If there was a way to use MIUI and literally have the LauncherPro app drawer icon on bottom dock, I'd be sold. I've even considered putting every app I don't need on my home screen into a single folder and go from there, but browsing your apps from the folder view is burdensome and not very efficient in that small window. I guess I'm not very good at dealing with change :(

This was covered earlier in the thread. I actually asked that question; just install Launcherpro.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I'm using MIUI right now but the battery life kind of sucks so I might switch to a different kernel. My two favorites are Redemptive Rom and MIUI.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Don't sign in after a fresh wipe > Menu > Settings > Privacy. You'll see the options for back up and restore.

Feel free to sign in after that.

Pretty sure there's an option to uncheck backup and restore during the setup.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Mein Eyes! posted:

Big news this week: the nook color has been rooted by XDA devs, making it essentially a $250 android tablet.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/11/rooted_nook_color_delivers_android_experience_on_a_cheap_250_tablet.html

I was waiting for this. I want a nook color badly but honestly can't justify owning a tablet at all.

E: Even for $250

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
What happened to new builds of MIUI coming out every friday? I don't see anything for the Incredible.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
so I ripped LatinIME.apk from the newest Skyraider ROM for the Gingerbread keyboard but completely forgot about libjni_latinime.so in /system/lib/. Felt pretty dumb.
poo poo works great though.

E: This was before I heard of the DL link

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Holy poo poo......it took half a year for you guys to get S-OFF? I'm sorry

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Sizzlechest posted:

BTW, why is this so great?

It isn't necessary for most users but it basically allows you to install new radios and splash screens.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
don't know if this has been asked prior but has there been any word on whether current tablets will be able to upgrade to Honeycomb?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Ok so I want to upgrade my Incredible to Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 and figured that I can use this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=897612

However, I honestly haven't done much research into it but know that it will convert the internal storage to EXT4, so am I safe to assume that emmc won't be readable by Windows?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

big mean giraffe posted:

The Segoe UI font is amazing with Android.

How did you set it to be the default font?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

dissss posted:

Just use Typefresh (link is a few posts above yours)

I was hoping to install the font and change a setting rather than installing another app but I'll give this a go. Thanks.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Is anyone else getting horrible service with the CM7 nightlies? I went on a trip to NC this past weekend and half the time the signal sucked, there was none where there should have been (travel the area quite a bit), or it would have 1x where there was 3G service. Restarting sometimes fixed it but restarting every time it drop is a pain.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Dirk Pitt posted:

Has anyone gone from CM7 to MIUI? This HTC Inspire is my first Android device and I am curious if I am missing anything in MIUI.

I'm sure Casao is going to jump on this post and let you know what an orgasm of a rom MIUI is but compared to CM7, it's very visually polished and has a surprising amount of customization options. Gingerbread-based MIUI builds are supposed to be coming out this friday, but if you can't wait I'd recommend at least checking it out.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Dirk Pitt posted:

Thanks.

I know I was asking a generally vague question. I didn't know that updates were coming this Friday. I wonder if my Inspire (Desire HD) will get the gingerbread update.

Do you know anything about battery life compared to CM7, or is battery life more dependent on radios and what not?

I can't really compare the two simply because I haven't been running MIUI long enough but from what I've read, CM7 battery life is kind of hit or miss for lots of people. Mine wasn't terrible but wasn't great by any means. If I remember correctly, lots of people were saying that they were getting good battery life out of MIUI, but to answer your latter question; battery life depends on signal,radio,programs running, and kernel.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Casao posted:

This is completely not true, FYI.

Yeah....what? I've only had one backup not work and I'm pretty sure it had something to do with user error at the time.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Casao posted:

Wipe wipes /data and /cache, that's what it's supposed to wipe. What the hell else do you expect it to wipe?

This. Are you referring to formatting the sdcard? There's an option for that in the preferences and in my opinion, I'd rather that the recovery not touch my sdcard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Actually while we're on the topic of recoveries, I've always done this for I don't know what reason but I always wipe my phone, reboot recovery, then install rom but read on the MIUI forum this morning that you should wipe and install new roms in the same session. Any ideas as to why or why not this might be better?