Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Online Theme Kitchen kinda owns. Unfortunately, it seems to not be outputting new zips right now. Or else Android Jesus hates me.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ok, so try it again and don't mess up this time? You've got the thread with instructions how to do it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Millstone posted:

does anybody find it ironic that the ones rooting and hax0ring their Android devices to the extent of overclocking the CPU and compiling kernels are likely pasty Lunix nerds who have no use for a phone in the first place?

No, because the phone functionality is the same, they're improving their ability to be constantly entertained by electronic devices so they never need human contact.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

chippy posted:

Yep. After removing it with TB it's not longer visible in /system/app. After a reboot, it's back again. Running CM6 by the way, in case it makes any difference.

Turn on "Chuck Norris" mode.

Edit: Oh, wait, you're on a Desire, have they unlocked writing to /System yet?

Craptacular! posted:

CM6/N1: Is it possible to play with Launcher Pro or even reinstall the stock launcher? I don't like ADWLauncher really. Launcher Pro looks kind of sexy but more than anything I wish I'd just have the old launcher with my sexy coloured notification lights.

You can install LP from the market. But colored notification lights has nothing to do with the launcher - check CM Settings > UI > Notification lights and you can set it per-app.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

chippy posted:

No, not unless you've run the Alpha-rev S-OFF hack. For some reason I thought TB might be using some crazy workaround with ADB or something. Never mind.

ADB can't write to system if it's NAND locked.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anyone have a recent MDPI GApps they can post? The td mirror system no longer lists them, and I'm trying to get a slide setup on CM6.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

King Metal posted:

The latest Gapps should always be available here, at the bottom
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version

Yeah, I found this yesterday. The problem is that Team Douche's mirror poo poo itself and lost all the Gapps, so it was just the Tapeworm stuff, which isn't linked anywhere else.

deong posted:

That's odd. I grabbed it yesterday though. So here it is in my dropbox.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/340941/gapps-mdpi-20101008-signed.zip

Godzilla07 posted:

Latest MDPI GApps.

Thanks, but there's a new one dated the 20th now, has new Car apps and possibly Youtube.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

serewit posted:

Trying to root a new Incredible (SLCD model), and I'm running into issues. I pushed CM6 stable to it after using Unrevoked to root, but the version of CM isn't compatible with SLCDs. I'm trying to flash a new recovery via HBOOT, but it won't find anything. Any thoughts/suggestions?

I'm not familiar with Unrevoked, but Recoveries and ROMs are two differentt things - did flashing CM6 somehow wipe out your recovery? Or does UnRevoked on the SLCD Incredible not give you a custom recovery?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Gonna spend some time messing with MIUI, let me know if you have any questions about it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

LastInLine posted:

Honestly I'm interested in just about everything about it. Mostly I'd like to know how it compares in terms of everyday use versus CM6. Also is anything just flat out broken in MIUI?

Yes.

I couldn't get Facebook sync to work. I couldn't figure out a way to bring up Contacts directly, only by going to phone first. Nor did WiFi work.

Aside from these small bugs, it is really nice, and when it's Stable, I'll definitely give it a week or tow, possibly replace CM6 (depending on things like Gingerbread hitting, etc)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

JayKay posted:

Is there any way on CM6 to not turn off the screen immediately when I make a phonecall? Before, when I'd make a call, the screen would stay on till I guess the prox sensor tripped when I put the phone next to my ear. With CM6, it turns off immediately when I dial.

It's not doing this for me, what phone do you have and are you on Stable or nightly?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mogomra posted:

Definitely. I've been using it the past couple days and I don't have any complaints. The new settings UI is pretty great.

I'll give it another try in a week or two, probably.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

N1 version now supports led flashlight mode in the power control in the notification area.

Also noticing small performance increases everywhere, and the phone unlocks instantly when I hit the trackball.

He changed some poo poo in the kernel recently, yeah. I'm on the first nightly with it and it's great.

Unfortunately, since the gapps still aren't on the loving mirror system, I'm not updating again because it's going to require doing it manually instead of through rom manager.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

I just updated mine last night manually since I was doing my girlfriend's Droid anyways.

6.1 is absolutely amazing.

Been on the nightlies with all of it for a while, yeah.

Apparently ROM Manager is fixed, but I can't find 6.1 on it right now and I don't want to reboot to see if that helps.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

madkapitolist posted:

Anyone happen to have this one? Pretty excited to give 6.1 a try. gapps-mdpi-tiny-20101020-signed.zip

http://cyanogenmod-mirror.local.host.name/gapps/gapps-mdpi-tiny-20101020-signed.zip

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version has mirrors.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

chestnut santabag posted:

Yup, the H symbol was only added a few days ago.

What? No it wasn't. The H symbol has been in Cyanogen Mod since, like, CM4.

G1 has definitely had it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

I've never seen it before, and now I'm not seeing the 3G where I used to. I bet it's a straight replacement for it.

It's not. It's always been in CM, since like, the CM4 days. Unless it broke in the nightlies, it was there and working. I'm not even aware of a way to disable. Have you been skinning or something?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

dissss posted:

I'm getting the 'H' for the first time since flashing the 220 D/S nightly (over CM6 stable). Now it could be my network rolled out HSPA+ on the same evening I flashed 220 but others on the Dream/Sapphire in other places have reported seeing the 'H' for the first time too.

Mine actually only shows the H during data transfers, its 3G when the connection is idle.

Could've been broken in recent D/S builds, but I had it back in CM4 on my Magic.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

travisray2004 posted:

I really like CM 6.1 RC so far but I absolutely detest the stock android dialer and contact apps. Does anyone know of any replacements that are full replacements? Every dialer I have tried is just that, nothing replaces the in call screen.

Because the in call screen is deeply tied into the OS, and it would take a ROM-level replacement to change this.

What exactly do you "absolutely detest" about them.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

travisray2004 posted:

It's ugly as poo poo, the dialer doesn't tie in with the contacts like the sense dialer does, and you can't search by dialing out the contact's name as in sense .

So, in short, 2/3 are fixed with Dialer One and the other is so vague I'm going to ignore this.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

travisray2004 posted:

Thank you, good sir.

Get it now?

Hope that isn't too "vague".

No, because that's the same thing Dialer One is. The vague part was "ugly as poo poo".

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yamdankee posted:

I successfully flashed Adlxmod 2.1.5 on the Cliq, but whenever I connect USB it constantly reboots as soon as it sees that it's connected to USB. What can I do?

Flash it again.

Wipe and flash it.

These are always things to try. First is even non-destructive.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yamdankee posted:

Thank you, that fixed it.

I'm so frustrated though. I spent my entire day trying to find a kernel for the Cliq that supports Wireless Tethering. I found this one and went through the whole process, and flashing the patch so Wifi would work. I chose this one because he said that iptables is included, which I associated with Netfilter. So I thought, great, this is at least worth a try.

Fire up Wireless Tether..."No Netfilter!"

UGH! I was told that it is possible to get Wireless Tethering to work on the Cliq. PureHandler supposedly has a kernel with Netfilter, but as I stated I cannot find a download for it anywhere.

Can someone please help me? 7 hours down the drain. I would REALLY appreciate any help.

Not Handler. 2.1 rom but it mentions Tethering support. Download link works.

http://modmymobile.com/forums/548-motorola-cliq-roms/557448-rom-adlxmod-2-1-5-motorola-cliq-dext.html is the rom. Dunno if the link will work, I had to register.

That's apparently the same rom. It explicitly mentions Tethering support using Barnacle, not wireless tether.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yamdankee posted:

I checked the "Skip wpa_supplicant" box, but when I hit start, it just stays on starting. How long is it supposed to take for it to become active? It's just "Starting..." all the time.

Have you tried a wipe and reflash? Pull up aLogCat or CatLog when you do this and see what's popping up in logs.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yamdankee posted:

This says you can. Just to do a Nandroid backup first. That's for the HTC Dream, though. Wouldn't think it varies per device.

Not really an issue, staying inside the same major version of CM is usually fine without a wipe - some people went CM5 -> CM6 with no wipe, but I wouldn't recommend it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

yamdankee posted:

So at the top of this page I was crying for help to find a kernel or a ROM with a kernel that has Netfilter so that the CLIQ could use Wireless Tether from Google code. PureHandler did it, but no download is anywhere. I got Barnacle to work, but I'm still wondering where PureHandler went. How does something just disappear out of thin internets like that?

Nobody caring about it enough to put up a mirror.

Come on dude, it's a CLIQ rom, that's slightly above, like, FLIPOUT roms in terms of importance to the broad community.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

chippy posted:

What do you guys think of this?

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/8704-my-cyanogen-froyo-22-hybrid/page__gopid__84117#entry84117

It doesn't seem like what he's saying should work. I thought Rosie etc. required the Sense framework to function?

A lot of them that require the Sense framework don't actually need the functions, just have a sorta "Is this installed?" check. People have been porting Sense Music and Camera to CyanogenMod since the CM4 days. I'm not sure about Rosie or Weather Clock, but it's possible they've become self contained enough to do this.

Or he could be completely full of poo poo like a lot of the internet.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

heat posted:

Who in their right mind would rather have Rosie than ADW or LP?

People who like Sense widgets, or the themes.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

JayKay posted:

I'm still having issues with updating the CM 6.1 RC packs on my OG Droid via Rom Manager. Each time I've tried, the google apps install fails despite it being downloaded and I have to resort to a manual "Install via Zip" method and make sure the 1025 hdpi is manually installed.

Other than that, CM6.1 RC3 is awesome on my OG Droid

Only wipe I did was when I first put on nightly 160. Then I installed RC1 > RC2 > RC3 without wipes.

Clear download cache. It's corrupted occasionally, and it won't attempt a second download. He's also reverted to 9/30 pack because he thinks there's something wrong with 10/25.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

For the G2 and MT4G which still don't have permaroot, is there any reason you couldn't download the Wireless/Wired Tether for Root Users apk, temproot with VISIONary, and then tether away?

Wifi tether requires a module in the kernel that's generally not included in stock. It might be in 2.2 since it's got built in tethering.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TheReverend posted:

Yeah I just did the manual upgrade of the G2 and tethering options are there.

Yes, but does that have the kernel modules that wireless-tether requires? Or did they do it a different way?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

toby posted:

I don't know why, but the Epic is like the bastard unsupported child of the Galaxy S phones.

It takes a lot of skill to become the bastard, unsupported child of a Samsung phone line. They'd have to pretty much purposely introduce bugs.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

God Exists. posted:

Once you root you give up OTA updates in my opinion. You probably need an unmodified recovery in order to flash the OTA. I'm sure someone will leak a Gingerbread ROM on the N1 before its release date anyway.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Once the phone has been rooted can you use normal OTA updates, or would you need to unroot and then update?

I ask because I want to use the new Gingerbread release on my N1 when it comes out.

Official OTA updates use a different signing method for the update.zips than custom update.zips. As such, you cannot use a direct OTA update .zip on your phone with Clockwork Mod recovery. It will give a signature error and fail.

Since you're on an N1, you cannot lose root permanently. As such, you can always return to stock recovery and install the OTA if you're REALLY impatient. But there's always a custom update.zip out within a few hours. Usually, there's even a rooted version within a day or so.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

emoltra posted:

I'm using an Incredible running CyanogenMod 6.1 RC2, and for some reason it doesn't ring when I get calls. It vibrates, but it doesn't actually make any noise. I've spent a ton of time in my Sound and Call Settings but everything looks fine.

How are you setting ring tones?

I find that setting off the SD directly can cause issues like this if the SD card is ever unavailable - I edit the files, then use Ringdroid to create either a Ringtone or Notification directly and set THAT (With Rings Extended, if you like).

It's done wonders for me.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

JerseyMonkey posted:

What is the current status for the Google Apps (gapps) package? ROM Manager is unable to pull down Gapps for anything it seems like. TeamDouche's mirror doesn't even seem to have it listed as an option anymore as well.

What is the best resource for grabbing the latest Google Apps? I am hopeful that the newest download will finally have updated YouTube & Car applications.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version has this. And yeah, 20101025 has new YouTube and Car Apps.

yamdankee posted:

I don't understand why Wireless Tether from code.google.com always throws up the No Netfilter! error, but when I install Barnicle Wifi Tether on the same kernel it works fine.

Cause they use different methods of tethering.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

jromano posted:

What are the chances that T-Mobile's wifi calling gets added to Cyanogen Mod?

Almost nil, to be honest. He might include Kernel support, but he's not going to include the app, I'd wager.

God Exists. posted:

Rooting your phone doesn't result in any data loss, no.

The rooting itself might not, but changing roms, which most people do when they root, really should have a wipe in between.

Root your phone, install Titanium Backup, Buy Titanium Backup Unlocker, Back it all up, wipe & flash CM6 (or whatever rom you want hint: you want cm6) and then restore with Titanium.

Though, to be honest, a wipe every few months helps me cut down on fat that I never really think about uninstalling myself.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mask posted:

Trying not to flood the thread but here is what leaves me somewhat puzzled. I have NAND unlocked, just not S-OFF. I can do a Nandroid Backup and restore if I chose to. Regardless, am I going to have to do this everytime I need to update my Radios/Wimax/NV/PRI or when I get S-Off working, I can just use the XDA posted stuff to keep myself updated? Also, is there a way to completely restore everything I have done with my phone prior to going ahead and using the RUU method you posted? Not that I spent hours customizing what I have done currently but it would be nice to just be able to come back exactly to my setup without much fuss.

Also, thanks much for the RUU info.

I believe S-OFF means that Bootloader is unlocked, which means you can use the Fastboot app. This basically means you can never brick your device, even if you killed Recovery and the OS simultaneously.

It could be a different term though, I think it just means N1 style unlock.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

BathroomTile posted:

But after you root the Incredible, you can't receive any OTAs? I thought I saw somewhere that you still could, but I recall some people in this thread saying that the Incredible can't receive OTAs after root (does this apply to all phones?).

Custom recovery means you can't use official OTAs.

XDA will have an unofficial version out with root within hours of the actual OTA being released.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

BathroomTile posted:

What's the process of installing these unofficial updates?

Put the zip file on the sd, tell rom manager to install it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

deong posted:

The disk space is another reason ;). When you get a message saying disk is full, then see 10 apps you never use nor want, it gets irritating.

They're installed to /system, not /data, so they don't take up any space that you can be using for apps.