Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So I posted this in the XDA Nook Color General User forum but I thought somebody here might be able to help me a little quicker. I am just going to copy paste:

"Ok, I think this is the appropriate place to ask this question.

So I was trying to flash the CM7/HC hybrid build from the dev forum and I messed up a bit, here is how it went down.

I used rom manager to make a backup of my stock rooted 2.1, I then wiped data/factory reset and wiped cache (probably the wrong the to do, I'm coming from a Droid, probably should have done more research) and tried to install the .zip from the root of the SD card. I get an error message and kind of freak out, so I decide to abandon the project for tonight and try it again tomorrow. So I wipe data and cache and go to reinstall my nandroid backup. I load up the nandroid and now the NC wont boot at all, it gets to the cool Nook Color animation right before the lock screen pops up and just loops that.

Well, I realized that I had a dual boot thing going, thought that might be causing the problem so I went into the flashable dual boot thread and flashed everything back to normal in that respect. Now I get the "Touch the Future of Reading" boot screen but it still goes to the Nook Dev Nook Color screen and just loops. BUT now I can't even get into CWM.

So, I decided to just create a bootable .img on my SD card and throw CM7 on there and call it a night. I downloaded the right files, used winimg32 or whatever and burned the appropriate file, but now when I try to throw CM on the SD card it says it has to be formatted to use :-( I just want my NC back."

So basically right now I am having SD card issues as well as Nook Color issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Hey guys! I just picked up a used Samsung Fascinate off of Ebay to replace my rooted Droid (getting to the point of being unusable, getting pretty tired of dicking around with it) and of course since the Fascinate was easily the worst of the four US Galaxy S models because of it's bloatware and Touchwiz crap, I want to root it and install a custom rom right when I get it.

I've done a decent amount of research on the XDA forums but thought I would get some input from the SA crowd (like y'all better anyways).

So, for the rooted Fascinate owners out there:

Are you guys running a custom Rom and if so which one? A lot of the ones I was reading about on XDA seem to have a decent amount of broken stuff. Some of them have big things like MMS not working. Coming from the Droid scene that was a shock.

Are you guys overclocking at all? I don't really see a point in OC right now but what is y'alls experience with overclocking so far? Does the phone take kindly to it?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Fascinate is so hosed up that there are pretty much no AOSP ROMs and nothing Gingerbread yet except Kaoscinate, which is mainly nothing works. I'm running jt's SuperClean v2.9.2 and it's a great Froyo ROM with all of the Samsung poo poo removed and a GApps package from the start. It's the best I've found with regard to stability and things functioning.

GPS takes centuries to get a fix, but I understand that's a Fascinate problem in general.

Man, this is discouraging :(

I knew the Fascinate had some problems but I figured they could be fixed by throwing a new rom on there. Maybe I'll throw it back up on EBay and pick up the DX, but I hate the fact that it's locked down tight.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Really digging CyanogenMod, I've been jealous and curious because I own a Fascinate and don't get to play with the fun toys.

Am I correct that to flash new nightlies I just flash them without doing a full data/cache wipe?

Are you running it on the Fascinate? The only port I saw for the Fascinate had a ton of stuff broken.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I wish CM7 was out for the Fascinate :(

I love my Fascinate but I do miss CM a whole bunch, it is such an awesome Rom and I am amazed that it hasn't been ported to the Fascinate.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

It's not that people aren't working on porting to the Fascinate, it's that Samsung hosed the code so far off base that it's very difficult to get things working on it. The only real ROMs for Fascinate right now are "zip ROMs" which are compiled from Samsung's code but with things adjusted, tweaked, etc.

Basically we chose poorly as far as rooting phones goes. That said, Superclean Froyo is a good ROM and I'm happy enough to have moved up to 2.2 from the 2.1 stock ROM. Also, I do really like the phone, it's just a shame it can't run Gingerbread yet.

This is pretty depressing, for me it was either this or a DX and the situation with the DX is even worse if I understand correctly (locked boot loader and such). I just want a phone with nice hardware that isn't completely locked down, or a phone that is made by a company that supports their phones for longer than a week after they are released. I knew there was a reason I swore I would never buy a Sammy phone if I had another option.

I am running Super Clean right now and I like it just fine, I just wish we had some more options. There is a port of CM7 right now but it seems pretty out of date and also some major things aren't working. Yea, I am loving the phone and as long as Superclean stays stable I don't really see a need to switch roms (not that there is really anything to switch to).

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Is there a decent, rootable phone that I can run CM7 on the Verizon network? I've been disappointed with the Droid X (great hardware, but the stock ROM and custom ROMs are lackluster coming from CM7.) My contract is almost up with VZ and I'm wondering if it is time to jump ship to another provider with root-friendly phones.

Right now I'm pretty sure Verizon does not have a phone with a CM7 port, I bought the Fascinate off ebay as a hold me over phone till I can officially upgrade and was disappointed to see that there wasn't a port (yes yes I know there is but there are to many things broken). I am happy with the Fascinate running a cut and paste rom but I do really miss CM7, maybe the Thunderbolt will get a port?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

The General posted:

I've half bricked my phone using Odin. I'm attempting to fix the issue but I literally lost my backups (Started at my dads house, backed up stuff onto a thumbdrive, lost the thumbdrive!?)

So, I'm looking for the stock firmware/rom for my phone. A Samsung Galaxy S I9000. The Canadian Bell version of the phone, if that makes any difference (And I'm pretty sure it does, as I believe that's where my troubles started)

I pretty much hate using Odin.

You would probably have better luck looking on the XDA forums or some forums specifically for your phone. Not saying that someone on here couldn't point you in the right direction but you might get a slightly quicker and more thorough response.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
For me it was a choice between an incomplete tablet that can't do some of the key things I need (Netflix) and also cost as much as a nice-ish laptop or buy a cheaper tablet to hold me over till the HC tablets aren't overpriced buggy turds (I'm aware this isn't everyone's experience, but I've read to many stories on the net to ignore them). The decision was made for me when the groupon deal allowed you to get the NC for half price, but even for 250 it's still a nice little piece.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Furnok Dorn posted:

I have a Galaxy S and since rooting it its become insanely cantankerous when its powered off and then powered on again, hanging on the initial desktop with a black screen for up to a minute sometimes before loading anything. Anybody know whats up?

This has been happening to me with the latest version of LPP on my Fascinate running both Blackhole and CM6. What model SGS are you running and what (if any) home replacement are you using.

Also yea, when conversing on a forum about the SGS it is a good idea to include which variation you have, especially when it comes to rooting/custom roms and such.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

CM7 for the Fascinate updated again last night, it now has USB mounting and haptic feedback, as well as all the sensors, GPS, wifi, and RIL. Still no camera or camcorder. I'm running CM6, which I think does not have MMS anyhow, and I don't use bluetooth, so that's not a big loss.

Holding out for camera (camcorder is not a big loss) and video codecs, but I'm really excited about the progress being made.

That's really awesome, the progress they are making is really impressive.

I ran CM6 and loved the speed but realized I missed the convenience of MMS and also I felt like the camera quality in general went down (may have been my imagination though), I'm currently trying out the Community Rom and I'm liking it a lot. I am anxiously awaiting the day when MMS is fixed in CM6 (or 7!!) so I can make the switch completely. I still might though, it just ran so smoothly.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Tonight's "well, now I see why we do that" moment was when I tried to flash a theme over CM6.2Beta for Fascinate. Bootloop ahoy! Then I tried to flash an ED01 AOSP ROM, and that wasn't great. Soooo back to CM6.2 via nandroid backup, and thank God I paid attention when they said "ALWAYS DO A NANDROID BACKUP"

I'd've persisted in getting the right version to run the theme if I didn't have to wake up and drive to the airport in 4.5 hours. Welp.

After a few days running the community Tom (TW based) I went back to my nandroid backup of CM6. Even with a couple of things not working my phone just runs so much better. It's crazy.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Corez posted:

I figured the actual card was the issue, but after buying a brand new card and experiencing the exact same problem with it I am a bit stumped.

I know the odds are probably not that great but you could have gotten a defective card, maybe take it back and exchange it for another one?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Had to Odin my Fascinate back to stock Froyo tonight after somehow loving up an install of Community ROM 1.3 resulting in a soft brick. I don't know what the gently caress went wrong, but none of my backups were able to get by the bootloop. No idea what it was, though, because after reflashing back to stock, I reinstalled the same ROM and it's running fine now. :iiam:

How is it? I have been thinking about trying it out once 1.3 hit. I'm currently running cm6 but was wanting a change.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Doesn't look any more useful or aesthetically pleasing to me, just me though.

I'm finding the best use of Wave Launcher is as a home screen launcher, the only problem is it doesn't show the notification on the screen. I fixed that by having each notification (gmail, sms and gtalk) be a different tone. Is working out well so far.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Man, that is awesome news for you guys. I wish the Nook Color ports was coming along as well, I know they have made progress (Gapps working now I think) but I still feel like it isn't ready for daily driver use.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Seems like they are having trouble getting all the bugs worked out of CM7, is it more bugs than usual or does it just seem that way to me?

Edit: By no means am I taking away from their work, the only thing I want a fully working version on my Fascinate is CM7 :( Maybe they will be able to officially support the SGSII......maybe.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 13, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

The Grand Judabuddha posted:

I'm new to android and this whole rooting thing. I get that when I root my phone I basically wipe it, but what about updates? The first post says I shouldn't accept OTA updates, but does that mean every time I update my OS I have to wipe the whole phone again? How often do these updates come out?

Rooting itself doesn't wipe the phone, it just gives the user complete control of their phone. Flashing a custom rom does wipe your phone though, updates will no longer come over the air from your carrier so you will have to download them and flash them yourself. Generally you wont have to wipe the phone if your just updating the rom.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Animal posted:

Samsung Galaxy S and some of its variants (Vibrant and Captivate) now are officially merged into Cyanogenmod 7.

Makes me so sad :(

(Fascinate owner)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

I know, right?

Progress is being made for us, too, though. We'll get there someday.

It's true, I've been really pleased with the progress they are making on the CM7 ports. They already run better than the TouchWiz based roms, just have to get those little things figured out.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Seems pretty solid to me. Battery meter is still hosed though.

I just want to say that the thought of CM7 on a dual core phone gets me super hot n bothered.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

CM nightly 86 is really getting there on the Nook Color.

Starting with nightly 82, it included the new 2.6.32 kernel for the Nook Color that fixed Deep Sleep. And starting with nightly 86, it has the new boot partition. I'm guessing it helps if you format /boot or don't have the 1.2 uboot installed. The big thing to me is getting a custom boot splash finally.

With CM 7.0.x, powering on the Nook Color looked like this:

1) "Touch the Future of Reading" or "Read Forever" boot splash in jagged letters.
2) Corrupted "Loading" text flashes quickly.
3) "ANDROID" text in landscape with a blinking cursor.
4) ... then the boot animation loads.

With 7.1/Nightly 86+, it is like this now:

1) Decent-looking, colored "cyanogen(mod)" boot splash.
2) The boot animation loads.

CyanogenMod 7.0.x has pretty much been alpha/beta for the Nook Color, even if it was released as "stable". 7.1 will be a real release for it.

That rules. Thinking I might wait till 7.1 to switch over as my NC has been running flawlessly lately.

Can't say the same for my Fascinate though. I've been running Community Rom lately and there are just a lot of little things that irritate me. Random short freezes, apps not opening correctly, hell even scrolling through my three home screens isn't smooth anymore. There is no rom for my phone that fits all my needs. Any Fascinate owners tried the Evil Fascination rom?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Are you using the legit version of Netflix or the one hacked not to verify the device? It's possible that the ROM is reporting itself as something other than an EVO 4G.

This is kind of tangent to the current conversation, but do you have a link to that? I doubt it will work on my Fascinate (nothing does) but it's worth a shot maybe.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I'd link to it but I'm not sure if it's considered :filez: or not. You can easily find it on XDA though.

Cool, thanks man. Any idea as to whether it works on all phones or just some (I highly doubt it works on all, I'm sure I'll have to do some investigation).

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I've never been able to get a good eight hours out of my Fascinate, no matter the rom. Im sure that's not typical though, for example today I got a whole five and a half hours out of my phone before it was down to about 14%. It was in my pocket for probably 80% of that time. Spare parts showed no crazy app, GPS and BT were off, gmail and weatherbug are the only things I have syncing at the moment. For the record I'm running com rom 1.3 also.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Speaking of ComRom 1.3, I could've sworn I've used GPS since installing it, but yesterday I couldn't get a GPS fix in over half an hour. That doesn't seem normal, even for a Fascinate.

I had to navigate. . . manually! It was a pretty harrowing experience :v:

It's stopped working for me about a week after I installed it. I got into the XDA thread and couldn't really find a good solution. I've pretty much given up on having everything working on this phone at once, at least for now.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

calandryll posted:

I've run into some problems with my rooted NC. I'm running 1.2 manual nooter, just updated the other day. It was fine for the last few days but it seems that the battery drained last night. I'm now in an endless reboot stage, it spells out nook color, or parts of it before it restarts.

I have CWM (3.0.2.8) on an SD card, I've wiped cache and Dalvick cache, but that has not worked. Any ideas on what my next step could be? I've tried searching xda but it is a wasteland of help. Another annoying thing is it will not power down if I have charging, is this normal?

Sounds like you might just have to start over, wipe everything and install a fresh version of B&N's software. As far as the boot loop goes, I had that happen while my batter was low and I just booted into CWM and left it plugged in like that for about an hour, not ideal but it charged fine.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

calandryll posted:

Yeah just did a factory wipe. As soon as I get it setup again I'm going to let it get to full charge and then work on nootering it again. I never had these problems with 1.1. I wonder if the OC kernel may have been some of the problem.

The only time I've gotten stuck in a loop (and it wasn't my fault) it was kernel related. I tried to install a new one, it got angry. I started all over, tried the kernel again and all was golden. It has run flawlessly for about a month or so (maybe longer), last night I had my first random shut down. Ever.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Fascinate users, I'm going to be trying Evil Fascination in a few minutes, I have to take my fiancee to work then I'll be flashing it. I'll report back, possibly with screenshots.

Excellent! I've been thinking about trying it out but the theme looked truly horrid. Looking forward to a goons opinions.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Fascinate folks, some options are showing up. CM6.2 Beta just updated on 6/3, and ComRom 2.0 is now out as of yesterday. I'm flashing ComRom 2 to see how it stacks against Evil Fascination, which I thought was pretty good, and ComRom 1.3, which I thought was kinda twitchy.

Edit: Fast and responsive with a good stock Launcher, though I'll be returning to LauncherPro most likely just because I like the feel. Things run smoothly. I'll get back to you all on battery life later tonight, starting from 100% at just before noon, and running it like I usually do (GPS off, WiFi off, lots of texting, occasional phone calls, some browsing).

I like it so far though, and it looks much better than stock Evil Fascination, though it's Gingerbread themed so it looks pretty much like any Gingerbread theme.

Edit2: Not going to update on battery life tonight as I used the phone abnormally much today. Will report after a few days of normal use.

I decided to flash the new ComRom after having some serious hiccups with Evil Fascination (I think it was something I did). I liked it but just like with the last version of Community Rom the GPS pretty much refuses to work, with Evil Fascination it locks on almost instantly. Everything else about ComRom 2.0 was really nice. Now I am ready for them to make some real progress on the CM ports, I think the CM 6.2 fixed the B&W camera preview and like one other thing. Need me some MMS and camcorder yo.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Granted it's a promise and not action yet, but HTC is now saying the Sensation's bootloader will be unlocked via software update. Good news since that along with a few other models got out the door before HTC changed their policy.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-support-statements-show-possible-sensation-unlock-path

This is awesome, I hope they follow through.

Engadget is reporting that Samsung has sent a few Galaxy S 2 phones to the CM devs involved in porting CM over to the Captivate. This is awesome and hopefully means SGSII will be officially supported.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I love that I bought a Fascinate over a Droid X because off the bootloader. I'm going to steal my fiancees DX if it gets official CM support before the Fascinate.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Fascinate owners, I am now running NAMELESS v4 EC09 Gingerbread, and it is wonderful. I wouldn't waste time with the stock TouchWiz unless you like Bing and Samsung poo poo, but this runs smoothly, it's snappy and quick, the GO Launcher it's packaged with is as functional as LPP (though I'm only just trying it out, having been a longtime LPP fan) and overall it's just very exciting that my all the Gingerbread stuff on my phone is actually Gingerbread and not just Froyo in play clothes.

Highly recommending this for anyone who is too impatient to wait for jt and crew to get MMS and sensors working in AOSP CM7, or who like TouchWiz functionality without TouchWiz bullshit.

Supposedly an update to NAMELESS v4 will be being posted shortly on XDA, as he said it would've been an update but he changed too much and made it a new version. Will report back once I have that working.

I flashed the leak shortly after it hit and have been having few problems, mainly I'm getting really bad random lag but other than that it has been awesome. I'll try out nameless tonight for sure. Pretty happy about this, hopefully CM7 isn't to far off.

Oh, and loving netflix works like a charm!

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Well drat, installed Nameless 4.1 on my Fascinate and now it seems anything that needs a coarse location force closes without fail. The person responsible for the Rom posted new install instructions last night so I am going to try them today on my lunch break and see if a new install helps.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I'm kind of at a loss here. I tried out the leaked GB build for the Fascinate, decided I didn't like it so I flashed the modified version of it for shits. A lot of stuff was broken so I've just decided to go back to 2.2 for the time being for stability reasons. Here is where I run into problems.

I flashed back to the stock Samsung build using ODIN, I then wanted to install Evil Fascination to see how it was on top of a completely clean phone. I follow the instructions in the thread and Evil Fascination boots up perfectly, I get everything set up on my phone the way I want then I go to reboot. When I reboot the phone will do one of two things:

1) Will start force closing everything on the second boot, nothing starts up it just sits there is force closes every app.

2) It takes me to a weird screen with a little Android in the top left hand side with some red text overlayed and next to it it says "kernel Panic Upload Mode."

I can go back to stock fine, no problem, I can reboot it as many times as I want but when I try to odin a recovery then flash Evil Fascination my phone just flips. Back to stock for now I guess.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

JerkyBunion posted:

Looks cool enough but these guys are just really bad at making good looking themes for their roms.

I'm pretty convinced that most Android roms are themed by 12 year old boys who like bright colors and explosions, just my experience though.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

to keep nebby-nosed games from phoning home :tinfoil:.

Had I been drinking milk, it would have come out my nose. Not sure why either.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I thought it was a market block only? Still working on my Fascinate.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Doghouse posted:

Does the 7.1 update for CM for the Nook Color come recommended? Is it as stable as the previous release? Does it have better battery life?

It has been rock solid for me so far. As far as battery life goes I can't really comment as I'm overclocked and overvolted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Fascinate Owners!

CM7 is one step closer to having everything working. One of the last two problem items has been fixed in the latest update, phone not waking for calls and messages. This leaves only mms, which has been a low priority item.

This is extremely exciting and hopefully brings the Fascinate even closer to being officially supported by CM.