Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Ramagamma posted:

Edit: Its actually impossible to love Pinball in Scotland. Can't find any information on pinball tables/clubs in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

According to http://pinformer.co.uk/ (the UK listing of pinball locations) you don't seem to have it too bad. Certainly better than Birmingham, where the the only pub with a pinball is apparently getting torn down soon leaving us with zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Hell yeah I completed my Wizard goals for TOTAN. :madmax: Saved da princess in my first ball and had like five extra balls saved up when the game crashed as I hit around 60 million.

:ughh:

ShapesYay
Oct 18, 2004
I AM IN THE SKOOL BAND LOL

FishBulb posted:

Pinball Map has informed that there are like 7 Harley Davidson tables in ABQ.

But the bowling alley around the corner has Twilight Zone and Simpsons Pinball Party so I guess I'm going bowling.

I am a college educated bowler so thats nice.

Your post made me literally laugh out loud. I took two semesters of bowling in college (gotta love BS courses)! Unfortunately, no bowling alleys around me have any good tables.

Tomorrow I'm going to the National Pinball History Museum in Baltimore. Here's hoping it's a good time.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

ShapesYay posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to the National Pinball History Museum in Baltimore. Here's hoping it's a good time.

Pictures! I want to live this experience through you.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Well, Pinball Arcade (XBLA) managed to gently caress my progress today.

I was playing Ripley's and was having a good run (for me). I unlocked the fifth Standard Goal and got the achievement. Unfortunately, my final ball disappeared somehow during multiball, and there was no way to get it back. The machine's auto-cycle couldn't find it, and the Call Attendant option claimed there wasn't a ball stuck.

Not the end of the world, right?

Well, here's the problem: I quit out of the session and noticed that it was still displaying the Standard Goals for Ripley's, but they were all checked. Uh-oh -- the Wizard Goals didn't open up. I went and played a game on Tales of the Arabian Nights, hoping maybe it would fix things. When I finished, it said "All Standard Goals complete -- Wizard Goals unlocked" -- for TotAN. What? That was the first time I'd played TotAN in Pinball Arcade, and I only completed one goal.

So now I'm locked out of the Wizard Goals on Ripley (since they're not available), and locked out of the achievement for the Standard Goals on TotAN. I suppose I can just delete my save file, but that's a pretty lovely bug.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

WhiteHowler posted:

Well, Pinball Arcade (XBLA) managed to gently caress my progress today.

I was playing Ripley's and was having a good run (for me). I unlocked the fifth Standard Goal and got the achievement. Unfortunately, my final ball disappeared somehow during multiball, and there was no way to get it back. The machine's auto-cycle couldn't find it, and the Call Attendant option claimed there wasn't a ball stuck.

Not the end of the world, right?

Well, here's the problem: I quit out of the session and noticed that it was still displaying the Standard Goals for Ripley's, but they were all checked. Uh-oh -- the Wizard Goals didn't open up. I went and played a game on Tales of the Arabian Nights, hoping maybe it would fix things. When I finished, it said "All Standard Goals complete -- Wizard Goals unlocked" -- for TotAN. What? That was the first time I'd played TotAN in Pinball Arcade, and I only completed one goal.

So now I'm locked out of the Wizard Goals on Ripley (since they're not available), and locked out of the achievement for the Standard Goals on TotAN. I suppose I can just delete my save file, but that's a pretty lovely bug.

http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/155-Missing-ball-unable-to-continue?p=3107&viewfull=1#post3107 :smith::hf::smith:

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
God I never would have let my dad play Pinball Arcade if I knew he was gonna spend his free time demolishing my scores.

Also capital F gently caress ToM's Digital Pinball. Always miss one gate.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Between my non stop playing of Pinball Arcade on the Vita, PS3, and on my Android Tab (Medieval Madness is amazingly good), I managed to leave the house long enough to go the the nickel arcade here in town to play the new ACDC and Tron Legacy pins. Not as wild and crazy as the early 90's Bally/Williams pins, but drat nice, solid tables.

I can't wait for more tables to be released for Pinball Arcade. It's single-handedly justifying my buying a Vita.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
oops, screwed up my PSN nick up there, it's actually Ars_Starhawk . Just in case anybody actually tried to add it, lol.

Dad Beer
Jun 11, 2007
I felt like, this guy's really hurting me. And it hurt.
Finally managed a decent score on Black Hole last night. My 4 million something was enough to get me to #26 on Xbox Live, which got my hopes up for a minute; then I saw that the top score is in the 44 million range. I felt like the 4 million took forever, that's just wild as poo poo.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Dad Beer posted:

Finally managed a decent score on Black Hole last night. My 4 million something was enough to get me to #26 on Xbox Live, which got my hopes up for a minute; then I saw that the top score is in the 44 million range. I felt like the 4 million took forever, that's just wild as poo poo.

I'm not saying I could get that score or not, but I would certainly tire of concentrating on a pinball game long before I reached it. They really need to add a tournament mode (one is promised in the XBLM description) and then wipe the leaderboards and have them be tourney mode only. I want to see who has the most skill, not the most Ritalin.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Yeah, who knows when they'll get around to fixing it. I went ahead and deleted my save file. Within about three plays I had unlocked all of the TotAN standard goals (and actually did the Wizard ones, but none of them counted because I did them in the same game where I unlocked the standard ones -- that's a bad holdover from Hall of Fame's system).

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Dad Beer posted:

Im so terrible at that table but I keep going back to it because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Any news on when new tables will be released for P.A. on any platform other than android?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Thanks to Pinball Arcade I'm now seriously considering building a visual pinball cabinet. drat you, Pinball Arcade. drat you.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
God dammit more bugs, this time on Ripley's. I don't know what causes it but sometimes when you earn a letter it just plain doesn't give it to you. It plays the animation and audio cue but just shows the letters you already had. I've gotten this both from completing continents and other rewards. And yes its not the RIPOFF spelling either.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dad Beer posted:

I cant even get above 300,000 on Black Hole. I just don't get it at all.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I've improved significantly at Arabian Nights. My current top score was a particularly good game from a few days ago, but I'm looking to get more consistent at that table and not rely so much on luck. I figured out a lot about ball control on that table today and side drains mostly aren't a problem now, even without the Shooting Star saves. I'm developing a pretty good gameplan for the table too. Broke 100 million 4 times today, so if I keep at it I should be able to set a pretty awesome score.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I cant even get above 300,000 on Black Hole. I just don't get it at all.

A few tips:
- The bottom playfield adds to your end of ball bonus, and is where most of your score will come from.
- Completing the BLACK or HOLE target banks in order double the points generated in the bottom playfield. Completing both banks gets you triple.
- The right orbit in the lower playfield can be shot up to 5 times per ball to increase the bonus multiplier to 5x. Try to get it to 5x every time.
- When you're in the lower playfield, keep completing the banks of drop targets to keep the gate in an "open" state. This way, if your ball drains, it'll return to the upper playfield instead of the right outlane.
- Multiball doesn't really help with scoring in my experience, so you don't need to go for it.
- Check the table instructions for how to earn extra balls.

But really, the most important thing is to learn to control and trap the ball and to aim your shots. Nudging is important on this table.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I played Rolling Stones today. It was weird playing a brand new table, everything was so smooth and responsive. The music was obviously great, but everything else seemed kind of barebones. Most of the props in the machine were just plastic cutouts and photos of the band. There's a cutout Mic Jagger that goes back in forth in the middle of the board that you're supposed to hit for multiball and that was about it for gimmicks. I wasn't too impressed, especially for 75 cents a play. Fortunately we went to another bar with Medieval Madness and Capt. Fantastic so it was still a good night for pinball.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, Rolling Stones and AC/DC seem really anemic compared to older pins. It's like the music is made the most important audio-visual element, to the detriment of other sound effects and lighting effects.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Are the table trials on Pinball Arcade supposed to be full-featured? I'm on an Android tablet and Black Hole has no lights on targets or rollovers. http://imgur.com/t8BTb.jpg

edit: the issue is fixed now, I reinstalled after seeing a fix mentioned on pinballarcadefans

Captain Cool fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 20, 2012

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Captain Cool posted:

Are the table trials on Pinball Arcade supposed to be full-featured? I'm on an Android tablet and Black Hole has no lights on targets or rollovers. http://imgur.com/t8BTb.jpg

there's an issue with blackhole's lights with the vita.. one won't ever blink out.

I have no idea if there's an issue on android.

As buggy as it can be, this is a drat fine pinball game. :)

Edit: but wow that version is hosed up. The vita just has one lane light issue.. I dunno wtf is going on there.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

are there any cheap, GOOD pinball machines out there? Or any companies where I can finance one?

Wait or better yet any peripheral controllers that simulate a pinball machine p good for xbox?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The only really cheap pinballs would be old stuff from the 70's, and it wouldn't be in very good condition either. About the cheapest you could find a modern table would be about $1500, and that would be for a less popular table in poor condition.

For pinball controllers, the only mass produced one is the Pinball Wizard. It only works on PC's though, and has been tailored for Visual Pinball. There's nothing really out there for consoles. Most pinball controllers for consoles out there are custom made.

I made mine out of a long box that sits across your lap. Buttons on the sides for flippers, and admin buttons on the front. To get it to work on the 360 though I had to take apart a 360 controller and solder on leads to all the button connection points. I mounted it inside the box as well so the right stick protrudes from the box for the plunger. Other people have actually built real plungers into their boxes and hooked that up so it works, but that sort of electrical work is beyond me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Zeether posted:

Hey, I like TX-Sector :mad:

I've never seen a Gottlieb table in real life besides Silver Slugger and Street Fighter II. The arcade dealer in the mall has a few pre-System 11 Williams tables set up, the only place I've seen them too. Florida sucks for pinball.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 16, 2012

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Zip posted:

As buggy as it can be, this is a drat fine pinball game. :)
It is fun to play around with but between the glitches like that and the terrible graphics (flippers clipping through ball, octogonal bumpers) it's hard for me to spend money on. Zen Pinball THD looks so pretty in comparison.

Guthix Curnir
Mar 21, 2011
Just found this thread, figured I could supply some interesting information.

I was at the Michigan Pinball Expo over the weekend. About 70% were classic machines, the remaining 30% were more modern ones. All of the machines were in really good shape, and about a third were for sale. The older ones were around $800-1000, while the newer ones were around $4000. The most interesting thing for sale, however, was a completely digital cabinet. The "table" was a 42" screen turned on it's side, and there were 60 some different tables loaded into the machine. All in all, it functioned well, but compared to all of the other, real machines that were there, it felt like the digital machine had no soul to it. There were no crazy bounces, or balls being stuck so that you had to jiggle the machine. Decided to load up Star Trek: The Next Generation, and ended up racking up 1 billion on the machine and got to put in initials.

The AC/DC machine was there, and was made out to be a big deal. There was a huge display with speakers all over blasting out whatever song you had the machine play, and it was about a 10 minute wait to play. Was an okay game, but I'll still be partial to Medieval Madness myself.

The other interesting machine that was on display was a 2 player Joust machine. The first time we walked by, it was being worked on, but I managed to swing back to it a couple hours later, and it was up, so me and a friend played a match. The match lasted 5 balls, and there were always at least two in play at all times. There were a pair of spinners separating the two mini-tables, and if you shot the ball through, it went onto the other player's table. If one player lost a ball though, it detracted from the total of both players. Once you lost all 5 balls, the game went into a 30 second, 4 ball frantic multi-ball where you were just trying to rack up enough score to beat your opponent in the last seconds.

All in all, it was a day very well spent. I was glad to see so many children out, playing on these machines, and seeming to have a really good time. I'll definitely have to try going again next year.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cool. I've always wanted to go to the Michigan Expo, but it's a little far for me. I may go down to the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show coming up in June though.

What was the build quality like on the digital pinball table? Good quality screens and cabinet and what not? That's one of the Virtuapins I may be buying in the future.

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

:w00t: finally beat virtual pinball in Theater of Magic last night.

Me too! It took about 10 tries total. Realizing that you can trap the ball helped a bit, but you don't really have time to be patient. (Or have time to contemplate the fact that you're playing a virtual version of a virtual game. "Wow! It's like I'm really playing Virtual Pinball!")

There's over 7400 leaderboard entries on Xbox. Is that good? It seems good for a niche product. I guess the important part is how many people stick around for DLC.

Guthix Curnir
Mar 21, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What was the build quality like on the digital pinball table? Good quality screens and cabinet and what not? That's one of the Virtuapins I may be buying in the future.

Yeah, it was one of the VirtuaPins. Screens were very high quality, as were the cabinets. They had two different models set up, and they were both around the $5,000 price point. Considering it was only a little over the cost of a normal modern machine, it probably wasn't bad for the price. However, ramps and other "3d" elements (like ramps and the like) displayed flat, which took some getting used to.

Another thing I hadn't mentioned, someone had brought their own custom built physical table in, and that thing was scary. The board was made out of plywood, so the ball was sliding all over a lot easier, and the bumpers were over-tensioned. Felt like the ball was going to crack through the plexiglass a couple of times.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Guthix Curnir posted:

Another thing I hadn't mentioned, someone had brought their own custom built physical table in, and that thing was scary. The board was made out of plywood, so the ball was sliding all over a lot easier, and the bumpers were over-tensioned. Felt like the ball was going to crack through the plexiglass a couple of times.

It wasn't Bill Paxton Pinball, was it?

Guthix Curnir
Mar 21, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It wasn't Bill Paxton Pinball, was it?

Wrong type of scary. They had thrown a Predator motherboard in there, and there were no decorations on the machine at all. Sharpie markers on the board to tell you what all of the lights were. It had a real "built in my garage" feel to it, which is cool if that's what they did, but the ball reactions in that machine were overly chaotic and violent.

Guthix Curnir fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 16, 2012

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011

Guthix Curnir posted:

Wrong type of scary. They had thrown a Predator motherboard in there, and there were no decorations on the machine at all. Sharpie markers on the board to tell you what all of the lights were. It had a real "built in my garage" feel to it, which is cool if that's what they did, but the ball reactions in that machine were overly chaotic and violent.

There is no Predator pinball table, it's a prototype in development. Check it out at http://www.skitbpinball.com

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

aga. posted:

According to http://pinformer.co.uk/ (the UK listing of pinball locations) you don't seem to have it too bad. Certainly better than Birmingham, where the the only pub with a pinball is apparently getting torn down soon leaving us with zero.

Jesus gently caress, there's only 1 that's publicly playable in Edinburgh, the other's in a student union :(

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I've never seen a Gottlieb table in real life besides Silver Slugger and Street Fighter II. The arcade dealer in the mall has a few pre-System 11 Williams tables set up, the only place I've seen them too. Florida sucks for pinball.
Me neither, but after playing TX-Sector in VP I would kill to play a real machine.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

beef express posted:

Jesus gently caress, there's only 1 that's publicly playable in Edinburgh, the other's in a student union :(

Jesus, you've got it lucky on the other side of the Forth. I had to go all the way to Arbroath :D

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I found a new place in town and played Stern's Rolling Stones and Big Buck Hunter.
For The Rolling Stones you get a 2d Mick Jagger cutout jiggling left and right across the playfield to hit. It was pretty loving stupid.
Can't say whether they're really any good because they both killed me pretty quick, but I appreciate the value of fake pinball a bit more now after throwing $2 away.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
What the hell is Frog Frenzy in Ripley's Believe It Or Not? Is it in the instructions anywhere or am I just missing it?

Also had a weird glitch last night where the back LED screen on Ripley's was all staticy. It went away when I restarted the game but it actually looked like a busted LED screen like you'd see in a real arcade. That's not something built into the game right?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
For anyone new to the thread thanks to Pinball Arcade, I just want to recommend this documentary: Tilt: The Battle To Save Pinball

It's about pinball history in general, as well as the Pinball 2000 platform that was mentioned on the previous page. Very, very interesting.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

techknight posted:

For anyone new to the thread thanks to Pinball Arcade, I just want to recommend this documentary: Tilt: The Battle To Save Pinball

It's about pinball history in general, as well as the Pinball 2000 platform that was mentioned on the previous page. Very, very interesting.

Just watching it now in my lunch hour. Its particularly great for me since I just found a Revenge from Mars machine at the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

What the hell is Frog Frenzy in Ripley's Believe It Or Not? Is it in the instructions anywhere or am I just missing it?

It's in the instructions, but basically you need to collect all six of the Super Jackpot values and then relight the SJ shot for a seventh. Instead of another SJ, making the shot this time will start Frog Frenzy, a timed mode where every switch is worth 25k. It's pretty loving difficult and was the very last goal I completed on the initial four tables by several days. I posted some tips on getting it started a few pages back.