Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

My roommate just got the Bally Flash Gordan table for his birthday (as a completely random surprise, he didn't ask for it or express interest in it). It's in pretty good condition, and the only thing that doesn't work is the coin mechanism. So, instead, we have to open the front and touch two wires together to add credits. I don't know if this is considered a "good" board or not, but I'm having a blast with it. Especially since it supports four players and has a few audio clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

WhiteHowler posted:

You probably will. I don't understand that table at all.

I did reclaim my top spot on Extreme. :toot:

:smith:

Can I be added to the op? Robot Cousin.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Best optional non-core pack table to buy for 200 points?

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Best optional non-core pack table to buy for 200 points?

Online it seems like every thinks Excalibur. Whatever you end up getting, I'll probably pick up too. I was eyeballing the other tables yesterday.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Mother fuckers be good at pinball

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Zero Karizma posted:

Online it seems like every thinks Excalibur. Whatever you end up getting, I'll probably pick up too. I was eyeballing the other tables yesterday.

Yeah, isn't Excalibur the only one made specifically for FX2? Or am I misinformed? I'll just get that one if so, because FX2 tables are much better than the FX ones.

Can I be added to the OP's list? Gamertag: Kakihara Anjo

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

FishBulb posted:

Mother fuckers be good at pinball

I was runnin' poo poo before I started to slow down and actually try to learn each tables rules. Now I'm panicking like an rear end and losing left and right. Still love it though.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
The Earth Defense one is for FX2 as well, haven't bought it yet but the trial seems pretty decent.

Can I be in the OP too? DesdinovaBOC

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.

snackmar posted:

Okay how do you guys have hundreds of millions on Rocky & Bullwinkle? :O I haven't even broken 10M on that yet!

If you look at the general leaderboard, there are people with billions of points. I really like to know how they get it.

Captain Keekles
Jan 28, 2007

Stomper Go Dumb
Ive been trying to find a 360 copy of Williams Pinball Hall of Fame for under $20 and amazon warehouse has some used copies in like new condition for $18, which is great for a prime subscriber.

Not being a pinball historian, anyone want to direct me toward some of the better tables in that collection as a place to start when that arrives?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Captain Keekles posted:

Ive been trying to find a 360 copy of Williams Pinball Hall of Fame for under $20 and amazon warehouse has some used copies in like new condition for $18, which is great for a prime subscriber.

Not being a pinball historian, anyone want to direct me toward some of the better tables in that collection as a place to start when that arrives?
Black Knight is one of the best non-licensed tables ever created.

I'm also partial to Whirlwind, Medieval Madness, and Space Shuttle (which a good player can keep going on for hours). Pinbot and Funhouse are also considered classics, although neither of them are among my favorites.

Most of the tables are well worth your time, though some of the classic pre-dot matrix machines have not aged well. Sorceror has a couple of soul-crushingly difficult goals, and Jive Time is extremely basic and just isn't much fun to play.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Pin●Bot is a loving drain king. The outlanes emit pheromones that the ball finds irresistible. I wish it wasn't so because I love the aesthetics of it, but it's just not the most fun to play for me.

I found nearly all of the tables in Williams to be pretty fun, except for Sorcerer and Jive Time, which WhiteHowler just summed up perfectly. Taxi has twin ramps, which is always a fun feature. I have the Wii version of the collection and want the PS3 one for the two extra tables and extra graphical shine.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Did I just suck at it or are the goals in Taxi pretty drat hard?

YO! Noid
Sep 12, 2008
GT is Monroe Kelly. I will try to add some people later and buy a new table.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

elf help book posted:

Did I just suck at it or are the goals in Taxi pretty drat hard?

Some of them are, that drat bonus hole is a bit hard to shoot, and Pin●Bot is kind of an out-of-the-way passenger to pick up.

Actually come to think of it I have a hard time picking up Gorby as well. Still, there are enough ways to score that the main goal of the table seeming a bit tough doesn't detract from it for me.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I really like Tales of Arabian Nights on Williams collection for some reason even though the loving Harem goal is broken like a two bit whore

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FishBulb posted:

I really like Tales of Arabian Nights on Williams collection for some reason even though the loving Harem goal is broken like a two bit whore

I thought that was only me. I swear I kept going back to the instructions to double check if I was doing anything wrong for activating it. I could clean up the rest of the table and couldn't activate the harem multiball to save my life.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Random Stranger posted:

I thought that was only me. I swear I kept going back to the instructions to double check if I was doing anything wrong for activating it. I could clean up the rest of the table and couldn't activate the harem multiball to save my life.
Nope, there's a bug in the Hall of Fame version where the left-side Tiger light never goes out once lit. On the physical machine, Tiger stays lit for a very limited amount of time and then resets.

The only practical way to get the HAREM achievement is with the drop-in from the jet bumpers, but I've never even gotten close.

Edit: I downloaded the Earth Defense table in FX2 today, and from the first couple of plays I think it may be my favorite Zen Studios table so far.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BORK! BORK! posted:

That table certainly does not live up to it's name :colbert:

Why must the worst table have the best music? I tend to prefer simpler designs, I think I'd be enamored with that board if it were stretched vertically by, like, 30 or 40% and if it didn't have a skateboard theme.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
MY AGENTS SCORE!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!

This aggression will not stand. Well, it probably will for a couple days as I've gotten into Fallout: New Vegas, but AFTER THAT!

I still have Earth Defense I think though. It's my last one remaining :(

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I'm enjoying the Haunted Mansion table a lot. The Street Fighter one doesn't really do it for me :(

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
I think I just *got* the Pasha table on FX2. Got 71,957,500 on it just now, it will not be long before I get number one! Out of all the tables it seems Pasha rewards just keeping the ball inbound the most, and it has extremely easy ramp combos, six ramps in a row is 1 million points and it's not hard to pull off, if anyone has any tips on how to hit the palace reliably that might make a difference too, because I rarely got it in there, and when I did I usually got SAVE THE PRINCESS which I don't understand for the life of me. Other than that I'm loving the new tables, Pinball is so much god drat fun, sadly nowhere around me has any tables except bars and I'm only 20. CURSE YOU US LAW!

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

How the gently caress do I choose a tale from the god drat book of tales???????

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

ForbiddenWonder posted:

How the gently caress do I choose a tale from the god drat book of tales???????

You gotta hit the ball into the market/oasis place using the upper right flipper, or get it into the palace. I am awful at getting it in the palace so I always just go for the market/oasis.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Sizone posted:

Why must the worst table have the best music? I tend to prefer simpler designs, I think I'd be enamored with that board if it were stretched vertically by, like, 30 or 40% and if it didn't have a skateboard theme.

The music from the pirate table on FX1/2 (buccaneer I think) get me pumped like a motherfucker every goddamn time but hooooly christ does that table suck :( I have tried so hard to like it but Excalibur just has so much more going on.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

BORK! BORK! posted:

The music from the pirate table on FX1/2 (buccaneer I think) get me pumped like a motherfucker every goddamn time but hooooly christ does that table suck :( I have tried so hard to like it but Excalibur just has so much more going on.

Every table has 3 achievements, an easy, a medium, and a hard one. I think it says a lot that Buccaneer's hard achievement is to finish any goal whatsoever.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Captain Keekles posted:

Most of them are pretty drat good but Medieval Madness is fantastic. And for some reason I had a huge fondness for Taxi! as well. Maybe it was just the sound effects but I loved that drat table.

After that I'd have to say Funhouse and Gorgar. GORGAR!!

e: and dammit do none of you have Zen Pinball on the PS3? i don't have Pinball FX but i've got everything released for Zen

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
I've been a sucker for pinball since my early teens. I learned how to play on the old KISS table, and worked my way up to playing competitively on Addams Family, Twilight Zone, and a few others. You name a pinball table or sim from the past 40 years and I've probably played it. Software from the bad (like Super Pinball on SNES) to the fabulous (Pro Pinball's entire series), to the quirky (Pinball Quest on the NES), I've played 'em all. Pinball FX2 is pretty high on the list, but it's got a few issues that bug me. Mostly physics related.

That said, if anyone wants to add me, my gamertag is VTBear. You gotta identify yourself from the forums though. Also, I'm not terribly social, so please don't be offended if I'm not very chatty.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ZionestLord posted:

if anyone has any tips on how to hit the palace reliably that might make a difference too,

Again, hold the right flipper up while you make the shot from the left side 2nd tier flipper (preferably with some inertia going from having done the spinner orbit). The 2nd tier right side flipper is basically blocking the lane. Note, holding the right flipper up also lets you activate the frenzy mode for the Bucanneer table, seems to be a trick that Zen likes to put in their tables.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Sizone posted:

Again, hold the right flipper up while you make the shot from the left side 2nd tier flipper (preferably with some inertia going from having done the spinner orbit). The 2nd tier right side flipper is basically blocking the lane. Note, holding the right flipper up also lets you activate the frenzy mode for the Bucanneer table, seems to be a trick that Zen likes to put in their tables.

THANKS!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

:siren: If you're having trouble getting Harem Multiball on the Arabian Nights table from PHOF:Williams, activate "Sinbad and the Rocs" mode. That opens an easy path to the pop bumpers. Keep the mode active for as long as you can and keep firing the ball into the pop bumpers; it bounces back into the Harem Sneak-in really easily when this mode is in play. :siren:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

How the hell do I get that right side ramp in Excalibur??

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Max22 posted:

:siren: If you're having trouble getting Harem Multiball on the Arabian Nights table from PHOF:Williams, activate "Sinbad and the Rocs" mode. That opens an easy path to the pop bumpers. Keep the mode active for as long as you can and keep firing the ball into the pop bumpers; it bounces back into the Harem Sneak-in really easily when this mode is in play. :siren:

Yeah I've read that online a bunch and I still can't get it. Its ridiculous.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Sizone posted:

Thanks to this, I now have a high score of 93 Mil on Pasha. Wooo

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Tasteful Bulge posted:

I've been a sucker for pinball since my early teens. I learned how to play on the old KISS table, and worked my way up to playing competitively on Addams Family, Twilight Zone, and a few others. You name a pinball table or sim from the past 40 years and I've probably played it. Software from the bad (like Super Pinball on SNES) to the fabulous (Pro Pinball's entire series), to the quirky (Pinball Quest on the NES), I've played 'em all. Pinball FX2 is pretty high on the list, but it's got a few issues that bug me. Mostly physics related.

That said, if anyone wants to add me, my gamertag is VTBear. You gotta identify yourself from the forums though. Also, I'm not terribly social, so please don't be offended if I'm not very chatty.

I want to hear some stories about competitive pinball, because that sounds awesome. I'm serious.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
I was doing my thing, being bad at this game on Secrets of the Deep table, when I somehow unlocked multiball. After frantically doing my best to keep both balls in, I noticed I had quickly jumped from 2 million to 14 million points, which was way beyond my previous best on that table.

Anyway, the point is that I'm having fun with this game. I especially like when I figure out a goal on the table and can kind of do it.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

FishBulb posted:

Yeah I've read that online a bunch and I still can't get it. Its ridiculous.

Yeah, I had to just sit there and play that table for about 5 hours straight before I lucked out and finished that goal. It's completely absurd.

After you get that, though, the wizard goals are ridiculously easy and you can probably get all of them in a single game.

That goal wasn't as bad as the "spell SORCERER 5 times in a single ball" wizard goal on Sorcerer, though. I never ended up getting that one.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
Number 4 in Pasha now. :master:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Thanks to this thread, I decided to pop Williams Collection back in my Wii and try to get that final regular challenge done in Whirlwind. The challenge I was stuck on was the one where you have to hit the button near the top of the field about 10 times to make the red and yellow bumpers blink and once more to get 100,000 points. It took nearly an hour, but I finally did it on my last ball (even though that doesn't matter much since the bumpers reset after you lose a ball). :dance:

Also, I demoed a couple tables in Pinball FX 2 the other day and while it looks like a lot of fun, I think the balls move a little too fast. I think it's because I'm used to Williams Collection, but it feels a lot more hectic than it should be (which I don't think I like, but I'll try it again tomorrow for a second opinion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Obeast posted:

Also, I demoed a couple tables in Pinball FX 2 the other day and while it looks like a lot of fun, I think the balls move a little too fast. I think it's because I'm used to Williams Collection, but it feels a lot more hectic than it should be (which I don't think I like, but I'll try it again tomorrow for a second opinion).

Try the Rocky and Bullwinkle table. It's not -that- great and it's still kind of fast, but it's simple and uncluttered. That and Agents are pretty much the chillax, could-actually-be-made-in-hardware, normal tables. All of the newer tables are insane cluster fucks of gimmicks and combo shots, which is kind of the fun of them.

Whoever was asking how to get millions and millions of points on the R&B table, BTW. The secret is left flipper to right ramp, right flipper to left wrong-way Peachfuzz ship ramp. Repeat until you get bored and don't go for any other shots. You'll end up getting something insane like 3 mil per ramp after a couple of goes and the process will keep spelling "CAKE" keeping your ball save active in case you do gently caress up.