Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

snackmar posted:

Let's get some screenshots of us in the OP for posterity!

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)
Wow this game rules! the first time the siege sequence started on Excalibur I got a chub :awesome:. I've only got a couple of tables so far and I suck, but anyone feel free to add me, I need some scores to try and beat.

gt: carlt0nbankz99

WTFPWND
Mar 16, 2004

You may have won this time, but next time you shall be WTFPWND!
I've been doing some research into pricing to build my own virtual pinball cabinet. Just the cabinet hardware on it's own is roughly $600. Add in another $600 or so for a reasonable PC. Then comes the huge expense of one or two monitors depending on preference (30" and 17") and a large widescreen TV (46") for another $1100-$1200 total for all 3 new. All totaled, it would probably run in the neighborhood of $2500+ to build one of these.

I'm thinking if I just build the cabinet and have to stare at it empty every day, I'll cave and buy the displays.

Oh also, please add me to the list for Pinball FX2. Gamertag is Jokey SoL

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

WTFPWND posted:

I've been doing some research into pricing to build my own virtual pinball cabinet. Just the cabinet hardware on it's own is roughly $600. Add in another $600 or so for a reasonable PC. Then comes the huge expense of one or two monitors depending on preference (30" and 17") and a large widescreen TV (46") for another $1100-$1200 total for all 3 new. All totaled, it would probably run in the neighborhood of $2500+ to build one of these.

I'm thinking if I just build the cabinet and have to stare at it empty every day, I'll cave and buy the displays.

It's would certainly be expensive, but you get value for your money. You can play a close approximation of tons of pinball tables, whereas buying a typical well-restored regular pinball machine will usually set you back at least $3000.

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005

WTFPWND posted:

For $2500 you could easily find a good machine in good condition, and then sell it on/trade it for another when you get bored of it. I've played the UltraPin quite a few times now, and it just isn't the same as a real pin - and the UltraPin is about as good as a virtual pinball is going to get. The vast majority of skill in pinball comes from moving/shoving the machine and this is never truly recreated or captured in virtual games - UltraPin does a good job at attempting to simulate this aspect of play but it never feels as tactile as literally shoving a box with a real ball in it, as you might imagine.

I've only had a brief look, but here are the machines I can find advertised for sale in good playable/aesthetic condition over the past few days for $2500 and under. To find out what the consensus on any machine is, look them up on either the Internet Pinball Database, or on The Pinside Top 100.

No Good Gofers - $2300 - Designed by Pat Lawlor (the man behind the Twilight Zone), has a fun comedy theme and fast gameplay.

World Cup Soccer 94 - $1800 - Admittedly a lame theme, but a fantastic machine to play.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - $2000 - One of the few wide-body machines produced, great flow and deep rule set. Highly rated amongst players.

Funhouse - $2000 - Another Pat Lawolor game, pre-DMD era but has a talking head on the playfield. Very highly rated game, challenging but alot of fun.

Demolition Man - $1150 - Again, not a great theme, but a good machine.

Fish Tales - $1675 - Strange theme for a pinball machine but a great player with some really good ramps.

White Water - $2300 - One of my all time favourite pins. Great theme, great toys, great ramps. Hard to complete but impossible not to love.

And if your budget were to stretch to $3000 then it opens up even more possibilities, including some of the A-list machines. If you do decide to go with the Virtual Pin I wish you luck with the build and hope you enjoy it, but why not consider giving the real thing a go?

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

JustLikeMe posted:

The vast majority of skill in pinball comes from moving/shoving the machine and this is never truly recreated or captured in virtual games - UltraPin does a good job at attempting to simulate this aspect of play but it never feels as tactile as literally shoving a box with a real ball in it, as you might imagine.

I rarely ever bump/nudge since while I was learning to play, most places had the tilt sensor set so high that it was always just a last resort gamble to keep the ball from hitting the outlane. Later I saw people nudging/bumping strategically during tourney play, but I've never really relied on it myself.

WTFPWND
Mar 16, 2004

You may have won this time, but next time you shall be WTFPWND!

JustLikeMe posted:

For $2500 you could easily find a good machine in good condition...

The reason for creating a digital is mainly because I enjoy the build. I've already built a really nice MAME cabinet, which already has flipper buttons on the side of the control panel. And I find myself playing pinball on it about as much as I play the arcade games on it.

Having the ability to play a bunch of different tables is a big draw for me, and far outweighs the negative of the lack of realism in bumping/nudging (and even though it's not the same, I do intend do install merc switches for some e-nudging)

My only real hurdle right now is the price tag of 3 displays. I know if I still have the itch after tax time, I'll probably push forward (and may even have built an empty cabinet by then)

JustLikeMe
Jan 9, 2005

WTFPWND posted:

The reason for creating a digital is mainly because I enjoy the build. I've already built a really nice MAME cabinet, which already has flipper buttons on the side of the control panel. And I find myself playing pinball on it about as much as I play the arcade games on it.

Having the ability to play a bunch of different tables is a big draw for me, and far outweighs the negative of the lack of realism in bumping/nudging (and even though it's not the same, I do intend do install merc switches for some e-nudging)

My only real hurdle right now is the price tag of 3 displays. I know if I still have the itch after tax time, I'll probably push forward (and may even have built an empty cabinet by then)

I can see where you're coming from, and I have to admit, it does sound like a nice project - best of luck and I hope you do manage to get it built! I've messed around a fair bit with PinMAME myself when unable to find a physical example of any particular table and there are some extremely well done recreations out there. If you do go ahead, please consider making a thread to detail your progress - I'm not sure about everyone else but I'd be extremely interested in seeing it take shape.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tasteful Bulge posted:

I rarely ever bump/nudge since while I was learning to play, most places had the tilt sensor set so high that it was always just a last resort gamble to keep the ball from hitting the outlane. Later I saw people nudging/bumping strategically during tourney play, but I've never really relied on it myself.

Urgh, I hate this sort of thing. I'm not sure I've ever even played a pinball machine that didn't have the tilt set so high that pulling back the plunger too hard would sometimes set it off.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm sure if I played a pinball video game that didn't include nudging that I wouldn't even notice.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
gently caress you Excalibur, just.. gently caress you. Why can't I consistently hit anything I'm aiming for on that table? That and Rome, they seem to be the tables where shots really depend on the momentum of the ball coming down the lane which is totally antithetical to my usual flipper-trapping-calmly-line-this-poo poo-up style of gameplay. What pisses me off the most is that it's such a gorgeous table, I want to keep playing it. It looks so good and, for the most part, I can figure out what sets up what. If it was just devoid of virtue, like Extreme or Bucaneer I could just write it off as a bad table and not play it. Goons, when I die of some complication related to high blood pressure, blame Excalibur (and Rome) and collect a tidy sum on my behalf from Zen.

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002
I can't get a handle on Excalibur either and it makes me a little crazy because I still enjoy playing it even though it constantly frustrates me. It has so many little things that throw me off when I start to feel like I'm doing well.

Are you a knight? Or merely a squire?

gently caress YOU MERLIN

Captain Keekles
Jan 28, 2007

Stomper Go Dumb
I hate where the catapult is on Excalibur because I sometimes miss a ball that I just failed to pick up visually, making me want to pull out hair.

Dr. Disco Quest
Mar 8, 2009
Ok, I'm bad at pinball. Hopelessly bad. This is a life-long thing that I wish to remedy with Pinball FX2 to some degree, but I think I'm missing out on some useful pinball knowledge to help me rack up those massive massive scores.

I'm focusing on Speed Machine as I've been playing that the longest and can get the ball to go where I want on it and understand the layout the best of all of them, but I just can't get a score higher than 20 Million. I'm consistently keeping airbags up and running, I can get multiball going quite often, but try as I might I just can't break more than 20M!

I've looked at a couple youtube video of the table and it's giving out consistently higher scores/jackpots than it's giving me, so I assume I'm missing out on some sort of score-multiplier... thing. For example, the close-call mission will get me around 2 million if I'm lucky, but I've seen it tick up to 20 million+ in other videos. I've had the bonus multipler up to x10, but it seems to make very little difference to these things!

Am I missing out on ramp combos or some sort of specific order of shots that's really obvious to everyone else that knows the ins-and-outs of pinball mechanics?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Dr. Disco Quest posted:

Ok, I'm bad at pinball. Hopelessly bad. This is a life-long thing that I wish to remedy with Pinball FX2 to some degree, but I think I'm missing out on some useful pinball knowledge to help me rack up those massive massive scores.

I'm focusing on Speed Machine as I've been playing that the longest and can get the ball to go where I want on it and understand the layout the best of all of them, but I just can't get a score higher than 20 Million. I'm consistently keeping airbags up and running, I can get multiball going quite often, but try as I might I just can't break more than 20M!

I've looked at a couple youtube video of the table and it's giving out consistently higher scores/jackpots than it's giving me, so I assume I'm missing out on some sort of score-multiplier... thing. For example, the close-call mission will get me around 2 million if I'm lucky, but I've seen it tick up to 20 million+ in other videos. I've had the bonus multipler up to x10, but it seems to make very little difference to these things!

Am I missing out on ramp combos or some sort of specific order of shots that's really obvious to everyone else that knows the ins-and-outs of pinball mechanics?

Speed Machine is one of the tables that was in pinball FX 1, so my guess is that you're watching videos of the table from that game, and that they changed the scoring around for pinball FX2.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but Pro Pinball: Timeshock! for the PC is pretty good and it's on GOG for a few bucks.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/pro_pinball_timeshock

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Where is the love for one of the best pinball machines ever made?
Indiana Jone: The Pinball Adventure!

Only other table that comes close is Medieval Madness!

Dr. Disco Quest
Mar 8, 2009

ponzicar posted:

Speed Machine is one of the tables that was in pinball FX 1, so my guess is that you're watching videos of the table from that game, and that they changed the scoring around for pinball FX2.

Well hey, I just tried Speed Machine back on Pinball FX and I got about 10x my average score. I guess they changed the scoring a bit!

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

Sizone posted:

gently caress you Excalibur, just.. gently caress you. Why can't I consistently hit anything I'm aiming for on that table? That and Rome, they seem to be the tables where shots really depend on the momentum of the ball coming down the lane which is totally antithetical to my usual flipper-trapping-calmly-line-this-poo poo-up style of gameplay. What pisses me off the most is that it's such a gorgeous table, I want to keep playing it. It looks so good and, for the most part, I can figure out what sets up what. If it was just devoid of virtue, like Extreme or Bucaneer I could just write it off as a bad table and not play it. Goons, when I die of some complication related to high blood pressure, blame Excalibur (and Rome) and collect a tidy sum on my behalf from Zen.

I'm glad it's not just me! I ragequit Excalibur so much it's not even funny. I utter the oddest combination of profanities imaginable while playing it, and RARELY will I keep it together long enough to finish out a game. And it's all for the reasons you describe. One thing that really gets me with the layout and design of these tables is that you really shouldn't be hearing "thunk thunk" so much as your ball bounces off the edge of targets and ramps.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone know if this is a 1080p or 720p game? There sure are a lot of jaggies, particularly on the wire guideways. If it's not 1080p with decent AA, I don't know why it couldn't be. It's not like the visuals are technically complex, and it's only rendering a single pinball machine....

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Captain Corduroy posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but Pro Pinball: Timeshock! for the PC is pretty good and it's on GOG for a few bucks.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/pro_pinball_timeshock

Oh man, this was my all-time favorite for so long. It was also the first virtual table I'd ever played with that had a fully functioning operator's menu, and I spent a lot of time messing with the table angle and overall condition to see how it affected the gameplay.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I'm very jealous of the goon who owns a Medieval Madness table. Tina Fey did the voices and it is a great machine.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Ned posted:

I'm very jealous of the goon who owns a Medieval Madness table. Tina Fey did the voices and it is a great machine.

Wait... what?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

So uh whoops, it turns out my Friends List was full. If you tried to add me before at jackspades22 and it didn't work, it should go through if you try again :blush:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I love pinball and hate that there is absolutely gently caress-all in Boston except for the occasional poorly-maintained table at a crummy bar. I don't know where the ones at Good Time Emporium in Somerville went when that place closed, but I hope whoever now has the Twilight Zone, Addams Family and Theater of Magic tables is taking better care of them.

Thanks to this thread I picked up Pinball FX2 and ordered the Williams Collection from Amazon. Haven't had much time to play with FX yet but I did grab the Rocky & Bullwinkle table and had fun with it, even though it's not a recreation of the original.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Just found out the Mars and Paranormal tables are coming out as DLC for the 360, as well as a Marvel table. No dates as of yet though.

Ref: http://195.56.170.66/forum/showthread.php?s=ee73dc0b877fa59fcf6c6e93363db1ce&t=2495

(about post 25)

Anyone got any tips for BioLab or Secrets of the Deep? Those are the 2 tables keeping my wizard score down (as well as SF2 but I don't play that much)

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Desdinova posted:

Just found out the Mars and Paranormal tables are coming out as DLC for the 360, as well as a Marvel table. No dates as of yet though.

NICE!

quote:

Anyone got any tips for BioLab or Secrets of the Deep? Those are the 2 tables keeping my wizard score down (as well as SF2 but I don't play that much)

Aren't you one of those top 5 goons that are just shredding the rest of us in the scores? We want tips from YOU.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.
My unbeatable pro strategy for Biolab:
Master the Super Skillshot
Spam the mission hole

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
My strategy for Earth Defense (yes, I know no one expressly asked for it) has just been DATA BOWL. Over, and over, and over again.

Though I'm quickly discovering other things to do, especially since someone took away my top spot with by like a hundred million points :argh:

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

Desdinova posted:

Ref: http://195.56.170.66/forum/showthread.php?s=ee73dc0b877fa59fcf6c6e93363db1ce&t=2495

(about post 25)

I don't think you're on my friends list to know what your score is at on Secrets of the Deep and I know there's some people here who have my score beat by miles, but I have third place on my friends list so hopefully I can be helpful.

The approach I take is to prioritize shooting the mine ramp. It's, I think, five mine ramp shots to get a two ball multiball going. When you have a multiball going all of the ramps (I think?) provide jackpots, so if you're good with multiball (or lucky with spasming and keeping the balls alive like me) you can get a good payoff from just one mine multiball alone. I'm pretty sure I managed 10 million or close with one extremely lucky mine multiball.

At some point you're likely to have raised the second part of the sunken treasure (the upper targets in the middle), and once you have then the mine ramp also puts your ball into that top area to work on raising the sunken treasure further. It also lets you shoot for shark attack targets in that upper left portion.

Any time the ball rests on the left flipper I shoot for the right ramp to move the submarine along and store balls for the abyss multiball. This has the annoying side effect of hull breaches if you only partially hit the ramp. When this happens I usually just trap the ball until the breach is over since you can't actively work on much else aside from plugging the breach and I suck at hitting any of them except the middle one. They're worth 600k total if you can plug both though.

Along the same lines, I also usually end up holding the ball for a long time after a Kraken attack. The attack comes after hitting the Kraken ramp too many times, though I'm not sure of the exact number it takes. When the attack first starts though, I do try to shoot the target ramps and lanes that get lit since they are worth 100k each (I think) but I'm not terribly accurate so I don't think I've ever hit all of them in the time it allots. So afterwards I end up cradling a ball for nearly a minute during the really long hull breach that follows.

So with the mine multiballs being worth good scoring by themselves, the shark attack multiball that you can work towards while shooting the mine ramp, the treasure raising you can work towards while shooting the mine ramp, and the eventual abyss multiball you can hit when you have the ball on the left flipper instead of the right, you can end up with a lot of jackpot hits from the various multiball modes.

I'm still not even sure what lights the gutter defenses, but working on the above seems to get them lit, so that works out too I guess.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Zero Karizma posted:

Aren't you one of those top 5 goons that are just shredding the rest of us in the scores? We want tips from YOU.

If it makes you feel better I am only top on 3 tables. Not many tips to give sadly except OCD restarting like some other goon mentioned earlier, and concentrate on ball saves when possible :(

Svampson posted:

Master the Super Skillshot

I've only managed to hit that twice. Could you let us in on whereabouts on the bar we need to be aiming?

Stealthed Zombie posted:

My strategy for Earth Defense (yes, I know no one expressly asked for it) has just been DATA BOWL. Over, and over, and over again.

Though I'm quickly discovering other things to do, especially since someone took away my top spot with by like a hundred million points

I like that one too, but there must be some secret we're missing - same with any table where the high scores are in the 1xx million range :(

quietmonkey posted:

:words:
Thanks!
Which one is the mine ramp? I already try for the submarine, mainly for the multiball but also each ball locked lights the ball save.

Oh, hitting the target through the periscope nets half a mil each time, and also lights the ball save.

The gutter defenses are lit by hitting the area to the left of the ship wreck, it says something like "Charging Right Magma Save" when you are doing it right.

Send me a request - GT is DesdinovaBOC

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

Desdinova posted:

Thanks!
Which one is the mine ramp? I already try for the submarine, mainly for the multiball but also each ball locked lights the ball save.

Oh, hitting the target through the periscope nets half a mil each time, and also lights the ball save.

The gutter defenses are lit by hitting the area to the left of the ship wreck, it says something like "Charging Right Magma Save" when you are doing it right.

Send me a request - GT is DesdinovaBOC
Sent a request as Holstin.

Ok yeah I forgot about the magma save charging. I remember thinking that was likely the defense but was never sure. Add that as another benefit of hitting the mine ramp though. (provided that the first level of the treasure/shipwreck is raised)

The mine ramp is the left-most ramp - the one that is set back slightly and next to the ramp connected to the Kraken.

Another note about the mine multiball that I forgot - it seems that hitting two ramps lights the ball save for a time which helps extend your multiball time/chances. The shots might have to be within a certain time after each other though.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Awesome - I know what I'll be doing most of the night!

Also, got this tip off the Zen forums:

quote:

you can get an extra ball by completeing the three stages of the sunken ship without hitting an empty hole on the last stage. This will light the extra ball in the mission hole.

Haven't been able to try it yet though.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Desdinova posted:

Awesome - I know what I'll be doing most of the night!

Also, got this tip off the Zen forums:

Haven't been able to try it yet though.
Those upper flippers are pretty hard to target anything with.

I'm starting to get Secrets of the Deep, although the crane is still annoying as hell. Can you only press a flipper button once while the crane is active? It seems like I can hold down one flipper, and when I let go or hit another flipper, I lose control of the crane. This seems like a really poorly designed element on an otherwise good table.

Rome, on the other hand... gently caress that table. The angles are terrible, the skill shot is retardedly difficult, and I still haven't figured out how to win (or even make progress in) the "Justice" mini-game. The conquer goals also tend to be harder than they need to be, with tons of (timed) difficult ramp shots to make progress.

Actually, that seems to be a running theme in the FX2 tables. I think they went a little overboard with the goal complexity/difficulty. Most of the Williams Collection tables are a lot less frustrating to try to complete goals on, while not being any "easier" (other than Space Shuttle, of course).

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.

Desdinova posted:

I've only managed to hit that twice. Could you let us in on whereabouts on the bar we need to be aiming?
Around here, give or take a pixel

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

How are the Pinball Heroes games on PSN? They have two sets of tables for $10 each which doesn't sound too bad. I was going to download one over lunch but that's when my company's public wifi decided to take a poo poo. :argh:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
A lot of the Secrets of the Deep bonus modes require you to hit one ramp, then another, then another to complete. The sequence of the ramps seems to be randomized, like the holy grail quest in Excalibur. Protip: One of the ramps you will need to hit in Secrets of the Deep will invariably be one of the magnasave orbits (going through the orbit overhand charges right, underhand charges left). Look for the yellow guides by the orbits to be lit up, I failed the Kraken thing numerous times until I figured that out and now complete it at least 1/2 the time. Videomode challenges also agrigate, 500k for the first, 2 mil for the second so spamming narrow trench is also a good way to score, though I still can't figure out how to activate them. But, yeah, go for the mine multiball mostly.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
just broke 300m on speed machine 2 out of my last 5 rounds. noice.

E: It only saves high scores if you are logged in online? :negative:

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 10, 2010

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'd chime in on Secrets of the Deep, but you guys pretty much have it covered. Do lots of Mine Chaos and get the extra ball off the Shipwreck when you can. One other piece of advice I can give is that it's pretty easy to trap the ball on either side on this table, and there's no need to ever bounce pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Can anyone comment on how well The Gottlieb Collection runs on a 360? Apparently it is on the backward-compatibility list but "with issues".