Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Acolyte! posted:

Did you go on Sunday? On Friday and Saturday they had Ripley's/Harley Davidson, but on Saturday Ripley's was having technical issues. The guy at the booth also said he expects the new lighting engine on PC in "2-3 months," so who knows considering Farsight Time.

I was there all weekend. And yes, it was Ripley's, not Twilight Zone. I only played the HD one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
I was kind of bummed that the PBA version of Harley Davidson doesn't vibrate the controller as much as the real table vibrates (or at all).

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Getting real sick of this poo poo, Farsight

If it isn't clear, camera got stuck on on the plunger during multiball. Again.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Werthog 95 posted:

Getting real sick of this poo poo, Farsight

If it isn't clear, camera got stuck on on the plunger during multiball. Again.

I've gotten that a few times in the last couple of days. I think it was on Twilight Zone, too. One partial workaround: change your camera view so that you're looking at the table, albeit from way back at a terrible angle.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

prefect posted:

I've gotten that a few times in the last couple of days. I think it was on Twilight Zone, too. One partial workaround: change your camera view so that you're looking at the table, albeit from way back at a terrible angle.

That's how I've had to deal with it too.

I've also had a screwup when finishing Lost in the Zone mode: A ball will get pinched under the right rocket flipper when the table goes dead after LitZ mode ends. Once the game starts up again, you'll have to deal with two balls and if any of them drains you're out a ball. I thought the actual table did a ball search after LitZ if all the balls weren't found...

I also hate the "Call Operator" function. All it does is add another ball to the playfield, I think even if you cancel the call.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Clouseau posted:

The Hobbit whitewood looks okay, but we'll see how they do. The main JJP game I'm really looking forward to is the unlicensed Pat Lawlor standard body game. By then they should have all of their manufacturing and design ducks in a row.

I'm really looking forward to this too. Lawlor is one of the only guys left who I think uses pop bumpers correctly in games. By correctly I mean they actually play a role in where the ball goes and are not just there for show.

And I'm also glad they moved to standard body. A widebody here and there is nice but I don't think they are worth the extra cost and effort.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Squashy Nipples posted:

The Classic Arcade room at PAX East had three EM machines:

I feel like such a nerd pointing this out, but the two with digital displays are not EM machines.

How does Flash play? I like the artwork, and considered picking one up, but the layout by Steve Ritchie looks pretty similar to his Rollergames, which I have.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

roffels posted:

How does Flash play? I like the artwork, and considered picking one up, but the layout by Steve Ritchie looks pretty similar to his Rollergames, which I have.

Flash is great. I played one in decent shape a few years back and loved it. It's fairly simple but you see Ritchies' design touches start to come in. If you put it alongside the other games from the period, it's pretty easy to see why it was such a huge hit at the time.

I had the chance to play some old Atari pinball games at MGC, and they had Ritchie's first game "Airborne Avenger". It was a kludgy mess, but pretty much all Atari games were.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Niwrad posted:

I'm really looking forward to this too. Lawlor is one of the only guys left who I think uses pop bumpers correctly in games. By correctly I mean they actually play a role in where the ball goes and are not just there for show.

And I'm also glad they moved to standard body. A widebody here and there is nice but I don't think they are worth the extra cost and effort.

I appreciate how you avoid them with a good shot.

The pops work in other designers' games in slowing down multiball, but yeah, they don't serve too big of a purpose.

Here's the Elektra I just picked up:

It's odd playing a game without pop bumpers.

I need to work on it some, and I'm a bit lost on where to start. If I lock a ball, and drain my in play ball, the kickout doesn't register the drained ball. I imagine I just need to play with the switch in the trough some. It's missing a tilt bob as well, but the most offensive part is that it fills my room up with 30-odd years of smoke smell. I'm not working on it until I get that taken care of.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

roffels posted:

Flash is really basic. It's challenging only because your progress is reset after every ball. It also probably doesn't help that the one I played is really busted and worn out. Another drawback is the music, literally a droning tone that gets higher and higher for every shot you make.
And from the half dozen games of Rollergames I've played, I don't think they're all that similar.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Clouseau posted:

Flash is great. I played one in decent shape a few years back and loved it. It's fairly simple but you see Ritchies' design touches start to come in. If you put it alongside the other games from the period, it's pretty easy to see why it was such a huge hit at the time.

I had the chance to play some old Atari pinball games at MGC, and they had Ritchie's first game "Airborne Avenger". It was a kludgy mess, but pretty much all Atari games were.

I'll have to hunt one down. I resisted getting a pinball machine for so long because I was afraid I'd end up buying more. I was right.

There was so much at MGC that I wanted to try, but I hit burnout.

Speaking of Ritchie, I'm the one playing. He's player one, I'm player 2. It's good to know I can beat him on a game neither of us have ever played before.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ritchie is supposedly bad at pinball. In one of the Stern produced videos he talks about it and says that's why him and Lyman make such a great team. He can take the perspective of a casual player and Lyman as an elite player.

That Elektra looks really cool. If you get a chance to take more pics of it, I'd love to see some up-close stuff. Never played on in person before. There was a TNT Amusement video I saw awhile back that had the game done up in LEDs and it looks incredible for a 30+ year old game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eWuAteETzQ

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Anyone else not able to upload scores on the Steam version of TPA? I know the PS4 leaderboard is being hosed around with right now, but I wasn't sure if the same was going on with PC.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Acolyte! posted:

I was kind of bummed that the PBA version of Harley Davidson doesn't vibrate the controller as much as the real table vibrates (or at all).

Yeah, it vibrated so much that the Harley model shook violently. The mechanism that raised and lowered it seemed to have a lot of lateral slop in it.

roffels posted:

I feel like such a nerd pointing this out, but the two with digital displays are not EM machines.

Um, where else but this thread would you point that out? Thanks for the correction.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Niwrad posted:

Ritchie is supposedly bad at pinball. In one of the Stern produced videos he talks about it and says that's why him and Lyman make such a great team. He can take the perspective of a casual player and Lyman as an elite player.

That Elektra looks really cool. If you get a chance to take more pics of it, I'd love to see some up-close stuff. Never played on in person before. There was a TNT Amusement video I saw awhile back that had the game done up in LEDs and it looks incredible for a 30+ year old game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eWuAteETzQ

Let me feel good about my Ritchie victory! I've been playing for a year, he's had a lifetime of experience.

The TNT Amusement videos are what sold me on Elektra. Mine has some busted/missing plastics, and the bottom most playfield looks like it was entirely repainted by hand on bare wood, and the top playfield is worn to the wood places, so it's not in the best of shape. I was hoping there would be some playfield scans out there so I could decal some of this and cover it up with mylar, but I haven't had much luck. Also hope to make some plastic pieces from scratch so it doesn't look so bare. On the plus side, it's functional and cost me $600, which is perfectly reasonable to me.

I'm hoping to install LEDs later this week. I'll get some photos up when I'm done.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
drat. Hope I'm not the only one that has no willpower when it comes to roulette on the Who Dunnit table.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

drat. Hope I'm not the only one that has no willpower when it comes to roulette on the Who Dunnit table.

I once lost 2 billion because I didn't know it defaulted to "yes" if you don't choose for like five seconds, and I wanted to rest my hands.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I'll bet on roulette every time. You win way more often than you lose, and it always adds to your bonus multiplier.

E: I'm very jealous of the goon who owns one. Really enjoying it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

I'll bet on roulette every time. You win way more often than you lose, and it always adds to your bonus multiplier.

I would love to see the code. I won the first 4-5 times I played, but then went through a 4-5 game losing streak as well. Wondering if it's 50-50 or what. Come to think of it - I wonder if there's an equivalent to the 0/00 space where neither red or black wins.

The bonus multiplier is nice when you lose, but doesn't quite make up for the beating I took on my last game. What would have been about 5.5 billion if I said no each time ended up being 3.1 billion instead. Liking the table so far though. Odd that I don't think I've ever seen one in real life. I know it's not as common as others of the time period, but the mid 90's was when I played more pinball than any other time of my life.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Elektra is really just Xenon turned on it's ear with some Black Hole additives sprinkled within. Gottlieb made many revolutionary designs like the 2/3 tiered playfields but Bally/Williams would duplicate and perfect them in every conceivable way.

Also to the pin collector asking about Flash? Excellent table and well worth an inclusion to a collection. Just remember, Black Knight 2000 was slated to be a sequel to Flash. Once you see all of the lightning elements on a BK2000 pin it's hard to ever unsee it otherwise.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It was supposed to be a sequel to flash, yet the Layout is really similar to Black Knight as well? When during design did the theme get changed?

Also, the Pacific Pinball Museum had a Flash, but I didn't give a play, kind of regret that now, if its an interesting table. The theme just didn't grab me. :shobon:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

I would love to see the code. I won the first 4-5 times I played, but then went through a 4-5 game losing streak as well. Wondering if it's 50-50 or what. Come to think of it - I wonder if there's an equivalent to the 0/00 space where neither red or black wins.

It doesn't say in the manual and it's not adjustable whatever it is.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It was supposed to be a sequel to flash, yet the Layout is really similar to Black Knight as well? When during design did the theme get changed?

Also, the Pacific Pinball Museum had a Flash, but I didn't give a play, kind of regret that now, if its an interesting table. The theme just didn't grab me. :shobon:
The only noticeable similarity between Black Knight and BK2000 is the two tiered design and the subsequent artwork.

It wasn't until someone posted the prototype playfield (in this very thread! with definite Flash intended notations) for BK2000 that it hit me. I've played both Flash and BK2000 in the wild many times. I seem to recall a very good scoring run on Flash back in the day. Flash was by no means a revolutionary table but it did contain many figments of Steve Ritchie's patented "flow".

Both the original Flash and BK2000 feature prominent lightning themed playfield lights. The biggest thing that stands out is the "Lightning Wheel" on BK2000 which when you think about it has gently caress-all to do with the original table and fills no niche in BK2000 either. Lightning Wheel for the sake of a lightning wheel as a robotic knight laughs at you? Ummm okay, I guess :geno:

Spelling B-L-A-C-K replaced spelling F-L-A-S-H which was a goal on the original Flash table. The right flipper shooting into an orbit to the top in Flash became the loops in BK2000. Really, the only feature of Black Knight that carried over into BK2000 was the Magna-Save. That feature didn't exist yet in Flash's days.

Go onto IPDB and compare the playfields. You'll see much more similarity and symmetry between Flash and BK2000 then you will with BK and BK2K. Once you see it you cannot unsee it.

Black Knight 2000 is Flash's bastard child! MWAHAHAHAHA!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Robnoxious posted:

The only noticeable similarity between Black Knight and BK2000 is the two tiered design and the subsequent artwork.

It wasn't until someone posted the prototype playfield (in this very thread! with definite Flash intended notations) for BK2000 that it hit me. I've played both Flash and BK2000 in the wild many times. I seem to recall a very good scoring run on Flash back in the day. Flash was by no means a revolutionary table but it did contain many figments of Steve Ritchie's patented "flow".

Both the original Flash and BK2000 feature prominent lightning themed playfield lights. The biggest thing that stands out is the "Lightning Wheel" on BK2000 which when you think about it has gently caress-all to do with the original table and fills no niche in BK2000 either. Lightning Wheel for the sake of a lightning wheel as a robotic knight laughs at you? Ummm okay, I guess :geno:

Spelling B-L-A-C-K replaced spelling F-L-A-S-H which was a goal on the original Flash table. The right flipper shooting into an orbit to the top in Flash became the loops in BK2000. Really, the only feature of Black Knight that carried over into BK2000 was the Magna-Save. That feature didn't exist yet in Flash's days.

Go onto IPDB and compare the playfields. You'll see much more similarity and symmetry between Flash and BK2000 then you will with BK and BK2K. Once you see it you cannot unsee it.

Black Knight 2000 is Flash's bastard child! MWAHAHAHAHA!

NO WAY

GIVE ME YOUR MONEY

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I impress all the ladies by serenading them the BK2K song. :c00l:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

DevCore posted:

I impress all the ladies by serenading them the BK2K song. :c00l:
Nothing more romantic than getting a woman into the sack and encouraging sexy time with...

YOU CAN DO IT YOU CAN DO IT

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
What's a good price for a fully functioning/restored Hollywood Heat?

I need it. I need it bad.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

It doesn't say in the manual and it's not adjustable whatever it is.

This'd be easy to figure out if anyone (else) cares enough. I'm going to start tracking the colour and win/lose, and will post when (if) i get to 100 regardless of the results.

If anyone else wants to do the same to get more data / fact-check me that'd be awesome. My gut feeling based only on a week of semi-serious play says about 70-80% win.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

What's a good price for a fully functioning/restored Hollywood Heat?

I'd say $500-$800 for something that works.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Niwrad posted:

Yeah. I'd agree with this.

Eighties Premiers outside of the particularly popular ones generally run around those prices - the only issue is their general availability since most didn't have particularly huge runs and many of them just have been junked in the last couple decades.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

This'd be easy to figure out if anyone (else) cares enough. I'm going to start tracking the colour and win/lose, and will post when (if) i get to 100 regardless of the results.

If anyone else wants to do the same to get more data / fact-check me that'd be awesome. My gut feeling based only on a week of semi-serious play says about 70-80% win.

I'll start tracking. What the heck.

Also wimped out and declined a 2+ billion bet when I was up around 9. I guess I have limits afterall.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Niwrad posted:

I never find tables at the prices people quote:(
I only find 60s/70s EMs for that much.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You have to be patient and/or willing to travel but they are out there. If you're not near Chicago, the NE US, or California it's probably pretty difficult though. If you really want a specific game then you're probably going to have to pay a lot more or wait a long time due to the low volume on these things.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I was surprised, there were a ton of games at pretty reasonable prices at MGC, especially on the second day when the owners really wanted to make sure they weren't leaving with them. A friend of mine was able to talk a guy into cutting his price by about $300.

If you wait and just keep an eye on those classifieds, pinside, craigslist, and elsewhere, you can find a reasonable deal.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also don't go by their list price. Most start high and negotiate down (especially if it's Ebay where they are compensating for huge fees). So if someone has a machine listed for $1200, there's a chance you can snag it for under $1000. Especially if you show up with cash. I got my first machine for 25% less than what he had it listed at.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Same Great Paste posted:

Dont be too jealous, I am yet to actually put it back together :(

Primarily because I was hoping I could snag a center ramp along the way but alas it is not to be at this time.

Its odd you know because AC/DC is considered by so many to be a fantastic table and I certainly enjoy it but for some
reason I enjoy my WhoDunnit and my Flintstones more.

I am even thinking I may trade the AC/DC away, I just cant seem to get into it. A TZ or TOM on the other hand would
be just awesome.

*edit*

In the US where I assume most of you reside, whats the going rate for a fairly decent nick Gorgar?

insidius fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 16, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

If you play Who Dunnit in Tournament Mode you always win every other bet, starting with the first bet always being a win. :ssh: In non-tournament mode it's random though.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

insidius posted:

In the US where I assume most of you reside, whats the going rate for a fairly decent nick Gorgar?

$800 or so is what we sell ours for. We ended up selling one at auction for like $530, but it had a big wear spot near the left slingshot.

You will pay more for a real nice, LEDed up gem than a beater, of course. For some reason Gorgars around here all have pretty nice backglasses, and all the Firepowers have horrible ones.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've been browsing IPDB for the first time and thought I'd post some tables I found interesting.

Card Whiz (Gottlieb, 1976)

My Big Shot addiction has me wishing they'd add a bunch more EM tables to Pinball Arcade, and this might be the one I want to play most of all. It's a bit more complex than Big Shot, and there's something so satisfying about neat rows of drop targets.

Fathom (Bally, 1980)

Okay, this actually seems like it might be a pretty boring table, but look at that art! It's the prettiest table I've ever seen except for Centaur, maybe. Also, the working title for the table (rejected by Bally management) was "Deep Threat." Real classy, guys.

Hit the Japs (Victory Games, 1942)

Annnnd here's this WW2-era company who released a whole line of anti-Japanese themed conversion kits. This particular one is for a Gottlieb machine called Gold Star, but they also made Knock Out the Japs, Sink the Japs, Slap the Japs, and Smack the Japs for other machines.

Pinball (Stern, 1977)

This was Stern's first table. I'm not sure if the name is quaint or pretentious. Like, the self-titled album of pinball tables.

Orbitor 1 (Stern, 1982)

:stare: Yes, that is a textured playfield. Reviews seem to be evenly split between "THIS IS AWESOME" and "it plays like poo poo," and all I know is I have never wanted to play a pinball machine more in my life. Even if it totally sucks, I don't think I'd be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Orbitor 1 (Stern, 1982)

:stare: Yes, that is a textured playfield. Reviews seem to be evenly split between "THIS IS AWESOME" and "it plays like poo poo," and all I know is I have never wanted to play a pinball machine more in my life. Even if it totally sucks, I don't think I'd be disappointed.

Played one in Seattle in December. I was drunk. It was disconcerting. Or discombobulating. Or both. (And not that fun overall.)

Collateral Damage posted:

If you play Who Dunnit in Tournament Mode you always win every other bet, starting with the first bet always being a win. :ssh: In non-tournament mode it's random though.

Just played for 90 minutes or so. Really liking the table. Keeping a little sticky note regarding roulette results. Evidence points to random as far as I can tell, but small sample size and all that.

Speaking of which... I have no idea if it's a decent price or not. $800 less than the lowest of the three on Ebay right now.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tad/4351365570.html

roffels posted:

Eh. I don't have direct experience with them, but one of the guys I traded pins with told me they have a habit of removing the coin doors from their tables so you don't put them on route. That seems kind of shady to me. You could probably talk them down on price, it's been listed on Craigslist for a few months now. And I wouldn't base prices on Ebay. For reference, I paid $600 for my Elektra, and the lowest on Ebay is $2000. That's the norm for ebay, it seems.

Figured as much about Ebay. And good to know about the seller. I'm not in the market at all right now but can't help but looking at ads for machines all the time. I guess in my head I assume all 90's era Williams tables cost way more than $2k.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 17, 2014