Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's devloped by Farsight and published by "Alliance Digital Media" which just has this site.

This was what I was concerned about:

quote:

Retail Disc Version (PS4) – The PS4 version of The Pinball Arcade has been released on disc in the North American region and will be released in early 2014 in the European region. The disc version currently features 22 tables which includes the four core tables plus all the tables from Season One. FarSight plans to release a patch for the disc based version of The Pinball Arcade in 2014 which will allow for purchase of add-on content and should contain bug fixes and the addition of a few requested options.

...which makes it sound like the PS4 Bluray version is a separate unique version, compared to the PS4 download version.

I might be able to get it for $28, which is why I'm asking.

----

While searching for this info, Farsight said on The Pinball Arcade Facebook page that there will be a 50% off sale on Season 1 pass on PSN in North America this Tuesday, and apparently the base tables will be free!? :eek: I hope they meant the PS4 tables. That would be $15 if it was.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I think the problem is

Yechezkel posted:

It's devloped by Farsight

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tony Phillips posted:

Just finished off the wizard goals tonight - final and toughest (in my opinion anyway) being the drop target bonus. Seemed that starting dine time during a multiball would help, but I kept accidentally collecting the Dine Time jackpot. Ended up completing the goal with a single ball instead. Back down to needing 2 wizard goals - may do some big dumb effort post about the hardest ones at some point even if I know I'm the only one that gives a crap about them.

I did not need to hear that. I got the drop-target bonus by accident while I was still working on the standard goals, and now that I've finished the standards I can't get it again. :doom:

Tony Phillips posted:

Lastly - I assume I'm not the only one to notice that the physics when you send the ball into the cup seem a bit inconsistent? I've hit that ramp as hard as you can only to have the ball fall out at 750k. More often than not, it gets to 1M. When it manages the final two spins and gets to 2.5M, the drat ball seems to pick up speed. At least it sure seems like it to me.

This also seems to be what's happening to me. Although I haven't had one quite as long-lasting as yours.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

prefect posted:

I did not need to hear that. I got the drop-target bonus by accident while I was still working on the standard goals, and now that I've finished the standards I can't get it again. :doom:

I wouldn't say it was a terribly hard wizard goal - just the hardest for the table. I honestly didn't spend that much time specifically trying for it. Just seemed a pain as I would often accidentally collect the jackpot by hitting the cellar hole while frantically slapping the ball around, or I'd take my time but be unable to hit the left targets on purpose. When I finally got it, I had accidentally hit two of the left targets immediately after the dine time started and just decided to go for it. I guess just wait until it serves it up on a platter (HA HA HA DINER HUMOR) and then nab it.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
http://www.twitch.tv/papatvpinball

The PAPA Pinball World Championships are going on right now. They're playing the Wizard of Oz table. Really cool to see it in action.

E: As soon as I link it they switch over to TZ. :v:

apophenium fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 17, 2014

breaks
May 12, 2001

Looks like Austin hero/villain COL's ticket hung in there to make the A finals as #24, and I think two other Austin guys made finals in B division. This is why it is hard to get high scores at Pinballz. :argh:

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
That Johnny Mnemonic table looks evil.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

JumpinJackFlash posted:

That Johnny Mnemonic table looks evil.

That was a fun set of tables for the tournament. I was surprised how cool Alien Star looked to play, despite its simple rules. Watching those streams makes me wish there was more pinball in my area. At least the Southern Fried Gameroom Expo did well enough to return next year, so I have that to look forward to.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

apophenium posted:

That was a fun set of tables for the tournament. I was surprised how cool Alien Star looked to play, despite its simple rules. Watching those streams makes me wish there was more pinball in my area. At least the Southern Fried Gameroom Expo did well enough to return next year, so I have that to look forward to.

Check out the http://www.ifpapinball.com/calendar/ website to see if there's tournaments in your area. I attended one a month ago and it was a super chill event in a dude's house and I got to play an afternoon of pinball for a fairly reasonable price. Then I found out there's a tournament next week that's a 5 minute drive from my house and I'm pretty hype about it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Check out the http://www.ifpapinball.com/calendar/ website to see if there's tournaments in your area. I attended one a month ago and it was a super chill event in a dude's house and I got to play an afternoon of pinball for a fairly reasonable price. Then I found out there's a tournament next week that's a 5 minute drive from my house and I'm pretty hype about it.

http://www.freeplayflorida.com/

Is near me and I really want to go this year. If I have my virtual cab done by then I may even consider bringing it.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Where's the best place to go for pinball in Chicago? I'm visiting for the week.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I'd recommend Logan Arcade. They've got the largest collection and the best maintenance. They also have the arcade cabinet Killer Queen which is nuts.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Clouseau posted:

I'd recommend Logan Arcade. They've got the largest collection and the best maintenance. They also have the arcade cabinet Killer Queen which is nuts.

Is that the crazy 10 player thing? I saw a video of that and it looks incredible.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Lone Goat posted:

Is that the crazy 10 player thing? I saw a video of that and it looks incredible.

Yeah. 5v5 Joust style multiplayer arcade game. It is fun as hell and people have been going crazy over it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mattfl posted:

http://www.freeplayflorida.com/

Is near me and I really want to go this year. If I have my virtual cab done by then I may even consider bringing it.

I went last year with my dad when it was just pinball, it was great. There were some real rarities, I had never seen an Orbitor 1 in real life and someone brought a truckload of 70s EMs along with that homemade Minecraft arcade cabinet. It looks like they're going to be a lot bigger this year.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 18, 2014

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Pinball is no longer illegal in Oakland, CA! And RadioShack is holding a tournament on an Iron Man machine to celebrate.

In other news, apparently pinball was until recently illegal in Oakland, CA.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Any word on the DX11 lighting for the PC version of Pinball Arcade?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

There goes the neighborhood :bahgawd:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
You guys were right about the scoring in Bride of Pin-bot. I got 2.15 billion points the other day, but I think I'm really only proud of the .15 part. (The game lasted a long time, and I was pretty lucky in avoiding the straight-for-the-outlane bounces.)

Unrelated bitching:
Last night, I immediately went for the super jackpot in Attack From Mars, because that's what always stops me from ruling the universe. I got it! And when my last ball drained, I was still trying to get Total Annihilation. (Which normally happens without even trying.) :cripes:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like Pinball Arcade added Fire TV support to the existing app

http://www.amazon.com/FarSight-Studios-Pinball-Arcade/dp/B0084HDG8Y

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 21, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If any of you have Pinball Arcade on the Playstation, the table pack with Theatre Of Magic, Ripleys Believe It Or Not! and Black Hole is :siren:FREE:siren: right now for PS3, PS4, and Vita.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The free pack is only for the North American region. Sorry Europe.

Direct links on PSN webstore:
PS4 version
PS3 version / another version if first version doesn't work
Vita version

Farsight also said this

quote:

Today we are proud to announce that we are running the Summer Sale for mobile devices and Steam until September 2nd!

50% off - Season One
50% off - Season One Pro

Android:
Get Ripley's Believe it or not!, Black Hole and Theatre of Magic for only 99¢

iOS:
Get Ripley's Believe it or not!, Black Hole and Theatre of Magic for FREE!

As of now, the iOS pack of those tables is still priced.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Pretty cool, except I've piecemealed out Season One and now I only have two packs left to buy :doh:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Looks like the general consensus on the Pinball Arcade forums is that we're getting Bram Stoker's Dracula for the next table.

This is the clue for the next table. Apparently, they found:

quote:

Physician with a mission refers to Val Helsing's mission to kill Dracula.

La Paloma castle is the name of Bella Legosi's former estate in california, which is an indirect reference to Dracula. The Complete song lyric is "i'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree" from Misty by Johnny Mathis, a direct reference to Mist Multiball.

Bram Stoker's Dracula confirmed!!

I've never played Dracula, but I've heard great things about it.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Great fun to play a real one. If you like TPA tables like Fish Tales, or T2, or other games that have one really difficult main task that you want to hammer on all day for monster scores, you'll surely like Dracula.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dracula is supposedly a difficult table in real life- what this means for the TPA version, who knows.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Thanks for pointing out that season one was on sale over on steam. I decided to dive in and grab the regular pack despite owning most of the tables already on the Vita version. Now I can truly appreciate how good Twilight Zone looks!

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Tempted to pick up Season 1 for my android tablet, any reason not to? I already have it for Steam, but having it on the go sounds good.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
You can try out the tables for free, so I would do that before buying anything to make sure everything runs fine. I liked playing the trial versions on my TF700, but not "buy the tables again" liked it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

I've never played Dracula, but I've heard great things about it.
A buddy and I have been assembling a small pin arcade in the back room of our friends bar. There is room for 6 machines and we have 4 in there already, one of which is Dracula. I can say it is the single most challenging table I've ever played, but also very rewarding. We play with the outlanes wide open and lightning flippers, so it really requires a ton of ball control. I've watched people play who don't know how to pass, slap save or drop catch and they just end up getting really frustrated. When you miss your shot there is probably a 50% chance of draining. The rewarding part is the audio, DMD animations and super deep ruleset. You can stack all three multiball modes building up to 600 million + shots, and the ramps feel incredible when you hit them. Extra balls are frequent, multiball comes often and easily and we leave the match set pretty high to compensate for the brutality of the game. This way even if you have a poo poo game, as long as you make a few good shots you feel like you got your $.50 worth.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Dracula is tough IRL. It's a super tight and quick table, but it's really only got...3 shots you need to master. Other than that the ruleset is pretty simple. It's all about stacking multiball for ridiculously high points.

Just don't watch the PAPA tutorial, you'll feel like a chump every time you play it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DevCore posted:

Just don't watch the PAPA tutorial, you'll feel like a chump every time you play it.

I don't need their help to feel like a chump. :smuggo:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Yechezkel posted:

The free pack is only for the North American region. Sorry Europe.

Direct links on PSN webstore:
PS4 version
PS3 version / another version if first version doesn't work
Vita version

Farsight also said this

As of now, the iOS pack of those tables is still priced.

As of this morning, the iOS pack of the tables is now free

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

If you

(a) Own an XBONE, and
(b) like playing virtual pinball, and
(c) enjoy the Pinball FX series, and
(d) want a free copy of The Walking Dead for Pinball FX2 right now (aka before its actually released tomorrow), then you should

(e) be the first person to PM me your interest.

If you feel that this massive and boundless generosity on my part needs to be reciprocated in praise and gifts, I will graciously accept a working&pristine gift copy of the Dungeons & Dragons pinball table. Mailing instructions to follow. I would actually buy one of these if it wasn't like four mortgage payments

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 25, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wait, there is a Dungeons and Dragons pinball machine? Let me guess, it is based on the terrible movie from the 90s.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, there is a Dungeons and Dragons pinball machine? Let me guess, it is based on the terrible movie from the 90s.

No, it's an '87 Bally release. It also has some pretty bitchin' music.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

That table is really tough for people new to pinball. I certainly struggled with it.
There's a shared in/out-lane that a player has to activate to not drain. The scoops are active only while you press them and for a maximum of maybe 2-3 seconds.

There's another fantasy style pinball table that has you fighting monsters in the top left playfield. I forget the name but I prefer that one over DnD anyday.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

DevCore posted:

There's another fantasy style pinball table that has you fighting monsters in the top left playfield. I forget the name but I prefer that one over DnD anyday.

Swords of Fury? That's another game with a really bitchin' soundtrack.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Yep, that table's one of my personal favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The multiball music is excellent.