Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Given how they've been good with having "sequel" tables so far, season 4 had better have both Jackbot and The Getaway :colbert:

(Jackbot is actually very strongly rumored, as in, someone says they saw a Jackbot table at Farsight.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
What were those other 2 tables from the poll where people chose Diner?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cyclone and Earthshaker, I think? I'm always up for more System 11s in TPA, so that'd be nice.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I have fond memories of the Hook table, although I couldn't tell you if it was actually any good. Would be cool to see.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I want The Shadow. It has some interesting gimmicks to it and while the movie was mediocre, I am a huge The Shadow fan.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Seems Dracula is still having some problems. I played about ten to twenty games (most of which ended quickly because holy gently caress these outlanes are killer), and had the machine lose track of my number of balls twice. Both of which involved Mist Multiball, so maybe that's where the problem is.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Wait, do they even have the Sega license and just haven't used it yet like with the Data East license? If not, what are their chances of getting it?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 14, 2014

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BiggerJ posted:

Wait, do they even have the Sega license and just haven't used it yet like with the Data East license? If not, what are their chances of getting it?

Stern owns the Sega licenses and as far as I know Fairsight's deal with Stern includes them. The problem, if I understood it properly last time, is the Sega machines used some wacky soundboards and ROM stuff that's much more resource intensive than most stuff in that era, so they can't get the emulation to run smoothly on mobile devices yet.

e: Also most of the solid state Segas are based on movies and tv show licenses so may or may not be commercially viable to release. I'd say Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Goldeneye are pretty definite no-nos due to the licensing costs, and a couple of the others may be too depending on how much the individual actors want. Apollo 13 probably won't happen because of how hard it is to cram 13 balls on the playfield and have it run smoothly.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 14, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Given how they've been good with having "sequel" tables so far, season 4 had better have both Jackbot and The Getaway :colbert:

(Jackbot is actually very strongly rumored, as in, someone says they saw a Jackbot table at Farsight.)

The Getaway is going to be tough because of the ZZ Top music. I'd love Jack*Bot though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Nurge posted:

Apollo 13 probably won't happen because of how hard it is to cram 13 balls on the playfield and have it run smoothly.

poo poo, Apollo 13 didn't even work in physical form in 13 ball multiball, let alone in a digital version.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I wonder how much the licensing would be for the Guns 'N Roses table. That's one of my favorites, but it will probably never happen considering the current state of the band. Oh well, a man can dream.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
What are their chances of getting the rights to use the songs in Party Zone? One of them is Pinball Wizard, so if they get that they may as well do The Who's Tommy as well.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

rockinricky posted:

I wonder how much the licensing would be for the Guns 'N Roses table. That's one of my favorites, but it will probably never happen considering the current state of the band. Oh well, a man can dream.

Cracks me up that the GnR table has a GnR song that's (to my knowledge anyway) exclusive to the pinball table.

Played the crap out of a GnR table 12 or so years ago at a little dive bar in Seattle's Wallingford neighborhood. It essentially had no tilt mechanism, and it was the kind of bar where they didn't really care if you were in the corner shoving the machine two feet sideways to avoid a drain. Good times.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
There's a timed tournament on PS3 / PSN featuring the three kickstarted tables. 20 minutes (per table, I presume) to score as high as you can. My TNG and T2 scores are pretty rear end but I managed to reach Lost in the Zone on TZ after months of not playing it. I remember when that seemed like it would never happen.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Discount Viscount posted:

There's a timed tournament on PS3 / PSN featuring the three kickstarted tables. 20 minutes (per table, I presume) to score as high as you can. My TNG and T2 scores are pretty rear end but I managed to reach Lost in the Zone on TZ after months of not playing it. I remember when that seemed like it would never happen.

Hilariously this is supposed to be a special thing only for backers of the kickstarter above a certain tier, but :farsight: so everyone can play it.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

Cracks me up that the GnR table has a GnR song that's (to my knowledge anyway) exclusive to the pinball table.

Played the crap out of a GnR table 12 or so years ago at a little dive bar in Seattle's Wallingford neighborhood. It essentially had no tilt mechanism, and it was the kind of bar where they didn't really care if you were in the corner shoving the machine two feet sideways to avoid a drain. Good times.

What song is it? I know the game has "Welcome To The Jungle", "My Michelle", and "Mr. Brownstone" in it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hilariously this is supposed to be a special thing only for backers of the kickstarter above a certain tier, but :farsight: so everyone can play it.

I really want TAF Kickstarter to succeed (and I'm sure it will), but seeing how the past things have gone is stopping me from giving money to it. When the game comes out I want to play it immediately, not wait several months after the release to get a code or something else messed up. I can only imagine how people who contributed to Kickstarters for the Xbox360 version of Pinball Arcade feel about this stuff.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Discount Viscount posted:

Yeah that seems to be a thing with pinball (or virtual pinball at least), where if you play a little bit of a table and then leave it for a while and come back, you'll play so much better than you ever did before. I hadn't booted up Pinball Arcade in the longest time and one day I was literally one piano shot away from Lost in the Zone (then I lost the ball, drat near threw my controller). Then later I tried challenge mode, the Bally Challenge, and I got the Grand Finale in Theatre of Magic and Join the Cirqus in Cirqus Voltaire, and hadn't gotten that far in either of those tables before. I don't even think I'd ever come close.

But I've had days since then where I still completely loving tank and just have the worst luck, getting nasty drains and making none of the shots I try to make.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nurge posted:

Stern owns the Sega licenses and as far as I know Fairsight's deal with Stern includes them. The problem, if I understood it properly last time, is the Sega machines used some wacky soundboards and ROM stuff that's much more resource intensive than most stuff in that era, so they can't get the emulation to run smoothly on mobile devices yet.

There's a reason why the emulation scene called it the Big poo poo Monster Turd 2000 and Sega tables didn't have sound for years. It's a customized TI DSP designed for pinball games by the same ex-Williams engineer who designed the QSound DSP for Capcom.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 14, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

rockinricky posted:

What song is it? I know the game has "Welcome To The Jungle", "My Michelle", and "Mr. Brownstone" in it.

"Ain't Goin Down." Something they apparently played live in the mid 80s and then recorded a demo of around the time the Use Your Illusion albums came out. Then re-recorded again for the pinball table. It's not exactly their best song.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
GNR is my favorite band of all time and that table looks fun as gently caress.

Where the hell am I going to get $6k

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Anybody else get this?

quote:

Hi!

I am currently casting a new series for MTV on alternative sports and we will be featuring pinball for at least one episode.

Josh Sharpe, President of the IFPA sent me your email because I am seeking players between the ages of 18-27 who love the game and love to compete.

We are seeking players who LOVE Pinball! Do you enter tournaments? Are you in a pinball league? Do you have an outgoing personality and not the type to shy away from a camera. How do you handle losing as well as winning?

Each episode will showcase a new sport, as well as several of its competitors as they prepare for competition. Our current window for competitions falls in Sept / Oct / Nov (dates subject to change) so time is of the essence!

If interested and would like to be considered, please contact us ASAP! Casting ends this week!

We put you on tape via Skype. It's an interview that last no more than 15 minutes. We talk about your love of the game, competition, etc. Skype interviews are for producer eyes only and are never shared with the public.

Show Flyer Attached!

Good Luck!

Casting Department.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Blast the 80s montage music, I'm ready to ROLL :clint:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

As far as we know, we will have have the regular ROM on the standard table and the special edition ROM on the gold table.

Why do they have to be so frustratingly cryptic about everything? Yeah, we're asking for $100 for the gold edition but can't tell you for sure what rom is going in the standard edition. Just say yes!

Argh, Farsight!

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Tato posted:

Why do they have to be so frustratingly cryptic about everything? Yeah, we're asking for $100 for the gold edition but can't tell you for sure what rom is going in the standard edition. Just say yes!

Argh, Farsight!

Learning from their past "exclusive kickstarter rewards", there's no way that the $100 tier will be the only way to get the gold edition.

e: my bad then.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 16, 2014

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

They've pretty much already said it will be sold later at a higher price. People were worried because the copy of the table Farsight owns is an original edition with the Gold romset, so they were wondering if the regular edition for TPA would use the original or gold rom (meaning you'd be paying $100 just to get a version with different colored rails). Farsight assuaged these fears by giving a wishy washy answer.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Why is Bram Stoker's Dracula taking so long to get to iOS checking every 20 minutes does not seem to be helping

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Funktor posted:

Why is Bram Stoker's Dracula taking so long to get to iOS checking every 20 minutes does not seem to be helping

Because there is a new version of the OS coming out soon and all the major apps want to be able to say they are IOS8 updated as soon as possible so Apple is back logged.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
And Dracula on iOS is out! For some reason it's not finding the update, but if you look up PA in the app store you will see the version is up. :stare:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I love all the music and sound effects in Dracula so much. The table itself feels kinda sparse in that Terminator 2 way that facilitates fast ball movement and requires quick reflexes. I've been playing for a bit and still get caught off guard by how fast the ball falls down the left wire ramp. It's also brutal in the Star Trek: TNG way where missing a ramp shot slightly means it's draining down the sides a lot of the time, but the simplicity of achieving the modes makes it seem a bit less frustrating to go for stuff. I'm very happy they added this table and didn't even need a Kickstarter for it.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah, Drac to me feels like a more forgiving T2, I like it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Also, as far as video modes go, this one isn't too bad. Literally just hit left or right, no lovely physics or slow crosshairs to deal with.

My wife had to ask "What in the world are you playing?" after all the Mina Harker moans from increasing the multiplier. Kind of a risque table, sad I've never seen one in the wild.

Tato fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 17, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tato posted:

Also, as far as video modes go, this one isn't too bad. Literally just hit left or right, no lovely physics or slow crosshairs to deal with.

My wife had to ask "What in the world are you playing?" after all the Mina Harker moans from increasing the multiplier. Kind of a risque table, sad I've never seen one in the wild.

True fact: one of the brides of Dracula in the movie is played by Monica Bellucci, who would later go on to appear in the Matrix sequels. :spergin:

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Bram Stoker's Dracula is the best movie.

I think we have two physical tables here in Austin. There's one at a decent pin-bar that's in ok shape, the last time I played the right flipper was stuck in a halfway up position.

But yeah, I love the sound in that table. The features are pretty sparse but it has a lot of potential for insane high scores once you chain things together. PAPA's tutorial on that table is insane.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

PAPA's doing another weekly stream right now, with Farsight in the chat.

http://www.twitch.tv/papatvpinball

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Second try on Bram Stoker's Dracula now that it's out on iOS. I haven't even reviewed the ruleset yet, although I suppose I did watch Bowen's PAPA tutorial video when it got posted a couple months back. Somehow managed to chain two or three multiballs off of the mist multiball and kept it going for a few solid minutes. Came away with 2.15 billion.

First impressions:
1) I am probably not going to match that score for a month.
2) I think I activated some bug on my third ball where I started a second mist multiball, one ball drained pretty quickly, and it activated the end of ball bonus and ate an extra ball I had in the can even though I still had the other ball cradled in my right flipper. Hopefully this will get fixed in the usual patch in a week or so.
3) This table is great fun! Once I get around to finding a real-life pin to purchase, this one will totally be on my wishlist.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I hosted a pinball art gallery a lil while ago and I was interviewed for Space Channel's talk show, InnerSpace. I figured y'all might be interested in checking it out! http://www.space.ca/InnerSpace?vid=427247

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I just had a game of Drac where I managed to get all three multiballs going. :stare: I don't think I've ever seen my score go up so fast in a pin, I was up a billion in about 30 seconds.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DevCore posted:

Bram Stoker's Dracula is the best movie.

I think we have two physical tables here in Austin. There's one at a decent pin-bar that's in ok shape, the last time I played the right flipper was stuck in a halfway up position.

But yeah, I love the sound in that table. The features are pretty sparse but it has a lot of potential for insane high scores once you chain things together. PAPA's tutorial on that table is insane.

I watched the PAPA tutorial a little while ago, and it was driving me nuts. When I'm playing, my primary goals are 1) stay alive as long as possible, and 2) complete whatever the table's main story is (destroy Mars, reach Wet Willie's, perform the Monster Bash, max out the Stiff-O-Meter, etc). I don't think he even tried for a coffin jackpot, and that's the whole point of the game, because you drive a stake through Dracula's heart. :argh:

(Also, holy cow that guy is good. He spent the whole time talking about what bad luck he was getting and what bad shots he was making, and he wound up with 4.5 billion points. :staredog: My playing has already improved just by seeing how it's done when it's done well.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktor
May 17, 2009

What's a good price for a Metallica?