Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

TPA is about digital recreations of physical tables.

The Ghostbusters table is a digital fabrication using Haunted House's playfield as a template. Also it's easier to to make :10bux: by making a F2P app with microtransactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Sizone posted:

It feels like a pinball machine that was only sold through dollar stores, called Hauntbanishers, made by Gotleib.

Yup.

Holy poo poo is this crummy. You'd think that even on their own custom game they'd manage not to have that ugly stretched alphanumeric display on the backbox, but there you go. Even with an established design, coming up with an entertaining ruleset for a game will take more than the month or however long they spend working on a TPA recreation. They also need to hire a for real art director at some point.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
How is the sound design on Ghostbusters? That usually makes or breaks tables for me and I wonder if they put any effort in it

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
It's the Ghostbusters theme + assorted quotes. Some other music cues are used in other modes (multiball and the lower playfield).

Y'know, with a wide open design like Haunted House, they could have just gone full video pinball and had a mode or two where you hit ghosts flying around. I'm not always a fan of that sort of thing, but it would have indicated effort.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Original_Z posted:

I like how if you tilt, the flippers don't stop but the ball just won't react to anything even if you hit it.

That's the same behavior as Haunted House. (Y'know, sometimes I have found myself liking Haunted House. It might depend on how well I do in the attic/basement areas.)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
One good thing they did to Ghostbusters though was removing that gap just behind the right flipper and putting the second right flipper up above it. I always hated how in Haunted House you basically couldn't cradle the ball on the right drain flipper at all. The game came out in the 80's but that design makes it feel like something out of the 40's. They just needed some tiny half-sized flippers to go along with it.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Naw, getting screwed by double flippers was an industry standard for machines with that design. Bally's Harlem Globetrotters from around then had the same. I'm pretty sure others with that design did too.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Being unable to cradle on the lower flipper of double-flipper games was very much by design.

Now, the ball getting stuck under the mini flipper on Road Show.. :argh:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
A place in town here has an Aladdin's Castle, which has immediately adjacent right flippers that if you open them at the wrong time the ball will bounce between and into the outlane. Really fun old machine but son of a bitch those loving right flippers.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

How come Black Hole doesn't have the same "feature"?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Forums Terrorist posted:

How come Black Hole doesn't have the same "feature"?

They decided to make Black Hole fun instead.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Man that Ghostbusters game was bad...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Hey it could've been worse: http://pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-5001-ghostbusters_

...but not by much :smith:

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?
I recently found a Star Trek Pro nearby and I've got two basic questions about it that I'm hoping someone can answer:

What's the easiest way to find out what software version the machine is running?

Is there any kind of shortcut to get out of 4 player mode rather than having to drain a dozen balls?

Additionally, the machine isn't level which causes the ball to frequently come to a gentle rest in a little notch just below the pop bumpers, under the right ramp. The tilt is pretty sensitive so I often have to let the ball just sit there while my mode runs out until the ball finder activates.
Any suggestions on avoiding that without adjusting the machine? Can I easily adjust the machine without breaking it or pissing off the establishment (that doesn't care about it being level)?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Sloane posted:

I recently found a Star Trek Pro nearby and I've got two basic questions about it that I'm hoping someone can answer:

What's the easiest way to find out what software version the machine is running?

Is there any kind of shortcut to get out of 4 player mode rather than having to drain a dozen balls?

Additionally, the machine isn't level which causes the ball to frequently come to a gentle rest in a little notch just below the pop bumpers, under the right ramp. The tilt is pretty sensitive so I often have to let the ball just sit there while my mode runs out until the ball finder activates.
Any suggestions on avoiding that without adjusting the machine? Can I easily adjust the machine without breaking it or pissing off the establishment (that doesn't care about it being level)?

The ball getting stuck in that spot is pretty common.

Getting out of 4 player mode is easy, put in a credit and hit the start button once you're on ball two.

I can't help you on the software version.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The only way I'm aware of for a player to find out the ROM version is to turn it off and on, but the establishment might not like that.

The easiest tells that this is the latest version is if the "Away Team" shot lights up if you make three mode shots while the mode is still going on. If the volume is up, if Karl Urban's voice is prominently included with pinball specific lines, then you have it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Randallteal posted:

I was never able to get anything going in Dr. Dude. Twilight Zone was rough for me too.

I've been trying to get my last wizard goal in Scared Stiff this week: hitting all the spider targets, to no luck so far. I have no problems hitting the spider ramp, but I haven't found a reliable way to hit the spider hole afterwards. So far I've been doing a mix of shooting around the back into the laboratory area with the right flipper, getting lucky head-on shots with the left flipper and flinging it up the middle and hoping it gets spit out to the right into the laboratory area. A couple times I've completed the main mode twice and gotten down to the last two targets, and I just keep missing on the wheel and getting nothing. :bang:

Keep going. It took me forever but eventually I did it. I would restart my game if I didn't have at least 4 lit by the time I reached Ball 2.

Notes: Use your "skill shots" immediately to hit the spider slot instead of going for the "actual" skill shot. Also while getting lucky through the middle does work, I found using the left flipper and timing it just right you can get it inside the spider hole.

The game I finally did it, I ended up with a score of almost 86 Million.

At least it's a much more forgiving machine than Dr. Dude. gently caress that game. Although it had a glitch where if you didn't pause it or anything the lit lights (to reach Dr. Dude) would stay on. Is that glitch for the game? Also very rarely the randomizer would go immediately to the Dr. Dude light.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Jesus, Elvira and the Party Monsters is a bitch on the physical table. It's really simple, but Jesus, I could only make the two ramp shots like once each.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Jesus, Elvira and the Party Monsters is a bitch on the physical table. It's really simple, but Jesus, I could only make the two ramp shots like once each.

Yeah, it's a real fast playfield with drain lanes that seem to beckon.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any update on Stern and Farsight working together on new titles? I could swear there were rumors in the past and vague hints it might happen someday.

I know there are some difficulties with systems but it seems like a match that needs to happen. It would help Stern sell new machines and give Farsight some modern tables people want to play.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Niwrad posted:

Is there any update on Stern and Farsight working together on new titles? I could swear there were rumors in the past and vague hints it might happen someday.

I know there are some difficulties with systems but it seems like a match that needs to happen. It would help Stern sell new machines and give Farsight some modern tables people want to play.

New titles as in SAM games?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

TheMcD posted:

New titles as in SAM games?

Yes. Farsight said a couple years ago that they were working with Stern to emulate SAM titles. Gary last year talked about possible simultaneous releases. It seems like there has been a lot of vague talk between the two sides and I'm just wondering if there is any progress being made.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Niwrad posted:

Yes. Farsight said a couple years ago that they were working with Stern to emulate SAM titles. Gary last year talked about possible simultaneous releases. It seems like there has been a lot of vague talk between the two sides and I'm just wondering if there is any progress being made.

Hm, interesting. Looks like Gary changed his mind from back in 2001, when he basically put a permanent kibosh on VPinMAME emulation of the SAM board (until they bring out a new board) because the open-source requirement of the MAME derivative made it impossible to implement the years of delay on emulating a ROM that were used back with the Whitestar system. Back then, Gary definitely didn't want simultaneous releases, believing they would hurt sales.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Every now and again Stern or Farsight will make a comment on this but never anything concrete. Hard to tell if it's FS dragging their feet because it probably wouldn't work mobile or Stern because they're still working on SAM2 or both because of licensing. Probably a combination of all of them.

Gary changed his tune after he saw Ripleys prices spike.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shockingly people who don't have access to pinball tables want to buy them after playing them in an iPhone app, not use an iPhone app as a replacement for one.

They should add a "buy this table" button that charges $4,500 to your iTunes account like the Apple Store app.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Shockingly people who don't have access to pinball tables want to buy them after playing them in an iPhone app, not use an iPhone app as a replacement for one.

They should add a "buy this table" button that charges $4,500 to your iTunes account like the Apple Store app.

For vintage tables like TAF that would be un ironically awesome.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I just saw this announced on Facebook, Party Zone is the next table for Pinball Arcade.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

rockinricky posted:

I just saw this announced on Facebook, Party Zone is the next table for Pinball Arcade.

Are we happy about this announcement?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Party Zone is an ok game. Like Dr Dude, it's entertaining but the rules are pretty shallow.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Just played a Black Knight 2000 machine and all I can say is :vince:

Never played the TPA version, eager to see how it compares. It's nuts how fast the lower playfield is.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Haha wow, I hooked my PS3 back up and bought the tournament tables for TPA for some light slapping around after over a year of not playing on that platform and holy poo poo is it different from PC. Going to landscape mode and the flipper delay after Steam really put it into perspective how much better the PC version is. I have mad respect for anyone putting up serious scores on the PS3. I mean part of it is not being used to that timing, but the difference in how controllable things are is insane.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Speaking of fast the Phantom update on iOS plays much faster, which is more accurate at least to the one real Phantom pin to which I have access. It really feels like double speed but the table can play that fast.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I think the best pinball game was Kirby's Pinball for O.G. game boy. Three count 'em THREE unique stages... bonus screens that challenge but aren't automatic exponential merry-go-rounds... whoever made that game knew how to have fun and how to translate it to the portable platform. Good show old chap, good show. Honorable mention goes to NES Pinball played by Pro Wrestling Starman.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Malcolm posted:

I think the best pinball game was Kirby's Pinball for O.G. game boy. Three count 'em THREE unique stages... bonus screens that challenge but aren't automatic exponential merry-go-rounds... whoever made that game knew how to have fun and how to translate it to the portable platform. Good show old chap, good show. Honorable mention goes to NES Pinball played by Pro Wrestling Starman.

If we're talking oldschool console pinball, Sonic Spinball for the Genesis gets my vote, even though I'm pretty sure that's just nostalgia talking. I have no idea how it holds up today but twenty years ago it was the poo poo.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I still have High Speed and Pinbot cartridges for NES, I'll have to hook it up one of these days and see how the physics hold up.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

The Time Dissolver posted:

Just played a Black Knight 2000 machine and all I can say is :vince:

Never played the TPA version, eager to see how it compares. It's nuts how fast the lower playfield is.

Black Knight 2000 is the game that got me back into pinball, so I will forever champion that table. I'm on iOS, but the BK2000 table on TPA holds up pretty well compared to real life.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

I still have High Speed and Pinbot cartridges for NES, I'll have to hook it up one of these days and see how the physics hold up.

Yeah I really need to revisit Pin*Bot now that I know the rules of the real table. When I first rented it like two decades ago I didn't know anything about pinball other than Pinball for the NES, so the game was a total confusing mystery to me.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

tonedef131 posted:

I have both, and they both play much better than I was expecting. It's too bad the series didn't continue beyond the NES.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Does anyone know if we're getting Jack*Bot in TPA? My local arcade in north Houston has one and it kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Does anyone know if we're getting Jack*Bot in TPA? My local arcade in north Houston has one and it kicks rear end.

Various interviews and streams recently have been pretty indicative of them wanting to finish the trilogy, and it's apparently pretty requested. I wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhere in this season or the next one.