Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yeah, the whole thing with "I read it for the articles" was that back in the day Playboy actually did have serious, legit articles to read, like reviews of stereos and interviews.

Also long-form journalism by people like Hunter S. Thompson and (I think) Tom Wolfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

First video up of KISS. Guess it's not even on legs, no adjustments have been made, and really early in the code. But looks fun.

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/videos/10153290535594244/

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Noticed this in the related videos of something I was watching. No idea why I clicked it, but I'm glad I did.

Australian guy setting up a Mario Brothers table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wE308WlfZ8

The accent, lack of knowledge plus enthusiasm. It's perfect.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Niwrad posted:

First video up of KISS. Guess it's not even on legs, no adjustments have been made, and really early in the code. But looks fun.

Great, now to gut it, repaint everything and turn it into a T. Rex table.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tony Phillips posted:

Noticed this in the related videos of something I was watching. No idea why I clicked it, but I'm glad I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wE308WlfZ8

The accent, lack of knowledge plus enthusiasm. It's perfect.

That's literally going to be me one day.

Niwrad posted:

Also, the Australian Distributor has sold out of LEs already(!!)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm not into KISS but I think the table is going to sell a ton. Artwork is great and there are a lot of KISS fans out there.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Tony Phillips posted:

We recently got a Mario table at Pinballz. The artwork and sound package is outstanding (Nintendo) but pretty much everything else is up to par with Gottlieb.

And can I just say how pumped I am for this KISS table? I'm just worried about the shot flow. That's one fundamental aspect I don't think Stern has nailed down just yet.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So it looks like John Popadiuk's pinball project has imploded. That's 2 boutiques under with all the money in the last few months. Who's next?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The new TPA table is out and it's Xenon. Welcome to Xenon I guess

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hint for the next table is "a sleeping bull?"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Apparently the new table has a revamped physics system that might get rolled out across the game if the response is good. I was surprised when I actually did a live catch.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The sound on iOS at least for Xenon is super hosed up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hang on.

Sleeping Bull

Dozing Bull

Bulldozer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Getaway is never coming out

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

That might actually get me to put down my :20bux: :10bux:

I mean the other tables have been pretty solid, but Red & Ted is a table I actually remember from when I was a kid. I mean, not fondly but I do remember it :v:

Alain Post posted:

Apparently the new table has a revamped physics system that might get rolled out across the game if the response is good. I was surprised when I actually did a live catch.

That's weird because I swear I thought the physics felt different on the new table, but I just assumed it was all in my head. I'd have to play around with it a bit to see if I like it but maybe it feels more realistic?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

Details from the newsletter.

quote:

Xenon Features Flipper Physics 3.0
We're proud to announce that we have enhanced our flipper physics to allow players to use more advanced ball control techniques like Live Catches, Drop Catches, and Tip Passes.
Click here to check out these techniques being used on Xenon in Pinball Arcade!
For more details on these techniques and other real world skills, check out Keith Elwin's awesome Pinball 101 video which is available in the Options Folder on the Main Menu of the mobile versions.
For now, only Xenon features this improved tech in our game. We'd like to know what you think! Implementing the new flippers physics is done on a per table basis. Once we get everything tuned as accurately as possible, our plan is to implement these physics on all of the tables in the Pinball Arcade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPopc-98jbg

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

^^^that's pretty cool

Edit nm

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I like that even the Farsight demo computer has slowdown

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Here's a video on how they got the sound on the original Xenon table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_dZqjlM430

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Suzanne Ciani is the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4593D44Lid4

edit: Her today, still the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnC9pu65pa0

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Alain Post posted:

I didn't know about the revamp, and at one point the ball was coming down a bit slow, and I thought, "I really wish you could do live catches, this would be a good time to try one on a real table." And then I did one. Rad. I would love to try this new system on the other tables.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I was surprised to do a live catch on the demo version of Xenon.
I actually like the way it works but don't want to play it again until the other tables get the same system.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
Those live catches may need a bit of tweaking. They might be TOO easy. I mean I'm pretty good at flipper tricks on a real table, but tonight on Xenon I caught two balls, one on each flipper, at the same time. I've never managed anything remotely close to that in reality. It was pretty neat, though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I know they had Jason Werdrick on before but there has been something thrilling about watching Pinball Joe totally destroy machines all week on Deadflip.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Those live catches may need a bit of tweaking. They might be TOO easy. I mean I'm pretty good at flipper tricks on a real table, but tonight on Xenon I caught two balls, one on each flipper, at the same time. I've never managed anything remotely close to that in reality. It was pretty neat, though.

I don't know, virtual pinball's always going to be easier than real pinball for multiple reasons. At least now they've taken a step towards realism, I was kind of tired of balls that felt like hollow rubber that would bounce all over the place and always roll right off your flipper unless you shook the table. Some tables (Monster Bash) were even worse than others somehow.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know, virtual pinball's always going to be easier than real pinball for multiple reasons. At least now they've taken a step towards realism, I was kind of tired of balls that felt like hollow rubber that would bounce all over the place and always roll right off your flipper unless you shook the table. Some tables (Monster Bash) were even worse than others somehow.

Yeah, I'm not complaining that they're finally making strides towards realism. I love the fact that we're finally getting some sort of ball control on the inlanes. They've still got a long way to go, but at least after all of these years they're finally doing SOMETHING that isn't just "put out a new table." The double live catch was ridiculous from a pinball point of view, but it didn't stop me from exclaiming "holy poo poo, that was awesome!"

I just hope Farsight really is trying to push their game into Harry Williams' world where "the ball is wild!"

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
It'd be nice if Farsight split off the physics for the console versions like they did with DX11. Being held back from decent physics because of phone hardware is pretty annoying. Better sound would be nice too.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
With Xenon it does seem like it plays more like an actual table. Aside from the new flipper physics the ball doesn't seem like it's getting slammed around everywhere by the slingshots and bumpers. Hopefully the response is overwhelmingly in favor of "yes, port to all tables.:

Though is anyone having an issue with finishing the Standard Goals on Xenon, namely the one about advancing the bonus to 20K? I've done that multiple times now but for some reason it doesn't register on the PC version.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ReverendHammer posted:

Though is anyone having an issue with finishing the Standard Goals on Xenon, namely the one about advancing the bonus to 20K? I've done that multiple times now but for some reason it doesn't register on the PC version.

Yeah, that seems to be happening to everybody. Because testing achievements while you're testing the table is too much work? :farsight:

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, that seems to be happening to everybody. Because testing achievements while you're testing the table is too much work? :farsight:

But OTOH I'll gladly trade better physics for achievements.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://youtu.be/peeYBimFFlg?t=1285

A bizarre viewer write-in contest on an old episode of Price is Right shows a pinball table I've never seen before. Wild. I wonder how many still exist in the wild?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That three-screen TV after that is the best.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A color TV and two black and white TVs. For people who only watch TRIPLE TELEVISION.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Allen Wren posted:

https://youtu.be/peeYBimFFlg?t=1285

A bizarre viewer write-in contest on an old episode of Price is Right shows a pinball table I've never seen before. Wild. I wonder how many still exist in the wild?

Well, we have four of them up on the shelves, so I'm guessing quite a lot. Pretty standard system 6 game.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Domus posted:

Well, we have four of them up on the shelves, so I'm guessing quite a lot. Pretty standard system 6 game.

My own experience is that I don't see late 70s to mid 80s tables exchange hands too often. Are people just hoarding this era?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Allen Wren posted:

A color TV and two black and white TVs. For people who only watch TRIPLE TELEVISION.

It's 1980. 1 TV for each network. At least that's how Elvis and LBJ did it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Domus posted:

I'm generally ignorant of what's really in circulation, since I just get to see what hits my local arcade and what pops up lurking in the corners of old memories.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

roffels posted:

My own experience is that I don't see late 70s to mid 80s tables exchange hands too often. Are people just hoarding this era?

I don't know in terms of collectors, but for us, it's not really worth getting them up and running. You can't sell them for very much, and you can't put them on the route. But the boss is not big on selling something as-is, because we could make more money on it if it was shopped. So they kind of sit there in limbo for now.

Plus there's really only me who ever works on pins, and with maintaining our barcade and keeping the field pins we have up and running, I don't have a ton of time for rehabbing anyway.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Domus posted:

I don't know in terms of collectors, but for us, it's not really worth getting them up and running. You can't sell them for very much, and you can't put them on the route. But the boss is not big on selling something as-is, because we could make more money on it if it was shopped. So they kind of sit there in limbo for now.

Plus there's really only me who ever works on pins, and with maintaining our barcade and keeping the field pins we have up and running, I don't have a ton of time for rehabbing anyway.

There's probably millions of machines sitting in that kind of limbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are there any specialized pinball USB controllers out there? Like a heavy thing you could just plop down in front of a laptop, with buttons on the side and maybe a plunger? I just ordered a decent PC, and the Pinball Arcade season 1 pack is cheaper than the cost of the tables I'm missing on Xbox, so I might just start over on Steam. If nothing else I can use a 360 controller, since those triggers feel more like slamming real pinball buttons than a laptop keyboard would (even if I'm technically losing some precision).