Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Do the seasons ever go on sale in Google Play? I bought a bunch of my old iPad but now mostly use Android devices and not looking at spending a ton for the seasons again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the pro version of a Pinball Arcade table a la carte on Steam? The in-game 'buy table pack' option goes straight to a $4.99 price, which I assume is the non-pro version, and the DLC menu in Steam only shows the season packs.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

FredMSloniker posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the pro version of a Pinball Arcade table a la carte on Steam? The in-game 'buy table pack' option goes straight to a $4.99 price, which I assume is the non-pro version, and the DLC menu in Steam only shows the season packs.

Go into the list of tables in-game, like you're going to play. Scroll to the desired table, if the pro option is available, it will have a button that says 'Go Pro Buy Now'. It will give the price to upgrade to Pro, it should be $3.99 to upgrade.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

rockinricky posted:

Go into the list of tables in-game, like you're going to play. Scroll to the desired table, if the pro option is available, it will have a button that says 'Go Pro Buy Now'. It will give the price to upgrade to Pro, it should be $3.99 to upgrade.

Oh, so I first buy the non-Pro table, then buy an upgrade to Pro? Fair enough.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Are you guys ready for the next sexy level of virtual pinball entertainment?!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/373810

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Joe Man posted:

Hahaha, it looks like a single guy bought it and he's probably the one who wrote the negative review.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

Oh, so I first buy the non-Pro table, then buy an upgrade to Pro? Fair enough.

What table are you trying to buy? Some don't have pro versions.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

What table are you trying to buy? Some don't have pro versions.

Well, I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I was definitely looking at ST:TNG and the Addams Family.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
What's the difference between pro and non-tables? I got the Season 1 pro pack during the sale, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Is it just table options? And doesn't your score stay off the leaderboards if you mess with the settings?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

What's the difference between pro and non-tables? I got the Season 1 pro pack during the sale, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Is it just table options? And doesn't your score stay off the leaderboards if you mess with the settings?

It's mostly just table options, yes. Specifically, being able to go into the Pro Menu and mess around with the table settings. There's also a protip section that describes a few ways to get a really high score and a 'look around the table' option that isn't that great. And yes, you can't get on the leaderboard if you activate the operator settings.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

The Joe Man posted:

The deal killer for me was the fact that the demo video is in the wrong aspect ratio.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The spot welds on my TAF chair scoop are broken. One of them looks like it was misaligned when it was manufactured. Think I can find someone to weld this for me? A new one from Marco is $64.

Structurally, it's still sound, it's just a little sloppy left to right, and I had taken it apart because it had been occasionally kicking out balls right down the drain. I can't think of a kludgey way to clamp it without interring with the ball path.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Unscrew it and take it to a metal shop or car mechanic and they can probably weld it together for you.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

My strategy of "Hope everyone else does worse than me" in a tournament finally paid off and I took first place! Few things feel better than taking home a cash prize undefeated in the pinball scene. I did not have my best games because I still get my tournament jitters (and have finally resolved to avoid using my single-player game strategies to get on the leadership board - just go for easy points and safe shots that I can recover)

I brick a lot of shots I could normally make by my lonesome. Competitive pinball playing stresses me out.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

New update for PC Pinball Arcade is out finally adding tournaments, but in typical Farsight fashion it looks like it's busted

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

roffels posted:

My strategy of "Hope everyone else does worse than me" in a tournament finally paid off and I took first place! Few things feel better than taking home a cash prize undefeated in the pinball scene. I did not have my best games because I still get my tournament jitters (and have finally resolved to avoid using my single-player game strategies to get on the leadership board - just go for easy points and safe shots that I can recover)

I brick a lot of shots I could normally make by my lonesome. Competitive pinball playing stresses me out.

Congrats again.

I used the alternate "Two terrible games against better players" technique to lock down that tied for last place award.

Sincerely,

Tony "Two and done" Phillips

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Do not even ask posted:

New update for PC Pinball Arcade is out finally adding tournaments, but in typical Farsight fashion it looks like it's busted

Is it actually broken?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Do not even ask posted:

Now they just need to add busted challenges for the other seasons, and busted updated physics to the other tables!

VV It does feel like it, at least from my trial playthrough. I've done some live catches, mostly accidentally, and that wasn't really something you could do with the old physics. The ball feels more like a real ball in Road Show.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 30, 2015

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Does the new Road as how table for PA use the new physics? It's the one thing keeping me from buying the new stuff. The ball handling actually seems better, but I would want it on all the tables!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Pretty sure it does. I've made a couple unintentional drop catches.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

Does the new Road as how table for PA use the new physics? It's the one thing keeping me from buying the new stuff. The ball handling actually seems better, but I would want it on all the tables!

The PC guy on the forums said that all new tables from now on should always include the new physics, and that they'd announce it when and which older tables start getting it. I guess big shot was the exception there because from what I hear it already has the new physics.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nurge posted:

The PC guy on the forums said that all new tables from now on should always include the new physics, and that they'd announce it when and which older tables start getting it. I guess big shot was the exception there because from what I hear it already has the new physics.

Yeah that table clearly has new physics, and it's a lot easier to roll the scoreboard as a result because the ball isn't flying around everywhere all the time now :)

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Do not even ask posted:

Based on the table listing for this first tourney they may as well have titled it the Oh God Please buy These Tables Tourney:

Space Shuttle™
Ripley's Believe It or Not!®
Twilight Zone™
Cactus Canyon™
Victory™
Haunted House™
Tee'd Off™
Class of 1812™

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

LordPants posted:

Yeah that table clearly has new physics, and it's a lot easier to roll the scoreboard as a result because the ball isn't flying around everywhere all the time now :)

Yay, it's no longer a big bouncy mess!

Now I have to learn how to NOT play it like it's a big bouncy mess.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

ReverendHammer posted:

Based on the table listing for this first tourney they may as well have titled it the Oh God Please buy These Tables Tourney:

Space Shuttle™
Twilight Zone™
Cactus Canyon™
Victory™
Haunted House™
Tee'd Off™
Class of 1812™

Ripley's is one of my favorite TPAs, and Space Shuttle ain't too bad...

The rest though are definitely in the lower tier, though I often find myself going back to Victory frequently. I'm surprised this doesn't have Lights Camera Action, but it looks like everything is seasons 1-2.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Clouseau posted:

Ripley's is one of my favorite TPAs, and Space Shuttle ain't too bad...

The rest though are definitely in the lower tier, though I often find myself going back to Victory frequently. I'm surprised this doesn't have Lights Camera Action, but it looks like everything is seasons 1-2.

The two tables that seem worthwhile in that list were TZ and SS. I just could not get into Ripley's at all. Cactus Canyon was kinda meh, and the rest are all boring as hell.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ReverendHammer posted:

Yay, it's no longer a big bouncy mess!

Now I have to learn how to NOT play it like it's a big bouncy mess.

I think :Farsight: really shot themselves in the foot. I have no interest in playing the old tables or buying the new until the better physics is implemented across the board.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

ReverendHammer posted:

Space Shuttle™
Twilight Zone™
Cactus Canyon™
Victory™
Haunted House™
Tee'd Off™
Class of 1812™

I started in on the tournament thinking that it'd be a fun little excursion, maybe I'd try my hand at some tables and see what I could manage leaderboard-wise. And then I noticed the line-up. But I soldiered on, played some Space Shuttle and Tee'd Off and did mediocre. Then I went to the leaderboards out of curiosity. The top scores (not "scores" as in actual table scores but the Farsight point system) were something like 600-700 points, meaning they pretty much maxed out the amount of points you could get per-table. The actual table scores were a billion or so per table, on like all the tables.

gently caress the playerbase for Pinball Arcade, goddamn :(

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I think :Farsight: really shot themselves in the foot. I have no interest in playing the old tables or buying the new until the better physics is implemented across the board.

Well the new physics should be in the new tables form here on out (they are in Roadshow) so picking up new stuff should be OK. But I agree with your statement about the older tables. Once some of the tables I like get updated (namely ToM, T2, Centaur, AfM and TAF) I will probably seriously dive back into playing TPA again.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Spooky Pinball have announced their first licensed table: "Rob Zombie’s Spookshow International". The table will be limited to 300 units (50 of which will be limited editions), and will feature artwork by Alex Horley (Various Fantasy Art things, Rob Zombie album art), toys by Back Alley Creations (various mods, toys and custom pinballs), voicework by Zombie and Sid Haig, 10 Rob Zombie songs and a bunch of references to his films.

No photos of the actual table yet, because the art package apparently isn't complete yet. They're aiming to ship in January. I have never seen any of Spooky's tables before, but apparently they have a decent rep?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

ReverendHammer posted:

Space Shuttle™
Twilight Zone™
Cactus Canyon™
Victory™
Haunted House™
Tee'd Off™
Class of 1812™

I think Space Shuttle is really fun, and Twilight Zone is definitely awesome. I like Haunted House more than any normal person should. Class of 1812? Fffuuuuuuuuccckkkkk that table

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

The Kins posted:

I have never seen any of Spooky's tables before, but apparently they have a decent rep?

Of all the boutique pinball shops (e.g. John P's Zidware, the guys making Predator et al) they're the only ones to actually ship a finished game. Those other two pretty much took people's money and ran.

I played America's Most Haunted, and it was neat. It didn't make a huge impression on me, but it wasn't bad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The Kins posted:

Spooky Pinball have announced their first licensed table: "Rob Zombie’s Spookshow International". The table will be limited to 300 units (50 of which will be limited editions), and will feature artwork by Alex Horley (Various Fantasy Art things, Rob Zombie album art), toys by Back Alley Creations (various mods, toys and custom pinballs), voicework by Zombie and Sid Haig, 10 Rob Zombie songs and a bunch of references to his films.

No photos of the actual table yet, because the art package apparently isn't complete yet. They're aiming to ship in January. I have never seen any of Spooky's tables before, but apparently they have a decent rep?

I think the only other table they did was America's Most Haunted, which is kinda ugly in a Stern way but some people in the thread seemed to like?

I had zero interest in the theme of AMH but I still kind of like Rob Zombie, so I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

AMH seemed like a nice game that could have really used a licensed theme.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Weird, I could've sworn it was a licensed table but the only thing I could find on America's Most Haunted was a podcast and a comedy movie about a fake ghost-hunting reality show. If anything I guess it could be based on the fake show from the movie? But it doesn't even look like that's the case.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

King Vidiot posted:

Weird, I could've sworn it was a licensed table but the only thing I could find on America's Most Haunted was a podcast and a comedy movie about a fake ghost-hunting reality show. If anything I guess it could be based on the fake show from the movie? But it doesn't even look like that's the case.

The naming thing between the movie and the game was a coincidence. Though they ended up getting an actor from the movie to do some callouts for the game.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the AV package on that game is totally great. It's really hammy.

It's also another game that Dennis Nordman helped with which means I think he's done something with every pinball company in the last two years.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I forgot how hard it is to keep a Haunted House game going for 20 minutes. I still love it, but it hurts me so much.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I just tried the new physics in Big Shot, and while I still like the physics it does wonky things in that table. I've seen the ball go straight through the pop bumper, and that thing where the ball "sticks" to a lane it's entering is really jarring with the new physics. I never noticed it with the old physics, but now if the ball goes into that open gate that feeds into the plunger, or those side 500/1000 point lanes (from the bottom) it's really noticeable.

So it's probably going to be a rough go getting those physics to old tables that maybe weren't designed around it. I'm liking it in the other tables though, particularly Road Show which was really fun. What was the word on the rumored final Season 4 table? It seems like people had it figured out in this thread but I don't remember what they said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Pinball Arcade problem - Road Show hasn't shown up in my table collection on Steam yet. I have a Season 4 pass, and automatic downloads are enabled. Anyone encounter this before, and know how to force the download?