Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing worse than hating on women is a shallow rule set with repetitive shots - us itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
R.I.P. Python Anghelo, you creepy creepy man.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are you in this Clouseau?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js2rpRXOHkM

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

King Vidiot posted:

R.I.P. Python Anghelo, you creepy creepy man.

Trudeau's the creep iirc

breaks
May 12, 2001

There may well be more than one but Python was, by all accounts, a huge fuckin creep.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've been out of the Pinball Arcade loop since sometime in Season 3. Have there been any recent tables I should avoid other than Lights, Camera, Action? Is Class of 1812 still the worst table?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
On the flip side of the question, what are the must-have tables from later seasons? I'm particularly fond of Medieval Madness because it seems like every shot does something; tables like ST:TNG and Twilight Zone have the unfortunate issue of often having poor shots just bounce off a post or something. And is Season 2 worth buying at half price? I've heard it has more than its share of clunkers.

Also, which tables have the improved ball physics? Big Shot, Road Trip, and Xenon are the ones I think have it... any others?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

FredMSloniker posted:

And is Season 2 worth buying at half price? I've heard it has more than its share of clunkers.

Totally worth it. Class of 1812 is wretched, and Central Park doesn't really have anything going for it besides novelty value, but I'd call every other table decent or better.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Yup! Commissioner Ben. I'll leave whether I was having a good hair day or a great hair day up to the viewer. I was really nervous because they interviewed me for about a half hour for the footage, and they asked me a bunch of very specific history of pinball manufacturing questions I was absolutely sure I got wrong. Fortunately, none of that was used.

I drop in on Deadflip very occasionally too, though I haven't done so in a long time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

Also, which tables have the improved ball physics? Big Shot, Road Trip, and Xenon are the ones I think have it... any others?

Any table from here on out should have the new physics. Safecracker does and it's surprisingly fun for all the disappointment people in the thread seemed to have that it wasn't their pet favorite table.

As for must-haves from later seasons, there isn't much in the way of what you're looking for from Medieval Madness, but in my opinion here's the better tables/packs:

Season 2: White Water/Space Shuttle, Centaur/Pin*Bot, T2, Champion Pub/Whirlwind
Season 3: Dracula, Diner, Black Knight 2000, Who Dunnit?, High Speed
Season 4: Addams Family, Cyclone, Road Show, Safecracker

There's others too depending on what looks good to you. And I'd maybe consider Season 2 at half-price, maybe. I mean personally I've bought every single season, so mileage may vary, but at $15 you're basically paying for Season 2's best tables and getting the bad ones to at least try out for the sake of novelty.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Rollersnake posted:

Totally worth it. Class of 1812 is wretched, and Central Park doesn't really have anything going for it besides novelty value, but I'd call every other table decent or better.

Uh, weren't Goin' Nuts and that horrible Aztec themed early '80's Gottlieb table also part of season 2?

Any way, the full season is worth it for Centaur and Pin*Bot alone.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sizone posted:

Uh, weren't Goin' Nuts and that horrible Aztec themed early '80's Gottlieb table also part of season 2?

Goin' Nuts is a crime against humanity, and when I saw that Safecracker was time-based instead of three-ball-based, I was very nervous that it might be another horror.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I can't see the name Goin' Nuts without hearing that pulsing WHOM-wum WHOM-wum WHOM-wum in my head and getting a thousand yard stare. That game is a loving abomination, and I feel bad for anybody with the Stockholm Syndrome to think they like it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

prefect posted:

Goin' Nuts is a crime against humanity, and when I saw that Safecracker was time-based instead of three-ball-based, I was very nervous that it might be another horror.

Fear not. Safecracker is actually pretty fun and I don't really like Pat Lawlor tables. Fortunately it avoids the usual Lawlor curses, the annoying 3rd flipper is mostly vestigial, there aren't, as far as I can tell, any needlessly difficult hurryup modes and the voice samples are merely annoying and not deplorable. It is, however, debatable how much the gimmick improves or impedes the game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

Trudeau's the creep iirc
Like I need an excuse to repost this...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Whitewater and Space Shuttle were season 2, right? Firepower too, and Flight 2000 really bonded with me as well.

But yeah gently caress that stream of Gottlieb crap.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

Trudeau's the creep iirc

The creator of Zingy Bingy was the creep.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Kins posted:

quote:

Kingpin and Big Bang Bar are now highly sought after collectors' items going for as much as $5000 to $6000
It's hard to imagine a time when you could find an original BBB for $6000.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

The Kins posted:

That's one of my very favorites.

There's also Python's bridge burning podcast where he berates the host into promising to read Ayn Rand and then badmouths everyone except Steve Ritchie.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

He wasn't totally kind to Steve Ritchie either. It's been a while but I remember him going off about how High Speed was disrespectful to cops.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

King Vidiot posted:

I can't see the name Goin' Nuts without hearing that pulsing WHOM-wum WHOM-wum WHOM-wum in my head and getting a thousand yard stare. That game is a loving abomination, and I feel bad for anybody with the Stockholm Syndrome to think they like it.

I like the gimmick, and I was addicted to it for a while. I think of it as kind of a training table for managing multiball.

Sizone posted:

that horrible Aztec themed early '80's Gottlieb table

El Dorado: City of Gold makes more sense when you read it up on it and see it was the last of many themed variations on the same table layout, which first debuted in 1975. I think it plays fine, but it's no accident that it's generic as hell.

The best-looking of all of them is the Canada Dry one. "Ginger ale" is somehow a more appealing theme for that table than "mythical ancient city." :psyduck:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 29, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I really wanted this to be about smoking.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I actually like Goin' Nuts, though there's one bank of targets I can't hit to save my life, I think it's the yellows.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rollersnake posted:

El Dorado: City of Gold makes more sense when you read it up on it and see it was the last of many themed variations on the same table layout, which first debuted in 1975. I think it plays fine, but it's no accident that it's generic as hell.

DLC pack Detected.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Clouseau posted:

Yup! Commissioner Ben. I'll leave whether I was having a good hair day or a great hair day up to the viewer. I was really nervous because they interviewed me for about a half hour for the footage, and they asked me a bunch of very specific history of pinball manufacturing questions I was absolutely sure I got wrong. Fortunately, none of that was used.

I drop in on Deadflip very occasionally too, though I haven't done so in a long time.

You did great. I'm glad Delilah's got a plug in that video too. It's what got me into AC/DC and is right across the street from me. Seven Ten (formerly Lucky Strike) used to have a Frankenstein before they re-modeled.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

King Vidiot posted:

Any table from here on out should have the new physics. Safecracker does and it's surprisingly fun for all the disappointment people in the thread seemed to have that it wasn't their pet favorite table.

As for must-haves from later seasons, there isn't much in the way of what you're looking for from Medieval Madness, but in my opinion here's the better tables/packs:

Season 2: White Water/Space Shuttle, Centaur/Pin*Bot, T2, Champion Pub/Whirlwind
Season 3: Dracula, Diner, Black Knight 2000, Who Dunnit?, High Speed
Season 4: Addams Family, Cyclone, Road Show, Safecracker

There's others too depending on what looks good to you. And I'd maybe consider Season 2 at half-price, maybe. I mean personally I've bought every single season, so mileage may vary, but at $15 you're basically paying for Season 2's best tables and getting the bad ones to at least try out for the sake of novelty.

Junk Yard is my second favorite table in season 3, and the closest to Medieval Madness, in the sense it feels like every shot is doing something. My opinion.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Gotlieb machines are bewildering to me. There are some good ones few and far between and Gotlieb was too cheap to get licenses most of the time, so why choose such awful tables to represent that company?

Goin' Nuts at least has the historical curiosity value, but there is NO reason on earth to digitize Class and Lights, Camera, Action. LCA is my most hated table in the game, how they could play more than three games with the unmissable Skill Shot that takes 10 seconds to get through and not realize the table was broken, I'll never know. poo poo theme, poo poo art, poo poo modes, poo poo shots. A horrendous table.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

I like the gimmick, and I was addicted to it for a while. I think of it as kind of a training table for managing multiball.

The best-looking of all of them is the Canada Dry one. "Ginger ale" is somehow a more appealing theme for that table than "mythical ancient city." :psyduck:

lol ive played el dorado and canada dry

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I don't hate Class of 1812 that much.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

cosmicjim posted:

I don't hate Class of 1812 that much.

Yeah, I'm not seeing why it's that bad. I thought it wasn't too bad and fairly fun to play.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I don't like Class but I don't mind LCA at all, it's not great but it's totally fine, as is Tee'd Off. Yeah, Premier released a lot of poo poo but TO and LCA are decent games. I think some people just go into a froth over any Premier/Gottlieb table for some reason.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Haunted House doesn't flow great but the aesthetics are fantastic.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Haunted House is so great, a game with that many flippers should be any fun... but it is. Genie is fine.

I hate the rest of the Gottlieb games immensely and I get annoyed just seeing them on my list of tables. They are just... UGLY.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Haunted House is so great, a game with that many flippers should be any fun... but it is. Genie is fine.

I hate the rest of the Gottlieb games immensely and I get annoyed just seeing them on my list of tables. They are just... UGLY.

You take that poo poo back about Black Hole right now, buster :colbert:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
In the case of Class of 1812, it could play brilliantly and I'd still probably hate it because it is obnoxious with an intensity that borders on torture. Plus is there anything it does that Monster Bash doesn't do better?

At least it comes with Victory, which might be my favorite of all the Gottlieb tables.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, I just tried Xenon and the physics are so much better it's crazy. It feels so much better to be doing drop catches and post passes with ease. I really hope Farsight retroactively updates the physics on season 1-3 tables, but I'm not hopeful for it to happen anytime soon.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah the first time I live catched a ball with the new physics I was floored, that never ever happened on any of the other tables. The ball just stops dead and rolls into the cradle and it's great. :haw:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I've put Safecracker all together now and I really really like it. The only one blemish it has is that it's super punishing in so far as the roof entrance is quite often the worst entrance, and so many shots that are important to make if you miss them suck you into the pops and then into the roof.

The most obvious is missing left of the sewer entrance and the ball getting kicked around the orbit into the pops again. :argh:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Domus posted:

I think the grotto shot isn't working because the post isn't working. It's a pop-up post, they're on a lot of sterns. Most visible in Sopranos, in the spinner shot while it displays the episode/pork store. It's a solenoid that drives it, so there's either a loose wire, a bad transistor, or they disabled it for some reason. Also, that shot to the right of the center ramp is wired wrong. There's a gate there, with a switch on it. Hard to see because it kind of hides under the triangle thing.

Did you know there's a picture hidden behind the mirror? You're supposed to be able to see it when the flashers go off, but the only time I've seen it trigger was in test mode.

I really love the toys in this game. Too bad the rules suck rear end. That metallic bead curtain with magnetic side poles is brilliant.

Edit: You can find a whole bunch of info about the game in the manual. Stern doesn't have it, because they're Stern and they have their head up their rear end most of the time. But you can find it on antelope arcade

Thanks for the info - I didn't reply for a while because I've been having a problem getting that manual. Somewhere stateside, the route just goes dead and I can't reach the website at all - I thought that it might get fixed over time, but nothing yet, and I might have some time to check the table out over the weekend. If somebody could reupload the manual to some file hosting site, I would be much obliged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Clouseau posted:

That's one of my very favorites.

There's also Python's bridge burning podcast where he berates the host into promising to read Ayn Rand and then badmouths everyone except Steve Ritchie.

Wait, that was Python? I could have sworn that interview was Trudeau