Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's not literally hitler because it's not a 1-ball game.

Yeah, okay, I'll get my coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

E: wrong thread

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NgByitFwg

Jackbot Tutorial.

:allears: Bowen. :allears:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cool thanks. jack is my favorite of the bots

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Boxman posted:

So, my local pinball place is closing at the end of the month. I stopped in to say goodbye and :stare:

CHUNKA CHUNKA CHUNKA CHUNKA CHUNKA CHUNKA CHUNKA

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Boxman posted:

So, my local pinball place is closing at the end of the month. I stopped in to say goodbye and :stare:

You should ask the owners what's going to happen to their machines. Maybe you can figure out how they managed to acquire something that the pinball wiki claims only ten of exist.

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

If it is CP then he's a private collector, I doubt he plans on selling many of his machines. Would be interesting to find out how he got that though.

When is he open next Saturday? I am planning on going to St Louis anyways and if it's the last time he'll be open to the public I should probably make it a point to go. Been meaning to forever but never have.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Boxman posted:

Setting Goin' Nuts aside for a moment, there was a Q*Bert pinball? :stare:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ninja alamode posted:

If it is CP then he's a private collector, I doubt he plans on selling many of his machines. Would be interesting to find out how he got that though.

When is he open next Saturday? I am planning on going to St Louis anyways and if it's the last time he'll be open to the public I should probably make it a point to go. Been meaning to forever but never have.

It's 6 to midnight, today they had a noon to 6 schedule but I've been sick the past few days, I'm broke and a friend of mine didn't get back with me about going.

Hopefully I can make it next week, especially if they have Goin' Nuts.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Setting Goin' Nuts aside for a moment, there was a Q*Bert pinball? :stare:

Yeah I wanna know how Q*Bert pinball plays. Does he swear at you when you lose a ball?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It had a goofy figure-eight layout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B_BGvD33Ac

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

That looks like an absolute nightmare to play, but at least Q*Bert talks to you the whole time. That makes it worth at least one game.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
It's a shame that there isn't anyone out there making crazy designs like that anymore. I mean, I totally understand why, because Q*Bert's Quest isn't supposed to be good, and a poor selling machine could sink a company, but I'd love to see a terrible 80's Premier style game made today.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Probably Wrestlemania is the closest example of any recent game. It's definitely not as strange as some of those Premiers, but it still ends up having some of the same depth problems caused by the separated sections. I think it's just not possible to make an actual good game like that without increasing the table size.

Still, make sure to put a few plays on Gold Wings if you ever see one!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

breaks posted:

Still, make sure to put a few plays on Gold Wings if you ever see one!
This and Genesis are the only Premier tables I've ever played that I actually enjoyed.

The rest were just "meh" compared to the stuff Bally/Williams was busting out at the same time.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I love Gold Wings!

Wrestlemania definitely does share some lineage, especially since Trudeau designed it. It's also a bummer like a lot of those Premier games.

I think Wrestlemania is a big missed opportunity though, I think it could have been a much better game if the code was up to the task. The major problem is how boring the game is once it gets up in the ring, and they could just disable the ring sometimes or make it so the upper orbit shots just loop all the time instead of going into the ring.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Is Goin' Nuts actually fun in real life, or is it still literally hitler

Yeah, it's pretty fuckin' bad. It's sorta funny because it's like "this is awesome this is a piece of history" then it's like "oh wait there's a reason this never went into production." I did go ballistic when I saw it though.

ninja alamode posted:

It is CP. I talked to him a little bit on my way out and he's not liquidating at all, just stepping back from the public openings for a bit. He won't be closing his doors completely, either; he's planning on running tournaments out of the location, with free play to entrants on those days. There's already one scheduled for mid January. You can take a peek on the website. Talking to him also makes it sound like he's planning on re-opening at some point in the future, he's just really not sure when.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

CP is the best. Before Chicago had any significant pinball scene, my friends and I would take a road trip down there once a year. At a time when the most pinball machines I had seen in one place since the nineties was around 5, it was incredible.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Clouseau posted:

CP is the best. Before Chicago had any significant pinball scene, my friends and I would take a road trip down there once a year. At a time when the most pinball machines I had seen in one place since the nineties was around 5, it was incredible.

What's with Chicago? It's pretty much the home city of pinball. Seems weird that there could be no scene there.

We have our machines in a business that is part of a small national chain called Punch Bowl Social Club. I heard from my boss that the Chicago location has pinballs that can only be played by those using smartphone payments. The area bans coin-operated machines. Machines that are pay-to-play, but don't take coins or dollars, are legal. Not only is that a WTF law, but apparently they are maintained by a guy from Denver, because no area operator would work with them.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The reason that there wasn't much pinball until very recently has to do with some onerous licencing in Chicago. A standard bar licence in Chicago allows you to have three coin op machines TOTAL (including jukeboxes, those little bar screen games, etc), if you have parking you can add a couple more. Each machine has to have a licence through the city, and those licences have to be renewed yearly at cost. I don't know how long these laws have been on the books, but I'm sure it comes from some easily exploitable arcades are ruining my children paranoia from decades ago, and it pays so it's never leaving the law. I could have a couple details wrong here.

Recently you can get a special use permit, but I'm sure that costs extra. Ultimately now, there's a ton of pinball everywhere. This would have been unbelievable to me 5 years ago.

Regarding Punch Bowl, I wonder if that's in reference to their location opening up in the burbs. There is one opening soon in town as well though.

I have no idea how Williams worked within these laws back when they were making pinball machines. FWIW, Stern is pretty active in supporting pinball in the city and they put out test machines and stuff regularly, as well send out designers and other staff to launch parties.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Clouseau posted:

It's a shame that there isn't anyone out there making crazy designs like that anymore. I mean, I totally understand why, because Q*Bert's Quest isn't supposed to be good, and a poor selling machine could sink a company, but I'd love to see a terrible 80's Premier style game made today.
The closest you get is probably Wheel of Fortune with those dumb outlane savers and dual lane center drain.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Clouseau posted:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So how do banana flippers affect the ball? I've never actually tried a banana flipper machine before, but they look like they'd add extra forward or back spin relative to where the ball is. That seems like it'd be really annoying and hard to adjust to.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They at least make it really easy to backhand shots.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've only played them a couple of times, but my experience was 1) they work sort of like jai alai baskets and make the ball go really fast if you flip it the whole length of the flipper, 2) they tend to send the ball in only one direction, which means you hit one spot on the table over and over and can't hit anything else, 3) they gently caress you up for the rest of the day when you try to go back to normal flippers.

That being said I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

apparently pba judge dredd is gonna use the production ball lock behavior rather than the orbiting locks unfortunately

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Farsight are doing a "12 Days of Xmas" daily announcement thing on Facebook.

Day one was a timed holiday tournament on Steam, mobile and PSN.

Day two was far more interesting - Oculus Rift support will be coming next year!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oh cool maybe they'll announce Pinball After Dark again.

Or that horrific other game they were working on.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Awesome! posted:

apparently pba judge dredd is gonna use the production ball lock behavior rather than the orbiting locks unfortunately
I think their licensing agreements are incredibly strict, and they have to do exactly what the production games did. I think on F-14 Tomcat, there are some lights that exist, but were disabled on the production table, because it turned out they were a fire hazard or something if the targets around them got too damaged. Of course, this isn't an issue on a virtual table, but they were forced to disable the lights anyway, because that's how the production table was delivered. They have no choice in the matter. What came out the door of the factory is what gets replicated.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

He shoots at individual targets at specific times on the visor and reliably hits them. :cripes:

[Almost-bored voice] "And there's a super... and there's another super..."

prefect fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 16, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Oh cool maybe they'll announce Pinball After Dark again.

Or that horrific other game they were working on.
They used the language "all of our pinball games" for the Oculus announcement. That probably covers the Stern app, but maybe After Dark will still be a thing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Farsight can't even make one pinball game work.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Inferior Third Season posted:

I think their licensing agreements are incredibly strict, and they have to do exactly what the production games did. I think on F-14 Tomcat, there are some lights that exist, but were disabled on the production table, because it turned out they were a fire hazard or something if the targets around them got too damaged. Of course, this isn't an issue on a virtual table, but they were forced to disable the lights anyway, because that's how the production table was delivered. They have no choice in the matter. What came out the door of the factory is what gets replicated.

its the flashers above the two upper target banks. see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrs8COEiab4&t=272s
i dont have season 5 yet so i didnt even notice it in the game.
but that was changed after production started i believe. who knows if its a contract issue or them just being lazy

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

When I restored my F14 I put those flashers back in. It really is only noticeable at the premultiball light show, and even then there are so many flashers going you have to know what your looking for. Production machines weren't missing much.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Awesome! posted:

jack is my favorite of the bots

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
When is Farsight finally going to get to 3-D Ultra Pinball: The Lost Continent?!?!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Judge Dredd just dropped on Steam!

EDIT: We have our new Scared Stiff, ladies and gentlemen. This game will just not quit spitting out extra balls. Preliminary strategy is to just start modes, then ignore them while collecting crime scenes for extra balls all day.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 19, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TheMcD posted:

Judge Dredd just dropped on Steam!

EDIT: We have our new Scared Stiff, ladies and gentlemen. This game will just not quit spitting out extra balls. Preliminary strategy is to just start modes, then ignore them while collecting crime scenes for extra balls all day.

And once again, I complete three wizard goals before finishing the standard goals, so they don't count. :argh:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

New table hint, supposedly using the theme of Theatre of Magic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fireball and Cactus Canyon?