Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ninja alamode posted:

Most likely driving 2.5 hrs to visit CP Pinball for the first time tomorrow, anything I should know beforehand? How crowded does it get afternoon vs evening? Looking forward to trying out Medieval Madness after logging the most time in Pinball Arcade on that, what other tables should I try?

Try every table once, if you can; it's incredibly educational if you don't have a lot of real-world-pinball experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ninja alamode posted:

Most likely driving 2.5 hrs to visit CP Pinball for the first time tomorrow, anything I should know beforehand? How crowded does it get afternoon vs evening? Looking forward to trying out Medieval Madness after logging the most time in Pinball Arcade on that, what other tables should I try?
If it's anything like the MM's I've played in real life, hitting the castle nearly always results in a SDTM, and attempts to nudge it toward a flipper tilt the machine. I think my highest irl score is about 40m, when my highest PBA score is somewhere around 350m.

:smith:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Went to Ronnie Raygun's in Huntsville, Alabama last night. It's in a room at a place called Campus 805. The locals still mostly call it Stone Middle School. It was a middle school that's been converted into a place with a some breweries and pubs.
Most game are $1 per or 3 games for $2. Terminator 3, Simpson's Pinball Party, and Monopoly are 5 plays for $2.
The guy that owns this is a collector and only puts new tables in because he doesn't want his older machines to be damaged.

Here are some pictures. Sorry for some blurriness.

Terminator 3 (The RPG is disabled and you just get points for it.)
Metallica
Medieval Madness (Remake)
Game of Thrones Pro
Pirates of the Caribbean
Star Trek Pro

Star Trek Premium (The owner must really love Star Trek)

Mustang (I really enjoyed this. It's a fast flowing machine, but I can tell it doesn't get played that much. I can listen to Free Ride all night long.)

Kiss (Kiss develops divots over time on the playfield where Gene spits out the balls. This table doesn't look that bad, yet.)
ACDC (This has modified artwork. The band pictures on the glass and playfield are covered up by a devil with big tits.)
Monopoly

Xmen
Spiderman
Ironman
Avengers
Simpson's PP
The Walking Dead

I also went to Pints and Pixels. It's a co-op with Anaheim Chili.
It's got a lot of old arcade machines as well pinball machines.
I didn't get pictures, but the current line up to the best of my memory....

Metallica
Xmen
Lord of the Rings
Star Trek
Medieval Madness
Addams Family
Tron
Space Shuttle
Wold Cup Soccer
Apollo 13 (First impression of this was really good and I'm now a firm believer that Sega machines unfairly have a bad reputation.
Batman the Dark Knight
Spiderman

Huntsville Alabama is becoming a pretty cool place.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ninja alamode posted:

Spectrum! :v:

The joke being that nobody there ever plays Spectrum.

I've only been there twice, once on a Sunday afternoon and another in the evening on closing night so I've seen it both at its most and least crowded. Afternoon is obviously less crowded, but evenings might be fine too on regular business days. But even at its most crowded it's really chill, just wander around and jump onto an empty machine when you see one. Not too many machine hogs, but of course any of the really good machines will probably be taken on a full-capacity night.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I mentioned it in my last post, but Sega pinball in general is pretty underrated.
I own Baywatch and Maverick and they are genuinely fun.

I played Apollo 13 and was pleasantly surprised with it as well.
Frankenstein, Stargate, and Starship Troopers are all not bad either.
If I had to guess the reputation has more to do with how difficult they can be to maintain causing people to run into mostly broken machines.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Sega and Data East both made a lot of very good B pins (also underrated: DE's Time Machine).

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Sega's big problem was that their budget was cut every single year, so Sega started with tables as feature full and ridiculous as Frankenstein, and then by the end of the nineties the tables were far more sparse and cheap looking with Lost World and South Park.

The rulesets, especially in comparison to their Williams/Bally competitors, left a lot to be desired. Also, Stargate is cool, but it's a Premier Gottlieb.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Clouseau posted:

Sega's big problem was that their budget was cut every single year, so Sega started with tables as feature full and ridiculous as Frankenstein, and then by the end of the nineties the tables were far more sparse and cheap looking with Lost World and South Park.

The rulesets, especially in comparison to their Williams/Bally competitors, left a lot to be desired. Also, Stargate is cool, but it's a Premier Gottlieb.

Whoops good catch. Don't know why I misremembered that.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys have any recommended barcades or other pinball stops in Chicago?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Do you guys have any recommended barcades or other pinball stops in Chicago?

Logan Arcade, Logan Arcade, Logan Arcade.

The other places are okay. Most of the pins are free at Headquarters- but this has an adverse effect on their relative quality.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Chicago proper has the aforementioned Logan Arcade in Logan Square, as well as the Bottom Lounge by Union Park (though I believe its full pinball lineup is only available on Thursdays. At least you can probably catch a show there, and they've still got). Galloping Ghost Arcade in Brookfield is right off the BNSF Metra line's Congress Park stop (though you'll have to walk 15 minutes or so to get to the Brookfield line, since the stop it's next to is one way only. Might be better to catch an Uber or something) and has a modest collection that's worth checking out (though to be honest, if you're going to GGA, you're going there for their massive arcade collection, not the pinball stuff), but the real treat is Brixie's across the street, which last time I checked, had a Logan's Run operating there, which is worth the trip by itself. (It's also got a well-maintained Medieval Madness, and the food and drink there's pretty good too!)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does Galloping Ghost have the pins out all the time? They used to have them in a separate room and only open certain times.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Stern's next table has been announced: Batman '66!

It looks to be based on the old Dark Knight table but with playfield changes, least of all including color LCDs, rather than just being a Vault Edition reskin. It's also a collaboration with a new company, Ka-Pow Pinball, set up by Joe Kaminkow, which might be interesting further down the line...

Also of note: No Pro version, so don't expect to see this thing on location.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think they'll ever dump Pro models but I do wonder if we'll start getting more of these one off tables that are strictly Premium/LE. Seems like it's more profitable to sell 1,000 or so of the higher end models than a bunch of Pro models.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Gotta say, didn't see that coming at all. Certainly not for the first all LCD'd.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks!

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Clouseau posted:

Gotta say, didn't see that coming at all. Certainly not for the first all LCD'd.
Doing it on a vault edition lets them focus their resources on getting experience with developing LCD rather than mixing it in with designing a table from scratch.

I hope this sells well. After the Spiderman comic book style vault edition, and now this, I'm really hoping they do Lord of the Rings with cartoonish art.

Speaking of which, the guy at the local pinball place had a falling out with his partner, and Twilight Zone and LotR was taken away. He replaced them with Theater of Magic and WoZ, so it's not all bad, but I miss the old tables. I also need to figure out wtf is going on with WoZ. So many colors, and I have no idea what's happening.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Inferior Third Season posted:

I hope this sells well. After the Spiderman comic book style vault edition, and now this, I'm really hoping they do Lord of the Rings with cartoonish art.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Better than the live action movie art.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
November seems really soon for a new table, is that just for a special class of deposit? My area got two of the Ghostbusters tables when they were released, and I'm hoping they get a Batman 66 too. There was a Dark Knight table up the road from my old house, but by the time I discovered the bar it was in I was in contract for another house in a less convenient location. It's a fun table, and the crane toy is a neat idea with good execution.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-card-game/

The art in the Lord of the Rings Card Game is really good.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I'm worried I'm going to stop seeing new tables in my area. For awhile I was seeing every new machine. Now the trendy pinbars are being choosey about which licenses they get. I haven't seen hobbit, WWE, Ghostbusters, whoa nellie(not upset about this), or any spooky machines. But I've seen multiple xmen, avengers, Metallica, kiss, GoT, etc.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

I wish they would do this as well. LotR is the machine that got me into pinball, but man... it sure is isn't aging well.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Doing it on a vault edition lets them focus their resources on getting experience with developing LCD rather than mixing it in with designing a table from scratch.

Yeah, this makes sense. After all, "The Pin" line of consumer machines that they sold was a stresstest for the SPIKE system.

I wonder if we'll see another main line machine out this year then. I'd assume yes, but maybe the Ghostbusters delays are holding them up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rest in peace really bad unlicensed voice work on the dark knight table, you will be missed.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Clouseau posted:

True enough. A barcade near me has Space Jam and the game is so sparse and shoddy looking that it honestly resembles one of those crappy plastic pinball games you can buy for your kids for 10 bucks.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Space Jam is honestly maybe the shittiest pin I've ever played, that kind of thing is how the Sega games got the rep they have.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I remember seeing South Park as a kid and wanting to play it, but was deterred by the giant "Must be 18+ to play" sign. Pretty sure that game would've killed any interest in the genre I had had I played it.

Niwrad posted:

Does Galloping Ghost have the pins out all the time? They used to have them in a separate room and only open certain times.

Couple days late on this, but they moved the pins into the main area well over a year ago. The former pin area got expanded into the main console room, for FGC meet ups.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

NuclearPotato posted:

I remember seeing South Park as a kid and wanting to play it, but was deterred by the giant "Must be 18+ to play" sign. Pretty sure that game would've killed any interest in the genre I had had I played it.

There's also a kid-friendly setting you can enable that censors a lot of the raunchier content. I remember playing this version in an arcade for a while, and I was happy when I finally found a machine that wasn't set on G-rated.

It wasn't a horrible game. Not great, but there are far worse out there.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Well, it looks like they are going to tear down Lanes 'n Games to build a condo complex, so pretty soon there won't be a single place in Boston with more then 1 table.

Niwrad posted:

I don't think they'll ever dump Pro models but I do wonder if we'll start getting more of these one off tables that are strictly Premium/LE. Seems like it's more profitable to sell 1,000 or so of the higher end models than a bunch of Pro models.

What exactly are Pro models?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Twister showed up at a local bar and that's a surprisingly decent Sega table. It's pretty much a rip-off of Whirlwind, even having the fan on top. There's quite a few multiball modes that are easy to get. The Twister multiball is one of the coolest I have seen. There's a spinner on the table with a magnet in the middle of it. Once you lock all the balls, the multiball mode begins and a ball falls down onto the magnet. 4 more balls fall down and attach to each side of the magnetized ball. Then the spinner starts spinning so you got this crazy pinball whirlwind before they all go flying across the table. It's insane!

Sega has a few decent tables. I really like X-Files, Independence Day and now I have to put Twister up there too

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Squashy Nipples posted:

Stern tables come in 3 editions, Pro: which is the "standard" edition. In some games this can be bare bones and lack some things. And Premium, which have either actually meaningful changes (like say Game of Throne's upper playfield, AC/DC's lower playfield) or maybe vanity things that are actually super cool like Drop Targets in AC/DC.

Finally there is Limited Edition which might have different art, be numbered and be signed by like a member of Metallica or something.

Each one is on a case by case basis, there are some where as far as I know (Metallica?) there is no reason why you'd want anything more than pro. And then there are ones like AC/DC where AC/DC pro is still a great game, but not like "one of the best tables I've ever played" like Premium. And then there are ones like Game of Thrones where actually I'm not sure but the higher end models look really cool.

Again, the pricing is that the higher end ones are stupid more expensive because they're like flying first class, sure it's better but is it really that much better?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squashy Nipples posted:

Well, it looks like they are going to tear down Lanes 'n Games to build a condo complex, so pretty soon there won't be a single place in Boston with more then 1 table.

What? Since when? gently caress. :cry:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

Pinball machines are more or less like cars. They come in different trim packages.
Varies a bit, but for the most part, new Stern tables come in three versions. Pro, Premium, and LE.

The Pro models are the base version and what you're most likely to see on route.

The Premium and LE models cost more, have additional features, etc.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The difference between the models can sometimes make the Pro better - GoT Pro is a faster game than the Premium/LE, and the upper playfield doesn't really add too much to it.

Metallica is probably the best example of no real gameplay difference, there's a few neat visual toys (like a hammer that hits the ball under the table) but the gameplay is virtually identical (there's a spinner on the premium/LEs too).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well I bit the bullet and bought a gold membership for the Steam version of Zaccaria, and after an hour playing some tables I have to say I'm really drat satisfied with my purchase. The physics feel even better than Pinball Arcade, the ball has spin and you can even set dirt and wear on the playfield to make the ball behave unpredictably.

The tables themselves are hit and miss, and they're all from the 70's-80's so there's no modern rulesets and they're all pretty simplistic. My favorite so far has been Magic Castle, I'd put it up there alongside Black Knight or Gorgar as a really good "classic" table.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

prefect posted:

What? Since when? gently caress. :cry:

We should meet up and play some pinball there before it's gone. I still have maybe 10 bucks worth of tokens sitting in a plastic cup that I should use up.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
I haven't played pinball in a long time, I was really into it in the early & mid 90's whenever I'd go to an arcade/movies etc and later on when I was in seedy bars & pool halls. I'd played Pinball FX on my xbox and enjoyed it but work/kids etc cut down most gaming time. After thinking about building a MAME cabinet with my spare PC I came across vpins and that itch for pinball came back, so I started building a mini cabinet the other day.

I'm not much for woodwork but happy with how it's coming together, cant wait to get the cabinet to a playable state once my buttons/encoder arrive.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Well I bit the bullet and bought a gold membership for the Steam version of Zaccaria, and after an hour playing some tables I have to say I'm really drat satisfied with my purchase. The physics feel even better than Pinball Arcade, the ball has spin and you can even set dirt and wear on the playfield to make the ball behave unpredictably.

The tables themselves are hit and miss, and they're all from the 70's-80's so there's no modern rulesets and they're all pretty simplistic. My favorite so far has been Magic Castle, I'd put it up there alongside Black Knight or Gorgar as a really good "classic" table.

Is the wear consistent, or does the ball just veer off-course randomly? On real worn tables you can learn where the grooves are and adjust accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
AC/DC dropped on the GearVR app. Its awesome, has the bell and lower play-field and everything. A little laggier than the other tables.