Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The best $2 I ever spent was on a play of Pinball Circus at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas. I think it was around 2010. I didn't realize at the time how rare and special that was. I only read about it later.

The love and effort that Anghelo put into it, just to have only two test versions made... heartbreaking.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

It was down when I visited Vegas for DEFCON :(

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
From what I've heard from folks who have been recently it is out more often than it is on.
It belongs in a museum!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It and every other rare game I wanted to try was down when I went to the hof.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

Snacksmaniac posted:

Sad but true.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Yeah I went in August and half the games were turned off, and almost all the rest had something not working properly. There was maybe 3 games in good condition, just felt like they were the newest ones that hadn't been broken yet.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It’s an impossible task I realize but I still am going to complain. I’d give em more slack if it was run by nicer people.

Did get to play the bond super LE though. Neat game.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah I went in August and half the games were turned off, and almost all the rest had something not working properly. There was maybe 3 games in good condition, just felt like they were the newest ones that hadn't been broken yet.

This is how I’ve always seen it. Makes me happy I live close enough to Atomic Pinball https://pinballmap.com/map/?by_location_id=20840. It doesn’t have the depth of old pins like PHoF, but the breadth of modern pins makes up for it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Despite having been on YouTube for a year apparently, this has only just shown up for me today and I thought perhaps some people here might like it as well since it's not making the rounds even with people who've listened to every cover of the BK2000 soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9vKjQ0c-7o

bort
Mar 13, 2003

That's amazing!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Black Knight 2000 music played by an orchestra with covid-related face masks has to be the youtube equivalent of a collector item.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

djfooboo posted:

This is how I’ve always seen it. Makes me happy I live close enough to Atomic Pinball https://pinballmap.com/map/?by_location_id=20840. It doesn’t have the depth of old pins like PHoF, but the breadth of modern pins makes up for it.

For a minute, the guy had a Goin Nuts machine. I took my photo with it lol.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Pinball internet is having a field day with American's nrw game but I'm glad American Pinball is trying new things. If this BBQ game doesn't work out hopefully they can recoup the loses by retheming it as Diner's, Drive Ins and Dives.

Also cool that they had the game on locations the same day as the announcement.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Even though the theme is a little lame, it looks like a fun game. Seems like Oursler went back to his Bram Stoker’s Dracula for playfield inspiration?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9VcN6io-YU

New Bowen Tutorial!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Even though the theme is a little lame, it looks like a fun game. Seems like Oursler went back to his Bram Stoker’s Dracula for playfield inspiration?

Better be a floating rack of ribs ball twirling across the field.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Bar near my place got some pinball, and now I can't stop playing! They got:

Medieval Madness
Lord of the Rings
Star Trek (2009 movie)
Aerosmith
Star Wars

I figure the state they're in must not be like they used to be, I can't imagine machines at a place like this are kept up as well as a dedicated pinball establishment, even if the company that rents them out provides maintenance. Still I can have a good time, I've gotten the free game pop sound on all of them except Star Trek and Aerosmith now.

My favourite is by far the Medieval, it's so cool and was satisfying to improve at since it felt harder than the others from a n00b perspective. I've been really consistent at getting 2 castles and extra ball to at the very least reach 10mil, and I've gotten to 20 a couple times. I feel like I could eventually get my initials on that one.

I got it on FX3 as well so I could enjoy all the features, so I've finished the wizard mode and the final boss in practice mode.

After a bunch of nights just partying next to those 5 machines with friends I'm compelled to head to one of those places a few hours away that does 3 hours for 20 bucks of free play and has like 50 machines.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
That's a great lineup, I think the only game there I'm kind of meh on is Aerosmith, but even that is a decent enough shooter.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Clouseau posted:

That's a great lineup, I think the only game there I'm kind of meh on is Aerosmith, but even that is a decent enough shooter.

I know that shooter Aerosmith game you mean, and enjoy it, but these 5 are all pinball machines, so I was talking about Aerosmith pinball, not the terminator style one.

The only other arcade game at this place is big buck hunter, but it's always got people lined up to pay and they hoot and holler as much as anyone there.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Oh, I meant the pinball machine! I was calling it a decent shooter in the sense that there's fun places to try to aim the ball in playing the game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Those early achievements in pinball (your first replay/free game, the first entry on the high score table) are some real good early dopamine hits, and there's still a whole lot of room to grow as a player. A lot can be gained just by trying to make sure you maintain control of the ball, hold it on your flipper if you can, and making deliberate shots.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I had an Aerosmith at our arcade for a while. It has that weird stern ruleset common to some early lcd games. The six ball multiball is really satisfying but otherwise it’s a lot of work
Edit. Oh man Metallica is a top ten game for me. We’ve had it two times and I want one again.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 18, 2024

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I really love the Aerosmith table, the thing that puts it over the edge to brilliance is that the ball lock mechanism misses sometimes and the little guy lords it over you.

So. Great.

Just remembered that a local bar getting that very same table is what rekindled my love for this crazy game! They replaced it with Metallica which had much better music and much worse play, then the Star Wars they still have.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 18, 2024

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I would love a Metallica at my haunt. As a high score chaser that has gotten multiple figurative mini heart attacks over the Fight / Flee mechanic on Godzilla, I feel like the Crank It Up mechanics might actually kill me and I need that experience in my life.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Clouseau posted:

Oh, I meant the pinball machine! I was calling it a decent shooter in the sense that there's fun places to try to aim the ball in playing the game.

I figured as soon as I clicked post :v:

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I wanted to start going to local tournaments but I wanted to get better so I rented a machine to practice (Foo Fighters Pro). I told myself I would start going once I hit 1 billion at home. It’s been almost 2 months and I haven’t even been close. I feel like I’m getting worse everyday. I watch people online just destroy this machine but I can’t seem to figure it out.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I'd say give another game a shot - sometimes you just don't end up vibing with a particular game.

FF is absolutely a game where that's been the case for me, I only have had one game ever where I was just killing it, most of the time I'm just bricking everything.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sunk Dunk posted:

I wanted to start going to local tournaments but I wanted to get better so I rented a machine to practice (Foo Fighters Pro). I told myself I would start going once I hit 1 billion at home. It’s been almost 2 months and I haven’t even been close. I feel like I’m getting worse everyday. I watch people online just destroy this machine but I can’t seem to figure it out.

To some degree it's going to depend on what skill level you're starting with. Like, I'm chasing 3B on Godzilla, but I'm chasing it because I know that I can do it (at least I like to believe so), I've done 2.3B before and that could've been like 2.7B if I didn't choke. 1B on Foo Fighters is a fairly high score - I would trust myself to get that over two months (I only ever had one real session on it where my best was about 600M), but I've also been playing a wide assortment of games regularly for years; and I am the kind of nerd that would grind out strats for optimal high score play, whereas you're more concerned with general "skill" and tournament performance rather than "haha dopamine go brrrr when initials on screen".

Playing one game over and over can in fact harm your skills, get you into ruts of certain behavior that could be actively harmful in tournaments. After all, you are going to be playing many different machines in tourneys, and so you're going to need practice on many as well. That will also help you learn more generalized skills and how to approach situations in a more generic sense rather than trying to work out the strats for one specific game.

If you have the ability to, I'd definitely try playing different games as a palate cleanser. Try to see how you can optimally deal with situations you're going to find yourself in repeatedly (catching returns, getting control, etc.).

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

TheMcD posted:

Playing one game over and over can in fact harm your skills, get you into ruts of certain behavior that could be actively harmful in tournaments. After all, you are going to be playing many different machines in tourneys, and so you're going to need practice on many as well. That will also help you learn more generalized skills and how to approach situations in a more generic sense rather than trying to work out the strats for one specific game.

This 100x.

Even practicing the same game heavily at home before a tournament can really gently caress you - the location could have it set up slightly differently (rubbers, pitch, whatever) and you miss your most regular shot you're practiced on and then it just throws you for the rest of the game.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

Sunk Dunk posted:

Just posting to say that anybody who is considering playing in a tournament should go do it! I remember the fear I had going into my first one, but I promise it's a really welcoming community and you'll come out wanting more no matter how well you do. A friend of mine just did his first one yesterday, got 41st out of 48th but had an awesome time and can't wait to go back.

Just remember that it's only pinball :)

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

I got to play an Attack for Mars remake where the flippers weren't crap. They were as responsive as new Sterns, it was amazing. I'm so used to weak, and misaligned flippers on the remakes, I didn't know how to play it at first. Place also had several classic Sterns that were really fun, Star Gazer was especially a fun game, wish the Seawitch was working, hopefully it'll be up next time I go.

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006
Seeing the words Star Gazer made me think of that PBS show and now I want a pinball game for it. I could listen to that theme song all day.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

jersey jack horkheimer

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Waldo138 posted:

Seeing the words Star Gazer made me think of that PBS show and now I want a pinball game for it. I could listen to that theme song all day.

** Activates "Keep Looking Up!" Mode **

Wasn't the show named "Star Hustlers" though?

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

** Activates "Keep Looking Up!" Mode **

Wasn't the show named "Star Hustlers" though?

It started as Star Hustler and became Star Gazer
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Gazers

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Just opened my email from yesterday.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

While "I Think You Should Leave" was an April Fools day pin, this is not

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/pinball-brothers-shares-pictures-of-upcoming-abba-pinball-machine

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Pinball FX is getting Knight Rider, Xena, and Battlestar Galactica.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I enjoy Abba alright, but I wonder how much an overlap there is with Abba fans and pin collectors. Also the backglass on the Arrival Edition is absolutely hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

oh hey a my brother my brother and me pinball table