Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

GAY RETARD posted:

Because people that are rich didn't get that way from dropping 50k on pinball simulations.

This is a similar reason to why most fangames suck.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Sorry to double-post, but where the gently caress did that money actually come from? My mathemacalculatron tells me that the average pledge was almost 94 dollars - dwarfing the previous day's 27.26! Perhaps one or more guys donated a large amount - if a big amount gets pulled, it won't be a complete disaster, but it won't be cool.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 3, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

MichiganCubbie posted:

I wonder about that. I swore that I read that it was using his likeness in new properties. It's sneaky, but the pinball machine isn't a new property.

I'm not Leonard J. Crabs, Big Time Real Lawyer, but whether or not it counts as a transformative product, and thus a new property, would be up for debate. The ensuing court case would probably cost enough time and money to bankrupt Farsight, even if they won.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 3, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

The Kins posted:

One has a connection with an area of the country Farsight is visiting next month (Either Milwaukee or Texas).

I had a theory, but this is the closest thing there's ever been to a Laverne and Shirley pinball table.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

My guesses are Cactus Canyon for the new table (Texas=cowboys plus I think we saw a glimpse of that table in a Farsight video), and Central Park for the rerelease.

Wasn't the final version of Cactus Canyon produced by The Pinball Factory, a company Farsight hasn't signed with?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

The Kins posted:

Xbox 360 - Farsight's publishing contract is an asset in Crave's bankruptancy case, which is why this has taken so long. Thankfully, court approval on a transfer to a new publisher is "VERY CLOSE".

Do they have a new publisher ready for when the transfer is approved, or are they not allowed to start looking for one until the approval? If the latter, do we think they'll have an easy time of finding a new publisher or a hard time?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 17, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Does Farsight have a new publsiher for the 360 version lined up for when the bankruptcy issues surrounding Crave's properties are cleared up? Someone said they recall reading that they did but couldn't remember where.

Also, when that happens, will they be able to release a bunch of 360 version DLC tables at once, or will that version be behind until they stop developing new tables for Pinball Arcade?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 27, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

MichiganCubbie posted:

I'm really interested to see how Cactus Canyon plays. I've never had the chance to play one. I wish they got the rights to make/get a completed ruleset, though.

Have they confirmed that they couldn't get the rights to get or make a complete ruleset? If so, why? Intractable rights holder? Exhorbitant cost? The latter would be harder to fix with Kickstarter - it's no Twilight Zone or Star Trek.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Is it at all possible that the judge will never make a decision, or deny the transfer of contract outright?

Also, Farsight's statement implies that they have a new publisher lined up. Do they? Can they? If not, how easy or hard would it be to find a new publisher? Would most publishers be open to it, or just go, "Oh, you mean that... game with the balls? Ehhhh..."

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 13, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Boxman posted:

Its been a few years since I've studied Bankruptcy law, but assuming they were doing everything through the court, I think the odds are pretty low of a denial. It would take some malfeasance to justify that, I think, since it affects not only Crave as a going concern, but the operations of other companies.

As for "when"...well, bankruptcy courts are busy. The judge has to rule on it eventually (unless Crave languishes in bankruptcy forever, which happens but not to smaller corporations like this I think), but I would guess this isn't a huge part of their business, so the court may not consider it a priority.

How much longer do you think it could take? Weeks? Months? Over a year?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Concerning music licensing: it's probably why they haven't done Party Zone yet. It has a music selection system and one of the songs is Pinball Wizard. They'd probably have to do a Kickstarter for it, and the only way that'd be worthwhile is if they got the rights to enough of The Who's Tommy so they could bring out that table too.

According to the latest newsletter, "It's opposite day! Table Pack 13 will include a new table that has the opposite of a space theme and a re-released table with a theme that will take you to into the darkness." Perhaps the opposite of space is time. I recall there being a time machine themed table that starts playing actual mechanical pling-plongs when you travel back from the 80's to the 50's.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

petewhitley posted:

Man it really sucks it's A.S.K. Homework doing those. Their engine sucks so bad. I'll even play the Gameprom stuff from time-to-time, but those Age of Pinball games are just worthless.

Has anyone played the Zaccaria collection yet to confirm how terrible it is? It's free for a limited time so you don't have to worry about giving them money.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Any news on the bankruptcy proceedings for Pinball Arcade's 360 version publisher? Any sign of progress?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

MarxCarl posted:

I'll agree that's it's easier to make shots with this upgrade, but I've run into a more issues than fixes with this release. I can consistently pull the plunger back and have the ball fall out of the shooter lane onto the floor, then the camera will lock onto a nice view of the floor. They added landscape mode, and modes will switch between portrait and landscape during gameplay if you move just the slightest bit. I've also had the ball pass thru the white flippers on Time Machine. All of this was not happening before the upgrade, which is a shame as I really like Time Machine.

Well, they at least seem willing to fix things, so shoot them an email about it. The email adress here worked for me.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Are they still working on the PC version, or have they just been sitting on the finished version until it got greenlit?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Edit: Didn't notice the Zaccaria discussion on the previous page. It's great to see that they didn't just give up on trying to please pinball fans.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

Microsoft requires a publisher for XBLA releases, and they apparently have a publisher lined up and ready to go but it's on hold until it's sorted in bankruptcy court.

The latest newsletter says they're gettingt closer. Of course, whether or not this just means 'we think we saw the judge smile for a moment at one point' is utterly unknown.

If/when they finally get it sorted out, would it be a bad idea for them to complain about how long it took and demand that the process be fixed to prevent other devs from being screwed over, or would it be a case of biting the hand that fed them?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Is there an ETA for the Steam version?

Also, the Genesis version of Action 52 wasn't as bad as the NES version, although Venetian Blinds for Atari 2600 is better than NES Action 52.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 27, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Fantastic Four, Paranormal and Civil War are out for FX2 on Steam.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

It looks like all the 360 DLC for Pinball Arcade has been pulled from the Xbox Live marketplace. You can still download PA but you'll only have the 4 starter tables.

Has anyone found out about why this happened?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I thought Raúl Juliá (Gomez for the Addams Family movie, on which the pinball table is based) refused to ever have his likeness licensed again, even after his death.

Also, does anyone know what's up with the 360 version's DLC? Why did it vanish? Has it come back, and if not, will it ever? And Farsight recently said Crave was finishing its bankruptcy process - has anything happened with that?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 20, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Original_Z posted:

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Adams Family is going to be a high kickstarter, around 100k or so to get the license if not more.

Thought experiment: likelihood of prices aside, what's the highest it could be while still succeeding? Keep in mind that Terminator 2 is a little' meh' and is just a now-or-never situation, while the Addams Family is legendary.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

Pinball Arcade has been removed from the 360 marketplace entirely now.

Have they said anything about the DLC or game deletions on any of the forums they post on?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Clouseau posted:

They're coming out with a pack of scripted 80s and earlier tables (e.g. Black Hole, etc) for the 3DS eventually.

Sorry to put you on a real emotional rollercoaster.

It is simultaneously coming out and never coming out until--

\____________________
Scheisse, not this again. That cat-in-a-box thing was just supposed to show how stupid the verdammt Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics is! And don't get me started on What the Bleep Do We Know!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

KamikazeJim posted:

I doubt it will affect previous users in any meaningful way, probably nothing more then a typical patch, although it might have to go through the submission process again because not only will it get a publisher change, but also a significant increase in version number.

Microsoft have said that releasing patches no longer requires $40,000 certifications. So at least there's that. Phil Fish said on Twitter that he didn't have high hopes for this being retroactive, but this turned out to be wrong.

Does anyone know roughly how long it'll take to go through the submission process from scratch with the base game and every table pack? How many months? Or even longer?

I can only hope the new indie program works out for them and the Microsoft doesn't just go, "We've carefully considered your application and decided that you are not eligible for this program. We are under no legal obligation to tell you why."

Edit: Apparently, GameInformer found out about the new indie program first and got Microsoft to confirm the news. According to this, Xbox 360 development requires debug consoles that are difficult to acquire for small groups. Microsoft's revoking of Crave's developer agreement was a dick move, and Farsight may not be out of the woods yet.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 27, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Microsoft has stated that while there is indeed a new indie program for the Xbox One, they will not confirm anything about such a program for the 360. So the 360 version may be permanently hosed after all.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 28, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Zeether posted:

They did have stuff put together originally, but the first Kickstarter failed because they were trying to do it for all the tables at once + the new Lawlor table.

Does Lawlor still want to do a new table with them, or has he dropped out?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

japtor posted:

I posted an interview with the Pro Pinball guys from in between the failed Kickstarter and this one a little while back, it mentioned that he was still on board.

I just got a reply from the on Kickstarter saying he is indeed still on board.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What's the strangest place any of you has gone to play pinball?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Der-Wreck posted:

One of the strangest places I've been was a bowling alley in Peterborough, ON. When my brother and I stepped in, it looked like the entire place was shut down. Not a light was on save for the ones over the front desk. No one was in there and it was completely quiet. We thought it was closed but then somebody just popped up out of the front desk and we just told him we were here to play pinball. He pointed us down this loooong hallway where the pinball machine was located. He didn't bother turning anything on for us. No lights, nothing. so we mosey on down there and it's just this near-pitch black corner with a couple of old, busted arcade machines and a half-working Demolition Man. The only light we had was what was coming off of the table, which wasn't a whole helluva lot.

Pinball at the Overlook Hotel.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

I once made a half-joking offer of £300 for a Revenge From Mars table at a run down seaside amusement arcade. They knocked me back because it was the only pinball table they had but y'know, coulda been fun.

When they knocked you back, how did they respond? Were they calm about it, or were they annoyed or angry? It's such an unusual situation that I have no idea how things could go.

This has gotten me thinking, especially after my question about strange places people have visited to play pinball. Has anyone made an offer to buy a table and gotten a strange response? Like 'no and you're banned from the premises' or 'okay, but only if (insest bizarre demand, possibly sexual)'?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 9, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Theory: if they ever get the rights to The Who's Tommy, the teaser image for it will be a black jpeg.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

PardonMeHippo posted:

Hey I just got the FX bundle, add me if you need a leaderboard buddy:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/pardonmehippo
Added you.

iRend posted:

Humble Pinball sale is over :(

Remember to add me as your friend if you picked it up!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/iRend

Remember to also add Gromit and Space Tractor! (I know there's someone else but my brain's not working properly after trying to beat my TNG score for a couple of hours)
And you.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Okay, people, time to guess. How much do you think the Addams Family Kickstarter will be asking for? Also, do you think they'll ever adress the rumors about Raul Julia?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 12, 2014

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Nurge posted:

Which rumors are those?

That Raul Julia stipulated in his will that his likeness never be used on or in another product ever again, or something similar.

Carecat posted:

Is it really 100k for a table license? It's not like pinball is even popular in the mainstream let alone Addams Family which has been off film and TV for over a decade, who else are they going to be able to sell it to?

Corporations do not behave like people. Which is concerning, because they have the same rights as people.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 12, 2014

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

prefect posted:

I love Elvira -- she's goofy and silly and completely aware of everything she's doing.

She was also very cool about offering a reasonable licensing price for the table conversions. She just wants people to play with her orbs.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

TheMcD posted:

I don't know if it's just bad luck, but every single op I had to deal with just did not give a single poo poo.

How common is this? What are the worst and/or strangest instances of this you guys have had to deal with? Have any of you ever had to bribe someone to fix something or get it fixed, for example?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

They probably both just need the money, and Raul Julia is dead so... probably not-so-much.

Ah, you haven't heard the rumors. It was believed that Raul Julia stipulated in his will that his likeness could never be used commercially again. It was also believed that his widow was also against it.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 13, 2014

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

If they've finally got Data East, I wonder if they could wrangle Super Bros Bros. if they made it a WiiU exclusive. That'd cost them sales, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Wait, do they even have the Sega license and just haven't used it yet like with the Data East license? If not, what are their chances of getting it?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 14, 2014