Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The physics aren't perfect, but right now they are good enough for me.

I've always hated pinball video games, in part because of how stupid the physics was. When my buddy convinced me to install PA through Steam though, I was blown away. I bought the first season and have been playing it a ton. Now I'm even having fantasies of building/buying a virtual pinball cabinet!

It's been fun to play pinball machines I haven't seen in a long time. I was never more than a casual pinball player, so I don't notice where the emulation breaks down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wait a minute... so they release modern pinball tables with unfinished code, and then patch them? if not, what is all this talk of "new code"?

Sounds like Pinball has learned some bad lessons from Video Game Development.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ok, so as a recent PA junkie, and player of 90's era machines, what is Pinball FX? It looks like the latest tables, are they fully licensed?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ah, good answers, thank you.

The revival of my interest in Pinball is pretty focused on "The Real Thing"; the mechanical nature of Pinball being an antidote to virtual-ness of modern video games. Plus nostalgia factor because I used to play pinball at my student union between classes during my undergrad.

I've always hated "pinball video games", so Pinball FX doesn't sound nearly as appealing as PA.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The only table I've gotten all of the Wizard Achievements on is Theatre of Magic, because they are reasonably attainable. Right now I'm learning Attack From Mars, and some of those Achievements are doozies. Getting that multiple hurry up bonus means getting every ramp shot filled to its max, and THEN hitting them all one after the other inside a 30 second window. That is totally beyond my skills at this point.

Speaking of AFM, any advice on getting that '5-Way Combo Shot' objective? Granted, I'm not a very good pinball player; but I've only ever gotten that achievement BY ACCIDENT. Yep, any time I've deliberately tried to earn it I drain like half way through.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

prefect posted:

I find this funny, because the "all eight illusions" and "grand finale" goals on Theatre of Magic are so far beyond my abilities that it's ridiculous. But I'm only one or two goals away from finishing Attack from Mars.

Five-way combo: this just means you have to hit any of the five lanes right after each other. If you can hit the same lane five times in a row, that counts. It's easiest when you shoot high-speed balls around the back of the table so that they don't hit the bumpers, which soak up time. Similarly, locking a ball means you're probably going to interrupt your combo because of the time taken up. If you get into a nice rhythm where you hit a few lanes in a row (I hope I'm getting the terminology right), just keep it up and don't try aiming for the saucer for a few shots.

My AFM problems are video mode (I hate all video modes because I suck at them :argh: -- this is why I don't even have the first-level achievement for Star Trek), and Conquer the Universe, because it's pretty tough for me to get a Super Jackpot reliably.

Yeah, I'm generally terrible at video modes, but I've finally figured out the ToM one; I can win the extra ball about 75% of the time, with the only obstacle being running out of time.

As for finishing the Grande Finale, if it makes you feel any better, I was on my last ball when I completed the finale, and the final shot went SDTM, ending the game. No victory laps for me! Also, this is the one table that I've played the most in real life (although I never got even remotely close to the Grande Finale on a real table).

I found some good advice on the table in the PA forums:
http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/350-TOM-Tactics-and-Strategies

The best one is to how handle that first shot in multiball. Instead of shooting with the right flipper, let it bounce off, and then catch and control with the left, and then take the shot. I now hit the 100-million jackpot about half of the time, up from probably 3-4% when I was taking the shot with the right flipper.

Clouseau posted:

In my experience it's safer to shoot for the chest from the left flipper, with flips from the right being a bit more dangerous.

What? My experience is the opposite! I only take the left flipper shot if the hole is exposed, otherwise the bounces drain too easily. Hitting the side of box with the right flipper will sometimes go SDTM, but I find it easy to nudge it back over to the right flipper.

DarthXaos posted:

One of the PAPA videos has one of the players pulling this off on the real thing during a competition game, so it's not completely unattainable.

I never said it wasn't attainable, just that it was way beyond my current skills.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I stopped by at Lanes And Games last night, they had Mustang. It was fun to play a brand new machine. The 360 spinner thing at the end of the long ramp was really cool.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Classic Arcade room at PAX East had three EM machines:

As mentioned, the PA booth on the Expo floor also had two tables, a Harley Davidson and a Ripley's. They were pimping the tablet versions really hard, got me to sign up to get some free tables for my GF's Kindle, even after I complained that the controls stank. When asked about Steam Cabinet Mode, he said that once the new Xbox version was done, they would get back to work on the PC version.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Huh, apparently someone opened a gallery of old EM machines like 5 minutes from my house and I had no idea.

If anyone's in MA: https://www.facebook.com/popbumperspinball

That's about 20 minutes from my house. It popped up on the Pinside map, while I was editing the entry for a lovely local bar (die Lynwood, DIE!), so I went to check it out a few weeks back. Nice place, the folks running it were super nice, and the tables were all in perfect working order. I don't enjoy the 70's era much, so I just played 5-6 games on each machine, and was totally done after about 45 minutes. It was really cool to play the Shatner-era Star Trek table, though.

Please go enjoy this place while it lasts.

Because it can't last, I can't imagine that it makes any money at all. :smith:

EDIT: fixed name of table that PA brought to PAX.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 15, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Acolyte! posted:

Did you go on Sunday? On Friday and Saturday they had Ripley's/Harley Davidson, but on Saturday Ripley's was having technical issues. The guy at the booth also said he expects the new lighting engine on PC in "2-3 months," so who knows considering Farsight Time.

I was there all weekend. And yes, it was Ripley's, not Twilight Zone. I only played the HD one.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Acolyte! posted:

I was kind of bummed that the PBA version of Harley Davidson doesn't vibrate the controller as much as the real table vibrates (or at all).

Yeah, it vibrated so much that the Harley model shook violently. The mechanism that raised and lowered it seemed to have a lot of lateral slop in it.

roffels posted:

I feel like such a nerd pointing this out, but the two with digital displays are not EM machines.

Um, where else but this thread would you point that out? Thanks for the correction.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Just got my best score ever in AFM in PA, 14.7 billion. I lit every objective except for Super Jackpot. I used to struggle with the 5-way combo, but I can pull that off now.

But I don't think I've EVER hit that Super Jackpot.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hey guys, remember when people making console games would push the limits of what the hardware could handle?

Remember that? :smith:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

goferchan posted:

They definitely use the exact same sound clip on the real table, not 100% sure about the Pinball Arcade version though. And to those people commenting on the "storyline", yeah, Junkyard has one of the most bizzaro and psychotic and beautiful ones of any table I've ever played. Shooting toast at a dog, assembling a spaceship out of garbage to chase after the evil Junkyard Bob,the freaky toilet sound effects, and the inexplicable shoulder devil/shoulder angel subtheme all add up to give this table a very special place in my heart.

I've never seen it in real life, but I immediately loved it for all those same reasons! That captive ball on a chain is a really neat trick.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Is there a definitive answer to "what is the best system to play Pinball Arcade on?"

One of my buddies enjoyed playing PA at my place, so much so that he wants to buy a gaming PC to play. In my mind, decent gaming PCs start at about $1000, so I'm thinking maybe a Playstation 4 or XBone would be a cheaper option? Is the Playstation version better then Steam?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

roffels posted:

Not to mention all the issues Farsight had with publishing on the 360, and your purchased tables on the PS3 don't migrate over to the PS4.

Wait a minute... he already has an Xbox 360, but we couldn't find Pinball Arcade to DL it... is there some other game service on the 360 besides XBLive?

Nurge posted:

I've been holding off on playing much, just waiting on the friends leaderboards on steam to become functional for a while now. I'm going to try and hammer out some more if they ever manage to fix that.

Heh? They seem to work fine on my PC. In fact, one of my Steam buddies and I were just comparing our high scores last night.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Same Great Paste posted:

For Junkyard, anyone have any deep strategies? Other than avoiding assembling the toast gun for as long as possible to keep the video mode the easy one, there aren't any real protips that I can figure out or find elsewhere.

It sure "feels like" I'm missing subtleties with the table, but damned if I can figure out what they are.

Heh, I came to opposite conclusion based on 20 minutes of play: that the toast gun was easier, so you should rush it. Guess I'm wrong. :)

Bought the season 3 pack pretty much just to play Junkyard. Not sure if I really like the ruleset, but its got some fun shots.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

roffels posted:

I hate AFM videomode. Mamushka followed quickly by a multiball works best for me.

Agreed, the AFM Video Mode is my least favorite part of AFM, and I LOVE AFM. I saw the extra ball once, but I couldn't get it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Does the Junkyard version of the AFM video mode give you a smart bomb? Didn't seem to for me.

Nope, no Bombs. Makes it that much harder :argh:

I have not seen Mamushka yet, though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

edit: Also where in the SoCal South Bay/LBC can I get a skritch to scratch my pinball itch? The pins around here are scarce! :(

http://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play

That map is very up to date for my area.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

What happened? why is it so rare?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You guys are weird, one of the things I love about TPA is that I can clearly hear all the sounds.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You've got to nudge it BEFORE it goes down the outlane... if it takes a weird bounce, there isn't much you can do, but most of time I see it taking this gentle arc up over and in. On AFM, I've got certain spots on the artwork I use as visual cues to know when it's going that way.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I LOVE AFM, but I've still never gotten a Multiball Super Jackpot, not even once. 6 times now I've completed every other requirement for wizard mode, except for that one. I just really struggle to make the ramp and orbit shots while juggling multiple balls, specially since it saves balls for like 10 seconds straight. I can usually hit 2 or 3 of the shots right away with the first ball, but once they start falling out of the jets the playfield is just too crowded for me to pull it off.

Niwrad posted:

Does anyone here play TPA on an Android tablet? I'm thinking of upgrading my old iPad to something like the Galaxy S but want to make sure TPA isn't weird on it. I'm also guessing I have to re-buy the tables?

They gave me a coupon at PAX that was a pack of 4 tables, but only for Android. You log in as normal, but your sets of "My Tables" are different by device.\

The graphics on my GF's Kindle HDX look pretty drat good! The controls kind of suck (specially nudging), and the physics is occasionally wonky. Its a fun diversion, but it doesn't feel as much like a simulation of real machines as it does on PC.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hey look, a Popeye "pinball" game.

You can phone in bids if you want to buy it:

http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2148199/fp48.cgi

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

VG-Robot posted:

EDIT: Oh, and don't get me started on the "Pro mode" bullshit. It is basically like making someone pay for cheat codes. If I hold down the square button on Zen pinball I can get an up close view of the table to see where everything is and get a nice view of the art. If I want to do the same thing with Farsight I have to pay? gently caress that.

Yeah, this is probably the one thing about that TPA pay-model that really pisses me off. I can see maybe paying more for cheat modes, but gently caress you I'd like to be able to look at the tables I already own.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My car is in the shop for a week and the rental company accidentally gave me a full size pick up truck... would be SOOO easy to transport something large. if only I had a reason to do that?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The only "ball through solid object" I've regularly seen in TPA is in AFM: if you shoot for the main saucer just as the barrier is coming down, it goes right through the back of the saucer structure and pops out into the bumpers behind it. If it then goes right into the back of the saucer hole, it acts like it went in the front, triggering anything you have lit.

This is usually a shot from the left flipper, at an angle across towards the right side of the main saucer.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

loving Pinball, man.

Yesterday I fired up TPA, started playing Theater of Magic. Scored the 100 Million multiball jackpot in the first 30 seconds (accidentally fell down the staircase with my second shot). Gonna be my highest scoring game yet, right?

Sigh. Fell apart after that, only to come alive on the third ball: scored the 100 million jackpot AGAIN and got three extra balls... only to peter out just short of the Grand Finale. My final score didn't even make the high score list. :(

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

You could take it to some place that can vacuum form a new ramp for you using the old one as a template, but that gets pricey for a one off.

supply and demand... why make just one? Have a small lot built, sell them yourself on Ebay, pay for the whole deal with sales.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

I doubt the market would be very big and it might be more trouble than it's worth. I'd definitely judge interest on pinside first in that case.

I was just talking out my rear end, I don't have any idea what reproduction parts cost. I suppose with 3D printing the toolmaking costs might be considerably lower then they used to be.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yay! Finally got my Multiball Super Jackpot in AFM! Rule the Universe was actually pretty easy once I got there.

This there a secret way to activate Cow Mode for Video Mode? I swear a few times the machine has given me notice of something to do with cows right when I launch the first ball.. maybe a flipper combo I accidentally pressed?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hmmm. The first one is in the instructions. I don't I could have possibly entered the second one by accident, though... too many button presses. Maybe I was imagining things, maybe it's a bug in TPA code.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Imagined posted:

Forgive me if this is only spiritually related to pinball, but do any of you own pachinko machines at home? What did you pay for yours? Is it still to fun to play after the first day or two? Considering getting one off Craigslist because my wife loves pachinko but wondering if the novelty will wear off since the gambling aspect doesn't really mean anything, sort of like owning your own slot machine..

I have two 60s era pachinko machines in my basement. One of them does work, but they are decorative/conversation pieces more then anything else. I'm going to restore the broken one once I finish like 398 other projects I have around the house.

The thing to remember is that a pachinko machine is a gambling device; so they are a lot less fun if you can't win any money.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Speaking of music, I played No Good Gofers for the first time the other night, and I think I recognized some of music ques from Junkyard. Did the same person do the music for both? Who makes the original music for pinball tables?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

PardonMeHippo posted:

I dig that old school sword and sorcery stylin.'

Yup. I love the backglass on the D&D one, too. TSR reused that image, I might have had it as a poster when I was a kid.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm not a big fan of early 70's machines, but this one looks great. If it works, $350 sounds like a steal.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Tyson Tomko posted:

Those were stock pics but yeah the ones he sent me look pretty good too. On that note, with the Squashy Nipples seal of approval I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this.

LOL, don't listen to me, I don't own a single machine. I'm just living vicariously here. :)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I wasn't but only because I didn't have a Kickstarter Account until 5 minutes ago. Thanks for the reminder.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Uhhhhh.... no. Even as a little kid in the 70s I quickly figured out that it doesn't matter how hard or how fast you press the flipper buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

prefect posted:

(The ability to do this is nigh-incomprehensible to me. :psyboom:)

Yeah, me too. I can't reliably pull off the pass where you bounce it off the bottom of the slingshot, in TPA or real life. Part of the problem is the price you pay for screwing up; it's pretty much an automatic drain.

EDIT: Its called a Post Pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ITbeGBdMA