Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the pro version of a Pinball Arcade table a la carte on Steam? The in-game 'buy table pack' option goes straight to a $4.99 price, which I assume is the non-pro version, and the DLC menu in Steam only shows the season packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

rockinricky posted:

Go into the list of tables in-game, like you're going to play. Scroll to the desired table, if the pro option is available, it will have a button that says 'Go Pro Buy Now'. It will give the price to upgrade to Pro, it should be $3.99 to upgrade.

Oh, so I first buy the non-Pro table, then buy an upgrade to Pro? Fair enough.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

What table are you trying to buy? Some don't have pro versions.

Well, I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I was definitely looking at ST:TNG and the Addams Family.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

What's the difference between pro and non-tables? I got the Season 1 pro pack during the sale, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Is it just table options? And doesn't your score stay off the leaderboards if you mess with the settings?

It's mostly just table options, yes. Specifically, being able to go into the Pro Menu and mess around with the table settings. There's also a protip section that describes a few ways to get a really high score and a 'look around the table' option that isn't that great. And yes, you can't get on the leaderboard if you activate the operator settings.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Does anyone else have an issue in Pinball Arcade with the plunger being really erratic? Sometimes I pull it the tiniest bit and the ball goes zooming, while other times I pull it all the way and the ball barely reaches the playfield. It makes skill shots based on pull strength frustrating to say the least.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

On the flip side of the question, what are the must-have tables from later seasons? I'm particularly fond of Medieval Madness because it seems like every shot does something; tables like ST:TNG and Twilight Zone have the unfortunate issue of often having poor shots just bounce off a post or something. And is Season 2 worth buying at half price? I've heard it has more than its share of clunkers.

Also, which tables have the improved ball physics? Big Shot, Road Trip, and Xenon are the ones I think have it... any others?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Well, I can definitely tell the ball physics have changed. I'm not sure if it's making my games better or worse yet, though. :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm kind of surprised they didn't clear scoreboards when they changed the table physics.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Anybody know if the Pinball Arcade folks have plans for a Linux version?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Domus posted:

and break arcade guns that are irreplaceable.

I hope they get arrested, and I hope the judge throws the book at them. The only reason to play a gun game in the arcade is to have guns that work properly. I still remember how upset I was when I put a quarter into a Point Blank machine and discovered the recoil mechanism didn't work - especially since I literally owned the home game.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

roffels posted:

Edit - sorry for the big image, trying to delete it but I don't see the option.

These days, most folks don't actually use the 'attach file' option (uploading images instead to imgur or the like), so I dunno what to say. For me, quoting your post, the attachment is framed in [timg] tags; if it appears in your actual edit text box, maybe you can add them?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Boxman posted:

So, my local pinball place is closing at the end of the month. I stopped in to say goodbye and :stare:

You should ask the owners what's going to happen to their machines. Maybe you can figure out how they managed to acquire something that the pinball wiki claims only ten of exist.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

BiggerJ posted:

Maybe they could overhaul it, replacing some Doctors and companions with newer ones.

Or change the faces to be legally distinct, like Midway had to do with the Gilligan's Island pinball?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm thinking of getting back to The Pinball Arcade after not having played it for a while. What are some good tables for all skill levels? I don't want my virtual quarter eaten in seconds, but I also don't want to be making a single relatively easy shot forever.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Quoting myself, since I didn't get any replies...

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm thinking of getting back to The Pinball Arcade after not having played it for a while. What are some good tables for all skill levels? I don't want my virtual quarter eaten in seconds, but I also don't want to be making a single relatively easy shot forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Man, I forgot how much fun Medieval Madness is. You pretty much hit anything and stuff happens. I'm sure there are pro strats, but it's very friendly to indiscriminate flailing.

On an unrelated note, as I was browsing the available tables, I noticed I apparently have high scores on tables I don't even own. Are those the built-in high scores or something?