Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Also, if you save your receipts and bring them back in, all of the money you've spent will go towards the purchase of any machine in the place!

That is kind of an amazing business model. I imagine it works out for them, but it somehow seems so counterintuitive.

e:

Authorman posted:

Regarding the hint for the next table pack one of them is probably Eight Ball Deluxe based on the hustling line. As for a jungle or mayan themed table I'm drawing a blank.

I mean Indiana Jones and Stargate both fit the theme but it's not going to be those.

Which system this is for? EBD is easily one of my favorite tables ever.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Forgot this thread was here, need to follow it more. Just got a crazy-good personal best on pinball arcade's version of bride of pinbot. My previous best was like 17m (I'm not very good), but today, I finally had five minutes or so where I had the left ramp shot really together, and ended up getting through metamorphosis to the big wheel, which I'd never done before. I hit billionaire's club on the first spin and hit the heart ramp almost entirely by luck off the very next shot. I ended up spinning b.c. again and almost ran out of time trying to nail the heart ramp shot again, except the loops I hit in lieu of making that shot gave me an extra ball, whose announcement (I think) paused the billionaire timer long enough to get another ball on my flipper and land the shot.

I will basically never play this well again.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DevCore posted:

A walk around tour of Pinballz Arcade here in Austin TX:

http://youtu.be/h5NO3jD47MI

I love this joint and haven't been in months, I should go again soon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just hit up Pinballz the other night. Still super bad. Got my poo poo kicked in by Black Knight as per usual. I dunno what it is, but I just cannot get my feet under me on that table. That carried over into one of the shortest Pinbot games I've ever had. I think I lost all three balls in like forty-five seconds. Only interesting spot was getting a ball stuck on Star Trek: The Next Generation in a spot where I couldn't even describe where it was stuck because apparently I couldn't remember the term kick-out hole. (it was behind the KOH in a little circle of bare wood surrounded by bumpers) I couldn't fit my hand in, the attendant couldn't fit their hand in, it wouldn't pop out when the attendant rocked the playfield back and forth, the attendant's second attempt with the hand finally got it out.

And if that's your most interesting moment, man, you're bad.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I've been playing a lot of tpa lately and I dunno what it is, but apparently I'm just bad at pinball or something---I've been trying out the Twilight Zone table and about 99% of all balls I encounter drain exactly the same way. It's kind of ridiculous. I can't play anything off my right flipper without bouncing it off this one target and immediately back down into the drain.

Is there a reasonable way around this? I guess I just somehow internalized the worst muscle memory/rhythm for dealing with balls coming out of that kickout, but I dunno. Advice?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://youtu.be/peeYBimFFlg?t=1285

A bizarre viewer write-in contest on an old episode of Price is Right shows a pinball table I've never seen before. Wild. I wonder how many still exist in the wild?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A color TV and two black and white TVs. For people who only watch TRIPLE TELEVISION.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Domus posted:

Well, we have four of them up on the shelves, so I'm guessing quite a lot. Pretty standard system 6 game.

I'm generally ignorant of what's really in circulation, since I just get to see what hits my local arcade and what pops up lurking in the corners of old memories.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm a sucker for those early 80s scifi themes.

Same. I can almost guarantee that my first physical table is going to be some sort of late 70s-early 80s sf/fantasy ridiculousness.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jorath posted:

I've got a strange science, which has an awesome 'monkey brain transfer' theme. http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2396

I've never seen that one before, but I can dig it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Is it just me, or is Firepower the biggest rear end-pain of a table out there? I'm not the greatest player out there by any stretch, but I've played it in real life and in Pinball Arcade and I can't keep a ball alive on that table for more than fifteen seconds or so.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Uh, shrug? Never played it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TheMcD posted:

Safecracker just dropped on Steam, and the first impression is that the music sounds like absolute crap, but it should still be fun.

I can't hit a goddamn thing on it, but I'm still having a pretty good time.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

How many more tables are slated to come out in Season 4?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

LordPants posted:

It's a crime Eightball Deluxe or whatever isn't in the game, imo.

But to be fair, one of the things that Visual Pinball does really well is EMs so you can just stock up on those with that.

8BD is one of my favorite tables since small times, I'm sad that there's already two pool-themed tables in PBA, since it basically means it's never getting in.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

What does the robot voice say in Bride Of Pinbot after she tells you "I can speak!" ("not now?" that would be quite something.)

Music-wise it's the early eighties sound effects for me including scratchy voice samples.

"Oh, no!"

efb

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I actually like Goin' Nuts, though there's one bank of targets I can't hit to save my life, I think it's the yellows.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've been playing Championship Pub off and on for a bit, and I lose every single fight I get into because the ball will take a bad hop and drain down the outlanes. What literally the gently caress is the deal. Is it just me?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tasteful Bulge posted:

I experienced a weird glitch with Pinball Arcade last night. I started the game under DX11, and everything seemed fine, until I opened Getaway. The game started playing in slow motion. Not choppy, but merely as if everything had slowed down to 1/3 of its speed. I managed to rack up a ridiculous score, but quit the game so as not to cheat the leaderboard. But with the game slowed down so much I was able to observe TPA's physics in action. Bear in mind this is all anecdotal based on my observation of a single game so I might be way off the mark.

Since TPA doesn't have a truly physics based engine, but rather a (albeit improving) simulated physics engine I was able to witness behavior that I had suspected for a long time, though again, it may just be confirmation bias. For example, I suspected that when a ball is heading towards an outlane it basically rolls the dice to determine if it can be saved or not. So I had a ball hit between the lanes, and at the slowed speed, it should have been easy enough to time the nudge to save it, but the ball actually blinked out and reappeared partially inside the outlane, too far to save but high enough you'd never notice at full speed.

I also suspected that the game increases its general difficulty depending on the same high scores or number of extra balls. That perhaps the game starts to bias a returning ball towards the outlanes or SDTM. I was on ball 2, with three extra balls in reserve, and a score just over a billion. I began to notice that balls coming out of the bumper area above and down the side of the supercharger ramp were no longer falling towards the right flipper, but rather the right slingshot, and hitting in a spot that blasted the balls straight for the left outlane. After losing an entire multiball mode and two of my extra balls to this, it stopped doing it and my balls were falling to the flipper again.

I get that their engine isn't perfect yet, but if my observations are true then we don't have as much control over the ball as we should. I'll try to replicate the glitch, and if I can, I'll record it so you can see what I'm talking about.

I've had the slowdown glitch before - I can't predict when and where it will happen, it's definitely been with a number of tables. I've also, if I remember correctly, seen the ball glitch around the bottom corner of the bumper and into the bottom of the inlane, so who the gently caress knows.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Got to stop by Pinballz earlier tonight for the first time in a long while, had one of the weirdest sets I've ever had on a Space Invaders table.

The games themselves were nothing to write home about, since I'm not a good player, but I matched twice in a row, and then on my third game the ball got stuck here

for like 15 seconds, just bouncing back and forth between that pop bumper and the wall right next to it, which, if that had been enough to hit replay, would have pushed it into all-time screwy pinball stories, but alas, it did not and I did not hit replay because loving outlane drains.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nurge posted:

Balls getting stuck like that are a major issue on some tables since they cause some switches/relays/whatever they are in the bumpers to overheat and melt if it goes on long enough.

Dang, I had no idea.

Clouseau posted:

I was playing on a WOZ with fairly underpowered slingshots and once the ball just got stuck in a pass back and forth between the two slings for about 30 seconds. By the time I pulled out my phone to record it, it finally went back into the game.

Yeah, I'm still getting used to the idea of having a phone that can reasonably record these sorts of things, so by the time I figured it was safe enough to start rummaging through my pockets for the thing, the moment passed.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was tempted to post this in grogs.txt, but decided against it, so here, have pingrogs.txt

quote:

EM's are like a "Cougar".....work and play work and play.......
SS's are like those "tight asses"....play and tilt......play and tilt.....

quote:

EM's are like the old school "ladies of the night" .. they enjoy what they are doing slowly without a lot of glitz, and your enjoyment is paramount even if it's "old school" tactics and methods.
SS's are like the new "ladies of the night" .. take your money .. make it move and satisfy you fast and kinky with whatever "special effects" you can handle .. and then move on to the next "game" asap.

LOL

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Domus posted:

Does male nudity have to be the whole body? 'Cause there's that backglass with wieners on it.

I think most women in pinball are supposed to be portrayed sexily, but end up looking creepy. Maybe it's because I'm not a lesbian, but I just find stuff like :nws: this unsettling.

Nah, it's creepy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Baby boomer dads are an awful people.

Swing by basically any guitar or music thread, bluesdads are a curse upon all hobbies.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Domus posted:

So I'm curious: Are they going to do the table as released, or as it was designed? 'Cause the ball lock of orbiting planets is pretty awesome.

Details?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The beta UI is loving ugly and terrible, and the fact that when it goes live I won't be able to use my freespinning mousewheel to randomly spin for a game anymore makes me sad.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't see the point in having both versions of El Dorado, but Fireball is loving great.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.avclub.com/article/here-are-alleged-renderings-new-ghostbusters-pinba-231704

Apparently more stuff is leaking about this Ghostbusters machine.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

"The Harley Hole" just sounds incredibly gross, which lines up with how I feel about the culture surrounding those bikes anyway. (HD - converting bluesdad money into godawful noise and shoddy workmanship since 19 something something)

When is/what is the next TPA table?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, I'm in the terrified-of-nudging camp. Whenever I try it in digital stuff to try and get a sense of "it's okay to push the machine a bit" it either does absolutely nothing to help my ball or it tilts immediately so I learn nothing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I just want to try playing it, myself.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

really who the gently caress sets up a pinball table and doesn't check the level?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Death save?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Huh, okay.

What table is this in the gif?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

The only thing it could be is that the licensing fees are much less than they thought, or it is already covered by Stern's contract, which just brings up questions of why they didn't have all of these things squared away before posting the kickstarter.

Maybe one guy tells them one thing, another guy says "no, what the gently caress is first guy talking about, read this clause in the contract"

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Wizard modes ... suck.

Mostly because I'm bad at games and the few times I get to one, I immediately drain while the mode is warming up.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You'd think that would have been the one to come out this week.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Robnoxious posted:

A poo poo film and a poo poo game even though the sounds were pretty awesome.

sorry about your case of wrong opinions, the doctors tell me it's terminal?

e: the game was p. bad, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

I wish I was skilled enough that I could start multiball and then bang out five ramp shots and then a castle shot during multiball so reliably that I could consider it an "exploit".

:smith:

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wait what the gently caress

The stern pinball arcade-alike is only for vr headset people?