Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I've got them all and they all work fine. Been playing them for the last couple hours now. Pinball Arcade is seriously the most addicting game I've ever come across. So much nostalgia mixed within just great games. I'm actually looking to pick up a physical machine or two from the game if I can get the right price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Zip posted:

It seems like the game plays faster now on ios? anyone else noticed this?

Yeah, the ball is much more bouncy. Plays nothing like a pinball, more like a superball. Get some odd games with it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MarxCarl posted:

Stern also just released details on their Amazon exclusive Transformers table, which is interesting to say the least.

Disappointing. I get that they want to make it more affordable for more people, but it looks incredibly cheap. Just feel like if someone is going to make the investment into a pinball machine, they'd grab one of much higher quality for a little more. It actually seems overpriced considering it's not the movie version of Transormers either.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Not sure if anyone knows this, but what are the odds of Jersey Jack actually releasing the machine they've been working on? From everything I've seen, Wizard of Oz looks amazing. The LCD screen is a nice modern addition. And I'd love to see a high end pinball company get going with Stern moving to cheap crap.

If they release it, I plan on buying one. But not willing to throw down a deposit at the moment.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Der-Wreck posted:

I was talking to somebody who had pre-ordered the machine and they told me JJP has been asking for more money on top of the pre-order payment without providing a solid release date. Don't know if that bodes well for them. The table looks pretty ambitious for a first go so hopefully they can get release without dumping a ton of money into it. I know the owner of the pinball cafe had ordered one when first announced, back when they said it would be coming out in August, but he cancelled. I think it was because there was little response from JPP and their progress as well as the hefty price tag.

Yeah, I've heard similar stuff. I guess I don't see how they can possibly be profitable taking 3+ years to build a single pinball machine. You have to wonder at what point funding dries up when you have no revenue besides pre-order deposits.

I hope I'm wrong as I'd love to see them get up and running. But their secrecy with everything has me skeptical. If things are moving along smoothly, why not be open about that?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Just about 100% positive this will come out. The big question is when. Those who have put down a deposit are big believer in Jack and I think Jack would give the bird to Stern without having a backup business in mind.

I hope so. I just think it's weird they want so much money up front. And the fact they are so secretive about progress. I know they have a lot of boxes and parts in the factory, but I think the code and integration are huge aspects of building the machine and we've heard of almost no progress. It still feels a long ways away.

Glad to see they are thinking of an original pin though. Never been a big fan of the licensed ones and feel the original ones give more leeway and more money to put into the quality of the machine. Many of my favorites are original and I've never had a licensed pinball machine lure me into playing it. I just want quality and good play.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone know of a place that makes or can make the cabinet art decals? I know there are some out there for the more popular machines, but looking for one of Dr. Dude. Basically the front is in crappy shape and want to replace it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MarxCarl posted:

Have you tried over at Pinside.com? Someone there may have one or know where to get one. They have a thread with a bunch of online suppliers - who may have something - http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/online-pinball-parts-shops

Barring anyone having new old stock or a repro, I'd think your best bet would be someplace that did vinyl car wraps. I'd stay local because you could probably talk them into doing it as a one off, if there's a copyright notice on the art that may scare some places off. And talking art, I don't know what a shop would want or have to do to what you have to make the piece work, so that may jack up the price.

Thanks to you and Bloody for the recommendations. Didn't realize how many parts places were out there.

Never thought about the vinyl car wrap idea, sounds interesting though. Do you know of people who have done that before? Here is a picture of the machine front that has the problem. It's unfortunate because the rest of the machine is in good shape, especially the playfield.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks again for the help, contacting those guys right away. I haven't bought the machine yet. It's one of the few I've found that have all the parts working and a good playfield available. Shame on the cabinet though. With the price being good, I was hoping I could purchase it and fix that up even if it cost a few bucks.

Part of me though is wondering if I should just pass and put that money into a nicer machine that has parts readily available and wouldn't be a problem down the road. Monster Bash seems way out of my price range, but Twilight Zone and TOTAN would be great to have. Little scared that TZ will jump in price once it's released on devices.

Does anyone here own one of the more expensive machines? I'm trying to convince myself that it's not a total waste of money as I'd be able to sell it for something if times got rough. That these things are unlikely to lose too much value if it's kept up.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's really interesting about the Williams/Bally games. There are some gems in that bunch that I'd think would be in huge demand with a modern upgrade. Take the same table, upgrade parts, maybe add some tweaks, put in an LCD monitor and wow.

I'm curious, are the themes/licenses that important to people? It seems that's the route Stern takes and I've just never been drawn to a pinball machine based on a specific license. Sure I dig artwork and playfields, but I've never been interested in a machine just because it was made after a TV show or band I like. I think they'd be better off saving the money on the licenses and just going with originals.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSOtNer0zbQ

I suppose I should Google it, but I wonder how much this would cost compared to buying an older, common pin.

I think my opinion would be different if the cabinet didn't look so cheap. Should not have gone with the red at all. Looks like a kids toy made out of cheap plastic from a distance. Not a $3000 home pinball machine. I hope they offer that in either black or dark blue.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Original_Z posted:

In the August Retro Gaming Roundup podcast (episode 50), they interview Jersey Jack and ask him about this. I don't remember the exact amount, but the licensing costs for a pin are actually not that much, of course it depends on the license but I was surprised at how low it was in average.

It's a good interview overall, might be worth checking out if you have the chance.

That makes more sense then. I didn't really think of the operators. Maybe it's just that I haven't been into many of the new Stern ones with the exception of Tron. The band ones feel bland to me and I was just assuming the cost to license them and the music had to be a little high (especially Rolling Stones).

Personally, I think a zombie machine would be phenomenal. So many ways to do it and it feels like we're zombies are really popular these days.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a list of tables they have for the future? Even ones way out there.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The playfield looks nice on the Avengers. I'm not into the comic book stuff so I'm sure others will know if it's represented better. But that big Hulk piece in the middle is pretty drat cool. The Pro is the best looking one of the bunch.

Jersey Jack is going to start taking pre-orders for another machine before their other one is even close to being released. Like I've said, I hope it works out for everyone, but just don't get good vibes from them.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does the real TZ not have a ball save? I thought most machines had them by then. Having a blast but that thing can be brutal.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Atomic Mitten posted:

There are apparently some firmwares with ball savers but they were in later ROMs (and present in "H" ROMs like 9.4H - home editions, more here) but I think they are trying to keep to stock launch tables minus huge bugs.

That makes sense. I could have sworn that the machines I've played had the ball save enabled. Don't mind it this way, just wondering if they had made a mistake or not.

I'm actually kind of close to achieving my dream of owning a TZ. A lot of them have faded cabinets though and wondering if anyone has experience putting on decals. It seems like a huge task and I don't know if I have the nerves to put on a $250 decal straight.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

When you hit the ball with the upper right flipper, immediately hit the left flipper. It expands the hole for where the camera is.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

cat with hands posted:

Finally got my first decent game today on Twilight zone at 1.7 b.

It's kinda like ToM where you don't feel like you're getting big points but starting modes and keeping the ball in play racks up the score. Good aim is a lot more important compared to ToM though.

Just got one short of 1.4b. First time getting Lost in the Zone on PA. I still don't understand the best route to take or the best way to stack points. Played it a lot on PA now and in person and wish there was an easier way to pick up on the rules.

Agree on the aim. It's one game where you just can't get away with many mistakes. I do think once you master the camera shot, the game gets much easier. The piano shot seems much easier on PA than it does in person.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Curious, do any of you go for the skill shots on TZ? I feel the risk is too high for little reward. There is like a 10-20% chance you'll lose the ball without having a chance to get a flipper on it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Put up a 3.6 billion game last night. Was good for something like 60th all-time. Those high scoring games can take forever to play though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

We have the same problem here in Chicago. It's practically impossible to open an arcade because of laws so they are all out in the far suburbs (the ones that allow them). Obviously we aren't in the golden age of arcades anymore, but an unreported aspect of their downfall is how they got legislated out of so many areas.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The laws loosened up a tiny bit. You used to not be able to have more than 4 machines unless you were operating out of a big commercial building (a mall for instance). Now you are allowed to have more than 4 if you have a tavern license. Emporium were the one's that headed that change I believe and they went through hell to make it happen.

Problem is that you just can't get a tavern license. They are pretty much impossible (I've been through the process) in Chicago unless you are related to a member of the board or bribe someone a lot of money. So to open a place, you have to purchase an existing business with a tavern license. The prices are astronomical now for even dive bars because that tavern license is so coveted. There is also an annual charge you have to pay the city which I believe is $200 per machine.

Emporium is nice but I don't think they pull anything from their machines. Fees for maintaining and taxes likely eat that up. It's more a draw to the bar. I think we could see more "barcades" open up. But they've made it real difficult to do anything in the city and the legal hoops you have to jump through puts an incredibly high barrier of entry.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Given the history, the idea of Chicago, of all places, being a difficult place to open a pinball parlor blows my mind. We are crawling with them in the Pacific Northwest, of varying degrees of quality.

I think some of the old laws were put in place originally to curb the mob which used them to launder money. But now, it's just a clusterfuck to get anything built in the city. Too many officials getting kickbacks through the stuff.

The suburbs are growing though. Galloping Ghost is out in Brookfield and doing great. They mostly have arcade games (like 300) but have been adding pinball and are planning to get more. A solid Twilight Zone, Funhouse, and some others on the floor. Guess they are getting a Creature from the Black Lagoon and Tales from the Crypt real soon. Some older machines to play with as well and at $15 for free play, you can get in a couple hours of pinball and have it be well worth it. I really hope they can expand their pinball selection because it'd make the trip out there worth it more.

There is a place called No Limit in Algonquin but I've heard some bad stuff about machines being out of order.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I can't get portrait mode either on my iPad. Also, is it normal that you can't use both flippers at the same time in STTNG? Never played the physical version.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Clouseau posted:

Both flippers work for me and I can get portrait. Which iPad do you have? I have the 3. Maybe they didn't bother testing it on different platforms, though this had the same large beta TZ did right?

Both flippers work, but I can't use them at the same time. I'm on an iPad 2.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone have issues with the pause screen on the Nexus 10? It looks great on my iPad 2 but on the Nexus 10 the menu is super small. Almost seems like they have a fixed size and the screen just has so many pixels that it makes it tiny.

Got STTNG working properly on mine. Not sure what the problem was but I uninstalled and re-installed the app and it works fine.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FishBulb posted:

Maybe instead of worrying about what tables they're going to put out in a few months they should fix their poo poo and give people the tables they've already paid for.

I agree. Plus it seems like there are a ton of bugs out there. I'm done buying new tables till some of this garbage is sorted out.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Great news, Attack from Mars is a favorite of mine. Never heard of Genie and won't be buying it. How do they decide what machines to make? Can't wait for Dr. Dude to get released.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FishBulb posted:

I think you're going to buy Genie.

But at least you'll get Attack From Mars for free.

Ahhhh...I'm an idiot. Well at least I'll have another game on my iPad.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I just looked up Pinballz and I wish I lived in Texas. That place looks absolutely incredible. It looks like the machines are kept up nicely.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Der-Wreck posted:

You and me both. Many of Lawlor's tables are too busy and have a lot of stop'n'go play that I'm not too big on. I like tables that flow and you can make lots of ramp and loop shots. Lawlor likes to have a lot of eject holes and things to grab the ball. Also he has a lot of shots that can only be made from an upper play field flipper. The super jackpot on Ripley's and I think the player piano on TZ are almost only accessible from the upper play field flippers.

Another problem was that many designers were beginning to emulate Lawlor's playfield complexity after TAF and TZ. Just look at Cirqus Voltaire and TOTAN. Crazy rule sets and tons of complicated shots though John Popadiuk does know how to create a flowing table with lots of loops to keep the ball in action.

Not to say he's a bad designer but I agree that a lot of pinball nerds just absolutely go hog wild over his designs when there are plenty of great, overlooked designers like John Trudeau and George Gomez.

I get what you're saying. I do think he gets a bit overrated and others are not given the credit they deserve. But I'm also a huge TZ fan and enjoy stop'n'go games. The complicated shots take a long time to get good at, but once you do, there aren't more rewarding tables than his.

It always comes down to what you want out of a game. I think Lawlor's tables are crappy if you're a casual player, but great if you're someone who is going to hammer away at a machine for a long time. I think that's why they are so popular now among homeowners.

By the way, does anyone have some feedback on Avengers? Was tempted to go up to the burbs and play it the other day but interested to hear what others have to say about it first.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

Like I mentioned above, the playfield is pretty much X-Men meets Arabian Nights. You have to collect your Avengers by hitting each Avenger's target four times; Hulk is by far the easiest one to collect, as is the Hulk multiball (though more often than not your ball will get stuck under one of Hulk's fists. I haven't played it much, but aside from ripping off TOTAN, it's a fun table. I'd say it's a better table than X-Men. Go check it out.

Sweet. All the videos I've seen of it make it look stunning. Love the lighting on it. Someone on Pinside posted this which gives a nice view of gameplay as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yraVwcA2z-I

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The only TOTAN aspect I see is the cube. The rules seem far more in line with Monster Bash.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Beelzebozo posted:

…which is a design rip-off of Medieval Madness. There's nothing new under the sun, guys.

I agree. There's only so many ways to make a pinball machine without ripping off an idea from somewhere. I've never had a problem with it as long as I'm a fan of those rules and the game varies enough to warrant its own table.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are there many tables left that would require a big licensing fee? I'm talking about tables that would have high demand like Addams Family. The only other one I can think of is Indiana Jones.

There are still a ton of great tables they can make that wouldn't require massive licensing. Whirlwind, Cactus Canyon, White Water, Road Show, Fish Tales, Safe Cracker and so on. I think going after Addams Family is good because it was such an important machine. But outside of that, I'd rather their focus be on more of these attainable titles that are just as fun and popular.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Zeether posted:

Data East's non licensed property tables (what few they had) would be great too but Checkpoint would be hard to get because of the Porsche stuff on it.

Not a fan of their non-licensed stuff. But would their licensed stuff be that hard? Sure Guns 'N Roses and Jurassic Park are out, but would Tales from the Crypt be tough?

Got a chance to play Avengers finally. Fun game but they really hosed up with the Tesseract. Had the potential to be a great playfield toy and it looks like cheap junk. Saw some guys on Pinside already making their own mods using a golf ball holder, frosted glass, and one of those spring loaded lights you find in squeeze toys. I also don't get why Stern is so adamant about making their cabinets and artwork look so corny.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think he got Roller Coaster Tycoon confused with Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Didn't seem like he knew much about the virtual stuff. Honestly, while he was fine, they should have had Gomez doing the interviews. He's much more knowledgeable and I think comes across better to the public. Gary has that used car salesman vibe while George just sounds like a passionate guy.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Haven't played Attack from Mars in real life in forever. Is it filled with weird magnets or are the physics just horrible? The ball does some weird stuff.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Genie is a pretty cool table, I've never played a real life version. I think its now my favorite old school PA table. (Out of like Black Hole, Black Knight, Gorgar, etc.)

The ball jumps from spot to spot sometimes. Might just be my iPad. Going to uninstall and re-insall the app. I get that problems sometimes when an update for another app comes through in the middle of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah, Avengers is really tough. I guess there are some minor fixes you can do to the machine to make some of the shots easier. But I don't know how anyone advances deep in the game on 3 balls. Which is sad because some of the deeper parts of the game are amazing. The VS modes have lighting that will blow you away.