Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FishBulb posted:

I really like Tales of Arabian Nights on Williams collection for some reason even though the loving Harem goal is broken like a two bit whore

I thought that was only me. I swear I kept going back to the instructions to double check if I was doing anything wrong for activating it. I could clean up the rest of the table and couldn't activate the harem multiball to save my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

I'm really getting pissed off at Firepower on the Williams Collection. I'm trying to do the Wizard Goal of getting the 50,000 point FIREPOWER bonus, but it's not happening. I know what to do, but the ball seems to have a mind of it's own and wants to either not hit the POWER targets on the right side of the field or it will find some way of falling directly down the middle of the field or go off the sides. It doesn't help that you have to do the bonus four or five times ON ONE loving BALL to get it. :argh:

For some reason I always have trouble with that table too. That wide open playfield with distant targets and huge traps for the ball just kills me. Probably my least favorite table in the collection other than Jive Time which is only on there for the historical curiosity.

While I'm posting has anyone tried Dream Pinball 3D? The tables don't look horrible although they might be a bit busy. Anyone have any experience with how it plays? It looks like you can download it for $3.50 so it's not a huge investment to try it out but I thought I'd ask.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sizone posted:

Except the likelyhood of the ball quantum tunneling, going through the glass and outside of the table on Pin-Bot and Whirlwind. I remember the ball hitting the glass a lot on real Pin-Bot tables, but I don't remember it ever going though it.

What? You've never experienced a real ball rebounding from a non-kicking surface with much more force than it impacted with? So much force that occasionally it reaches relativistic velocities and passes through obstacles on the table and sometimes even the boundary of the universe?

Weirdo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chunderbucket posted:

Haha, I got the, uhh... 'developer' of that godawful Indie pinball game to answer my question, "Why does this game exist?":

That video makes me wonder if they've ever seen an actual pinball machine before.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

iastudent posted:

For all you video pinball aficionados, I'm just gonna crosspost this from the Playstation Import Megathread:

If you have a JP PSN account, and they're not that hard to set up if you don't, it's worth a look at that price. The same guy in charge of our share group did a first-look at the tables included.

Thanks for cross posting that. I wasn't going to since I wasn't sure if this thread would be interested in a ten year old pinball game that would be tough to get for the majority of them.

The European release was "Pinball Power" FWIW. And the developer is Little Wing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Upon searching a bit more, there's also a Dreamcast version, and playing imports on Dreamcast is super easy! And as of right now there's a few copies available for cheap on eBay.

Aha! So it did exist. I found references to it but for someone reason actual copies weren't coming up in my searches.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just got a Wii yesterday and was thinking of picking up the Williams Collection for it. Amazon has one used real cheap, but I wondered if I'm painting myself into a corner getting a used copy. Is there some digital downloads or something associated with it that I might not be able to get?

Nope. For the pinball hall of fame collections even on the consoles that feature heavy download support there really isn't anything. You won't have an issue.

FWIW the Wii got a port of the Pinball Hall of Fame Gottlieb collection also. I think the tables are better in the Williams collection but the Gottlieb collection is just as well done.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think there's something wrong with me. My biggest problem with Pinball FX's Rome table isn't the poorly defined ramp boundaries or the low scoring mode that's easy to activate and locks you out of advancing other things for thirty seconds. What drives me nuts is how they've mixed Greek and Roman on the table. They're not the same thing, Zen! :argh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Not that I think many people here care, but Zen Pinball for the Wii U's online leaderboards have finally been fixed. You have to play a game to get your score to register though. Right now I'm proud that my middling scores are top of the charts. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

That Humble bundle is ridiculous. I already had some of them but still added 18 tables for $6. Just played through 8 different Marvel themed tables. Definitely prefer TPA, but some of them (Hulk especially) were pretty drat fun. A nice kinda break from the (fake) real thing.

I had three quarters of them but it was eight tables on the Xbox 360, eight tables on the Wii U, and two tables on the PC. I figured I might as well get the other eight tables for $6 and double dip on the other sixteen to add them to my Steam account.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is it me or is Pinball FX2's Ms. Splosionman really easy? My third attempt resulted in my highest score ever on Pinball FX table thanks to two extra balls and almost non-stop multiballs. I don't even think I did particularly well since I had trouble completing some of the modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LordPants posted:

How do you abuse the extra balls in SS i'm pretty amateur.

Running up the spinner or the bonus multiplier activate the target up the ramp on the back right side (Edit: drat it, I checked the rule sheet in Pinball Arcade before I posted about the drop targets so I could refresh my memory but apparently it's wrong). It's a little bit of a pain to get used to, but once you've got it you can essentially play Space Shuttle forever. The easiest way to do it is to get the multiball in play because you're bound to make a few balls bounce up that lane at an odd angle to get the drop targets. The drains are really forgiving on that table so you can just go nuts, save one ball, and then get the multiball going again with minimal effort.

I'm not terrific at pinball myself, but Space Shuttle is a great table to learn on. It's really gentle, missed shots generally don't shoot back down the drain, and the extras are really easy to trigger. It's the first table that I felt I couldn't play any more because it was too easy.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 21, 2014