Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Last year, I almost sold a Maverick(Anti-semite edition) machine that needed some work for $400. Then I started looking for another table recently and was shocked by how much prices have went up. It's going to be way cheaper to fix Maverick. Luckily the only guy I quoted $400 to thought it was still too high. (He wasn't a serious buyer and pretty much looking for someone to practically give him a machine.

That being said. I need a large data east dot matrix display. And does anyone know where to look for other Maverick parts? I think I need a motor for the paddlewheel and there's a switch that needs fixed. I can be more specific if anyone actually has any leads? Ebay didn't have the parts I need.

This particular dot matrix display is a 192X64. Are there any 3rd party solutions as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

ponzicar posted:

Anti-semite edition?

Mel Gibson movie version of Maverick.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

MarxCarl posted:

There's the DMD extender from here:
http://www.drpinball.co.uk/. Which guys on Pinside are using. Looks pretty cool. There was also a thread on Pinside about the Stern Simpsons redemption game Kooky Carnival, I think? and that supposedly used that size DMD.

Oh man, I love you.
The dmd extender is exactly what I need. There's an installation guide and....
a link to video of one in Maverick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Qz6wVdnlQ
The video isn't anything fancy. It's purely just a demonstration of a dot matrix replacement.

This video however is pretty cool....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohvnc7p7K_c
Projected display of the dmd.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

The entire point of pinball is to concentrate and make good shots consistently, not flail around trying to juggle three or four balls at a time.

I thought the entire point of pinball was leisure and demonstration of wealth. I'm doing it wrong:(

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

breaks posted:

It's like when somebody else's little kid shows you a picture they drew and your eyes get a little wider and you say "ohhh, that's wonderful," while you're thinking "holy gently caress what the hell is this supposed to be, what am I supposed to say about this?"

Pretty sure it's a little too early to judge a game as being bad from one screenshot with no context.
Not directing that at just you.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I finally got around to changing out the bulbs in my TAF table. After I got done, Thing wasn't working properly, and now I'm having dot matrix artifacts. The dot matrix isn't missing any lines or dots. It's randomly turning dots on that shouldn't be on.

As for thing, he's stuck halfway out. When the ball lands in the switch. It recognizes the ball. Gomez acknowledges it:), but thing doesn't do anything. At first first he wasn't doing anything. Then once he went halfway out and stopped.

The problem is it's been month since I've played and didn't test the machine before I changed the bulbs. So I don't know if it's from sitting, or from me messing around under the hood.

Also, the batteries were leaking. I swapped batteries, but the bottom pads corroded on 2 of the battery holders and broke off. Had to rig up some wire to force battery connections.

EDIT - Found where a ground had came out of a wire nut. I also pulled some bent diodes up that looked like they might have caused grounding problems. Thing is correctly working again. I noticed however that my upper left flipper isn't working, and some of my lights still aren't working. Also noticed my magnets are no longer working.

My display is still spitting out extra dots, too.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 26, 2013

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

As someone that spends a lot of time looking at physical prices of machines, I can tell that Pinball Arcade tables have an increased demand. It's weird, because the mythical status tables that don't have Pinball Arcade realeases also have increased demand(Addams Family). If you look at the average tier tables and compare them to similar tables that have Pinball Arcade releases you can see the difference. Black Rose, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Bram Stoker's Dracula are examples of tables that I think would see a spike in prices if they were released on TPA.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I could see Black Rose being a pain on a virtual table with an obstructed view from that center rail. Hopefully, it's handled well.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I have 3 machines right now. An Addams Family, Maverick, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Addams Family Machine was working when I got it, but it a few bulbs here and there and it has several cosmetic flaws. I played it for a long time, but eventually it got buried and ignored. My passion for pinball has been rekindled, and now I want to fix it up nicely.

Maverick never worked properly. The DMD had several lines out. The Paddle wheel wouldn't pick balls up, and it has a few other problems still.

I just recently picked up the TMNT table and it needs some bulbs, rubber, and some touch up, but otherwise plays great.

I know I can and have gotten answers to some of my problems here already, but it's made me realize the OP doesn't provide much information for the care and repair of physical machines.

It would be nice to have links or guides for this stuff in the OP.

Playfield maintenance and restoration. Parts suppliers. Repairs and modifications. Or at least links to someone that can guide us in these matters:)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Domus posted:

Well, I'm a pinball tech, and I know WPC inside and out and backwards, so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have with problems. As for parts, marcospecialties.com , bayareaamusements.com , and mad-amusements.com will have almost any part that exists.

It sucks for your maverick, though, because those DMDs are non-standard and cost a bloody fortune.

I plan on doing what this person did....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Qz6wVdnlQ
It's a dmd extender that was linked to me earlier in this thread driving an lcd display.

Here's a question.
What should I do for basic playfield maintenance? Clean it? Wax it? What do I use? How often?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Clouseau posted:

In some other pinball news, Jersey Jack has announced they have an "epic" announcement next week that they're making at an expo in London. General guesses have been that they convinced Lawlor to design their third table, or that they landed Harry Potter (or both). A new Lawlor table on a JJP budget would be a great treat. Ritchie is doing perfectly fine at Stern, but Lawlor's better tables always relied on neat toys and more expensive gimmicks.

A Harry Potter table would be a pretty great get for them too.

I generally don't like any of the IPs that pinball machines have used for the last 10 or more years. I even like Harry Potter, but don't really care for a Harry Potter pinball machine. I think it's the artwork that is used for the tables that turns me off. Stern I guess is the big offender to me. I didn't mind JJ's Wizard of Oz, but I haven't been within miles of it in person.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

That is fantastic and exactly what I needed.

Bad news about Maverick. I went to turn it on. It's been a long time and when I did, the Train whistle sound played and the lights came on then immediately it seemed like the power started blinking off and on. No more sounds, but the lights started flashing in a roughly 1 second cycle.
I don't know where to begin.

EDIT - I think I've narrowed it down to a loose wire in the back box.

EDIT - Yay, I fixed a basic wiring problem. Next problem...the paddle wheel isn't capturing balls. When a ball gets behind the wheel it has trouble entering the paddle wheel. This might be a pitch problem. I haven't tried properly leveling it, since I've just been trying to fix things. BUT, when it does properly enter wheel the wheel usually doesn't have enough strength to lift the ball to the top to dump it. I checked the rubber band and it's not slipping. So I have to figure out if I can fix it, if it just need a new motor. I'm hoping it's a simple fix since it's actually trying to turn and turns fine without the weight of the ball.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 19, 2014

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

Whirlwind is the same way it doesn't have a ball save per se but if you gank the ball plunge hitting gently caress all and drain the ball the machine will grant you another ball in the shooter lane.

I let my ball drain on purpose on my TMNT if I miss the skill shot and it comes back to my flipper without hitting anything.
"FIGHT AGAIN DUDE"

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

A pinball machine in a truck stop here(Alabama) would blow my mind.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Niwrad posted:

I really like Black Rose. Is there a reason why it's not as popular as other titles from that era? Some kind of backstory with the game?

It was released around the same time as Addams Family, Dr Who, Creature From the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, T2, Fish Tales, Whitewater, STTNG, and Indiana Jones.
It just got overshadowed.

We would probably be having this same conversation about Fish Tales, Whitewater, or CFTBL if Black Rose had already been on TPA in place of one of them.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Bob Loblaw posted:

Quick question for anyone who has bought or sold pinballs lately, where do you recommend to sell them? I am thinking about parting with mine (Baywatch, Black Rose, ST:tNG, and T2), but don't want to get flooded with people offering too little or people offering to pay with Nigerian bank orders.

Where do you live?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Bob Loblaw posted:

Atlanta area.

And thanks above for the Pinside tip.

I'm in Alabama, I could consider making a trip depending on prices. Those are tables I'm interested in.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Domus posted:

If you want to get the most for your table, Ebay prices are usually the highest, but you probably have to wait to get someone to buy it. Pinside or Mrpinball prices are next highest, and get to the serious collectors, depending on condition, ability to post pictures, etc. The arcademuseum.com forums may get you a fair deal, but you have to pay $2 to register. Rec.games.pinball tends to have a lot of people who will laugh at you for asking a reasonable price. Do you know current book prices for your machines? I'm happy to provide them if you don't have a price guide.

This is pretty good info, just remember to account for final sale fees and paypal fees(if you accept it)for ebay sales.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Time sensitive post....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-GOTTLI...=item233599e86e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOTTLIEBS-P...=item233599e825

$699 if you are near High Shoals, NC.
Sounds like it has a few minor things that need a little work, but that's a great price.
This is not mine. I'd buy it myself if I were closer.

EDIT - These appear to be gone now.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 2, 2014

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Yalborap posted:

In the last few days, I've gone from casual interest at best, to being super into pinball. :iia: Turns out all it took was realizing the iCade I mostly have for display can be used to play The Pinball Arcade on the iPad. It's not perfect, but it's enough that I'm playing plenty of games a day now.

I've only got Tales of Arabian Nights, since I'm still deciding what I want to start putting money down for. I've only gotten to around 5 million on it, so I've still got a long way to go, but this thread is definitely catching my attention. And I've already gone from barely being able to crack a million to hitting 2-3 even on a bad game. That's at least progress, right?

I'd save your money to buy the entire season 1 pack at once.
Welcome to heaven. Soon you will be disappointed every time you don't break 10 million.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Clouseau posted:

What's wrong with T3? I've only played it a few times and similarly walked away feeling underwhelmed but I couldn't quite tell you why.

All the ramps and the layout makes it feel cramped and small to me.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Is there a blue book equivalent for pinball machines? There's a ST:TNG really close to me asking 4k.

That seems to be kind of high end. But condition is a factor too. That's a hot table.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I did not expect to open my favorite something awful thread after work today to find a bunch of soccer chat. (I like soccer.) I want to buy a Tottenham Spurs table.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Picked up an Eros One cocktail machine today for $300. Managed to get it off my truck and into my house by myself. It's listed at about 195lbs. It's much easier to move around than a normal pinball machine. But I did have to use some clever tricks with a $20 hand truck dolly.

This isn't my picture, but this is what it looks like.

By amazing coincidence the guy I bought it from had the same EM machine as me, a Gottlieb Play Ball. We both never seen one but our own up to that point. It's always really exciting to meet other pinball lovers. I had originally offered $400 because I saw the ad 10 hours late and knew the 2 local arcade/pinball dealers were going to try to snatch it up and then try to sell it to me for $400-500 because they both knew I was looking for a cocktail machine. After talking to him about pinball and him showing me his 4 other machines he sold it to me for $300 anyways.

I now have an EM Machine, a solid state cocktail machine, and 3 90s DMD machines. I'm still hoping a deal goes through with a goon here for another DMD machine whenever I get a chance to visit my brother-in-law in Atlanta.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Recommendations on best place to search for private pinball sales? CL seems like a wasteland.

Craigslist, but you need to search the word pinball at least twice a day.
Pinside market.
Ebay and sort results by nearest.

Another tip, find an arcade machine in a business that is owned by someone with a route and ask the business owner for his contact information. Depending where you live some of the people that run arcade routes have reasonable prices on machines. I live in Alabama, and the guy I bought 2 of my machines from runs a route and still has a bunch of machines that he doesn't put on route.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 2, 2014

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

gently caress ME, I KNEW I WAS FORGETTING ABOUT SOMETHING I WANTED TO DO THIS WEEKEND.
I'm pretty sad right now. Today is the only day I could have went and totally forgot. I needed to be driving hours ago.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

When is there going to be an online vs pinball game? Or is there already? Can TPA pull off it off? To be clear, I'm referring to a port of one of the tables that has flippers on opposing sides that put people head to head.

Joust

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I voted for Cyclone. I want different tables. We already have Taxi.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Niwrad posted:

I'd say $500-$800 for something that works.

I never find tables at the prices people quote:(
I only find 60s/70s EMs for that much.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Pinball repair is really frustrating when you don't really know what you are doing. I've been able change bulbs, rubbers, parts that are obviously bad during gameplay. It's the less obvious problems that are kicking my tail. My Maverick is blinking on and off when I turn it on. It makes the train whistle and starts blinking. This happened before and I found the loose wire that was causing the problem. This was mostly by luck. It's doing it again and now I don't know where to look. It doesn't seem to be the same wire as last time. I'm assuming this is a grounding issue that's causing the machine to do this. I don't even know that for certain. It was a loose ground wire before. Does this just require me to use a multimeter to relentlessly check everything?

Domus do you have any incite on this blinking problem?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Turns out I'm an idiot and it WAS the connection I had the problem with the first time. I'm going to need to solder it I think. The tabs that hold the wire into place seem to be worn out so no matter how secure I think it is, it has a chance of working itself out. It is a wire connected the display board, you were still right on the money.

I was replacing a drop target earlier today and tilted it too far up and the playfield got into a position where it wouldn't swivel down. I wasn't strong enough to lift out from the side and I literally had to stand on the side rails to pull it up and out of where it had fell. Holy poo poo I am inept.

Edit - Now I'm going to try to fix the paddle wheel. I noticed a connector that was unplugged, so I plugged it in, and now it thinks a certain target or trigger is always on. The wheel itself also doesn't pick the ball up like it should. I'm going to replace the motor and hope that fixes it.(The ball not lifting problem)

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 4, 2014

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I got to play about 10 games of Wizard of Oz. It does some really neat things. The ability to save yourself after oultane drains is pretty cool. I managed to complete the goal for both drains in the same game once and it was very satisfying.

To elaborate. If "Save Toto" is activated and it drains on the right, the ball is relaunched and you have a certain amount of time to hit a lit ramp and you can keep playing that ball. Otherwise your flippers die and you lose the ball. If you drain on the left side, and the targets in there all get activated then the ball relaunches and you have to hit the rainbow targets in a set amount of time. I also enjoyed the target and ramp placement, as well as the 2 small upper playfields. I had trouble playing and watching the screen though, so I'd lost track of things I'd need to do, but that's really true for any DMD as well with a complicated ruleset until you get some practice under your belt.
Metallic seemed like a terrible game after playing Wizard of Oz. Luckily I don't live close enough to go there everyday or I'd go broke, but the prices were reasonable. 1$ per game for WoZ or 3 games for $2.

This was at a microbrewery. The table line up was Wizard of Oz, Avengers, X men, Metallica, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Star Trek. The tables were all in amazing shape, and the guy that owns them is a major pinball collector with 20+ amazing tables. The guy is extremely friendly and down to earth, and spends a lot of time making sure everything is working right.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 8, 2014

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm slowly getting better at real pinball. Been playing a bunch at a local bar recently. After a few years of playing video pinball exclusively I have to unlearn a few things. I practiced live catching today. Occasionally it works, but usually I end up popping the ball back up onto the playfield. Also lost a few balls to failed drop catch attempts. I wanted to try some drop catches on the X-Men they have there since I often have the ball come to the left flipper at a good angle for it, but the machine barely works at the moment.

Every real pinball machine is a special snowflake. In virtual pinball every thing responds the same way every time. With real pinball every table has a different pitch, different flipper strengths, different levels of crud on the playfields. You get better at adapting to different real tables the more you play them, but right from the start you have to learn the nuances of whatever real table you are playing in whatever location it is at.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Pinball machines are pretty tradeable.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

TheMcD posted:

Given that you can easily move them, yes. The Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man standing in our family cellar begs to differ, though. Stupid special backbox that can't be brought down and instead has to be completely dismounted for the drat thing to fit through the door... I really hope we don't have to move soon, because getting that son of a bitch down there was a hell of a trip.

Still have to polish that one up, too. Anybody know where you can get some Wildcat polish that ships to Germany, by chance?

Oh man. How wide is that thing? Will it not fit through a normal door? I've been intrigued by that machine.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

tonedef131 posted:

I like the theme as much as any other kid who was born in the 80s, but I mainly just bought it because it seemed like a good deal. 90s DMD machines just do not go for less than $1k around here, certainly not in this kind of shape. I'll probably have a thousand into it by the time I'm done with it, maybe more if I do LEDs, but I should be able to get that back out of it pretty easily. I can tell the gameplay will not have a lot of staying power and I don't really have room for it so once it's cleaned up I'll probably either trade it towards a different machine or stick it at my buddys bar and let hipsters pump it full of quarters.

I paid $1300 for that table. You got a great deal. That being said, the game is pretty shallow. The key to the game is being able to hit 3 consecutive shots when a certain thing is lit. Hitting one ramp, then the other, then the sewer. It's a pretty low scoring table and hitting that combo is worth like 10 million by itself, when otherwise your total score might be 10 million.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Imagined posted:

Forgive me if this is only spiritually related to pinball, but do any of you own pachinko machines at home? What did you pay for yours? Is it still to fun to play after the first day or two? Considering getting one off Craigslist because my wife loves pachinko but wondering if the novelty will wear off since the gambling aspect doesn't really mean anything, sort of like owning your own slot machine..

More replay than a slot machine, but less than a pinball machine. Pachinko machines can have a longer lasting appeal if you can get into the aspect of changing the odds by bending pins. You can get relatively "good" at a machine if you play it enough. Certain drop areas will hit targets more often. You can slightly bend pins to change how it plays. I still think the average person would get bored quickly, but they are nice art pieces that don't take up too much room.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

YES

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

roffels posted:

It's a fun game, but that sounds like a lot of money. I'd be happy to get 1050 for mine.

If yours is in good shape, you should be able to get more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Walking Dead wizard goal - Get ball inside church. Don't walk away machine after ball is held for 2 and a half hours.