Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Just something to note: In the 90s Williams and Bally had actually merged into the same company. Tables would be realeased alternating brand names, first a Williams, then a Bally, but they were pretty much always done by the same team of people. And by far and away WMS had the superior engineers and designers to their competition at the time, that's why almost anything people hold up as favorites from this time period is either Williams or Bally.

After WMS dissolved their pinball division, some of the old school designers started designing some tables for Stern, such as Pat Lawlor (Addams, Twilight Zone) and Steve Ritchie (High Speed, T2, Star Trek). Still, Stern pinballs tend to wear out a lot easier than WMS machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Ned posted:

I'm very jealous of the goon who owns a Medieval Madness table. Tina Fey did the voices and it is a great machine.

Wow, I never knew this...

http://kotaku.com/5101133/tina-feys-secret-video-game-voice-work

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Just got the pinball bug again the last couple weeks. Hit up Texas Pinball Festival last week, they had a pretty nice LED-modded Monster Bash that I was one shot away from starting the eponymous mode on.

Also got really close to qualifying for the B division of the state championship, made like 22 mil on the new Rolling Stones, the bottom player had like 25 mil or so. Bought another ticket but did not have the same level of performance.

Also got to hear talks from Steve Ritchie (designer of High Speed, F-14 Tomcat, Star Trek: TNG, T2, Stern Spider-Man, World Poker Tour), Gary Stern, and Jersey Jack Guarnieri of the new pinball company Jersey Jack Pinball, who have some ambitious plans for a new Wizard of Oz machine designed by the team of designer Joe Balcer and programmer Keith Johnson (the team behind Simpsons Pinball Party)

Then didnt get enough last weekend so decided to drive 45 minutes to a place called Nickelrama today. Sad part was the LOTR was suffering from sticky flipper, and that was the one I was looking forward to playing most. Started to get a feel for Pirates of the Carribean and Stern Spiderman though, almost made a high score on Spiderman.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
The new Stern Tron is coming out next month, and our local arcade is having a launch party/tourney!

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Zeether posted:

Best table I've actually gotten to play was probably one of those Pinball 2000 tables that Williams made. I forgot what the name was but it had something to do with alien invasions and it was at Walt Disney World in Tomorrowland's arcade. They also had the Frankenstein table which was pretty good from what I played.

You're thinking of Revenge From Mars, and if you liked that, if you ever get a chance to play the prequel (non pinball 2000 version) Attack From Mars, you gotta check it out.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Every pinball fan owes it to themselves to check out Pinballz Arcade in Austin TX. Took a trip Labor Day weekend to visit.

Imagine an arcade run by people who know pinball, who keep the machines in tip top shape, and who fill it with a variety of machines from every decade - including some all time classics like Medeival Madness and Twilight Zone, and some hard to find rarities like SAFECRACKER (Yes, an actual Safecracker pin), and the latest stuff like Tron Legacy and Avatar

Not to mention an eclectic selection of vids - Not just 80s stuff (Star Wars, Gauntlet, Tron) and not just modern stuff (DDR, some fighting games) but a piece of nostalgia for us 90s kids, the good old 6-Player X-Men.

For the lucky people who live in Austin (of which sadly, I cannot count mytself one) they have leagues and tournaments too.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Sadly there are a lot of classic tables we will probably never see in a commercial virtual release because of licensing issues. Addams Family, Twilight Zone, T2, etc.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

Steve Richie tables have been the bane of my pinball playing existence ever since I coined a Black Knight. Attack from Mars is a very difficult table for me along with Terminator 2. I could get action going on High Speed and F-14 Tomcat but tables like No Fear and T2 gave me fits.

Attack From Mars is a Brian Eddy pin, not a Steve Ritchie

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

ZebTM posted:

Apparently there's going to be a pinball expo on march 9 and 10 about a 2 hour drive from where I live. http://ohiopinballshow.com/

Looks like fun. Any pingoons have experience with this sort of thing?

I try to go to Texas Pinball Festival every year. Lots of fun, and since the closest arcade with somewhat decently maintained pinballs is almost an hour away (and even those aren't maintained the best) accounts for the majority of my play. Plus they have interesting speakers and rare machines. This year Hercules will be there.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Texas Pinball Festival this weekend, time for some RL pinball ownage all up in this!

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
At TPF this weekend they had a demo table up with the 360 and PS3 versions of Pinball Arcade with some of the yet to be released again tables like MM and TOTAN. Didn't spend much time with it as it's hard to muster up excitement to play faux pinball in a room full of the real thing, but tried it out.

Seems okay but having to use the left stick to nudge is kind of awkward, guess I'm used to pc games where the nudge key is right next to the flipper key which feels more natural, you can hit both keys for the equivalent of the "hard slap" that you do when the ball is headed just outside of the flipper.

Also they had a real MM machine with a COLOR DMD, which is a $399 aftermarket product you can install in the machine that has color data in the firmware so it works with the game's original ROMs.

AC/DC LE was the primary tournament pin, and the LE is much superior to the Pro which is what I played at the launch party last month. It includes a lower "hell" playfield and an actual swinging "Hell's Bell" target as the main improvements.

There was a modded Tron LE with a subwoofer, blue DMD, and disc topper, and a BEAUTIFUL LOTR with some green lit "ghost" figures on the Paths of the Dead, tons of different colored LEDS replacing the mostly white lamps on the original, a topper, and some other doodads.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
JJP Wizard of Oz playfield artwork!

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Stern designers are all old school pros from the 80s and 90s. There's no shame in liking new tables.

e: Though Batman and Avatar, the two Stern tables they have in my local movie theater use a lot of crappy action figures for decoration, which make the things look pretty cheap.

A lot of the dislike for new tables comes from the fact that Stern was using cheaper parts and cutting out popular features to save money.

Jersey Jack seem to be setting themselves up to be the anti-Stern in that respect.

However it appears the competition factor has caused Stern to step up their game with the last couple tables, particularly the Limited Editions.

And I don't think anybody can really say much bad about Lord of The Rings or Simpsons Pinball Party, Stern's 2 best.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

FishBulb posted:

Does anybody have a link for like, a youtube video talking about all the more 'advanced' pinball flipper tricks? I can pass the ball from one flipper to the other no problemo but I know theres a lot more stuff you can do and I'd like to nerd it up the next time my kid wants to watch the loving Bubble Guppies or whatever.

There's a DVD called Pinball 101 which is great, they had a screening of it at TPF. Or just watch some of the videos on http://papa.org/blog/games-of-the-week/, they're mostly game specific but in at least a couple of them, they explain what they mean by terms like "cradle separation", "tap pass", "post transfer", etc. Specifically, the one on Paragon goes into great detail on how to do a tap pass.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

FishBulb posted:

Pinball Map has informed that there are like 7 Harley Davidson tables in ABQ.

But the bowling alley around the corner has Twilight Zone and Simpsons Pinball Party so I guess I'm going bowling.

I am a college educated bowler so thats nice.

Also:

http://pinside.com/pinball/map

http://www.pinballrebel.com/locator/index.php

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Tempura Wizard posted:

The Pinball Megathread [Physical and Virtual] - Imagine three pinballs on the edge of a cliff...

Girlfriend said I'd be dumped if I buy a pin before an engagement ring. There's been a Pinbot listed on my local Craigslist for a paltry $750 for nearly three weeks now. How it mocks me so. :negative:

I'd call her bluff on that. I guarantee the Pinbot will probably provide a much better return on investment than the ring.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

FuSchnick posted:

There is a real-life glitch in TOTAN that allows you to have a virtually unlimited multiball mode with ball save enabled the entire time. Not sure if the emulated version of the table reproduces the glitch or not, but usually outragously high scores on that table come from that.

How to do it:

http://papa.org/blog/games-of-the-week/tales-of-the-arabian-nights-haremgenie-battle/

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Too bad you didn't have the special edition. It puts a lower play field in the place of the giant head.

Also has an actual moving swinging bell to hit instead of a standup target with a bell toy.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Disease posted:

I've played just about every 90's Bally/Williams table and Junkyard is one of my favorites (I'd say top 5 if I were making a list). I like challenging tables (Ripley's is my favorite pinball simulation at the moment) and this game is comically difficult when properly maintained because hitting the wrecking ball will often cause a light-speed, completely unsave-able straight down the middle drain. There's also the fact that the default outlane size is pretty huge and it is not difficult for the ball to find its way to them. The rules aren't super deep but they go nicely with the table - sneaking those balls behind the crane during multiballs was so satisfying. I'm also a big fan of the 1980's cartoon aesthetic: this game has great sound effects!

As for strategy I just tried to win the wizard mode as many times as I could. I haven't played this game in 15 years but I remember skipping "Air Tactical Combat" as it's just too dangerous, so try to get your fireworks somewhere else. To me this game is all about ball control, I'm pretty sure I trained myself to do dead catches just to avoid getting hammered by this game.

There's 2 ways to play this game. Going for wizard mode (the fun way!) or cheesing video mode for high score which is what you would do in a tournament. In that case there is one and only one shot, the dog. The video mode awards Junk every time you complete it, which is a big part of your end of ball bonus, and once you get the gun and are doing "Save The Girl", the awards for completing the higher levels are stupidly huge.

Fun fact, Junkyard was the first time I ever beat a wizard mode.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

PardonMeHippo posted:

The main glitches on ToM are the Hocus Pocus ball-savers triggering very inconsistently

This is accurate to the real table, or at least the one that was in my college arcade back when it had an arcade.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

For no particular reason I'm going to post quotes for potential PA additions I'd like to see that don't have too many license hurdles to jump over.

See if you can guess what they are. :)

1.) It's sunny drive time!
2.) It's...Talk...Radio!!! CHANGE THE STATION! **Tempura Wizard knew he should have brought more than one t-shirt**
3.) UNNNNGH! I'm having multiple jackpots!
4.) Look Bob, waterskiers!
5.) SHIFT! GEARS! **ZackHoagie is in RED-LINE MANIA!**
6.) Get down! Get funky!
7.) GO FOR THE HILL! **Tempura Wizard just passed Red Hot!**
8.) Now you D-D-D-D-DIE!
9.) Try a tube shot!
10.) Chalk up! **Howard Beale Hit The 8 ball, Corner Pocket!**

Number 3 Scared Stiff

Number 4 Whitewater

Number 8 F-14 Tomcat

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Sizone posted:

11.) Ride the ferris wheel!

Cyclone

12.) ". . . straightening the Tower of Pisa!"

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

sethsez posted:

Spiderman feels like an updated Attack From Mars in a lot of ways, it's definitely worth playing. I also hear good things about the Family Guy table, but the theme is so obnoxious to me I can't bring myself to like it.

Try Shrek. It's the same table, but without the awful Family Guy theme.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

Only on the lower playfield. Depending on the operator settings, there's a timeout on the lower playfield that will disable the flippers after a certain period.

If the main playfield flippers are going out, either the table is defective or you're tilting and not realizing it.

There's no lower playfield on the Pro. The Pro has Angus Young's face instead.

Lower playfield is on the LE and Premium

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Will the TZ ball be the POWERBALL? Then it would be just like playing that SW: ep 1 that inexplicably had a powerball in there subbing for one of the balls that they had at TPF.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
First look at a WOZ prototype at E3 (skip to about 1:11)

http://www.twitch.tv/geekgamertv/b/320469476

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
More WOZ videos from E3:

http://youtu.be/hjYAwvHC3G8

http://youtu.be/tzoBXbq9pbE

http://youtu.be/mxFhzMR27WU

http://youtu.be/y2C0ivannWU

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
The Northwest Pinball Show will have live streaming coverage of the show all weekend apparently:

http://nwpinballshow.com/

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Data East pinball was bought by Sega which was later bought by Gary Stern and became the modern Stern company (not to be confused with the Stern company in the 70s run by Gary's father Sam)

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Anyone ever gotten a legit Lyman's Lament (44 shots to the random scoop)?

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Moster Bash is amazing once you get a little into how the rules work. The trick is to get a lot of modes close to started and then start them all at once, and then freeze the timers by starting a multiball. Doing so is extremely challenging and fun when you pull it off.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

goferchan posted:

How do you know how good of a pinball player you are? What's the level or the score where you can start saying "I'm pretty good at this"?? I know the skill ceiling goes really high on a lot of tables but what I'm asking is when is it appropriate to come in this thread and brag

When you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xawnBtCFvH4

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
The stream appears to have vanished into the ether, it was the geekgamer.tv live stream of the event

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Disease posted:

Interestingly enough, Medieval Madness is the first PA table where I can reliably perform a bang-back save if the ball goes down the left outlane. Obviously it will use up all your warnings if it doesn't just outright tilt, but it's nice to see these realistic things in video pinball. I didn't know PAPA disallowed bang-backs, I always figured it as a risk-reward thing since it is so easy to tilt.

I believe they disallow bangbacks and death saves because of damage to machines

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Discount Viscount posted:

Still hoping for Q*bert's Quest, Baby Pac-Man, Street Fighter II, and the two Super Mario Bros. tables to somehow show up one day. Are there any other real-world pins based on video games out there?

Spy Hunter, Mr. and Mrs. Pac Man, Joust

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Stern's X-Men making its debut at Comic Con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lQDZrgSp7M

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

:argh:MOVE!!! YOUR!!! CAR!!!!!!:argh:

pulls out rocket launcher

I'm CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY BOB! And you're caught in my JUNK*YARD!"

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Monster Bash has an awesome one. Freak out crazy siren with Dracula smashing a guitar EXTRAA BAAAAALL :rock:

That's the replay, the extra ball is the one where the disco ball drops on his head.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

I wouldn't focus on bonus then if you want to improve your MM score. Occasionally it's worth a lot of if you have a really long ball, but usually it's not that important. Taking down castles and/or going for multiball modes are both good strategies for points.

Another high risk/high reward strategy is stacking castle hurryups, I once got 10 million off a stacked castle hurryup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
CGR has a review up of ACDC