Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have just got into The Pinball Arcade and really been enjoying it.

Space shuttle, I love you but why do you hate me at the same time? I also bought the Big Shot/Scared Stiff table pack which is an amazing sample of two different eras of pinball design and philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Time Dissolver posted:

TPA question, on Scared Stiff is there a trick to landing in the Secret Passage (final Wizard Goal I have yet to get) or is it the kind of thing you just have to fart around until it happens accidentally?

Yeah this. I wanna say that I did it by design but it was a total accident. I only have the beat the crate and the spider-mania achievements to get on that one.

I know it's an easy table but that sound design still gets me really stressed out trying to get scared stiff first time out. I still think it's a really great table (if a little boring once you get it all down). And amazing that they fired Dennis Nordman before they shipped it too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
^^ edit: speaking of that my Dracula score is like, a tenth of one of the goons I have on my friends list.

Ugh I was trying to beat my high score on Dracula.

I managed to engage Mist, Castle Multi and Coffin Multi. All in the same five minute window. All separate of one another and didn't get multi multiball . :negative:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have T2 and White Water/Space shuttle is that all you need from Season 2?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ninja alamode posted:

Also curious on MM, for multiball madness, is it preferable to try and get a 4-5 ball multiball going, or just start the 2 ball and get hurry-ups for the rest? I would assume the larger multiball, but have heard strategy of just trying to build as many hurry-ups as possible.

e: most comments on here say to just buy the season pack for $15, are the pro versions of the tables not worth getting? What do the pro versions actually add?

You'd have to be in pretty deep to want Pro Mode. I mean, You can turn off Family Mode on Scared Stiff and have Elvira say a bunch of raunchy stuff like "I'm having multiple jackpots" which personally I think is funny and worth the $5 but otherwise, no I don't think the average person will care.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wb_x3q3z14

The PAPA tutorials are really good for getting into the mindset of how to do it.

But remember he's really good. The best is the Dracula tutorial where he's like "I'm just going to hit this ramp 15 times in a row now." poo poo, I can barely hit the ramp twice in a row :psyduck:

edit: although, some of the videos only show you how to get great real life scores, not multibillion TPA ones.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 15, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Collateral Damage posted:

Another notch for my bed post! :wiggle:

"... I'll get him up." :wink:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'd love to see the Rocky and Bullwinkle table in TPA just because... Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I'd hope the IP wouldn't be super expensive.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Which is why you get amazing tables from films without certain Actors (Apollo 13 without Tom Hanks, for example).

edit: amazing as in funny that they don't have Tom Hanks because he's obviously too expensive, they should have just gotten Colin.

Or Phantom of the Opera which is licensed from the Book and not the musical.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

You know, a train-themed table could be pretty good.

Yeah actually that sounds pretty cool. :stare:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tayter Swift posted:

Be sure to shout MOVE YOUR CAR at the appropriate times and also to random coworkers whose parking meters are about to expire, as I do to various looks.

My partner always cracks up because I love the poo poo outta the sound in Dracula so I shout in a ridiculously hammy voice "MAAASTER YOU PROMISED MEEEEEEEEEE ETERNAL LIFE!" while I'm playing.

I think if I ever buy a table it'll be Dracula because it's just so cool aesthetically.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
GIVE ME YOUR MONEY

HA HA HA HA

Damnit it's like a reflex action.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

apophenium posted:

Which game has the best "MULTIBALL!" call out? I'm pretty partial to Theater of Magic's. I always yell it with gusto.

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINDDDSSSS

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNDSSSSS!!!

*ball glides across table*

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Also BSD is awesome when you get into multiball because Dracula announced the jackpots with his transylvanian accent

Thiiiiirty Thiiirty THiiiiirty MILLLLIOOOOON~

And getting the super jackpot is awesome , machine goes loving batshit.

*animation of a woman melting into a skeleton*

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!"

"BEGONE DEVIL'S CONCUBINE!"

Oh man this.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.twitch.tv/farsight_studios/

They're streaming earthshaker if you care.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I thought that people had been through the files and worked out what the next three tables were, so I guess at least three months or something?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Taxi: missing one leg, plunger broken, left bumper broken, right bumper broken, play-field needs work otherwise excellent condition.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
White Water and Space Shuttle are 2 dollars in game atm.

White Water is great, but it's on the slightly harder scale (I have gotten to Wet Willie's once I think but never finished it), has great music and great call outs (ANYBODY GOT A LIGHT? WHICH WAY DO WE GOOOOOOO?) and Space Shuttle is one of my favorite Alpha-numerics. It's just fun to try and get a good score on in my opinion. It's a steal if you don't want to leap into buying S2 outright.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 21, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How do you abuse the extra balls in SS i'm pretty amateur.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

Has there been any talk of TPA making Roadshow?

I think if the table is good, and without a licence (minus Sony right? Which they have some sick rear end deal with which opens up Spiderman if you're liscencing the Sony movie + actors?) [edit: Obviously, because Starship Troopers is a sony pic] then they'll do it. I found a quote saying "it's in their top 20" on the forums but I don't know whether to take that with a grain of salt or not.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 21, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress I tell you what nothing ruins my mojo like trying to hit the Mist Multiball Left to Right in Dracula. I can do Right to Left nine times out of ten but if for some reason I miss it there is no way I'm getting it next time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheMcD posted:

Could be neat, but it really does depend on how the license is implemented.

Well, considering Triple H is there in his wrestling gear and it has Roman Reigns on it I figure the WWE told them exactly what they couldn't and couldn't do.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
GnR is a Data East table, right?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Going to play with some real machines next week. They have a Fish Tales. Is that as much of a ball draining monster in real life as it is on the TPA?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cool thanks guys. I have it on the TPA and I'm pretty terrible at it so I'm looking forward to being crushed by it in person. :v:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

Has there been any updates on Addams Family on TPA? I'm really excited for it.

People keep saying Feburary, I'm not sure if that's because of the files they looked at.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Was he the guy that ended up being a bit of a misogynist, meaning that "I CAN SPEAK - OH NO!!!!" becomes slightly creepy in hindsight?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow. Okay.

I was trying to be polite if I was mistaken.

Nope dude is for real crazy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

There are your answers.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Trip Report!

Some of the machines I think were out on hire or sold, so some of the marquees were missing (TNG, Fish Tales). Generally speaking, the machines were in a terrible state of disrepair, stuck balls or various ailments, but the 'marquee' games all worked (apart from Revenge)

In chronological order:

Revenge from Mars - it was cool seeing a P2K game in person, and as it was the most recent game there (apart from the sound emitting static and the right flipper going up and down and not "holding") it felt pretty good. I had the same problem a lot of people have with losing the ball in the back of the table. P2k obviously has something going for it and I like it overall, I'd love to play it on a working machine.

Cue Ball Wizard - I don't know what the hell. I really liked this game in person, far more than in TPA. Everything seemed to just click and the tacky music and call outs just work in an arcade enviroment. I had a lot of fun making the shots in this game. Also, it seems that the cue ball really can get knocked around more in real life than in TPA. The only mechanical issue I had was the ball feeder released one too many balls for multiball so the game ended somewhat anti climatically with a ball still in play. Thought this game was great in person.

Adams Family - obviously a classic, sound was down low and I think some lights were missing because I had no idea what was going on. But it whet my appetite enough for the TPA release, that's for sure.

Dr Who - played it had fun but my friend said it wasn't working properly, but what I played seemed fun. I thought the video mode blew.

Dirty Harry
- Another strange surprise, really liked this in real life. Sound was busted, but everything else was fine and you clearly could see what shots you were meant to make and it was all very satisfying. I dunno, I liked this alot!

Bride of Pinbot - perfect working order, but I'd seem to lose the ball in the bumpers in the top (is it dimly lit or something?). Was hard to play in real life than in TPA which made it more fun. I didn't get mutiball but I did get to hear "I CAN SPEAK (OH NOOOO!!!)" in real life which was a kick. And the head rotation looks awesome in real life. Fun to play in TPA, even funner in real life. :)

edit: Obviously T2, Adams family are played 24/7 but not many people were playing Bride so I actually managed to play a few games instead of trying to give other people a go and not be a sweaty neck-bearded goon.

Jackbot - had a bit of a bash, seemed fun.

T2 - Yeah no poo poo, T2 is great Got my first rejection going for the skull shot (which is even more satisfying in real life) which was a real "ah, this isn't a video game" moment. In TPA I throw the table around a bit to keep the ball alive but I didn't have the heart to do it in real life so there was a lot of draining after skullshots. Also, the gun was a bit wonky so it'd shoot a bit "higher" than you aimed which was another mechanical nuance to this game.

Rescue 911 - The toy was busted as gently caress so it was pretty funny seeing this dumb helicopter smack into the cliff. I managed to set the 2nd highest score :v: so it obviously hadn't been played much. Not much to say except it worked and it was fun.

Twister - did they not get the rights to the actors or were the artists just loving high? I couldn't tell but it was funny trying to work out which was which. I don't know if the sound was busted, or some lights were missing but I couldn't work out what shots to make so I just shot the lit loop shot. Eventually I triggerd a 4 ball multiball(?) which seemed pretty insane and twister like. The little spinner is a cute idea. Sega playfields just have this look to them. Talking about it later with my mate we're not convinced it was a great table it's just that it was (almost) fully functional so it stood out.

edit: fun story, this game (or this table) had an insane ball saver, and I came to the game on the last person's last ball (they'd obviously gotten bored or whatever), so I tried to just drain to start over myself and it kept going BALL SAVED, BALL SAVED, BALL SAVED. Eventually I worked I had to plunge, hit it for a while and then deliberately drain so I could actually start my own game :v:

Last Action Hero - played this near the end don't remember much.

Then played a bunch of janky rear end 70s machines which were various degrees of busted which all ran together in my mind.

Overall, it was sad seeing machines in a state of disrepair but playing pinball in person is fun.

In terms of phsyics there is a certain "weight" to the ball that is missing in TPA. But they approximate it very well overall. Spin is obviously a big thing that is missing, being able to drop catch as well. Other than that I was generally very impressed with the TPA tables I played in real life and they were generally harder and more fun. If I think of anything more I'll post it later.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 13, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, here's another thread question: what elements make a table good or bad for competitive play?

Hard, no gimmicky scoring are the two that come to mind.

Tony Phillips posted:

McD nailed it more or less. I played the crap out of Scared Stiff at a bar in Seattle that had one for 6 months or so. It's not TPA easy by a long shot, but getting to the stiff-o-meter and filling it is easier to do than any other table's wizard mode that I've played. If you consider that the wizard mode, but I don't know what else you would call it. For the record - I was completely unaware that there was a different multiball for completing the spider wheel back then so I never bothered trying to. I have to assume that that it a considerably harder task.

My biggest complaint about the table was that when playing for points I would really just loop ramps as much as possible and ignore other shots. In a strange twist - it was easier to loop the ramps in real life than I find it on TPA. Hitting the right ramp 20+ times in a row was common.

I think Scared Stiff is a good recommendation for first tables because you can actually finish it when you start out and the ramps provide a good feed for making all the shots you need to do.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

So, based on this feedback (and other opinions, of course), What table is best for competition play?

Twilight Zone with the modification to make it even harder. (They remove the posts on the outlanes or something?)

King Vidiot posted:

Also it contains at least one of each major feature in contemporary DMD pinball machines of the 90's, like the spot targets for the "kick-out" ball save, the ramps to either side with score multipliers, a random-bonus scoop, a pop bumper field, rollovers, ball lock for multiball, a ball-capturing toy in the center of the field, skill shot, probably other things I'm missing. And no one shot is particularly hard to make, and your goals are always laid out very clearly with audible call-outs. Even if you had no idea what the ruleset was you could probably figure out to go for the ramps, hit the coffin, complete the rollovers, etc. You'll probably end up completing one or more tales before you're even fully aware that you're meant to light the whole set of tales for the special multi-ball mode. Night of the Leapers is really easy to just get accidentally through normal play.

In addition, the only shot that is "hard" doesn't gently caress you if you miss it, like if you're going for the Coffin or the Lab and you miss I'm pretty sure the ball just goes up the ramp or something and feeds back onto the right flipper, or it whacks into the ball saver targets and falls harmlessly back into play. It's really great. Also as you say big hard to miss toy in the middle that if you whack enough gives you a multiball.

Plus, I don't know about anyone else, but the sound effects during scared stiff still make me miss shots I'd otherwise always get so I guess that's good design too.

edit:
^^^

:allears:

http://papa.org/learning-center/director-resources/directors/game-notes/#S

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 19, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man some of those are great. :allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I though the problem with TNG was that you just timed out all the modes so half the game you're just sitting with the ball on your flipper?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What really bugs me is in real life you can skip the "match for free game" in real life but not in the pinball arcade :shrug:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also just so we're clear, I'm excluding the rocking dude from Monster Bash from this complaint. :rock:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Free game is Junkyard.

*wrinkles nose*

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

It was manufactured with one speaker so probably.

Here's the papa video of the table: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIqdYxh4PNE

I dunno it sounds pretty good?

I was going to try it out in game for comparison but, lol farsight, 92 mb patch just dropped.

edit: watching a real video and then playing it, the table seems so quiet without all the sounds of the flippers clacking and the balls rattling around. :sigh:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 24, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.twitch.tv/iepinball

It Never Drains tour event.

:allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm having problems with my balls right now too.

How about I just leave that hanging there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But real talk, they are coming out black and stuff too since the update.