Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Someday, I will own my very own pinball table. Until then though, I've had to resort to getting my fix with a local arcade that has some freeplay nights, allowing me to not go broke and have fun without worrying about scores or losing quickly.

Got to play the Kiss pinball table (Stern) recently and it's amazing!

I'm also a little smug that no one has even gotten close to a high score I posted on Star Trek: TNG some time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's licensed. That's a famous 80s bodybuilder. Couldn't tell you who.

Vince McMahon, before the steroids.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I got to see two teenagers learn how to play pinball last weekend. I thought it was pretty cool.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

iastudent posted:

Found this in my backyard today. :stare:

I would gladly lose at least $20 to that table.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FishBulb posted:

This pizza place I'm at has 3 broken tables and no working ones :(

Buy them super cheap and fix them up yourself, its the only way.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Local arcade got Goldeneye recently, and its awesome!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

McSpanky posted:

Please tell me there's a mode that reflects the final fight in Cuba and the last target triggers a "For England, James?" "No, for me." DMD sequence. That might just make my life complete.

I haven't played it during the quiet hours, so I haven't heard any of the actual game. There is a barrel sequence when you launch your ball which I like (different things happen based on when you "shoot").

The play area is a little lacklustre, but that might just be me. Right ramp is tough for me to get into, but on the plus side you can "catch" your ball and launch it again for a bonus.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 24, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Almost got a billion points on Addam's Family in TPA, really need to get myself playing the real life version...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bewbies posted:

This is a pinball ethics question that very nearly ended in blows/tears this weekend.

Medieval Madness table...my usual "strategy" such as it is, is to get multiballs, and then usually fail at them. The catapult thing on the left side of this table very consistently traps a ball if you shoot one into it, and it won't come out unless you give the table a pretty firm nudge. This is a shot that I can make pretty consistently for some reason. So, I developed an approach wherein I'd put the first ball that came down in a multiball over in the catapult, where it'd get stuck, and then play with two balls until I drain one, then nudge the table and bring out the ball I stored up in the catapult. My buddy who is much better than me at pinball insisted this is cheating and after losing a couple of games and associated beer costs, started nudging the table whenever I'd trap my ball up there.

Now this was a pretty low key environment and I didn't much care either way, but it did make me wonder: if this were a league or tournament or some other more serious variant of pinball, would this be frowned upon/illegal?

That would be illegal according to PAPA rules, iirc. You cannot continue playing with a stuck ball, and its an immediate DQ.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Played some real Addam's Family, got a nice 100 mil even with a bad multiball and some unfortunate right outlane drains. I think I can double that. Also, played my first tournament last week and now I wish I had a car to go to the out-of-town stuff :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Played a local tournament yesterday, did better than my last outing. Despite the limited number of tables, I didn't get a chance to play on Addams Family :(

Then I watched some people play pinball for money, that was pretty interesting.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DevCore posted:

At my local pizza-bar we used to play TZ for money. $1 for a door panel. That could end up being expensive.

5$ buy-in for 8-ball Deluxe was fun to watch. Its too bad its 4-player max!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Want one.

In other news, my local arcade apparently got Batman Forever in. Can't wait to try it this weekend!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Batman Forever was dead when I got to the arcade tonight, but at least I did something to cheer myself up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Congrats at winning the world's most agonizing game!

:30bux:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just got my first tournament win :woop:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
We must kill the Batman!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread questions:

What is the worst table license that actually went into production?

What would be the worst table license that you can think of?

1. South Park (Worst one I ever played, anyways)

2. FATAL the Pinball Table

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

She Bangs the Drums posted:

Linkin Park pinball with a Chester Bennington suicide skill shot?
Too soon?

Wouldn't you just shake it until you tilt? Then you have to hang there for a while before you get a new ball...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pinball Pinball, the Pinball-themed pinball machine.

Pinball2

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Discendo Vox posted:

Son of Lady Pinball2 Pinball

El Hijo Del Pinball2

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Discendo Vox posted:

Woah Nellie! Big Juicy Actually It's a Pinball Machine Crusher

The Return of the Rise of Son of Pinball4

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What about "Balls of Steel"

Everyone expects Duke Nukem but they just get a super vanilla pinball machine

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The ball stays still while the pinball machine moves around it.

But you can still tilt

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheMcD posted:

Holy poo poo, I am riding such a pinball high right now, I don't think I've ever been higher.

You know what's great? Making a hard wizard mode for the first time. But making it for the second time is even sweeter, since it shows you that wasn't just a one shot fluke. Well, today, I made Iron Throne on Game of Thrones for the second time. Not only that, but I made it to the victory lap part of the mode by collecting all the castles. Dropped a sweet 6.3 billion on that game, with about 3.2 billion alone coming from Iron Throne.

After clenching my way through a situation where I had to beat three rounds of Targaryen and light and clear Baratheon on a single ball (once again, the upper playfield saved my rear end in Targaryen 3), I was so in the zone with Iron Throne I just killed that mode.

Alas, I still didn't beat Bowen's score from his tutorial.

Nice!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Played some pinball tonight and finally got a high score on Tron. Nothing spectacular but I'm glad I finally got a good score. Also got to play some Batman Forever, I loathe the ramp shots. Not sure if its just that table but they seem exceedingly hard to make, might be a combo of angle plus flippers :shrug:. No reasom to pick anything but ball lock and mission mode for the start, and I have no clue how to do Brain Drain other than shooting wildly and praying or waiting out the timer.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Played another local tournament, went down 2 games immediately but managed to claw myself back to finish 3rd.

I seriously cant get the hang of Batman Forever...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ramp shots seem impossible to make on the ome I play :sigh:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Doggles posted:

Ghostbusters is maybe now available for the PS4!

https://www.facebook.com/pinballarcade/posts/1566116070076114

Won't be able to check my disc copy until late tonight.

*Video Feed cuts out*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just had a terrible night at tournament play, couldn't get anything going in Walking Dead or Star Wars, and had awful quick drains in both ROBOT and 8-Ball Deluxe :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So fyi Pinball Arcade doesn't limit its speed on DX12 (or is it 11? whatever) so the game is permanently in fast-forward mode with my 8700K.

It also has a hard time with inputs since I got my Corsair USB keyboard. It tends to drop inputs when the ball nears the paddles.

:sigh:

At least I got a nice raise so maybe I'll just buy a pinball machine someday...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Barcade got Sopranos in

No god drat clue if its a good high score, but it certainly took a lot of multiballs and flashing lights. Thought I'd get a migraine at some point.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just had a terrible night at local pinball tournament. Song wouldn't advance in Kiss even though I sunk the ball into Gene's face like 8 times, the Slimer on Ghostbusters doesn't register a hit so you can't advance anything with slimer modes, and Storage Facility started and then immediately ended(?). Final nail in the coffin was me missing literally every possible shot in Terminator 2, hitting every post on either side of the ramps or the orbits.

:rant:

Have there been any patches for Pinball Arcade? Wish I could vent my poor play today by trying to re-complete objectives since it doesnt transfer saves across physical hardware.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Der-Wreck posted:

I'm so glad to hear this from someone else. This was the same reason for me. I used to go to tourneys but they just take so drat long so I'm not home till 11 or 12 and I gotta work early in the morning!

My local group starts at 8, three strike system (unless there's a huge number of people), night usually finishes around 10, 10:30 at the latest.

What are other tourney's working on?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LawfulWaffle posted:

What's a "huge number of people"? The last few tournements have been just north of 40 people and they can last from 1p to 6p.

60~ish

Edit: Above 50 its a toss-up if we ditch 3-strikes for 2-strikes

Above 60 is pretty much guaranteed

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Finally got a chance to play the new Star Wars, not sure if its nostalgia or an inherent bias, but I like it. Played super fast and I liked that there were plenty of options for shots.

I'd probably pick that table to have right now to own.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Doggles posted:

This past Saturday my favorite pinball spot hosted a tournament. Championship round was played on Tales of the Arabian Nights. I've played this machine a few times before and had never been able to collect more than 3 or 4 jewels in one go. Ball 3, I go ultra instinct and somehow get to and complete the wizard mode for the first time to claim 1st prize!

:feelsgood:

Nice job!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Deviant posted:

well the guy who owns this table is an operator and i trust him as far as i can throw him, so maybe that's it

Does he not have the post installed?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Deviant posted:

I just said it has the post, but it still center drains what feels like constantly.

Sorry, missed it. There's a reason I don't win all my tourneys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Discount Viscount posted:

Let's run down the worst outlanes I'll start:

Adam's Family

Edit: 8-ball Deluxe