Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

As a Millennial I posted:

Let's be real, here: Metallica is arguably the worst band of all time, yet their pinball machine is very good. The Kiss table will probably be good, too.

Not to mention AC/DC, the second-worst band of all time.

Okay I can get behind making GBS threads on KISS, but Metallica and AC/DC as the worst bands of all time, are you loving high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Boxman posted:

So, my local pinball place is closing at the end of the month. I stopped in to say goodbye and :stare:

Is Goin' Nuts actually fun in real life, or is it still literally hitler

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm not shocked that they need that much for AC/DC. The music alone is probably an insane amount of money.

Not sure if I like it being a separate app, though, don't they already have Stern tables in regular TPA?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tasteful Bulge posted:

He also hates pinball sims in general since they don't come that close to recreating Harry Williams "wild ball." All behavior is a result of programming, and there is no way to leave everything up to raw physics.

Hasn't this been more or less untrue ever since physics engines started being a thing? I've never played Havok-powered pinball but I imagine it'd be pretty close with some tuning.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What was with that thing? Is it a private custom build or is it a prototype for a commercial product? I didn't get to see much of it in action on friday because it spent more time with its guts pulled out being fixed(?) instead of playing.

Google tells me it's still in the whitewood stage, so it may have been intended for play even with said missing guts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pretty sure the LCD screen's jet bumper animation was Lana's breasts bouncing around, which is equal parts amusing and silly.

You'd think it would be Pam, really.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Gottlieb SF2 is pretty janky, but it's fun. If you've played their Mario table it's along similar lines.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Scared Stiff is fun as hell, even if it's easy. Medieval Madness would probably be the best pick, though, if you're not just getting the Season One pack.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LordPants posted:

I've seen Scared Stiff set up super hard for tournament play used at PAPA and it looked really cool.

Pitty you can't do stuff like that in TPA, that'd be amazing.

You can, you just have to buy the pro upgrade, iirc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LordPants posted:

Oh, the roms yeah, but not like the post positions and (I think even maybe the table bank or whatever) that they do.

I think those are configurable, actually, but I could be wrong. I don't own any of the pro upgrades, I've just hosed around with TOTAN's a bit.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

xarph posted:

Barb Wire
Are you really about to do this?
Does anyone really care?
Seriously?

Is Barb Wire really that bad of a pin? Looking it up, the reviews on Pinside say it's actually pretty good even if the theme is awful.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
While we're on the note, I'll ask again, since it seemed to get lost in the shuffle the first time: is Barb Wire actually a terrible pin? The PAPA game notes page shits on it, but... the Pinside reviews are all along the lines of "bad theme, decent game."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lone Goat posted:

I've never played Barb Wire, but keep in mind that the PAPA notes are for competitive play. It might just be a fun game for home play, but with a degenerate strategy for a high score.

For example, if you couldn't deactivate the cryo-claw in Demolition Man, the game would be incredibly dumb for high-level tournaments since you just shoot the claw over and over for multiball.

Generally they point those out specifically, though, rather than just saying "are you really gonna do this? Seriously?"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tony Phillips posted:

lovely

Demo Man

you're joking right, Demolition Man is like the definitive early-90s action movie

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Same Great Paste posted:

I played PA for years on iPad, and just recently bought a gaming pc for the first time in 20 years. If I understand this thread correctly the steam version is poo poo and not worth buying?

PA is totally fine on Steam, and PC is honestly probably the best platform for it.

The pros of TPA over Visual Pinball are that it's much easier to set up, the tables are licensed recreations instead of users' potentially-iffy ones, it looks prettier, and it has leaderboards and tournaments. The pros of Visual Pinball are that you can get any table you want (with the caveat that some might not be 100% accurate) as long as it's been made by somebody, it supports virtual pinball machines (you don't need to worry about this if you're playing on a regular PC), and the ball physics are arguably more accurate (though I can't really tell a huge difference).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If anyone wants to buy a fuckton of pinball machines from some guy in Italy for 66k euros, CoinOpExpress just posted this today. There's two Revenge from Mars machines and two Pirates of the Caribbean machines, but other than that, no duplicates, and it's a pretty not-terrible selection.

I don't have the scratch for this, but someone here probably does, and since this is a private sale that COE is facilitating instead of you buying from them, you probably won't have to deal with any of their Hong Kong jank.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know what, I usually laugh at Stern's dad tables, but I want a loving Maiden pinball table holy god drat

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Deviant posted:

fuckin Spooky needs to get off its duff and get me my TNA machine.

wait, what? there's a TNA pinball machine? like, TNA wrestling?

:psyboom:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oh

that's... less surreal, for sure

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Doggles posted:

Welp, so much for that Alien pinball table.

HEIGHWAY PINBALL FACES LIQUIDATION

is Alien just a cursed IP for physical tables or something? I feel like several attempts have all been botched

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Unsinkabear posted:

Are pinball dudes that greasy and unpleasant to warrant a gender league schism?

I feel like we could have avoided the dogpile and just responded to this part with "they're actually somehow worse"

Like, it's gotten marginally better as youngs and hipsters discover how rad pinball is, but you're never gonna get the divorced creepy uncle stench out of pinball pretty much

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

She Bangs the Drums posted:

Not many joined in on this one, so I guess people have a limited stomach for these types of tables.
too bad. I guess I will have to sit on my V12 tournament.

For what it's worth, the Zen original tables are usually a lot cheaper than the licensed ones, so you'll probably get more people willing to play V12. AFAIK, part of why V12 is so infamous is because everyone ends up owning it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's funny this comes up, because I just got Aliens vs. Pinball and the skill shot on Aliens is a fucker.

Also the Isolation table can suck my balls.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

super nailgun posted:

lmao a GnR table in 2020...

better come with a lot of heroin in the coin box to justify that price tag

Slash is a hardcore pinball nerd, this isn't his first rodeo with designing a machine, and the old Data East GnR table he did is pretty well-regarded

Theme aside, this'll probably be a pretty solid pin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oh thank god someone posted it