Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Finally got my first Grand Champion AND Lost in the Zone champion score.

Not an amazing score, but it still felt good.
I also did this the day after I got 5th place in a TZ pinball tournament. On the first credit I played. On a machine at a location I played at for the first time...

DevCore fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Yeah I was really disappointed I bought last years season pack early on. I'm not a huge fan of Gottlieb tables and that's predominantly what they were.

This season has been cranking out some pretty sweet tables, but they're only doing one table per pack now. Honestly though, I'd rather have 12 awesome tables than ~18 ones I'll never play.

That said, I'm still probably going to wait till they're about 80% done with the season before I cut them a check again.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I'm totally a better player because of PA.
It has helped me spend more of my focus on learning nuances and tricks of physical machines vs learning the rule-sets AND the nuances. Not having to divert part of your attention to what you have to do next is really crucial IMO.

Basically I'm more focused.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

T2's alright too. But yeah, literally every other table is awful.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I actually really like Black Hole just for that simplicity/addictive feel. The lower playfield is an incredibly cool toy as well- doesn't show up very often either.

Black Hole is amazing. I've been able to play the real table a few times.
But that's one of the best examples of how simplicity with the marriage of good design can create a great table.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I've played it three times, but I'm in the same boat.
The only machine in town is at our pinball arcade "Pinballz" and they want $1.50 per game, no buy-in bonus. It's kind of ridiculous.

But from the limited experience I've had with it, think WOZ is great. They're doing what Stern SHOULD be doing with their franchise tables and I'm really excited to see more from Jersey Jack.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

prefect posted:

I've gotten that a few times in the last couple of days. I think it was on Twilight Zone, too. One partial workaround: change your camera view so that you're looking at the table, albeit from way back at a terrible angle.

That's how I've had to deal with it too.

I've also had a screwup when finishing Lost in the Zone mode: A ball will get pinched under the right rocket flipper when the table goes dead after LitZ mode ends. Once the game starts up again, you'll have to deal with two balls and if any of them drains you're out a ball. I thought the actual table did a ball search after LitZ if all the balls weren't found...

I also hate the "Call Operator" function. All it does is add another ball to the playfield, I think even if you cancel the call.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

roffels posted:

How does Flash play? I like the artwork, and considered picking one up, but the layout by Steve Ritchie looks pretty similar to his Rollergames, which I have.

Flash is really basic. It's challenging only because your progress is reset after every ball. It also probably doesn't help that the one I played is really busted and worn out. Another drawback is the music, literally a droning tone that gets higher and higher for every shot you make.
And from the half dozen games of Rollergames I've played, I don't think they're all that similar.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I impress all the ladies by serenading them the BK2K song. :c00l:

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

PBA Newsletter posted:

A bunch more Williams and Bally tables are included in this deal that will let us keep preserving awesome pinball for as long as our sales stay strong!

So not very long? :v:

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

XenoCrab posted:

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but Black Rose and Fish Tales are out on the PS4. They look great and I hope the rest of season 3 gets added soon.

Also, Farsight announced Diner as the winner of the people's choice vote. Since Junkyard has also been announced, I wonder what the remaining three season 3 tables will be? I'd like to see Jackbot.

Jackbot and Adams are the two I'd be happy to see.

Are there any known plans for Farsight to pick up Jersey Jack tables?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

prefect posted:

Sometimes, in between balls, it will play the theme and trigger the flippers on the finger-snapping part. :swoon:

I do that literally every time. No mater how good/bad of a ball I had.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

ExMortis posted:

I've never seen this thing before, it makes Popeye Saves The Earth sound sane. You have to assemble a junk spaceship, with the help of an angel and a devil, to go to space to defeat the... evil junkyard owner? There's a minigame where you have to shoot a dog with toast? :wtc:

Interestingly enough, I've played the physical Junkyard at two bars here in Austin and it's one of the first games I've played where I was able to look at the tabletop and have figured out what I've needed to do to "beat" the game.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Went to a pinball tournament this weekend at a dudes swank rear end loft. His collection included six machines (AFM, Tron, WoZ, ACDC, Metallica & Ironman) all LE and some custom.
It was a blast and getting a chance to basically free play machines that are $1-$1.5 per play was really a treat. I finally feel like I can actually justify paying to play WoZ now. Spending $1.50 on a game to learn the machine for literally 60 seconds is just awful.

Placed 3rd in the B bracket, nothing to brag about by any means but at least I made my buy-in back.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Polo-Rican posted:

Guh?!?! That's insane. Slap the owner of whatever establishment charges $1.50 for pinball.

Trust me, I would if I could.

I have yet to hear a word of praise about the guy.
When he opened up his arcade, he contracted operators from all over to work on machines at cut rates. Older games that were designed with 4-5 ball play, he had dialed down to three ball play if possible. Match percentages were also dialed down and free multi-credit buy-ins were removed from all machines. On top of that he was pretty stingy on the perks too. Didn't offer any free tokens/plays, food or beverages.
He burns through regular operators pretty regularly too.

I did a league there about a year ago. $20 registration fee, then you have to pay for every table in the league. I made a stink about us having to pay for dollar tables, so they gave us tokens to offset the price for every dollar play. The league ended up costing about $60 dollars. Not a bad haul for them considering there were 16 people playing in it.

Tables are also priced a few thousand dollars higher than what they should be priced at. (Addams sells for ~$10k)

The place is a great center for pinball, but holy hell I don't like supporting them in any way so I've definitely stopped going as frequently as I had been.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

JUMPMASTER :smug:

This backboard/table kills me.

Edit: Also, I fired up TBA on my PS3 the other day and holy poo poo 90% of the tables have updates that you have to individually open the game, direct to the PSN and download... It's so so so annoying. Why couldn't they release one patch that updates all the tables?

I tried going to the PSN and just grabbing them all, but they're nowhere to be found. Awful. And to add insult to injury, you can't download anything while you're playing.

DevCore fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 14, 2014

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I...I want one...

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I was just going to mention Dracula's video mode. They also have a risk/reward for letting the wolves get closer, so it's a little more interesting than just blasting everything on screen.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Slap shots are also a good physical technique that save your rear end a lot.
One of the Twilight Zones at a bar here is rested on metal feet with silicon pads which all stands on a polished concrete floor. Seeing that machine slide a foot to the left or right is pretty common and if you're good, will only net you a single danger.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Collateral Damage posted:

Pro tip: On most modern machines (unless disabled in settings) you can hold the start button in for 2-3 seconds and it will reset the game. Very handy when people walk away from unfinished games.

The more you know! Thanks.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Niwrad posted:

Great pics Beatnik! I've never heard of Phantom of the Opera pinball. How was it? Also what is the machine to the left of Roadshow?

We've got one at Pinballz (or had one) and it was alright. It has a weird mechanic involving the third ball and making a combo ramp shot to get a huge jackpot payoff.

Also the jackpot sfx is one of my favorites. It's this hair-metal sounding dude belting in tremolo "JAAAACK-POOOOOT" for probably 4 seconds.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Couple question about the Zaccaria pinball app before I buy it:

- What's the difference between the standard and master version?
- What are the price tags associated with the Bronze/Silver/Gold memberships?
- How does the table purchasing work? (Packs v Individual tables)

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Thanks!

So basically the "membership" is a one time fee.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

apophenium posted:

The Twilight Zone table I played this past weekend had a problem where it would reset itself when I was having an exceptionally good game. The owner said it's a common problem with about a thousand different things that could be causing it.

The TZ I (used to) play the most of any pin in town does this too and it's infuriating to the point that I don't play it anymore.

It used to be only while a ball was up in the Powerfield, typically it was when both flippers where pressed at the exact same time and the machine would just shut off. It was especially touchy when you were doing powerball multiball.
The owner got it fixed up and it worked mostly without a hitch for a good solid 3 months. Then the problem came back, then it got worse.
Now, whenever you hit both flippers at the same time, anytime, the machine resets.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Also for people in the Austin area, Buffalo Billiards is hosing a pinball tournament every second Monday of the month. It's free to enter! First one is in a week from today.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Sega games are pretty ok.

Pinballz in Austin has at least...9? Space Jam, XFiles, Batman Forever, Baywatch, South Park, Twister*, Fankenstein, Lost in Space, Starship Troopers.

Xfiles was pretty good, the sound and toys are pretty cheesy, the graphics are pretty awful but it's endearing. The only major complaint I have on the table is the texture of the buttons. They're slightly abrasive, so playing it for an hour will leave you pretty sore.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Clouseau posted:

Stern is doing a rerelease of Iron Man all LED'd out. From my understanding, Iron Man didn't have that large of a run, and wasn't well received at the time. In the last couple years folks have come around to it though. I love Iron Man, and I hope I find it out on more locations. It doesn't look like it has a lot going on, but it's fast as hell and the rules are simple, but a ton of fun.

I never liked Iron Man, every location I played it at shots are really tough to make. Ramps are way too steep and while the reject roll back isn't brutal, it's never fun to deal with.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Ryuga Death: Check out PAPA's site and look through their "Learning Center" section. It really helped me understand and develop pinball techniques.

Also, just be aware that you probably won't be able to do a lot of the tricks on most physical tables. It took me a long time to get comfortable doing dead bounces (letting the ball bounce from one idle flipper to the other) as a lot of tables had dead rubber and the ball would drain instead of bounce.

I was fortunate enough to play a few collector tables that were in TIP-TOP shape, and I was really able to exercise a lot of tricks and techniques that I couldn't have done on a lot of other tables.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

But it's a pretty intuitive dog to be fair.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

:lol:

Not sure if that was intentional but I laughed.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

:pray: Please be TAF.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Ryuga Death posted:

It'd be nice if they could release a huge bugfix patch so I could properly play Twilight Zone. :smith:

Does the physical table do a ball search after Lost in the Zone? Basically every other time I get LitZ in TPA a ball gets pinched by the top right flipper and fucks the game real hard.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

King Vidiot posted:

Aaand I think they just sold another copy of Season 3 :shepspends:

Ditto.

Also if I buy season 3, can I help out with the kickstarter? Or does that basically get added to the kickstarter just by virtue? Obviously if I donate to the kickstarter, it won't give me a discount on the price of S3.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Eegah posted:

I got a feeling FS or Apple got complaints from some folks who paid for Season 2 early on only to get saddled with half a dozen lovely Gottlieb tables but who knows.

Wait, I can do that? I felt REALLY ripped off and I even bought that stupid season pass halfway through. I just kept thinking to myself "They can't ALL be Gottlieb games". So wrong.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Went to a monthly pinball tournament last night that was single elimination...
At least I cleared up my evening pretty quickly. :sigh:

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

breaks posted:

Was that the one at buffalo billiards? I wanted to go but couldn't make it, hoping to next month. How was it?

Yeah, this was their second one.

It's good! BB is my favorite pinball spot outside of Pinballz. They've got a dedicated owner/operator and he really puts a lot of effort into adding/maintaining machines. He even has custom signs for the little upstairs alcove dedicated to pinball. Prices are fair too and the match game % isn't dialed in at some ridiculous number.

Next months event was actually published in the Austin Chronicle, so it might have a bigger turnout.

prefect posted:

Do they have cameras set up so that you can see what's going on on the tables without having to lean over the player's shoulder?

Not at this one unfortunately, they have done it in the past though. Fortunately it's not too crowded so you don't have to hover or step back.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Went to a bar last night to play some LAH, some rear end in a top hat kept bugging me about super obvious poo poo. He even had to balls to reach over and hit the Smart Missile button when nothing was lit. Who does that!?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Tony Phillips posted:

Pretty sure I'm gonna have to become the troll bomb bandit now.

If he were wearing a black bandana with eye-holes cut out, and then announced that he was "The Bomb Bandit" I would've let it slide.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Also, bleeps are way more hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Nice. Score rollovers are awesome.

Also, is there a database/spreadsheet with peoples various online pinball usernames listed?
I was playing some of Zen's Star Wars Pinball and I noticed none of my friends in Game Center have it.
As far as TPA goes, I've got two friends who I've added but they both stopped playing.