Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Obeast posted:

Good Old Games has some older pinball games that are suppose to be pretty good for their age. I haven't played any of them except for Pro Pinball Timeshock (which my brother rented on PlayStation a long time ago), so I dunno which one is the best. But, GOG is nice since their stuff is install-and-play, has no DRM to worry about, and is optimized to work flawlessly on modern PCs. The only downside I can see is that there aren't any online leaderboards if that's something you want.

Big Race USA is pretty good, but Timeshock is their masterpiece I'd say. Unfortunately, the version they have is the DOS one, which doesn't go up to as high a resolution as the Windows version, which is odd because the disc I bought on release works fine on Windows 7.

I bought the Pinball Gold Pack during a sale when it was like $3 or something. For the price it was pretty good, and I've gotten a ton of play out of it. The physics are generally crummy, but some of the tables are pretty well designed, and if you have a tolerance for their weirdness it's well worth picking up.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
If you're ever in Chicago, Logan Hardware at Western and Fullerton has five tables in pretty great repair, all in free play (you just have to purchase something at the record store out front). The highlight is definitely Pinbot, which I didn't like that much in the emulated Williams collection, but I can't get enough of the real version. The lights for it are so drat awesome.

The most popular table they have there is definitively Dr. Who, which is only okay in my opinion.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Looking forward to Epic Quest, though I'm not terribly looking forward to more voice acting.

Also, I only have one friend that plays Marvel Pinball/Zen Pinball. Can y'all friend me on PSN: bvigeant?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I said "I won't double dip on this, so I'll wait until March for the PS3 version," and then I went and downloaded it this morning immediately. I'm the worst.

EDIT: And then ponied up $9 for all tables.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 9, 2012

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Playing it on the iPhone today has been a bit crummy since it's too small a screen, but it has given me a much greater appreciation for Black Hole, which is sparser and easier to parse out on a tiny screen than the other three.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The General posted:

I really dislike the art direction of Epic Quest. I would have liked something less like a fantasy Dudley Doright.

I agree. I've enjoyed the bits I've played so far, but the reliance on goofy voice acting has really soured a lot of the experience for me. It reminds me a bit of Deathspank, which I didn't like that much either.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

japtor posted:

This is kind of random, but anyone try Frogger Pinball (iOS)? I noticed it on the Silverball Studios site and gave it a shot (with the lite version)...and it kind of reminded me of Metroid Prime Pinball, if it had a super colorful happy theme and bugs, but almost no sound/music budget. I'm wondering how the full game (with more tables) is now cause it seems like it could be oddly fun like Metroid was. I got into it a bit once the weird rear end Frogger ball stopped distracting me.

It's a much easier Metroid Pinball. I enjoyed it, but it lost my attention pretty quickly since it was pretty difficult to lose a ball in it.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

ZebTM posted:

For anyone who plays/played Pro Pinball: Big Race USA, what if anything does earning money do? I haven't been able to figure this out.

You use cash to buy stuff at Jays, which is the left orbit. The stuff he has either gives you more cash (lottery ticket), the airbag (airbag), bonuses during certain racers speedway challenge (engine, spoilers, etc), or control of which city you go to next (compass, city guide). If you have a ton of cash you can start the big race as well.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

ZebTM posted:

thanks. for some reason ive only ever seen lottery tickets and fortune cookies for sale there.

It only shows items that you can afford. If you get more money, then you'll see everything else.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

Why is that? Is it some nostalgia thing? I think as long as it's fun, then what does it matter how recent the table came out? My two cents though.

I used to disdain Stern tables, but I recently came around. There's a Spiderman nearby my apartment and it's fun as hell. I'm also really digging Ripleys on PA. I prefer non-licensed Williams and Bally stuff, but given the fact that this is what they have to do in order to survive, I'll deal.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

sethsez posted:

Yeah, I know it's got a lot of people who hate it, and to be fair it is really difficult. I just love the presentation and the feel of getting a good game going on it, more than pretty much any other table for some reason.

I didn't like Pinbot when I played it in the Williams Collection, but an arcade near me has a Pinbot in excellent condition, and played in a dark room it's a treat. Like BoP it has a great presentation and when you succeed you feel like a badass.

The arcade has a couple other good pins (Dr. Who, Johnny Mnemonic, Space Station) by I spend most of my time on Pinbot. That said, if it wasn't on free play, I would probably hate it.

A new arcade/bar opening near me is gonna have BoP, I'm really jazzed about it.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

No, but you were 12 when Williams folded. Without any nostalgia pull factoring into your pinball experience you are just as likely to enjoy the video gamey end of the spectrum as you are the practical tables (or virtual recreations thereof). All I'm saying is that dudes who are 35+ today have a built-in bias against Pinball FX. Surely some in this demographic love that product, but there is a bias is all.

I'm also 25, but I grew up with two tables in my house and regular visits to an arcade so I don't think it's really exclusive to those ten years older than me, but probably more likely.

For the record, I hated ZP for the PS3, and then when Marvel Pinball came out I gave it a shot and liked it much more. Pinball Arcade is better and the tables are ridiculously better, but ZP is still fun to go to every now and again.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Man, Voltaire doesn't disappoint at all, what a fun table. I can't wait until it comes out on the consoles.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I dropped into a bowling alley near my apartment to play an Addams Family I knew they had, and was surprised to find they just added a T2 and an F14 Tomcat. I didn't play too much of T2, but F14 is fun as hell. Speedy, smooth design, easy shots, and just a fun time all around.

I also got to play AC/DC recently, and really enjoyed it too. Unfortunately, it wasn't the pro version with the lower playfield, but it was pretty fun to play something that wasn't even a year old. Even the Spiderman I've played pretty regularly feels a bit worn in, and it isn't that old. I seem to be on a Steve Richie binge.

quote:

Especially Genie, such a slow table, so much open space, so so boring.

I have came across one of these lately too, and in person it's pretty fun. Maybe I'm a bit bowled over by the spectacle of a wide loving table though, goddamn thing is huge.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 2, 2012

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

That's probably one of the best Stern backglasses in a while. The dumb toys don't really bother me, but man the photo backglasses for stuff like AC/DC were ugly as hell. I like the look of the whole table, and I hope to find a bar with one soon.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Considering this is the first time they were able to do a simultaneous launch of iOS and Android without any major fuckups, I'd say this is a pretty big step forward for Farsight.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Same Great Paste posted:

Anyone tried the Avengers pack yet? (Apparently it's available on PSN in NA).

Care to give some initial thoughts to those of us stuck at work?

I just picked it up and played the four over an hour. Really early impressions, but this is probably their best bunch of Marvel tables yet. There's a much better sense of flow for them, and while I haven't delved into the rules, they all seem relatively straight forward. Of the four so far, World War Hulk is definitely my favorite. Easy shots, easy to combo, fun theme.

I'll definitely revise my opinion over time, but just with a quick playthrough I'm pretty happy with them.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

robot roll call posted:

Bride of Pinbot is awesome and creepy.

Bride of Pinbot looks absolutely fantastic. I've played it to death on my phone, and I still had a ball playing it tonight.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

delfin posted:

Creature shares the same physics issues as many of the other Farsight games -- instead of being easy to pound the center shots and a little more challenging to hit the outside shots, it's reversed. Or at least that's what I've encountered comparing Farsight's to real life MM, Bash, Funhouse and Creatures I've played. Far from insurmountable though.

That's odd, because at least for Creature, I have a tougher time with the left and right orbits than with the left and right ramps. I just played on a real Creature, and while the PA version is much easier, the left ramp is just as easy to continually combo.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Was any one else able to make it out to any of the X-Men launch parties last night? I live in Chicago, so all the Stern guys were there as well. I got to talk a little bit with Gary, and talked a while with John Borg. Further up in the thread, someone posted that Gary isn't a big fan of video pinball, but John is really happy about Harley Davidson coming out on Pinball Arcade.

I didn't get to play too much X-Men last night, as the place was understandably mobbed. The few times I did get to play I had a pretty good time with it, but I didn't get enough time to really look into the rules. I took a shot with the tournament game anyway and posted my best score of the night (10 million) but was eventually knocked from the leaderboards.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I had a pretty good first ball, and I just blew it with my other two. Given that most of the other real pinball I play is on machines that aren't particularly well maintained, when I am able to play these new Sterns (AC/DC and now X-Men) it takes me a while to adjust

That said, I really liked the layout, and I'm a sucker for magnets on the table. I liked that the pops caught the orbit if you shot on the right, and the multiballs were super fun.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Tasteful Bulge posted:

I had COMPLETELY forgotten about the last pack of PinballFX tables. Just getting around to actually playing them for real, and I noticed that it doesn't seem to be very popular. I just had a pretty good round of World War Hulk, only to discover that only like four people on my friends list has it.

Was it overlooked or overshadowed by TPA?

I don't know about the other three tables just yet, but I like WWH so far. The table is fast, fluid, and while the goals aren't too clear at first, once you get going, it's one of their better ones overall, I feel.

I think it was overlooked, and also it was designed to be a movie tie-in and then came out a month or two late because of the lovely approvals process. Maybe someone at Microsoft hates pinball.

The Avengers pack was pretty good, but at least for me having the option of fake Williams and Bally tables makes it less of a contest, even though ZP has never crashed for me. Or had a ball clip through a flipper.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Well holy gently caress, those graphics :stare:

Holy poo poo. Timeshock is one of my favorite tables of all time. I can't wait until this is real.

Parallax Scroll posted:

Very nice. The new Pro Pinball is only coming on iOS isn't it?

Nope!

Pro Pinball Revived posted:

we want to fully ‘Remaster’ the four original classic Pro Pinball tables, also initially for PC, Mac and iOS.

They also want to make a fifth table designed by Pat Lawlor.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

MarxCarl posted:

While doing some research on if I want to buy a physical table or not, I found Topcast.

At random I picked Python Angehlo's as the first, and was kind of puzzled why they started with a disclaimer that his views don't reflect their own. Then he started talking. I think it's only three minutes in before Python asks them if they've ever read Ayn Rand and less before he just starts badmouthing other designers.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Since Creature has such a cramped table, you pretty much need to always hit the shots correctly, or you're in trouble. Shots like the snack bar and the combo shot to the pops are a lot easier from the left flipper, but you'll usually need to make them when they're in your right flipper. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to post transfer on Creature, if you just cradle it on your right and quickly flip it so it heads to the left.

I'd have a much higher score on Creature if the ball didn't loving clip through the flipper every now and again. I hope that's fixed in the next iOS update.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah, I just tried again this morning and it worked! Maybe it was Apple's fault (this time).

The lights are still broken for me on Medieval Madness. Is that true for everyone else?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I have a new family member.

Awesome. If you figure any decent strategies to beat any of the villains on it, let me know. I'm okay racking up X-Men, but I haven't been able to crack any of the villain modes on X-Men at the nearby bar.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I can usually get one, maybe two villains down. It's not easy that's for sure, but when in doubt, shoot for the blackbird. It will award you villain selection.

Villain selection I can do, it's just completing them. Too goddamn many shots to get them down. I should spend more time on it though.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

Tesla is a frustrating table because that second flipper up into the Tesla Coils takes nothing short of perfect timing to accomplish. It's the most important ramp in the game and also the most impossible. The task to complete all of the mission modes is Herculean to say the least. I've only completed one or maybe two tops.

For some reason a bunch of Zen tables are really assholey about starting modes. I guess they're trying to increase playtime.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Boxman posted:

So I finally got a chance to go to CP Pinball and that place really is great.

I went there a couple weeks ago and had a blast. If you're in the St. Louis area I also recommend the Silver Ballroom which doesn't have anything that CP doesn't, but it's a great bar with plenty of good tables. City Museum also has a handful of EMs on their second floor.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

ImPureAwesome posted:

At this point, I think Steam would be cool, but do they really need another platform to break things on?

They design all the tables for the Xbox and everything else is ported from that. It probably will be a lot easier for them to send it to Steam and also be on time about it.

That said - this IS Farsight.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

Apparently Scared Stiff and Big Shot are available for iOS, along with a "Pro Menu" for Tales of the Arabian Nights. This has stuff like an Operator's menu and custom balls.

I can't test them since I'm on Android, but hope they're fun!

Just bought them. I might be eating my words a bit later, but I think they made Scared Stiff a bit too easy. Even with everything slightly easier than their real world counterparts, I shouldn't be able to get three extra balls on my first play. That said, I had a pretty great early game of Monster Bash when it came out, and I haven't been able to get near that score.

The operators menu for TOTAN is $4, for that table only. I'm pretty curious, but in terms of cost, that's kind of ridiculous. I didn't get that, but if someone does, I'd like to hear their thoughts. I'll probably buy it when they get to tables I enjoy (I like Ripleys much more than most I think).

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Awesome. Been stoked for the TZ table ever since they first announced the kickstarter.

So far they've been cagey about saying that it will drop in November, but I have read them saying that they plan on releasing it in 2012, so a December release is possible.

I imagine that the Powerball is the hardest thing for them to get right, because that thing can be unpredictable.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

MarxCarl posted:

- Prices on physical pins that are in Pinball Arcade are going up, Ripleys was cited, seemed Stern wants more pins in it now due to this.

This is pretty neat, especially considering that earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that Gary was fairly dismissive of it. Maybe they'll help PA get some of the licensing, because I'd love to play LOTR, Spiderman, or some of the other decent Sterns on there.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Got to try out Transformers though... wasn't terribly impressed.

Of the recent Sterns I've played, Transformers is definitely the weakest. None of the modes really interest me.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Der-Wreck posted:

AC/DC is a pretty weak table too. Classic Steve Ritchie design, what with the two ramps but it too has a nasty STDM shot, Hell's Bell, and how that center lane is the drop-out for the bumpers. The only thing to really do is light multiball then go from there.

I adore AC/DC, both versions. The pro version is a lot faster, since it doesn't have any drop targets, but man does it have one of my favorite rulesets for any Stern. Lyman Sheats and Ritchie are a perfect team, and this and Spiderman are two of my favorites. It's also hard as poo poo. I learned how to be a better nudger from playing a ton of games of AC/DC.

I liked X-Men on release, but I've sort of chilled on it a bit.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

True. I guess it takes something away from it being a special kickstarter thing if they're offering it with the next update though. Here's the full "press release" from pin wiz, who is this guy who says he has no affiliation with Farsight, yet he always has the information first and is basically their default press guy

The funny thing is that they have a dude whose job it is to post on Facebook/Pinball Arcade forums, but it seems like Pinwiz is always much more on top of it.

Unless they're the same guy :tinfoil:

I'd complain about TZ coming out late, but then I would complain about it having a buggy release. Maybe all these beta testers might do some good.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I imagine that Farsight isn't terribly interested in a lot of legal wrangling, so I'd bet that we'd get it as is, just since it's such a curiosity that people want to see anyway.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Toady posted:

I expected getting the free copies of Twilight Zone to be a hassle, and FarSight has met my expectations. I have yet to successfully redeem the game on OS X or iOS.

I didn't have too much trouble on iOS. As they said in the email, logout and log back in, and if it still doesn't work, force quit the app and reopen it and do the same. I did this on both the phone and the iPad, and got TZ right away.

BTW - I just played a game of TZ, and they did a pretty good job. A couple minor graphical issues (the gumball machine shimmers weird, the powerball looks like a normal pinball), but it plays well.

EDIT: hahaha - never mind, now it doesn't think I bought any tables. Oh well.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Niwrad posted:

We have the same problem here in Chicago. It's practically impossible to open an arcade because of laws so they are all out in the far suburbs (the ones that allow them). Obviously we aren't in the golden age of arcades anymore, but an unreported aspect of their downfall is how they got legislated out of so many areas.

I talked to the guy who owns all the tables at the Bottom Lounge (the best place in the city proper to play pinball, trailed by Logan Hardware) and he lamented how difficult and expensive it is to get them in the bar, get them licensed, ontop of the regular maintenance demands of a pinball table.

That all said, it must have loosened a bit what with Headquarters and Emporium opening up. The thing is that neither of them are run by people who know what they're doing with their pinball tables. Emporium got their X-Men on release, and now it's a filthy, decaying, mess that they don't try to maintain. The two tables at Headquarters are in decent shape, but need tune ups and probably aren't getting them.

This is why I'm taking a second roadtrip down to St. Louis in February. Great place for pinball.