Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I just downloaded pinbot and played a few games. More than half my balls have gone directly down the left drain after bouncing around the pop bumpers where they land after launch. I don't think it has anything to do with the skill shot since it seems to end up in the pop bumpers regardless of which hole you hit. Are you supposed to have to nudge the thing or what?

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Put some hyperthins, LED lights and a few coats of wax on my buddies Getaway that he keeps at our friends bar. I'm as bad at this table as I am High Speed, but I'll be damned if shifting gears isn't one of the best gimmicks in pinball.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Picked up this little guy for $650 last night, my first and only pin. The cabinet and playfield are in really good shape and the backglass is mint. It needs a tuneup and a kicker rebuild but there is no battery leakage and everything seems to be functional. The only real problem is that the ramp is broken and the PO patched it with duct tape. Does anyone know where I could find a replacement? It's obviously a game specific part and by the looks of how it wore, I imagine a common break.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I poked around pinside and it looks like Twisted Pins is planning on doing a reproduction of the ramps sometime this year. Until that happens, I will likely be playing with a duct taped ramp.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

roffels posted:

It was the first table I bought and it quickly taught me not all pinball games are fun. The theme and art are pretty good though.
I like the theme as much as any other kid who was born in the 80s, but I mainly just bought it because it seemed like a good deal. 90s DMD machines just do not go for less than $1k around here, certainly not in this kind of shape. I'll probably have a thousand into it by the time I'm done with it, maybe more if I do LEDs, but I should be able to get that back out of it pretty easily. I can tell the gameplay will not have a lot of staying power and I don't really have room for it so once it's cleaned up I'll probably either trade it towards a different machine or stick it at my buddys bar and let hipsters pump it full of quarters.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The Joe Man posted:

Road Show is loving bullshit btw

Take it back. A Williams wide body with two talking heads will transcend even the most bizarre theme, racist voiceovers and lovely country music that pinball has ever seen.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

I've never played Dracula, but I've heard great things about it.
A buddy and I have been assembling a small pin arcade in the back room of our friends bar. There is room for 6 machines and we have 4 in there already, one of which is Dracula. I can say it is the single most challenging table I've ever played, but also very rewarding. We play with the outlanes wide open and lightning flippers, so it really requires a ton of ball control. I've watched people play who don't know how to pass, slap save or drop catch and they just end up getting really frustrated. When you miss your shot there is probably a 50% chance of draining. The rewarding part is the audio, DMD animations and super deep ruleset. You can stack all three multiball modes building up to 600 million + shots, and the ramps feel incredible when you hit them. Extra balls are frequent, multiball comes often and easily and we leave the match set pretty high to compensate for the brutality of the game. This way even if you have a poo poo game, as long as you make a few good shots you feel like you got your $.50 worth.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Clouseau posted:

Stern is announcing their next title on Friday, but they just dropped a completely unsubtle hint that it was The Walking Dead. According to the various gossip floating around it's going to be based on the TV show which is a bit of a bummer (if it was the comic they'd have a bit more leeway with the art). The designer is probably John Borg (Metallica, X-Men, Tron) since it's his turn in the lineup. I'm looking forward to it, mostly because those last three games are pretty dang good (the most recent code update for X-Men pushed it up a notch for me). I would guess that Lyman Sheats is heading up coding for this since Lonnie was the lead for Star Trek and Mustang.
There was an insert in the new Blu-ray with the Stern logo on it that specifically said "AMCs The Walking Dead". It's definitely licensed from the show. Which is probably smart, a lot more people watch the show than read the graphic novel and it will be recognizable even to people who don't watch it since commercials are everywhere. I just hope the artwork is at least hand drawn.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I'm as burned out on Zombies as the next guy, but these classic rock band themes have got to stop. If it takes a zombie pinball machine to respark the interest in horror themes, then I'm all for it. Also Mustang is easily the worst pinball machine I've ever played.

If anyone lives in NE Indiana and likes drinking beer and playing pinball, we are putting together a small league. Right now we have 4 machines on site with a 5th being cleaned up. We probably only have room for 6-8 machines but can always take field trips if we get bored with them. It's super casual and we haven't even solidified all the details yet. We are gonna meet up next Tuesday to get it started and plan on every other week after that. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

My iOS Pinball Arcade forgets high scores all the time. It's totally random when it happens and on what games. I've had it forget goals too, but less often and not always related to the high scores. It's not a huge deal but I'm just wondering if it's common or not.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

prefect posted:

Am I going to want to play High Speed once the sequel is available? There's one wizard goal I still haven't been able to manage. :ohdear:

That 250k ramp bonus is a bitch ain't it?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Headed up to Expo on Saturday to sell my TMNT and ended up hanging out till 3am. I'm not sure how it was earlier in the week but this really reinforced how small the hobby is. It was pretty full but still one of the smallest hobby events like that I've ever attended. I got to play some pretty rare stuff like Big Bang Bar and Bad Cats but my favorites were defiantly Congo, Rollergames and Starship Troopers. I think one of those or the always classic World Cup Soccer need to be my next purcahse. It was also cool to meet Todd Tuckey and Steve Richie and buy a bunch of parts that I've been too cheap to pay shipping on.

The Big Lebowski looks great but I didn't wait in line to play it before the banquet and after that part opened back up it was gone. Predator has cool call outs and animations if you understand how awesome that movie is, but the gameplay is nothing memorable, a ramp on each side and a bank of pops right in the middle, the right outlane was pretty much a vacuum for my balls. The developer said they are going to do a run of 250 games priced at $4750, which seems like a great way to lose money after that small of a production volume and paying Fox for the license. Americans Most Haunted has some great shots and fun modes, but the theme is way too cutesy for me, be real horror or be nothing. I also played one game of that new sport bike racing game with the LCD screen under the playfield, I don't remember what it's called but that game is FAST. The flippers were so powerful they made Data Easts look anemic, which would scare me as an owner since there is that huge x shaped plastic ramp in the middle that will probably shatter after a few hit from those. The Walking Dead was totally forgettable and felt like a generic zombie game more than based off of source material. There is some cool stuff about it but it's definitely more along the lines of a Mustang Stern than a LOTR Stern. It's a little too early to be judge the Hobbit, but the one thing I will say is that it feel very wide open. I think WOZ utilized the wide body machine very well with all the toys and mini games where this just has long shots and a lot of dead space, reminds me of STTNGs use of the wide cabinet.

Add on some deepdish and chicago dogs and it was def worth the trip. Plus my buddy bought a Taxi and I grabbed this

I AM THE LAW

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Clouseau posted:

Oh dude. Good choice. That game loving rocks. I love its variation on "Move your car"
I had never played it till this weekend but after the maybe 10 games I've played I'm hooked. I love how fast it is, it might be the best flowing game I've ever played. Every single shot leads back to a flipper, there are no pop bumpers to slow it down, and there is only one kickout that returns so fast I thought it was staged before looking underneath. This one is so clean it could be brand new, the guy even gave me the uninstalled deadworld mod, it was quite the score.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Clouseau posted:

For your money, you probably get more game per pound on Judge Dredd and Demolition Man, which both generally go for less than you think they would (crummy licenses, I guess).

When I swung in on Thursday there weren't that many games on sale, I guess the real market opens up on the weekend. I've been planning on maybe picking something up at MGC next year.
Yeah I like this title a lot better than Demo Man, mainly because it's based off the comic, not the movie that came out two years after the machine. I paid $1800 for it and I'm starting to think it might be the best value in pinball, at least now since the previous value winning system 11 games have been skyrocketing in price. I didn't actually buy this one at expo, it just happened to be in Chicago so we grabbed it on the way home.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Der-Wreck posted:

Judge Dredd is a wicked title but beware of the Deadworld mod. It looks amazing but it comes with a lot of problems. I was at a friend's house once and he had the Deadworld mod on his Dredd machine. It malfunctioned and the crane magent wouldn't release the balls. the crane kept moving back and forth but because the balls were still stuck it wouldn't move back over the locks and it eventually short-circuited the crane. Just a word of warning that if you do install it, just keep an eye on that crane.
I'm not going to use it, this is going on location and you can only use that mod in free play.

Collateral Damage posted:

There's a reason the deadworld locks were removed from the production machines. They never worked right.

Also with the bike game I assume you mean Full Throttle?
Sounds right.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Domus posted:

The real bitch is finding a replacement motor if your motor goes. Have fun with that.
This machine has a new one, and Steve Young rebuilds them for about $150 worst case scenario.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

Attack From Mars feels like an easier, yet more technical version of Medieval Madness (vaguely similar layout with the big target up the middle and bumpers in the right).

It's easy to keep the ball in play- even just banging the ball around, it's less likely to go in, but the ramps and passages are narrower; it teaches slower play to line up shots.

They're practically the same game. I much prefer AFM not just because the theme and callouts cater more to my tastes, but it doesn't have those horrible drainbait trolls. You need to complete them to progress but they are way too close to the flippers and you're almost guaranteed to drain at some point when battling them. They just destroy the flow of an otherwise beautifully set up playfield and slow the game down to a halt.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I still have High Speed and Pinbot cartridges for NES, I'll have to hook it up one of these days and see how the physics hold up.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, me too. I can't reliably pull off the pass where you bounce it off the bottom of the slingshot, in TPA or real life. Part of the problem is the price you pay for screwing up; it's pretty much an automatic drain.
Depends a ton on the condition of the flippers and what kind of rubber they have on them. I can do it in TPA almost without fail, but it takes a couple drains to get to know a machine in real life before you get a feel for it. Superbands don't have enough bounce and I can't usually do it even with freshly rebuilt flippers. Black rubbers are perfect for it and unless the flippers are really tired I should be able to do it consistently even with lightning flippers. Red rubbers have too much bounce and I occasionally end up having to smack it up the playfield instead of catching it in a cradle, still worth trying most of the time. Games like BSD and the Elvira games will make you good at it since the ramps always feed back to the same flipper forcing you to eventually pass it over. Especially BSD, because you can't just smack it upfield and hope it lands on that flipper, no game punishes you for it more. Something like Taxi or Judge Dredd makes you lazy about it, because you can just use the ramps to pass the ball over the other flipper.

Not all games have the same amount of flipper control either. For example Data East solid state flippers give 50 volts for like 8 milliseconds then switch to 8 volts for the hold. Being on a timer gives a very different feel than something like a Williams who used a physical end of stroke switch even after switching to solid state flipper control. Virtual pinball obviously uses the same physics no matter what game they are making, but the one thing that drives me nuts is not being able to control the lower and upper flippers independently, that's a huge hindrance during multiball.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 29, 2014

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Werthog 95 posted:

Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball actually support the multi-state flipper button, or whatever it's called, on platforms with analog buttons. I thought the PS3 version was glitched until I realized the upper flipper wasn't flipping because I wasn't pressing the button hard enough. Guess you're out of luck otherwise, though.
Oh nice I didn't know that, but yes I only have bought tables on iOS so I guess I'll stick to flailing during multiball.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

ReverendHammer posted:

Is Dracula supposed to be somewhat easy? I think tonight was only the third time I've played it in TPA, and I ended up getting a shitload of extra balls (other that the one given for the replay score) and a score of 640M.
Yes and no, the rules are simple but the shots are difficult to execute. That's an okay score but a good multi-multi ball game should be well over a billion, especially with a few extra balls. Really it comes down to how consistently you can hit that left ramp, you will be awarded bats bonuses, extra balls and of course castle and coffin locks.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Anybody ever use those Rottendog MPU/driver board combos for System 3-7s? My Flash won't boot and when I pulled the board out to replace the Scanbe sockets I noticed a lot of soot on the back like some diodes had given up their smoke. Also the 40 pin connector that joins them together is looking pretty flakey so I'm thinking a shotgun approach might be the best solution.

It's insane how it keeps the rom for every game on board and you just select which one you want, the future is now.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

TheMcD posted:

Does somebody know all the tables that have a "Midnight Madness" mode? I don't mean the ToM one, but rather the special multiball mode that shows up on some games when you play a game when midnight hits. Who Dunnit has it, Junk Yard has it, and Timeshock has it too, but beyond that I don't know any more.
No but I can tell you Congo does for sure. I didn't even know that was a thing until I was playing Congo at 11:59 and the game started to freak out. Coolest poo poo ever, I really want Congo to be my next machine.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I always thought Taxi was just okay. Then my friend picked one up and put it in our pinball room at a buddies bar. After a few weeks of play and getting to know the rules forwards and backwards...Taxi is the only thing in my life that matters.

I have always been a fan of the System 11 rulesets, simple enough that you always know what you're supposed to do but deep enough to keep you coming back. Taxi stands out because it has the perfect amount of difficulty and balanced scoring. There is no ball save and all the shots are somewhat dangerous and challenging, but all obtainable. Things like the ramp shots give you no reward unless you can hit them consistently and even then it usually just activates a timed shot. Ball lock lets you make another skill shot, which is a true spring plunger requiring actual skill. Two ball multiball is my favorite multiball, especially when it involves a physical lock. In games with 3+ balls during multiball it's just chaos until you get down to 2 balls anyway, so this thing cuts right to the chase and gives you control from the start. Multiball activates two new challenges, both of which require precise control over each ball and reward you with a few hundred thousand points and a ringing of the bell. Other than this your only scoring benefit to having two balls on the table is that you can hit twice as many targets. Taxis multiball isn't some magical ticket to scoring millions of points like in so many WPC games.

This is all well and good, I would be happy playing Taxi until I'm dead simply based upon the aforementioned attributes. Where this machine really shines however, is in tournament play. We play this multiplayer constantly and it really is a different game when you do. If you locked a ball, you had better release it or the next player will. Sure you wanna spell cab for that multiplier, but it's also gonna raise the jackpot and if the player after you had carry passengers and just needs Santa to light it, you're only increasing his score. If you can hit the ramps consistently it's probably safer and more efficient to give airport rides until million is lit, but what if that jackpot hasn't been gotten for a while? Now the strategy changes to picking up characters and nailing that 3.2 mil jackpot before someone else does. The rarity of obtaining extra balls and the fact that the pickups reset after each drain really enhances the skill level required to score well in this game. A couple lucky pickups isn't going to get you on the scoreboard when we all start fresh with each ball. There is no one quick trick to exploit in order to rack up a huge score, both million and jackpot take several difficult shots to be executed before lighting. When our league plays people are usually wandering about while other players play, but when we played Taxi people were gathered around wringing their hands together just waiting to see who stole the ball you locked. If there's a better multiplayer game for hyper-competitive assholes like us who just want to burn their opponents to the ground and jump up and down on their ashes, I am yet to find it.

Overall:
Theme - Good integration I guess, who really cares.
Artwork - Weird.
Sound - "You give to me ride!"
Rules - The best in pinball.
Playfield Layout - I honestly wouldn't change a thing.
Toys - A real live steel bell in the cabinet that lets the entire neighborhood know you just stole an opponents ball plus a lite up topper that looks like they ripped it off an actual cab.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 26, 2014

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Discount Viscount posted:

Except maybe Taxi because the loving crossover bonus or whatever is glitched as hell. I've done it like 5 times and it hasn't registered.
It has to be pretty exact. I've only gotten it once by accident but can get it pretty regularly by hitting it into Drac and then shooting the other ball up the right ramp a second or so later.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Niwrad posted:

What do you use to clean playfields? Seems like so much conflicting information. I've been using a little bit of Simple Green with microfiber towels. And a straight carnuba wax after. There are some mild ball trails on my Gofers that I want to get rid of but scared to use anything more harsh. Any recommendations?
Try some Novus #2 on the ball trails, it's a mildly abrasive plastic polish that can do wonders on clearcoats and mylar.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

TheMcD posted:

EDIT: So, T2 scoring is basically broken, right? As far as I can tell, at least in TPA, it's just "Chase Loops all day, bro" because the catch is pretty much always safe.

EDIT2: Yeah, Chase Loops all day, bro. 1.6 billion on my first try, up from my previous high score of 30 million. Top 50 score, and I could have gone higher had my eyes not started glazing over at the tedium of it all.
I'll have to try that, never really noticed it as a shot to exploit, but I've also only scored like 200 million. I would usually go for it because it's the safest shot in the game and getting good at hitting it consistently is important for scoring the Hurry Up quickly. I always thought the center left shot under the Terminator toy was the most important since it does so many things and I have such a hard time hitting it.

I used to think No Fear was just an improved version of T2, but now that I've been playing T2 more I think it might actually be better. The jump shot in No Fear is awesome, and the magnet acceleration keep it super challenging but otherwise the game is almost too easy. I also miss having pops/lane changing, but perhaps that's because I keep a Judge Dredd right next to it which also lacks pops.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

TheMcD posted:

I get a similar feeling. I broke the top 100 twice so far - 594 million on Champion Pub for #83, and 1.612 billion for #48 on Terminator 2. Then all I've got is a few top 1000 scores (on like six tables) and that's about it - sub-#5000 stuff abounds otherwise. Especially on contested tables like Attack from Mars and Medieval Madness. I have no idea how you even get remotely close to top scores on those tables.
I had an AFM game where I got Ruler of the Universe twice and was playing for at least 45 min. I thought for sure it would be somewhere in the top 500 or so. I checked afterwards and was like 1336th. Those top 100 are all like 7-800 billion, those games must take hours, my nerves would be shot after a session like that.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

LordPants posted:

^^ edit: speaking of that my Dracula score is like, a tenth of one of the goons I have on my friends list.
Yeah Dracula is very much an all or nothing game. You can go from a laughable score to the top of the leaderboards in a matter of minuets with all three multis stacked and a big castle jackpot.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

LordPants posted:

You'd have to be in pretty deep to want Pro Mode. I mean, You can turn off Family Mode on Scared Stiff and have Elvira say a bunch of raunchy stuff like "I'm having multiple jackpots" which personally I think is funny and worth the $5 but otherwise, no I don't think the average person will care.
So is family mode normally on when you don't have the pro mode? Family mode is off as the factory setting.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Has there been any news on when we'll see Addams Family?
February 2015. Earthshaker is due out any day and I imagine Starship Troopers or maybe High Speed II will be the January release.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I think Troopers is pretty good, certainly better than the first two trash games that came out this season. It's a bash for points kinda game but theme and call outs are top notch and there are some super satisfying shots. I'm wondering how they are going to integrate they second flipper button on ios though.

Has anyone heard if Earthshaker with utilize the vibration function on capable devices?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

"You got an arm like a wet rag!"

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

roffels posted:

I usually like to use LEDs in my games, but this one just doesn't look right with them. Aside from a spotlight, a few under the ramps, and under the slings, I stuck with incandescents. Taxi doesn't look right bathed in LED light.
On older tables I use incans for bulbs you can actually see, under enclosed plastics and especially in the backbox I use LEDs for energy/heat savings and long life. If you use warm whites they look pretty much the same once diffused though glass or plastic. I also color match non-ghosting LEDs for inserts 100% of the time, they are so much brighter and richer in color that you will never wonder where your shot is.

I've come around to superbands. I started using them on my machines that are on location because of how clean they stay and now I'd never use anything else. They last forever and look great, even talked my buddy into putting some black ones on his Taxi and after a few weeks he bought a purple set for his Twilight Zone.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Niwrad posted:

The Taxi looks great. I still want to get myself a Diner at some point (love the theme!). I agree that incadescent is the way to go with it. Just looks much better from what I've seen.

My problem with LEDs on inserts is the flickering. I did buy that board that supposedly fixes that but haven't had the time to really mess with it yet.

You can buy non-ghosting bulbs, they are a little more money than the standards but worth every penny to not have your inserts flickering or lightly glowing.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Non-ghosting doesn't fix the strobing effect. The strobing really only can be seen by some people and I'm unfortunately one of them. This is the device I bought, it goes into more detail on what it fixes.

http://ledocd.com/faq_led.html

Perhaps I'm not sensitive to it, but the Comet ones I've bought that claim minimal strobing seem to have fixed it in any noticeable level.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Junkyard is supposed to be on sale today for $0.99 but it's not showing up for me in iOS. Is this working for any of you?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Speaking of Season 2, I recently bought the whole pack and I have to say... it's nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe. In fact the only real "stinker" is Class of 1812 and I can still tolerate that one because it's so cheesy. Terminator 2 has become one of my new favorites, Dr. Dude is another fun one from the guy who made the Elvira tables, even Victory is pretty good. Goin' Nuts is just... inexplicable, but I like it for how much it feels like a Chuck E. Cheese ticket redemption machine.

Between Seasons 1 and 2 I'd say my absolute least favorite is Harley Davidson, and that's from Season 1. Both of the newer Sterns in Season 1 are pretty bad, but Ripley's at least has a neat theme to fall back on, Harley Davidson is just awkward. It's like a game made by and for Midlife Crisis Harley Dads.
Whitewater, Firepower, and T2 are worth the sale price alone. I had already bought at least half the season but still went ahead and got the pack to complete the season while it was one sale.

Some of the Gottliebs are downright terrible though. Haunted House is what you get when you take 97% of skill out of a game and it's probably the least fun I've ever had playing pinball. Victory is great the first time or two but then you realize it's just the same thing over and over, plus the call out voice actor sounds like he was falling asleep more than commentating a race. Reminds me a lot of the DE Checkpoint I used to own, which is not a good thing.

I always knock out the standard goals right away but that drat 180 second timer in Goin' Nuts is going to be the loving end of me.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I've never seen an Earthshaker in person before but I've played a lot of physical Whirlwind, Twilight Zone and Road Show, so I was pretty excited to see that it was coming out on TPA. I knew it would be a little weird but this game is so loving Lowler. Totally out of place call outs, uncomfortable artwork, simple theme with a secondary weird theme shoehorned in, and the least organic feeling shots you could place in a machine. But for some reason it works, and it continues to be challenging and has buried goals and bonuses that you would never even figure out except for in TPA or home use. You would never see anything like this released today, embrace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Does anyone know how Super Spin scores on No Fear? I finally completed Meet Your Maker last night and when everything settled down afterwards it was lit. It's the first time I've ever seen it lit and I just kept nailing the raceway and it seemed to give me huge points, but I couldn't look up at the screen long enough to be sure.