Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
If anyone here lives in or near New York City, they're opening a pinball-only arcade where you pay by the half hour / hour. Not sure how many machines they'll have yet, but given how few pinball arcades there are this is pretty exciting.

article posted:

A half-hour of unlimited play will cost $7.50, an hour $10 and a day $20. Rack up a tab that’s equivalent to how much a machine costs you and you can go home with it.

http://brokelyn.com/new-pinball-arcade-will-let-leave-whole-game/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Ah god dammit, never knew this place existed and it's like 1 mile from my house!

edit: ah, seems like it's brand new / just opened. Neat!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 24, 2013

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Clouseau posted:

Used to be Satellite Lounge, which had a pretty decent collection of tables. The owner was tired of running a bar, so he sold it to the guy who owned Reciprocal. They're all good people and the line up is pretty neat.

Oh, that makes sense, when I looked up Jackbar on a map I thought "hm, that's really close to Satellite Lounge, the other pinball place." I've been to Satellite Lounge a bunch of times - It's ok, but they only have 6 or 8 machines I think, and one or two are usually off, and another few are usually calibrated badly (sloped way too steeply, leaning to one side, etc). Plus the bar itself was really dismal and empty. Glad they're reinventing themselves.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I tried really hard to get this under 30k, but I think it's impossible. Still a great animation though, probably my favorite out of any table.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I think I've posted this before but if you're in Brooklyn, make sure you check out Sunshine Laundromat in Greenpoint. It's a small laundromat and somehow they've managed to cram it full of the world's best tables. The selection is seriously incredible (I took notes): Medieval Madness, Addams Family (they have two of them!), Twilight Zone, Cirqus Voltaire, Attack From Freaking Mars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek The Next Generation, Star Trek (the new one), Terminator 2, Scared Stiff, Funhouse, Theater of Magic, Monster Bash, No Good Gofers, & Whitewater. Everything is in perfect working condition. The downside of this is that, since there are so many incredible tables here, I feel like a chump just playing Medieval Madness again and again.

On the other side of the coin, Jackbar has quickly turned to poo poo - they have very few tables that are actually good, and last time we were there about half of the tables were broken. Wizard of Oz's lights are out so it's totally dark (the bar itself is also very dark, so you can't see anything at all), two tables had broken parts that made the balls kept getting stuck, and a third table was opened up as if it were about to be repaired.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

canyoneer posted:

I don't think I've played Attack from Mars, Medieval Madness, or Theatre of Magic in the flesh before! :dance:
I hope they are in decent shape.

I find Attack From Mars to be really fun "in real life." It might just be the tables I've played on, but it seems pretty easy compared to its digital counterpart, whereas most games generally feel much harder. It's not too difficult to take down a few UFOS even if it's your first time, which nets you the satisfying explosion animation.

What I've been craving recently, for no reason, is a game exactly like Sonic Spinball, except actually well-made.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Sonic Spinball only has 2 major problems that stand out nowadays - the physics are pretty bad and the framerate is low + inconsistent. If it had "real" physics and ran at a good framerate it would still feel like an amazing game.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

DevCore posted:

It was a blast and getting a chance to basically free play machines that are $1-$1.5 per play was really a treat.

Guh?!?! That's insane. Slap the owner of whatever establishment charges $1.50 for pinball.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Casnorf posted:

"One hundred and fifty dollars."

The best part about this is, if you get sick of it in a few years, you can probably flip it on ebay for around a thousand.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

drat I give you credit. I love the TNG table, the rules and gameplay are a lot of fun, but I feel like it has outlanes the size of the grand canyon.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

How many pinball tables allow you to censor / uncensor the language? The place near me has Medieval Madness and I was really surprised when it went "I'm Lord Howithertz, who the gently caress are you?" After playing the TPA version I assumed the swear words are always bleeped because, well, it's pinball, who expects f-bombs during pinball?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Never knew this table even existed! I've never seen it or heard of it, and I've gone to a bunch of pinball arcades by this point! Well it looks like I have a new quest.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

My new goal in life is to design and manufacture a Seinfeld table. So many possibilities.

*ball drains down outlane* "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I just want a Bubble Boy Battle mode where, whenever you hit a target, it either says "MOORS!" or "MOOPS!" And then the ball drains and you hear "And you want to be my latex salesman."

This pinball... is making me thirsty!!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

prefect posted:

It seems like my good games are always the result of one of my three balls turning out to go really well -- the other two wind up getting swallowed by something stupid. (Probably my playing. :haw:)

I think this happens to everyone. "Holy crap I'm doing amazing! Nothing can stop me now!" Outlane » Outlane » Get Multiball » All Three Multiballs Somehow Simultanously Drain Down Outlane

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

In related news, I can barely bring myself to play TPA because the interface is so garbage. How can anyone read those loving icons, it's complete visual overload.

Yah I came to this thread to post that I hadn't launched TPA in a few months, launched it today, and simply couldn't believe what I was looking at. The menus went from "kinda bad" to "unusably bad." They've taken all the joy out of browsing tables because instead of seeing big artwork and hearing the table sounds, you're clicking a tiny unreadable icon. I'd really like to see what's going on behind the scenes at this company to release something like this

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

pisshead posted:

I've just got back into pinball games after discovering the delights of vertical monitors. What are the essential tables to get on Pinball Arcade?

Yeah like the guy above me said, just get Season 1.

If you really want to buy just one table, try Attack from Mars. It's so much fun, satisfying, and funny, and it doesn't have a stupidly-complex ruleset. "Martian Attack" is probably the best physical gimmick on any table, ever.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Pro mode unlocks some special spergy features like operator's menu, and allows you to fly around the table and examine the art with a free camera. It's not worth getting 'pro' anything unless there's one table you absolutely love and play for hundreds of hours or something.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Medieval Madness is my #1 favorite table but I'm not sure how good it is for absolute beginners. It only becomes really fun once you learn about stacking Madnesses and the three thousand different ways to earn extra balls. Attack From Mars isn't as deep or "good" as Medieval Madness but I think it's a lot more instantly fun.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Dr. Hurt posted:

Cirqus voltaire is so much more fun in person than it is on Pinball Arcade.

It's also probably be the best-looking tables ever made - the big neon bar looks amazing in person.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Robot Danger posted:

Man, I am not getting much better at pinball. I've had my scores beaten by people that are just walking up to machines for the first time :negative:

Yeah I think you actually get slightly worse at pinball when you first start practicing. Before you know anything about pinball, all you're doing is aimlessly whacking the ball everywhere, and you're likely to rack up some good points if you don't drain the ball too fast. Once you learn the rules, you stop aimlessly shooting everywhere and actually attempt to make specific shots, so you slow down. since you're playing a lot more slowly, yeah, you're probably likely to get less points. But then after even more practice you start to actually make those crazy shots you're aiming for, and then you should start to absolutely cream button mashers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

This is awesome, and the machine is beautiful - love the red and white flippers on blonde wood!! Very nice!