Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Well, turns out I can't resist pinball for long. Despite everything being sorta small on my SDTV (shut up I have no money for a new TV right now) I bought FX2. I sit on the floor to play it and I feel like a 6 year old.

It's great. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I'm learning Secrets of the Deep, and I'm having a hard time with the Kraken mode. I get that I can avoid the mode really easily, but it annoys me that I can't even figure out how to hypothetically clear it. I hit the mine ramp, the kraken ramp, the vortex ramp, the spinner gate, and both left and right orbits. After all that, I literally cannot see any other shot that's lit. What on earth do I have to hit to avoid a hull breach?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

That would be the most work ever for the least benefit I can think of for a custom controller and I want to see it happen.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Zero Karizma posted:

So first up, ya'll bitches know there's a tournament going on for Secrets of the Deep, right? Winner gets free Marvel Pinball.

How does this work now? I just hope I can get back to my Xbox in time to play. :ohdear:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Sizone posted:

The rule sheets for PFX2 are garbage. I have a respectable score on Secrets of the Deep, it's one the tables I have a better understanding of and I still don't really know what half the poo poo on it does. So I propose, and it will be a daunting task, that we write our own, exacting, detailed goon-friendly rule sheets to the Zen tables. This seems like a good place to start so...

I am all about this. You're breaking tables with that image though.

Kraken Ramp: Hit this ramp multiple times to start Escape the Kraken mode. To finish the mode, hit the following shots: 10, 11, 12, 16, 17, ??? (I know there are more, but I haven't found them - I have yet to complete the mode). Failing this mode begins a Hull Breach. After hitting the Kraken Ramp several times, but before activating Escape the Kraken mode, ESCAPE will light. Press the "launch ball" button when the ball is near the escape hatch (where the number 24 is on the table image) to use the habitrail and reset the Kraken counter.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Sizone posted:

I say just write until you get bored with it then let others fill in the details. WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE A COMMUNITY! I hate the Biolab table and would love to know what you're supposed to do on it without needing to play it to find out.

I haven't put as much time into it as i SotD or Pasha, but I can't stand Biolab. It's really hard to make any of the upgrades (except the one that puts you in the cookie playfield), and near as I can tell, they're the primary play mechanism.

It's a shame, too, I love the music. :sigh:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Is it just me, or is the crane shot really hard to make on SotD? Not the target to light the crane, but to actually trap the ball and start it up. It's really annoying, because you need to hit that a fair amount to activate the last multiball on the table.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

I always activate the crane every like 50 seconds on accident. The problem I have with the crane is that my brain never catches up to what's going on in time to move the ball into position.

Well, good to know I'm broken in some way then. :v:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I want a reskin of the Spider-Man table that makes it Indian Spider-Man.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

God dammit you people are going to make me spend another 10 bucks on e-pinball. :mad:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Bought it because I have No Willpower.

Gotta be honest, I'm not digging Blade. Just too many longer shots I like the looks of the table, though, so I'm sure I'll keep playing it.

Spider-Man is fun. The shots are pretty easy, and the modes are varied enough to stay fun. I really like the pumpkin bomb mechanic. Also, am I the only one who immediately flipped the controller upside down for mysterio mode? I just press the shoulder buttons with my thumbs. :shobon:

I really think I'm going to enjoy Iron Man as a chill out table. It's really really obvious what you have to do at any given moment, which I like in a table. The fact that all the goals seem to be the same could make the table get boring fast, though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I can't understand why people don't unanimously think Blade is the best table. It has the best shots, the coolest theme (I love the day/night cycle), the most modes. It's the loving bomb.

Iron Man is loving dull and I hate the middle shot to open the mission hole that kicks the ball right back down your gullet sometimes. Wolverine has this too but it's not as pronounced.

Blade also has a ton of long shots, which I'm not too fond of.

I like Iron Man because it is incredibly straight forward; I've said it before, but it's a great chill out table. On some tables "shoot the lit shot" is really really difficult to make out because there is so much poo poo happening at all times (SotD has a bit of this going on, see Kraken Mode). Iron Man has the entire drat lane light up.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Gamertag is Kelp Plankton, if anyone wants to add me.

Last time I was online you hadn't confirmed my request for SSFIV, now we can be buddies for two games :sissies:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I'm not seeing Paranormal up on XBLA yet. Just fired up the 360 and everything.

Also this just in - I still hate Biolab and Blade. Can't do poo poo on either table. :sigh:

EDIT: That got it, thanks!

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 26, 2011

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Paranormal impressions ahead. I may spoil some gameplay elements, but I'm not gonna throw up tags because it isn't like John dying at the end or something, where you may accidentally pick up something...I think.

I really like it, and I have no idea why. It does a whole host of things that I would normally hate on a table. The main area is small, so the ball has a tendency to get out of control easily. Shots to start modes require made shots after made shots; getting onto the cube or into the haunted house is bad enough, but Nessie and video mode each requiring no less than 3 consecutive shots (multiple times!) is near criminal.

The things I like, though, I really like. The cube mechanism to start modes is hard, but rewarding. The chupacabra mini-field is a neat little mechanism. The modes themselves are interesting, and I enjoy that they couldn't be done on a traditional table. The magna save mechanism as a skill based ball save is cool.

Last, and most important, I think it has my favorite soundtrack of any table. The ghosts whispers are great...it's just a shame the hard boiled detective voice takes away from the mood.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Is it possible to actually clear any of the Cube modes? I made something like 5 jackpots in Doppelganger and plenty in 4th Dimension, but I didn't get any clear notification.

Also, I am terrible at the video mode on this table. drat it's hard.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

It's in the US store now. I never bought Sorcerer's Lair for 360, so I'm pretty happy right now. But I feel like there's a bit of input lag. Hopefully it gets patched, because I'm pretty sure it's not a limitation of the platform.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Thinking of getting another table for the iOS version, and I don't feel like double dipping with what I have for 360. So, Thor, Excalibur, Captain America. Which should I go for?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I think I'm going to go to my local Pinball arcade this weekend for the first time (I'm blown away this place exists, and I'm looking forward to it/hoping it isn't too crowded). Any suggestions for machines I should play off their list? Some of the classics (Theatre of Magic, Medieval Madness, TOTAN, Twilight Zone) are givens, but I basically know nothing about any of the Stern stuff on the list aside from LOTR, which I played a lot in college.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I've seen it posted here, but I'm just curious: what table elements make Circus Voltaire hard to emulate in PinMAME?

Also, thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Just toyed around with Funhouse and Cirque for a while. As someone whose first learned tables were in FX2, I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm amazed at how much more complex these tables are than the virtual ones, especially considering the amount of freedom they had in designing the virtual ones. Like, they do stuff that can't be done physically, but it doesn't really mean the play is substantially more complex or interesting.

I think I'm figuring out why people in the thread greatly prefer these tables. :D

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Does anyone remember a pool themed table that literally had a cue ball under the glass? Or am I making things up.

No idea who made it or when, I just remember it from my childhood. I was born in the mid 80s, which may narrow it down.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Zip posted:

Interesting question for you guys: are there any pinball urban legends? Bad luck machines? Scary stories involving anything? I mean for regular arcade machines there's stories like Polybius and then of course regular urban legends about things you can or can't do in gaming. Kind of wondering if there's any pinball equivalent.

I think the idea of a ghost communicating through a DMD is the one thing less scary than a haunted N64 cartridge.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

So, this place just opened up, and I went tonight. They had mostly Data East/Sega tables, which I feel like are the red headed step children of the pinball world. They had: Star Wars, Tales from the Crypt, simpsons: pinball party, Judge Dredd, Jurassic Park, Last Action Hero, South Park, Starship Troopers, Monopoly, and a non working Royal Rumble.

I had a surprising amount of fun with the Starship Trooper table. The three flippers feel like a gimmick, but I'm a gimmicky sort of guy. The table had decent angles, played fast, and had some cool elements that I don't see often, like LCD counters in the center to track mission progress and a big gently caress off pop up target in the shape of a brain bug toy that seems like it would have been suited for a pinball FX table. I should have spent more time with pinball party since that's a great table, but I didnt really get into the swing of it in my game. Anything else I should pay more attention to next time I go?

Oh also they had skee ball. gently caress. Yes.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Zip posted:

don't forget Tales from the Crypt.

Argh, gently caress that table. It could just be the low ambient lighting where I played it, but the strobe effect that happened every time I launched a ball made it so I couldn't tell what the hell was happening for the first few seconds of every ball. My only hope was to cradle the ball and wait for the light show to finish.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Souichiro posted:

Did they fix the alignment on the tables at all? I dropped in shortly after they opened, and they hadn't leveled out the tables yet, so there were nasty artifacts like some being too quick, and I think Star Wars constantly pulling to the left.

Also going to take this moment to plug http://www.cppinball.com/ for anyone in the St. Louis area who hasn't heard of it. Lots of tables, a virtual pin cab, and everything on freeplay after admission.

I'm honestly not familiar enough with
live pinball to be able to say whether tables were playing too fast, but I will say that I drained all 4 balls on Star Wars in the right outlane, and my friend drained 2/4 there as well. So, maybe they're still working on that.

I've gotta get to CP still, but I can't find anyone to go with me. Driving alone to South Roxana sounds like the beginning of any number of "The Hills Have Eyes" knock-offs.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Is there a way to rip music from tables? I love one of the Voltaire themes, and I'm curious if it'd work for a ringtone.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Zeether posted:

What is the use of the caged ball in CV anyway? Is it just some toy to play around with the ball's trajectory?

That, and I think the menagerie target on the left side of the table is extra wide, so that either the silver ball or the menagerie ball can hit it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

If you're in the mood for something oldschool, Retro Pinball for iOS is temporarily free. They're the old DOS pinball tables from way way back in the day - everyone remembers Super Android, right?

The tables are overly simplistic, the physics are terrible, but it's hard to complain with the price tag. It's also so nostalgic it sorta hurts.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

This is better than watching 100 Rogues try to update. :allears:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

KamikazeJim posted:

To be fair, they are a relatively small company doing their damndest to maintain software parity across so many platforms (PS3, PS Vita, 360, Android (which is enough of a headache to support as it is with the dramatic software and hardware fragmentation, as well as a higher piracy rate then other platforms) and iOS) as well as possibly bring new ones (3DS, WiiU, PC) into it in the future. So yeah, you're right about us dealing with the little issues here and there because they are the only ones doing it.

To be equally fair, this is their fault. They never needed to support every possible platform. At this point, I feel like they should push out the kickstarter table to every platform, since people probably donated in reliance of that happening, and then just collapse down to one or two platforms until they can be sure they know how to do things besides "Gods work."

Like, if I'm on iOS and they release for 3DS while I'm still having basic UI issues and a "kill framerate" button, I would be absurdly annoyed.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

ponzicar posted:

My father has played a lot of pinball, and he says that he had played a game on a real table where the ball escaped from under the glass.

Wait what? How does that even work without breaking the glass?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Robot Danger posted:

I want to know more about the Hulk and Infinite Darkness tables before I buy them. Are they better than the first crop of Zen superhero offerings? I liked Blade and Fantastic Four OK, but I didn't hated Iron Man and Wolverine.

Hulk is a super ramp/loop happy table that reminds me a lot of Iron Man. I don't know about infinite darkness (do you mean infinity gauntlet?) but I'd give WWH a skip if I were you.

I liked it though. :shobon:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Reporting same error. If Farsight wasn't occupying such a tiny niche everyone would have given up on them months ago. This is awful.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Yeah that is the defaults in NIB's nowadays.

Recently got the 4th best score form the default high scores. I am no pinball wizard by any means but man, X-men is tough. You have to complete either all the hero modes or beat all the villains to get to the wizard. Could be sometime before I can get to this feat.

Question for the Pinball Pros up in this thread: did the "wizard mode" thing start with song, or was it a label applied to pinball stuff before then? Where'd it come from if not the song?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

In honor of October.

Saw pinball, where when a mode activates you have to make a bunch of precision shots in a row and if you don't your ball drains.

Cabin in the Woods pinball, where you start by selecting a monster, then have to kill a group of kids with monster unique missions. Like Avengers but gorier. Movie spoilers, Also if you kill the kids in the wrong order you have to fight an ancient one

Blair witch project pinball, where its just an empty play field with a bunch of trees, but there are target holes behind the trees. If a ball drops into one, it comes out another at random. Also there aren't any modes or anything, you just shoot around the woods and the game just ends when you drain all your balls. :v:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Zen Pinball for iOS updated, adding Tesla and another table I didn't buy.

Tesla's really frustrating. It was clearly done so that they could have fun with the "steampunk" aesthetic, and the table is pretty, but getting anything done is a giant pain in the rear end. It takes a difficult shot from a secondary flipper to get onto an upper playfield where it's really easy but annoying to start a mode, then the only way to clear the mode is to repeatedly make a single shot. I'll probably keep futzing with the table, just because I enjoy it, but unless I figure out some tricks to the table, it won't take me long to go back to something else. It was only a buck though, so it's hard for me to be really bummed about it.

Terminology question - is there a term of art for secondary flippers? Like, say, the flipper in Funhouse that you use to shoot to Rudy and the Trap Door?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

So I finally got a chance to go to CP Pinball and that place really is great. Machines are in great condition and the selection is obviously excellent, with pretty much every table you'd want there. Price is great, too - $10 for four hours on a Sunday is great for getting to tool around with tables and not be bitter when a bunch of balls drain quickly. I didn't like Creature until I actually got the chance to figure out the table geometry. I continue to be absolutely blown away by how much better pinball is live.

Also, this happened to me on Funhouse - it was probably the third game of anything I played, so walking up to the owner and telling him he's going to have to remove the glass on a machine was fun.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Is No Good Gofers crashing the app for anyone else? If its just me, I'll reinstall.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I remember someone posting a video of someone breaking Whitewater in half. Does anyone have a link to that video? Also, is there some sort of archive for those sorts of insane runs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Another day at my local pinball place. TOTAN and the usual suspects continue to be much better in real life than on iOS.

What do people think of NASCAR? Obviously the theme is a bit of a downer but I had a lot of fun with it.

Also I played NBA Fastbreak, which was gimmicky and a little repetitive but a fair amount of fun for a few games.