Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Just remake Enigma. And Super Android while you're at it.
Super Android did get an iOS remake a while back, along with a couple of other Epic Pinball tables. No Enigma, though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Farsight's posted on the Facebooks that "The folks at Valve seem a little skeptical that Steam users want to play pinball." :( Hopefully they get enough emails to be convinced that selling Pinball Arcade would be a good idea.

Speaking of, the 3DS version's been delayed until they optimize the ROM emulation.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Trastion posted:

Also when is the PS3 version supposed to be released?
End of the month, apparently.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the Pinball Arcade Facebook:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

I vote for any title that doesn't use a pun on balls.
The Pinball Megathread: Farsight's UI Designer is Deaf, Dumb and Blind

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Okay, I give up. How do I do the 200k skill shot on Bride of Pinbot? It's the last standard goal I have left (iPad version) and no matter how much I try, I get either 100k or 25k. Any tips or a screenshot of exactly how far back to pull the plunger?

EDIT: Figures I'd land it as soon as I posted that. Physics! :argh:

The Kins fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 22, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sizone posted:

I don't get why Farsight removed a bunch of options between the Williams Collection and PA. In Williams you could turn the music and sound effects off at will.
Wasn't the table behavior in the Williams Collection simulated via a complex scripting system? TPA uses an emulator and the actual table ROM to handle everything, so I'd guess muting different audio channels would be a lot tricker than just setting ripped WAV files to different channels.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There was an interview with one of the Farsight guys in GamesTM this month that had a couple of interesting tidbits of info. For example, some of their licensers have "suggested" that Farsight legally challenge people doing Visual Pinball remakes of their tables, but they're currently not interested in the idea because "Visual Pinball is good for pinball as a whole." Which is an interesting position for someone who's competing with free table recreations to take, but I guess Farsight can't preserve every table, as much as they want to.

Speaking of, they still haven't given up on The Addams Family. They also gave some kudos to the guys at Zen as well, which is nice.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

iopred posted:

On the same Ed Boon vein, he also did the programming on a lot of machines. Including Black Knight 2000 - in which the voice of the Black Knight is identical to the Mortal Kombat announcer.
That'd be because Steve Ritchie - the designer of the Black Knight tables (and Star Trek TNG!) - was the announcer in MK2 and 3. Surprising amount of pinball in that series' bloodline, to be honest.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Are there any screenshots of whatever that new lighting is supposed to be in the New iPad version of Pinball Arcade? I can't even find any on their own website.

Doesn't seem to do much except desaturate the colours and gently caress up the framerate. Whatever they're trying to do, it's probably busted.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh hey, Zen Studios actually remembered they have mobile versions to support. They just released Captain America for the Android version of Zen Pinball, and Fantastic Four for the iOS version. Why different tables for each version? I dunno.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new update sent out to Star Trek Kickstarter backers dropped a nice surprise: Scared Stiff and Elvira and the Party Monsters are both licensed and coming to Pinball Arcade! No Kickstarter needed!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MarxCarl posted:

- he really wanted to play the Pat Lawler ProPinball table which I felt was nice they at least acknowledge the competitors.
He's pretty classy about the competition, possibly because video pinball's such a small genre nowadays. Earlier this year he had nice things to say about Zen and even Visual Pinball.

Also, finally catching up on the table packs after being too busy to play for a while. So much pinball! It's surprising just how fun Big Shot is considering how ancient it is.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New video up on Kickstarter (dunno if it's backers-only) showing some clips from the making of, and early footage of, the TPA version of Twilight Zone.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, that's really awesome and all, but I'm wondering why I haven't received a code or anything for the TNG table that I backed for 20 dollars.
On iOS, they just add it to your Farsight account. Log out and log back in. You might have to redownload some or all of your other tables, but TNG will appear under your Tables list alongside the others. Presumably Android uses the same system.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Farsight want you to vote on which of three Bally tables gets the TPA treatment next. Centaur is way ahead, but Fireball and 8-Ball Deluxe are are also up for vote.

The estimated release date for whatever table wins is in May or June.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And the next Table Pack has been announced! Genie (Gottlieb, 1979) and Attack From Mars (Bally, 1995) are next up to bat.

EDIT: Curses, beaten. :argh:

Farsight has been posting a lot of status updates on various versions as part of a daily "Twelve Days of TPA Christmas" thing. To summarize:
PS3/Vita: Eight different packages in varying states of review at SCEA and SCEE. Sony Format QA currently reviewing Pro versions of Medieval Madness, Scared Stiff, Tales, and Twilight Zone. The next release will be somewhere between January 22 and February 13.
Xbox 360: Finalizing contract with new publisher, which as been complicated due to the previous publisher going bankrupt. The game's "re-launch" will be submitted to Microsoft in January. Twilight Zone and Star Trek will be available at re-launch, and all previous DLC purchases will still work. Aiming to have 40 tables released on 360 by the end of 2013.
Android: Twilight Zone released on Amazon. Star Trek submitted immediately after since Amazon doesn't allow two updates to be in submission at the same time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MichiganCubbie posted:

40? Holy poo poo.
I poorly re-worded that, I meant 40 tables available on the 360. Which is pretty achievable - 20 tables have been released on iOS in this first year - as long as there's no problems with Microsoft. But since this is Farsight, you can probably wish in one hand and poo poo in the other.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 29, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ROFLBOT posted:

Addams Family now please!!
I wouldn't hold your breath.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the final day of Farsight's "12 days of TPA" facebook thing:
  • Centaur was voted as the first fan-choice table in their Facebook poll. It'll be out in "May or June". More table voting will happen this year.
  • iOS and Android versions will be having a sale on Pro Versions of tables this month.
  • The free table of the month in the next pack will be Medieval Madness Pro Version.
  • While they still want to use Steam instead of anything else, folks who paid $500+ during one of the Kickstarters will be getting a special PC version containing the original four release tables and the two Kickstarter tables, and everyone who asked for a PC version when choosing their platform will be getting a PC version of their chosen table soon.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Amazon version of TPA should have Star Trek now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gann Jerrod posted:

Attack From Mars and Genie just went up on iOS and Android, the free table is Medieval Madness Pro, and next month's pack is Dr. Dude and Firepower.
Also from their newsletter:
PS3/Vita versions of Twilight Zone hit February 5th, Scared Stiff/Big Shot on the 12th, and Medieval Madness Pro/Tales of the Arabian Nights Pro on the 19th. Star Trek has just been submitted.
PC version is #90 on Greenlight, they're working on standalone versions for Kickstarter backers.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The next table pack on mobile will be Dr. Dude And His Excellent Ray and Firepower!

(Xbox 360 shots)

Farsight are also promising actual info for Xbox 360 players next week.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 9, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Other news from the newsletter:

• PS3/Vita - Medieval Madness Pro and TOTAN Pro coming Feb 19. Star Trek & January tables have been submitted to Sony.
  • 3DS - Getting trimmed down to the non-emulated Gottlieb and Williams tables and renamed "Pinball Hall of Fame" due to speed issues. :(
  • Wii U - Nearly ready to be sent to Nintendo.
  • Xbox 360 - Farsight's publishing contract is an asset in Crave's bankruptancy case, which is why this has taken so long. Thankfully, court approval on a transfer to a new publisher is "VERY CLOSE".
  • PC - Not much progress on Steam Greenlight. A Windows 8/Surface version is in the works.
  • Hints for next months tables - One has a connection with an area of the country Farsight is visiting next month (Either Milwaukee or Texas). The other is a re-release "based on a specific location somewhere completely different"...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Do they ever say anything about the Mac port?
I really would like to get into it but I just can't abide the terrible controls and what appear to be IOS-level graphics rather than at least say 360-level graphics.
Nothing beyond that it was released.

Oh, I forgot... They summed up their plans for this year:
  • Catching the consoles up to the mobile version
  • Releasing Wii U, Ouya (lol), Metro and PC versions
  • Being digital launch titles for "any next-generation consoles released later this year".
  • More tables every month, of course.
  • Support for 3D TVs, the iCade controllers, online play, more tournaments... more features and accessories, basically.
  • Other stuff they helpfully can't talk about yet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And it's official: Pinball FX 2 is hitting Steam on May 10 as a free download!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M2Rp16gMBE

The following packs will be available at launch for ten bucks each:
Star Wars Pinball
Marvel Pinball
Marvel Pinball: Vengeance and Virtue
Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles
Pinball FX2 Core Collection
Zen Classics

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The next TPA Table Pack has been announced as Centaur (Bally, 1981) and Pin*Bot! (Williams, 1986). Centaur is the first table to be voted in by fans!

Also, the next user-voted table has been decided as Flight 2000 (Stern, 1980). It'll be out later this year.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Farsight released a platform update on Facebook. To summarise:

Xbox 360: Crave has filed a reorganization plan with the court, is scheduled to emerge from bankruptcy this summer. As soon as that happens, all unreleased tables will be submitted to MS, with plans for discounted season packs to make it easier to catch up.

Wii U: Beta enters internal test next week, scheduled for release in September. First 16 table packs will be available at launch.

Ouya (lol): Ready as a launch title with all table packs available.

Steam: Just hit internal test this week! If you're a Kickstarter backer entitled to PC beta access, keep an eye on your email. Public release is scheduled for August.

PS4: WIP build shown at E3, showing a new lighting engine in which all 100+ lamps on a table are individually modelled. Will have Cross-Discount feature so if you've already bought a table on PS3/Vita it'll be cheaper for PS4.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
TPA Table Pack 16 has been announced as...

Flight 2000 (Stern, 1980)
Goin' Nuts (Gottlieb, 1983 PROTOTYPE)

The Kins fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 6, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Kind of a pity that the UI is the exact same as on the tablets. It would have been nice to have a UI that actually took advantage of the PC.

At some point a couple of years back I mocked up something to that extent, the end result wasn't fantastic, but sadly it might be a little better than what Farsight ended up with :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also from the newsletter: PC/Steam beta testing started on the 23rd, public release is in the next few weeks/"less than a month".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of TPA, the next table pack has been revealed on Facebook: Haunted House (Gottlieb, 1982) and Tee'd Off (Gottlieb, 1993).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Today I found a place that had both Pinball 2000 machines set up! :stonk: Also, I didn't have any change on me. :saddowns: I wanted to play Pinball's ET!

Kind of weird that I'm suddenly finding machines around the place again now that TPA's been running for a while.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hekk posted:

Has anyone else noticed the Season Two pack is ten bucks more than it is on other platforms (PS3/Vita)? I am not really that upset about having to repurchase tables I own on the PS3, but I am a little perplexed about the price difference in the two platforms. I rarely play on my PS3 because of the input lag and was really looking forward to buying the Season Two pack on PC.
Weirdly, it's also ten bucks more than Steam Season Pack 1 right next door to it. The big question is if it's an accidental mistake or just Farsight Farsighting all over the place.

From playing TOTAN, I'm pretty happy with the PC version as it stands - the sound quality boost over the iOS version is great. Only complaints I have is that the fancy lighting from the PS4 version isn't in (yet?) and the texture resolution could be higher.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I saw a Big Hurt table in a bar tonight and gave it a quick bash. It was pretty drat fun, though it wasn't very well lit... not sure if that's a maintenance problem or not though, since the sound was practically muted. Anyone else play it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lester Shy posted:

Wow, Attack From Mars is basically Medieval Madness on PCP. Except it came out two years before MM.
I got to play the Pinball 2000 sequel Revenge From Mars the other day. It's pretty good too. The pre-rendered back-screen artwork reminds me of the arcade game Rampage World Tour for some reason. Not sure if it holds up outside of novelty though.

I also got to play Episode 1, and hoo boy, that one isn't good at all. The plunger and ball launch chute were crap, turning it into a titanic battle to launch the ball into play all the while Jake Lloyd's non-union voice double shouts "shoot using the plunger, then use the flippers!" as if I'd never thought of that. :mad:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

Speaking of lovely rare games, the makers of Pinball Arcade, Farsight Studios, are the same people that made Action 52 and by proxy, Cheetahmen 2.
They only did the Sega Genesis version. The infamous NES version and Cheetahmen 2 were by Active Enterprises.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Robnoxious posted:

It's easier to obtain F-14 Tomcat! with next to no major music license issues.
The titular jet is a license in itself - Sega had to license it for the After Burner track in Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Eegah posted:

They managed it for Creature and Monster Bash so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.
There's also Harley Davidson with all its music licenses (though apparently they had to cut a song or two from the TPA version?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also from the newsletter: Upcoming new UI!

It's definitely an improvement, but I wonder how well it'll handle with a gamepad.