Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

PSN for Zen (& Marvel) is twotontim .

I've only gotten a few wizard modes so far, still practicing for more. Not the best not the worst, maybe add me out of pity or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Holy loving finally. Just got the trophy for Moon Knight wizard mode. I've been trying FOREVER. loving light bloom on the final multi-ball just completely screwed with my eyes and sense of timing. Ended up being a ~2 hour game, 298m.

Fun little table, I can see why people like it. Never playing it again.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Any tips for those of us still trying? I've gotten MOON K IGHT spelled out once and was SOOO close...but of course failed.

I've tried to get Crawley hit pretty consistently to light the Extra Ball (when you get Ball Saver with Ball Saver and Both Kickbacks already active) but this tends to waste a lot of time and sometimes I get lovely unpreventable drains.

I'm happy to share everything I (think I) know about the table and how to crush wizard mode.

In General :
* Kickbacks : Always always always. You're never more than two shots away from lighting a kickback (side sinkholes). There is no excuse.
* Extra Balls : I don't know about Crawley, never knew about or tried for it. But there are two Extra Balls available per ball, and you WANT them both every time. Luckily they aren't so bad with practice. There's the sink-holes one that has the rules you mentioned - little tip though, you need to collect the Kickbacks before getting the higher rewards, but you DON'T have to collect Ball Save in order to get Extra Ball. So get your kickbacks, then sinkhole twice more for a lit extra ball. The second kind is lighting all five urns. The easiest way I've found to do this is start a police mission then crime scene (just let the timer expire, there's no use risking a ball to win it). Prioritize lighting the Mission orbit urn & Nightmare ramp urn whenever possible, as depending on circumstance they may not be light-able when you need them. The game won't let you get two of the same kind of extra ball on the same ball, though. So make sure to remember which one(s) you've already done per ball.
* While the Crime Scene light is lit, it seems the left sinkhole isn't available for kickbacks or extra balls. But it TOTALLY IS during other missions or bonus rounds. So if you're better at the left hole than the right, use that.

Early game strategy :
* First Ball, First Plunge, go full strength and release exactly at 11:25. This leaves the hands of the clock at Midnight right from the start, then shoot the right ramp to start Nightmare multiball and get your first letter right away (shooting the left ramp first will gently caress this up). Since at this point you don't care about wasting kickbacks it's a good time to flail around and light some urns. But since Nightmare is being a dickbutt, you won't be able to hit his ramp's urn and the best you can do is 4 of 5. Which is awesome!
* Always take a mission whenever the orbit is lit, sitting there with nothing left to do but main missions without it lit SUCKS and every extra shot past that is a potential drain that never had to happen. If it's the start of the game and you don't have BOTH of your kickbacks yet, ALWAYS choose the Morpheus and his Brown Energy mission because it's impossible to drain a ball during it.
* After kickbacks are lit, you have both extra balls for ball 1, and there's no main mission available - unlock the circle hole. You'll get a lot of incidental circle hole hits (and you'll need it for 2 letters), so unlocking it early can get you those for free.
* Rough Customer is really really really easy, just hold down the left flipper to always block. Punch whenever the thug is standing still. Never let go of your block, and you'll literally never fail.

Final mission stuff :
* Really really recommend practicing Whirlybird multiball. It's the same style multiball as the final stage of the final mission, and you'll need to collect 50 orbs during it without losing more than 1 ball and there's no free ball save. Maybe I'm just bad, but the light bloom on the balls is what made this table a month harder than it ever deserved to be.
* With MOON KNIGHT lit, the mission ramp is always up and so that urn can't be lit normally. In that case what you do is fire up and timeout a police mission to get a fire ball, then start the final mission to make the urn available (both during and afterwards in the bonus let it timeout as fast as possible, then get it during the bonus). ALWAYS get your extra balls.
* For the first part of the final mission, the left ramp needs 1 hit, the right ramp needs 2 hits, and the circle hole needs 4. Both the 1 and 2 it's visually clear how many hits are left (if nightmare is visible there are 2 left, otherwise 1), but there's no indication for the circle hole. So to avoid being surprised by the second stage multiball, I tried to always clear the circle hole first or second.
* Before launching the final mission, I always lit Ball Save. At some point in either stage you'll incidentally trigger it, and it could easily be the difference between winning and losing.

Best of Luck!

Edit : Now that I think about it, the mission orbit urn isn't lightable during the first stage of the final mission, my bad. The only way I know of is to let it time out as fast as possible / don't extend the time by making lit shots.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 24, 2012

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

They added $25 and $50 reward tiers.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone

25 posted:

Everything above PLUS an exclusive Twilight Zone edition virtual pinball (which can be used on any of the tables in the Pinball Arcade!)

50 posted:

Everything above PLUS an exclusive Twilight Zone Pinball wallpaper for the device of your choice AND an entry into the Pinball Arcade Supporters Tournament!

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Minidust posted:

So if Twilight Zone got made, anybody would be able to buy it later on (not just those who donated), right? I'm not sure how these KickStarter projects work. And there's a chance that this might come out ONLY for iOS? I haven't bought Pinball Arcade yet, but that type of info would definitely influence which platform I get it for.

If it gets made it will be for every platform. The only slight exception is that 360 people cannot participate in the free-game reward because microsoft doesn't allow giving out codes.

I don't know where you got the iOS exclusive idea from but it isn't true.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

So I'm the last person on earth without facebook, and didn't understand previously that that means I don't get to post scores to the leaderboard.

Anyways.

Won Grand Finale for the first time ever, and managed to pull a decent 6.3 billion. Almost hit Grand Finale for the second time in the same game, but drained during the 8th trick.

Was having the worst time trying to get all eight tricks in one game until I realized most of my drains were coming hitting the trunk from a caught ball both flippers. Resolving to only do dynamic trunk hits got me Grand Finale on Ball 1 the very next game, 2 extra balls at the time.

Cool table, cool table.

Edit :

Alcoholism posted:

Doesn't it just post your PSN/XBL name if you don't enter a Facebook account?

Ayup - as always Alcoholism is wise. I'm #131 right now, and there was no reason for this post. :toot: Go me.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 28, 2012

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Fully Funded as of a couple of minutes ago.

I really hope the big spenders don't take this as a sign to lower their bids (because both tables would be boss). There was a 1k pledge that got yoinked a few days back.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Dude's got a right to be multi-posts-angry, look at that poo poo. :colbert:

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUCK when is the free version that I had the misfortune of buying all my tables on going to be updated with Monster Bash/Gorgar :cry:

You guys are waiting for DLC pack #3 on the free version, consoles are still patiently waiting for DLC pack #1 (and #2, and #3).

Between that and the broken android updates for Black Hole and ToM, TPA is loving incompetent at everything.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 18, 2012

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Anyone tried the Avengers pack yet? (Apparently it's available on PSN in NA).

Care to give some initial thoughts to those of us stuck at work?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Man, the bang back trophy on Avengers was bloody specific. Did like a dozen successful ones without it triggering, then finally got it just now.

MY THEORY is that this was the first one where the ball managed to roll along the destination-flipper to above the hinge (others weren't as "clean" I guess). If it isn't that then I have no loving clue.

e: clarity

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 20, 2012

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Looks like 360 players aren't getting decent achievements for the avengers pack. They're only supporting the easiest one per table. (Supposedly there's a hard limit of 99 achievements per game so they're being thrifty)

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=374147 posted:

A Legend Returns (50) :
Save Cap's ball from draining down an outlane on Marvel's The Avengers table. (single player only)

Surfin' in Space (50) :
Score a Surfer award on Infinity Gauntlet (single player only)

Enter the Arena (50) :
Enter the ruined Arena on World War Hulk! (single player only)

Blitzkrieg USA (50) :
Collect all targets during Blitzkrieg USA on Fear Itself! (single player only)

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Can someone break down what this means in the context of pinball tables? I'm only familiar with the context of emulation in the software sense, how would a pinball machine be emulated?

I'm genuinely fascinated and bored at work today, so I'd love to read what you guys have to say on it.

Emulated tables are like MAME, where the code farsight wrote only serves to fire up and twiddle with the original / same code that was inside the machine.

Simulated tables forgo that, and just have code that causes the table to behave in ostensibly the same way as it is supposed to.

For an effective difference, if there was a bug in the ORIGINAL physical pinball tables code, the emulated table (if done correctly) will also have that bug "for free". A simulated table would have to go out of its way to add the bug.

e: beaten like a hundred times

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

So if I understood correctly, the Vita version of these tables didn't include trophies. Does the PS3 version have them?

Edit : Apparently not. Sucks.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 27, 2012

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

For anyone else who hates the special multiball camera angles in TPA and wasn't aware, with pack #2 they added the ability to turn it the gently caress off under Help & Options (PS3).

That was getting so frustrating.

"Hey! You have more balls suddenly, want to trade your top-down whole-table view for a STYLISH ZOOMED IN TABLE-LEVEL VIEW!?"

Uh, no.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Beelzebozo posted:

I would like to compile a list of all the table goals (standard & wizard) for all the tables in The Pinball Arcade. However, once you complete the standard ones you can't read them anymore, and you have to complete them even to see what the wizard ones are. So there's no way to really pull a complete list from the interface. Does anybody here know how to like decompile the iOS binaries or whatever and just strip the goal titles right out? (Obviously I have no loving idea what I'm talking about but hopefully one of you does.) It would be good to get the exact wording/formatting this way as well, I would imagine. I can vaguely remember what some of the standard ones were on some tables, but I'd like to have an exact list.

Any help or ideas for me here?

Somewhere on your device is a save file - if you back up and delete the live copy, you should be able to start fresh on all tables.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Minidust posted:

I just bought the game for the first time today, and installed that free update file before doing anything. Should I be okay without all this profile trickery?

Also what's the current status of the PA kickstarter/s? I was half-paying attention to those posts before I owned the game... they're on hold at the moment or something? I wanna give 'em money!

The Twilight Zone kickstarter has already won, and all that's left is the waiting.

The Star Trek : The Next Generation kickstarter video was posted in this thread a week or so ago, but the kickstarter does not yet exist. They're holding off on actually launching it for whatever reason only they know. Maybe they're all too busy on some other project to properly care and feed it. Maybe they're waiting for the current swell of negativity on their facebook to die down. A lot of theories, very few answers. But the fact that the video exists proves that they at least currently intend to kickstart it.

Edit :

Was the video. Looks like Farsight yoinked it -- searching for a copy on youtube is an endless ocean of bullshit spam. It was a pretty cool video for no other reason than talking about the table's innovation of the instantaneous sink hole to up kicker magic.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 5, 2012

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Goddamn gently caress trolls. That poo poo sucks forever.

I've had really good luck just shooting the castle during Trolls. Shots that don't go into the moat are usually good for 2 or 3 troll hits, and the catch is pretty easy for the most part.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

In a brilliant display of beginner's luck, somehow managed to win MM's Video Mode the first time activating it. It had been so long since reading the instructions I'd forgotten what the gently caress it even was. With five birds left, remembered something about using the plunger. Anyhow.

Everything's all teed up for Tuesday's Trophy patch, exactly one Wizard Goal left in each of the four tables. Still sort of hoping that trophies will trigger retroactively, but not counting on it. Playing is a lot less fun when you don't actually want to win the table.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

PSN update early reports from the fan forum are saying that a) trophies are not retroactive (so if you've already gotten all the standard or wizard goals, you're going to be deleting your save), and b) it adds a slowdown glitch to old tables too (during at least some camera modes).

On the plus side I didn't realize that we were getting both Monster Bash and Creature from the Black Lagoon at the same time.

:unsmith:

edit : correction

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 5, 2012

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Robnoxious posted:

I only see Monster Bash paired with Gorgar. What's CFTBL paired with?

It looks like I was wrong, and we don't get CFTBL yet. We have trophies for it, but it isn't in the store.

Never stop sucking, FarSight. Your incompetence is your strength, apparently.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

On a separate note, I just had a game of Medieval Madness where I nabbed 243 million off one end of ball bonus. :aaaaa:

drat, dude. That's really impressive!

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

DarthXaos posted:

Another high risk/high reward strategy is stacking castle hurryups, I once got 10 million off a stacked castle hurryup.

This is a good pint, but it's important to keep in mind that stacked hurryups only count as 1 towards the extra ball at 10.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Starhawk posted:

I thought that at first as well, but the number you stack does actually get added to the count.

For example, if you stack 4 hurry ups, there will be 4 added to the final count once (and if) you hit the castle.

You are absolutely correct, I just confirmed for myself that this is how it is in TPA right now.

I came back to post that the FAQs disagree with this behaviour, but it really depends on which one you read.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pinball/915940-medieval-madness/faqs/1454 posted:

Each Hurry-Up collected is counted (so a 3M Hurry-Up counts as two), and
(default) 10 Hurry-Ups lights Extra Ball at Merlin's Saucer. A second EB
is available at (yeesh) 40 Hurry-Ups.

Agrees.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pinball/915940-medieval-madness/faqs/1453 posted:

You can also compound
hurry-ups such that if the first hurry-up is still running when you
achieve a second one, the total points will be 3 million, and with three
hurry-ups together, the total score earned will be 5.5 million.
However, a compounded hurry-up will still be worth only one hurry-up.
So if you want to earn the extra balls, you might not want to compound
the hurry-ups.

Disagrees.

... Vaguely related, got to BftK for the first time today. Ball 2, 2 Extra Balls, 3 Troll Bombs (the hard way). poo poo took a weird bounce after 3 castle hits, ended up timing out. Didn't realize losing once meant starting over from scratch. Frustrating.

Edit : Got to BftK for the second time ever very next game, Ball 1, 3 Extra Balls left. Only had 1 Troll Bomb. Ended up getting a ball stuck behind rightie, then timing out after 5 castle hits. Done playing for a while I think. Got 88m off a single end of ball bonus, which is a record for me. Ended the game with 379m, but the leaderboard decided not to count it. gently caress you too, Farsight. gently caress. You. Too.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 19, 2012

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

Holy poo poo, I demolished my old Medieval Madness score.

I learned a few things along the way. Castle Multiball jackpot maxes out at 2.5 million. Royal Madness stops giving extra balls at some point, but you can still get them from Castle Multiball and from wrecking castles after that. Battle for the Kingdom keeps adding another 50 million to the award each time you beat it. Maybe that maxes out eventually, I don't know. If you use up all the arrows on Victory Lap you get another full set. Ultra Combos max out at 2 million, I think.

I already feel like I can do better. :psyduck:

I can't imagine being good enough to be able to beat BftK multiple times in a game. drat.

So you're saying Castle Multiball never stops giving extra balls (as far as you're aware)? All the faqs explicitly say that you get your first when collecting the first super at the lock, but don't say anything about subsequent. In my own play I've never gotten a second from it, but I stop (usually unintentionally ;) ) after the first volley is over for subsequent invocations. You're saying if I kept it going there will always be another ball available that way?

Have you ever lit/collected multiple extra balls in the same castle multiball?

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 22, 2012

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Clouseau posted:

For some reason a bunch of Zen tables are really assholey about starting modes. I guess they're trying to increase playtime.

Ya, if you care about wizard modes / trophies, the Tesla table is one of the worst even on the PS3. I wrote it off long ago to circle back to if I ever 100% every other table and feel like slamming my dick in a door.

A year later I'm blocked on 100%ing enough other less-assholey Zen tables (Shaman, Mars (pyramid multiball :( )) that I doubt I'll ever bother trying again.

Edit : Got to Battle for the Kingdom again, failed with 4 castle hits to go. I will never beat this poo poo. (56 Trolls)

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 15, 2012

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

:woop: Just finished Cirqus Voltaire wizard after way too long. Now all I've got left is Battle for the Kingdom until the next packs.

Had a sdtm during BftK with just three castle hits left earlier, though. That was less awesome.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 18, 2012

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Turns out the Top5 trophies don't work for either Elvira or NGG on PS3.

Jesus Christ Farsight, at MINIMUM you'd think you'd have your QA people verify that the things you're encouraging people to do on each table/platform are POSSIBLE. Some obscure corner case is one thing, but the easiest possible trophy for both tables? The gently caress? Did anyone there even play the tables?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

robot roll call posted:

Did anyone get their Kickstarter code for it? What am I supposed to do if I didn't?

They did not understand that codes can be sent out before the game is released (although not redeemable until after it is released).

So your options are to wait the couple days (their goal is to get codes out this week) or pay even more for it.

loving incompetent.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Boxman posted:

Is there any way to avoid a SDTM with a rollback on the peasant ramp? It feels like an unavoidable drain, and because of the (unrealistically) consistent physics, its my number one source of drains right now.

When you fail to get all the way around the peasant ramp, you MUST bump to the right while it's still rolling back down the ramp (making it touchable with the right flipper, rather than SDTM). This is a very reliable save method once you're used to it. Exact strength doesn't even really matter, it's just making yourself remember in time every time.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

DrNutt posted:

They have a Simpsons Pinball Party too, but I didn't really enjoy it as much. The plunger they have is all hosed up, and I don't like the drop off the upper playfield that is almost guaranteed to be a sdtm drain.

Can you please clarify? I play this table often, and don't understand how you can leave the upper play field not down the monorail and into the right inlane? Are the guards on yours missing or something?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Yay Pudding! posted:

If I bought tables on iOS, do I have rights for them on android? Or do I have to rebuy?

On pinball arcade

Need to buy per-platform.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

I think Big Shot is pretty fun. You have to pay a lot of attention to ball movement so it's a good challenge. Sometimes I'd just rather play a reel game.

I really enjoyed Big Shot the table for itself, but the 250k wizard goal was not okay. Their 3m wizard goal for Genie is loving absurd.

(Yes, yes I am a Trophy whore.)

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Nurge posted:

Still #1 here. :toot:

Wow, congrats!

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Side by side local multiplayer is the greatest thing Zen 2 ever did.

I'd never stop playing if TPA could do the same.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Well sure. But TPA's multiplayer as-is is kind of bad (why are we passing the controller back and forth?). And sure, a real pinball table is 1-player-at-a-time and you just have to wait your turn.

It's less realistic, but way more fun to play simultaneous local side-by-side. Zen2 did that really really well.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Family Values posted:

Do they even test this poo poo?

Does FarSight test their poo poo?

Twilight Zone for PS3 on release, you couldn't even successfully play "a second" single player game without exiting.

They've shipped *multiple packs* with broken default high scores.

The Wizard Goals for Genie are beyond reach of almost everyone. (undying respect to the handful of people who've done it)

Parallax Scroll pointed out a few days ago that their latest update broke the leaderboards and added a "ball through the flipper" glitch to No Good Gofers.

It's very clear that they in fact do not test their poo poo.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

zoux posted:

Seeing that picture reminds me the next PBA kickstarter is going to be T2

Completely ignoring gameplay bugs, I cannot fathom why a person would willingly donate this time. Sending out broken ps3 codes days after they can just be bought from the store, spending weeks "trying" to "fix" them, going radio silent, then a couple months later saying "whoops our support system is poo poo and we lost track of everyone's complaints you'll need to start again but we're super seriously trying this time no really".

Then the KS exclusive ball skins that you had to kick in more for or miss out on forever? Hahaha just kidding everyone gets them for free now no refunds.

Not this time farsight.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Heads up for PS3 players who maybe don't read the PS3 thread. DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/Problem-after-update-to-4-45/td-p/40712247

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

zoux posted:

I really hate that the shuttle sim is one of the standard goals, I'm awful at video modes.

Keep in mind there's nothing random about the shuttle sim. You can figure out (or just look up) a safe path and forget about having to react fast.