Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The local arcade dealer guy's market dried up what with the recession so he opened a 20,000 square foot arcade in the local mall. He's also a restoration guy so it's full of fancy old electromechanical pinball tables, too.

I played Cirqus Voltaire and holy poo poo it is '90s as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DarthXaos posted:

And by far and away WMS had the superior engineers and designers to their competition at the time, that's why almost anything people hold up as favorites from this time period is either Williams or Bally.

Well, their "competition" for 10 years was pretty much Data East and Sega. I guess Capcom for a few years?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BlazeKinser posted:

It's kind of disappointing that the table design sounds so uninspired, but then again it seems like a lot of Stern tables just don't really have that magic touch to them. I'd like to believe the weak flippers were just due to miscalibration, but I guess I'd actually have to play the table to be sure either way.

Speaking of weak flippers, anyone else familiar with the pain of finding your favortie table in some out of the way place, only to find the flippers are mismatched? The one time I found a working High Speed table it was so cobbled together that it had one black-ringed flipper and one dingy yellow one, and the yellow one was slightly shorter than the black one so half the ramps were basically inaccessible. Such a letdown. :(

I saw a Space Shuttle at the local arcade dealer's booth at a home show but the right ball lock kicker was broken. :saddowns:

I did get to play Slugfest and an electromechanical table from Spain though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Sounds like we'd better call Stern.

I was really hoping the Tron table would have a classic variant, but I'm glad the Legacy table is as cool as it is.

May I present a 1980s coke bender in pinball form.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

That is a really awesome looking table.

The artist works at Stern now according to IPDB but didn't do Tron but that's okay because John Youssi did instead :unsmith:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The guy with the giant arcade in the mall must be going deep into his collection because he put in some old Gottlieb redemption machines (they're so tiny) and... a Capcom Street Fighter 2! :pwn:

Art's pretty good, but the ruleset and design are definitely not up to standard. I still threw a dollar at it :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Zeether posted:

Wasn't there another pinball machine with tons of swearing in a hidden mode or something?

Medieval Madness can drop an F-bomb with a setting change.

There's a Capcom soccer table that when family mode is turned off says "kick the loving ball" at the beginning of each ball.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

robot roll call posted:

Cedar Point in Ohio has a big arcade with a Hercules machine. The ball is literally a cueball, or at least it looked like one. It plays incredibly slow due to the size, I didn't really think it was much more fun than a novelty.

I played a Hercules at an arcade in a run-down shopping complex in Orlando. It's basically how you think pinball with a cue ball and giant bumpers using 1970s technology is.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Liar Lyre posted:

The infinity table is going to be crazy. The article mentioned that you get Infinity Gems that change how the flippers and stuff work. For example, one gem locks the flippers in the upright position meaning you have to hit the buttons to lower them and another gem flips the table upside down. It's going to be an interesting table to say the least.

Just remake Enigma. And Super Android while you're at it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

Wow, I really love the Black Hole table. The playing field is so uncluttered compared to the others, and I really love the darkness of the table and how it constracts with the lights etc. Also the fact that the score doesn't jump up to the millions like most of the other tables is kinda nice.

Black Hole's too sparse for me but I love just the aesthetic you saw in every manufacturer's tables in the early part of the decade. Especially the sci-fi tables with really dark GI lighting. Bally tables had some really complex and 1980s coke bender as poo poo art to go along with it, too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SkunkDuster posted:

Is the music in midi format? What do you mean about selecting tracks and playing around with it? Is each instrument playing on a different track?

There's a music player called M1 that supports MAME and derivatives (PinMAME) that you can use to play music tracks from a lot of these games with. You can select a track and export it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Zeether posted:

Hey, I like TX-Sector :mad:

I've never seen a Gottlieb table in real life besides Silver Slugger and Street Fighter II. The arcade dealer in the mall has a few pre-System 11 Williams tables set up, the only place I've seen them too. Florida sucks for pinball.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 16, 2012

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

I'd never played Bride of Pinbot before. Imagine my surprise when one shot on that table is worth 1,000,000,000 points.

Point inflation :lol:

It doesn't really count though. Billionaire scores are given their own high score board on the real table and your score will never get anywhere near a billion points without that shot.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Anyone else have problems with the background music in Bride of Pinbot cutting out? I'm playing on my iPad.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

On the iPad2 and yeah it just kinda stops after a while. Also my scores get registered twice at the end of games but those are the only things wrong I see with BoP.

There are quite a few sound bugs in BoP. Once I noticed that the center ramp sound doesn't play backwards if the ball rolls back down it, the table was ruined :mad:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

How much does a decent Bride of Pinbot go for? I might have to try to find one someday.

Somewhere around $900-$1200 depending on condition if Google is to be believed?

Bob Loblaw posted:

There have been other machines that have had extra buttons, but not for flippers: Black Knight (they would operate the magna save), The Shadow (flipped the daggers to change the path of the ball), and Black Rose (a giant button in the middle that fired the cannon) are three examples off the top of my head.

Pinball 2000 tables had a separate button on each side for things taking place on the CRT like changing the next feature or playing video mode.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

A billion-point shot on BoP's good enough for top 100 on the leaderboard right now. :toot:

A 10-loop combo scores a billion points as well as completing the Bride. I can never get past 6 loops though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

If anyone's ever in the tourist hellhole of Gatlinburg, TN, there are plenty of pinball tables floating around in the lovely arcades around. There's a place called Ober Gatlinburg that has an alpine slide. When I went there last summer the arcade at the top had Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Bride of Pinbot, Independence Day, and Gottlieb's Silver Slugger of all things all in great condition.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Cirqus Voltaire's light show is a thousand times more impressive on the real machine, what with the giant neon tube on the play field and everything.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I played a Star Wars Episode I today. That table is :barf:. There's little flow to it, the placement of the captive holes next to the ramps is just odd. Most of the modes consist of "hit center target over and over until a ramp pops up" and they used loving Comic Sans on the playfield.

Revenge from Mars, which I also played, is better. There's more stuff to hit like the side standups, more variety in modes, and less annoying video than the distracting video in Episode I.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bob Loblaw posted:

I was about to say this. The reproduction is done well in terms of playability, but this is one instance where the lighting effects are lost in the digital version. For one thing, depending on the machine, the neon lights would either be blue, green, or red. Red is nice here, but I would have loved to have seen it mixed up between games. For another, the neon, and the cannon in the back glass, really need to be in a darker environment for full effect.

That was one thing I liked about the VP versions of a lot of the early 80s sci-fi tables, they were made for a darker environment and the lighting stood out really atmospherically.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

KamikazeJim posted:

So now PA will have three Bally tables, five Williams tables, and only one each of Gottlieb and Stern. Only one of the confirmed upcoming tables is a Gottlieb table (Big Shot), with zero Stern tables announced for release.

Farsight, where's the love for Gottlieb and Stern! :argh:

Stern tables are all high-profile licenses and aren't the current Gottlieb rights holders dicks?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't like the sound emulation on Black Hole, honestly. It's really low quality and sounds step over themselves and don't start and stop in the right places. The table sounds great in PinMAME but Farsight's sound emulation rips it to pieces.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

When you get a million points on Black Hole :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah, getting 2.5 million on Black Hole is probably my greatest accomplishment in Pinball Arcade. Gorgar will be the next great challenge since it's so easy to drain the ball on that thing.

They need to add one of those late-70s Williams tables with the banana flippers next.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Its like Heavy Metal, the pinball table.

It's got a giant skull below the plunger. Truly the metalest of pinball tables.

DrNutt posted:

Can someone break down what this means in the context of pinball tables? I'm only familiar with the context of emulation in the software sense, how would a pinball machine be emulated?

I'm genuinely fascinated and bored at work today, so I'd love to read what you guys have to say on it.

Pinball tables are run by computer just like anything else. They just have a fancy system in place that connects the table pieces to the computer system. The old Williams hardware (Systems 3, 4, 6, and 7) are pretty much identical to their early '80s video game hardware in fact, the video games just have a better 6800-series processor (6809 vs 6808/6802) and a video board instead of interface hardware.

You can emulate this hardware through software like PinMAME or Farsight's homemade software. PinMAME could be integrated with Visual Pinball for switch inputs to PinMAME and solenoid and light outputs to Visual Pinball. For older tables with very simple rulesets this might not be worth the trouble over simulating the rule set and using the original sounds from the ROMs considering how weird a lot of '70s and early '80s arcade hardware was.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 21, 2012

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ponzicar posted:

I'm guessing that for the really old tables, there's a point where there's not enough of a computer for them to feasibly emulate it.

Here's an article on someone finding the prototype of the first pinball table converted to run on a computer.

quote:

After ironing out all of the details and getting the prototype to work, they set up a meeting in September 1974 to demonstrate the game to the "Bally brass." Bally CEO Bill O'Donnell and other vice presidents arrived at Dave Nutting Associates in a limousine where inside they found two games set up side by side on a concrete floor.

Nutting played the EM game while Jeff played the prototype, noting how they were identical except that the prototype was quieter and the displays were different. They opened the cabinets to reveal the EM game packed with relays, coils, and switches while the prototype was virtually empty. Their jaws dropped to the floor. Nobody could believe that the small board could replace all those relays. One of them even circled the machines and looked in the nearby closet for the computer that was controlling everything! Perhaps he expected to find The Wizard of Oz?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The lighting on that X-Men table looks amazing.

Der-Wreck posted:

There's also Space Invaders and Defender!

Defender is cooler because it (and all other System 7 games) used the same sound hardware and sound ROM as the arcade game. :toot:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 17, 2012

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Zeether posted:

I just realized there's probably no chance in hell we'll see Capcom pinball tables in Pinball Arcade. This means no Big Bang Bar :(

It's M68000-based, all the current tables they emulate (Williams WPC, Stern Whitestar) are M6809-based.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

sethsez posted:

This remains astounding to me.

They said they made one but Valve says pinball doesn't have enough of a market for Steam didn't they?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Atomic Mitten posted:

There are apparently some firmwares with ball savers but they were in later ROMs (and present in "H" ROMs like 9.4H - home editions, more here) but I think they are trying to keep to stock launch tables minus huge bugs.

They're using ROM version 9.2 according to the operator menu. There's a 9.4 (not 9.4H) available that fixes a bunch of bugs, don't know why they didn't use it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

cat with hands posted:

Finally got my first decent game today on Twilight zone at 1.7 b.

It's kinda like ToM where you don't feel like you're getting big points but starting modes and keeping the ball in play racks up the score. Good aim is a lot more important compared to ToM though.

I can never hit the camera target. I don't think I hit it once before I got LITZ in my last game. :eng99:

Oh well, still got 1.66b, good for about 260th overall:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Curious, do any of you go for the skill shots on TZ? I feel the risk is too high for little reward. There is like a 10-20% chance you'll lose the ball without having a chance to get a flipper on it.

Even Pat Lawlor says the skill shot is bullshit and to just punt the ball into the chute. I'll only go for the Super Skill Shot extra ball.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

gypsyshred posted:

Just aced the power during the powerball multiball event. That felt badass.

Now do it during Lost in the Zone :v:

It took me ages but I finally beat Join the Cirqus on CV. The hardest part was the second level where you have to hit the Ringmaster and make the ramp shot 5 times in a row, I could never get past 3 or 4. Still haven't beaten Ringmaster Battle yet though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Why did they make the screen landscape? This thing's unplayable now.

e: Even better: the app is landscape, but the device is still in portrait mode. :wtc:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 21, 2012

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't know how to describe this other than 1981.jpeg.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

I found out the arcade at my local mall has two old Gottlieb EM machines, with one of them actually being a licensed reproduction by some company that apparently does that. I forget the name.

The arcade at the mall here had a mid-70s Spanish EM table for a while but I can't remember the name of it. It wasn't there for very long, I guess it was a burn-in test to go in his showroom.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Niwrad posted:

I'm surprised that Stern hasn't stepped up and tried to work with them. I'd think that a virtual version of a game they have in production might do wonders for sales. Maybe not on release, but lets say they were able to get out AC/DC on PA right before the 2nd run of premiums. You can't tell me they wouldn't get a handful of sales from people who fell in love with it. Licensing I'm sure is an issue, but I imagine something can be worked out.

Gary Stern said that's an eventual goal, simultaneous release of a physical table and a TPA table.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ball savers were just being put in tables when TZ came out and only later revisions had it at all so it's basically up to the operator whether an individual machine has it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

goferchan posted:

No, but I've made it to 9.8 and drained-- three times :waycool:

You will not believe how many times I made it to wizard mode on Cirqus Voltaire and hosed up the Ringmaster then ramp stage on ball 2 with multiple extra balls. And a 30 second ball saver.