Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

That pretty much looks like the best virtual pinball game. I bought Williams Pinball Collection for four different platforms (PSP for portability, Wii for the motion controls, 360 for HD graphics, and PS3 when my 360 crapped out), so I think it's fair to say I'm a fan of what these guys are doing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

That's going to be my game of the year, no question.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Does Zen Pinball for the PS3 have the same physics as Pinball FX 2, or is it using the physics of Pinball FX?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Yodzilla posted:

Are they different?

I thought one of the reasons for the upgrade from Pinball FX 1 to 2 was to improve the physics.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Personally, I'm hoping for Pinbot and Addams Family. Beyond those, I'd like to see more early-to-mid-80s tables in general. The vast majority of virtual pinball covers stuff from the 90s and up, and all good fake tables emulate that style, but there's something to be said for the simpler style of older tables as well, especially as an option between all the crazy designs from the last 17 years or so.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

One of the reasons I think Big Race USA is the best virtual pinball table ever made is that, along with the rest of the Pro Pinball series, it was designed as though it were a real table with all the limitations that implies, and it was sold by itself for full price so it had to be extremely high quality. When you've got a ton of tables and they're all relatively cheap, it's easy enough to justify leaving them at "good enough" rather than really polishing the hell out of them, especially since numbers (both price and amount of tables) is a far easier way to sell a product like this than quality is.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Beelzebozo posted:

Just take solace in the knowledge that Pinbot is a loving terrible table that nobody enjoys. For less than $750 I will build you a pinball game that just plunges the ball directly into the left outlane.

No YOU suck. :colbert:

Pinbot is one of my all-time favorites. Yeah, the left outlane is a bitch but it's not impossible to avoid.

Also, I really wish someone would update Visual Pinball to something resembling modern standards. The physics are great, sure, but anything built after the early 80s is a huge collection of compromises to get it working in that engine, since any moving parts or 3D elements look awkward as hell. Future Pinball solves this but has its own set of issues.

This is the main thing that's been keeping me from putting together a cheap(ish) virtual pinball cabinet. The software just isn't good enough to justify it for me.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Yeah, I know it's got a lot of people who hate it, and to be fair it is really difficult. I just love the presentation and the feel of getting a good game going on it, more than pretty much any other table for some reason.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Disease posted:

Also being a pretty rabid pinball player when Cirque Voltaire came out, I don't remember anyone calling it a classic or favorite table back then. There are a lot of toys and it looked cool as hell in a dark arcade, but I remember the rules being pretty simple and the ball would always get stuck on the Ringmaster head. I'll still buy it of course but to me its a little questionable bringing out three VERY similar tables(ToM, TotAN, CV) in such a small time-frame.

The Internet Pinball Database says pinball fans have voted it the sixth best solid state pinball table of all time.

That said, I definitely felt like having ToM and ToTAN as two of the four launch tables was a bit much. I love mid-90s pinball as much as anyone, but those two tables really are quite similar in feel and that's a bit of a shame when there are so many other eras to cover.

Personally, I'm just waiting for Elvira and the Party Monsters.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Edward T. Lynch posted:

While the subject is physical pinball dives, does anyone know if there's a hidden cache of pins in the Orlando area? All my searching says no, but hopefully I missed something. I'm aware of DisneyQuest, but paying $40 bucks to get in that ridiculous place is not my idea of fun.

Being such a tourist destination city, it blows my mind that someone hasn't opened a place here like the one in Greensboro.

I wasn't even aware that DisneyQuest still had tables.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MrNonacho posted:

They have them, but they're hidden up on the fifth floor. The last time I was there (about a month or two ago) they had Tron, Iron Man, Rolling Stones, CSI, Pirates of the Caribbean, Spider-Man and The Dark Knight. They do maintain them but they see a lot of abuse by all the kids that are left to run wild in there, so there's always a few issues with them.

I remember a while ago they had an Ultrapin. Do you remember if that's still there? Ideally I'd like to try out a virtual pinball cabinet before building one of my own (despite my earlier post, it's an idea that isn't going away).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Looks like a trip to DisneyQuest is in my future, then.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Seriously, you're not that far from me (I'm in Orlando), and I'd totally be in the market for a pre-built minipin.

Same exact thing here, down to being in Orlando. I want to make my own, but I don't have all the tools for making the cab on hand and the electrical stuff makes me a bit nervous if I ever decided to go nuts with it. Also, as a bit of a side note, the guy from Virtuapin rubs me the wrong way a bit so I wouldn't mind having another option for pre-built cabs. :)

It doesn't seem like it'd be much cheaper than a full-sized one, though. You're saving on the monitors and lumber, but everything else it going to cost the same. I'd mostly want to have a mini table because I don't have the room for a full-sized one and it's a lot easier to deal with.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Go for it man! This is a textbook example of finding a nich that literally no one is exploiting, and then reaping the rewards.

Hell, even if you don't sell physical kits, people would pay for just the plans to build these things. Obviously you'd really have to refine the design and possibly get professional plans drawn up, but fans will probably lap this stuff up in fully-built, kit, and plan form.

Absolutely. For me the biggest thing is the woodworking aspect, so being able to buy a kit with everything pre-cut and just assemble it from a big box of parts with instructions would be a hell of a lot better than trying to hack one together myself.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

It's ridiculous that the next DLC is almost ready to come out on Android and iOS while the first DLC hasn't even released on consoles yet. The simulation is drat near unparalleled but everything else about Pinball Arcade is a fiasco. I really hope FarSight gets their act together soon.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Yeah, I'm somewhat sympathetic about the situation on consoles with the approval process they have to go through, but there's no reason for Medieval Madness to still be busted on Android and iOS, the 360 version shouldn't have launched with an older lighting model than the PS3 version, and the Mac version shouldn't control as stupidly as it does. It really feels like they bit off more than they could chew by promising this game for everyone under the sun.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The thing with real tables is that they cost thousands of dollars and had to be made out of real materials, so they got a lot more thought put into their designs than DLC that costs $3. Even with virtual pinball, that still comes through.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who prefers Elvira and the Party Monsters to Scared Stiff. :(

Then again, I have a general preference for late 80s/early 90s over mid-to-late 90s in general.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Robnoxious posted:

Party Monsters was a drainage machine if you hit weak ramp shots and the ball loved those outlanes. It was like there was a tractor beam pulling the ball in. I did like it when you hit the Monster Slide Elvira would shout "Oh YEA!" but if it was a weak shot and came back down a monsterous voice would thunder in with "OHHHH NOOOOOO!"

Scared Stiff was certainly an easy pin the get wizard mode on. You just had to be patient.

Between this and my love of Pinbot I think I may just love tables that are notorious for having lethal outlanes.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Boxman posted:

I think I'm going to go to my local Pinball arcade this weekend for the first time (I'm blown away this place exists, and I'm looking forward to it/hoping it isn't too crowded). Any suggestions for machines I should play off their list? Some of the classics (Theatre of Magic, Medieval Madness, TOTAN, Twilight Zone) are givens, but I basically know nothing about any of the Stern stuff on the list aside from LOTR, which I played a lot in college.

Spiderman feels like an updated Attack From Mars in a lot of ways, it's definitely worth playing. I also hear good things about the Family Guy table, but the theme is so obnoxious to me I can't bring myself to like it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I think my new favorite Stern table is the limited edition of Transformers. I spent around three hours playing that today at Disneyquest and it was a ton of fun, full of things to do, super fast, and difficult without being unfair. The rest of the tables there (all Stern) were fun, but none came close to that one. I hear the standard edition isn't as good which is a shame, this should be the standard.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'm beginning to wonder if the PC version is as much of a mess as the Mac version is, and Steam refuses to carry it until it gets polished up and given an actual interface. Scaled-up iOS graphics with what amounts to an emulated touch interface is really quite awful, especially when put next to the PS3 version, and I wouldn't be surprised if Steam wanted none of that. Given that there isn't a version of this without at least a few issues, I can't imagine the PC version was completely up to snuff either.

Boxman posted:

I've seen it posted here, but I'm just curious: what table elements make Circus Voltaire hard to emulate in PinMAME?

Also, thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
I'm not sure what would make it hard for PinMAME, but for Visual Pinball the big issue is that the DMD is on the table itself, so it's a bit angled and covered a bit by a transparent ramp in the bottom right corner. Not a problem for a 3D engine, but a complete bitch for a 2D engine like Visual Pinball that displays the DMD as a unique element rather than as an integrated part of the table.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 8, 2012

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Teenage Fansub posted:

$100 Get a special version of the Twilight Zone pinball table with access to the table operator’s menu.

Can't we just have this as a regular feature in all tables?

Yeah, that's really something they should include by default since it's just emulated roms in the first place, especially since they're planning on having a cabinet mode in the PC version.

I also wish they'd fix Medieval Madness on Android. Still can't do the super skill shot or fire troll bombs.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

KamikazeJim posted:

So now PA will have three Bally tables, five Williams tables, and only one each of Gottlieb and Stern. Only one of the confirmed upcoming tables is a Gottlieb table (Big Shot), with zero Stern tables announced for release.

Farsight, where's the love for Gottlieb and Stern! :argh:

I've got to agree with this. Yeah, Williams pretty much ruled everything in the 90s, but this is supposed to be a big collection of pinball tables from many eras and developers. So far though, it's pretty much just been Williams Hall of Fame 2 (especially since Bally and Williams were basically the same company for the tables that have been released).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Ramagamma posted:

Can't imagine why. Picked up Gottlieb classics for £2 last month and all the tables other than Black Hole are total wank. Especially Genie, such a slow table, so much open space, so so boring.

The weird thing is that there are some genuinely good Gottlieb tables, but outside of Black Hole none of them made it into the first Hall of Fame collection.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Zip posted:

uh and? What's wrong with Lawlor tables?

Nothing, but some more variety would be nice.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Groucho Marxist posted:

I just had an error trying to download Funhouse and CV. I would start the tables and all I saw was the HUD over a grey screen. The only solution was to delete the entire app and re-download everything. Lost all my high scores and wizard goals :waycool:

Yeah, I've learned to not get too attached to my goals or scores on the Android version. :v:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Teenage Fansub posted:

On 360 they found out XBLA Updates can only be 4mb.

:doh:

I really love their physics engine and table recreations, but everything outside of those bits have been a huge mess.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Max22 posted:

They're more than ten thousand dollars over the goal. I think they're safe.

This is FarSight. Yeah, they're probably safe, but it's another example of them doing their damnedest to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

That looks about as bad as the Android release.

I'm getting less and less inclined to give FarSight any more money at this point, even if the tables do play extremely well.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Well, the latest update for Pinball Arcade on Android lets you hold the left flipper while launching the ball in Medieval Madness, and has an on-screen button for the ball launcher in both Medieval Madness and Monster Bash since they're used during gameplay. It also seems to run better. Assuming FarSight didn't screw something else up, I've gotta say I'm quite happy with this update.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I thought MS Pinball Arcade was a more interesting overview of Gottlieb than FarSight's collection. It didn't play as well (though the Gottlieb Hall of Fame didn't have great physics either), but there was more variety in the tables and it was interesting to see pinball progress through the decades. There certainly weren't many other options for recreations of pinball machines back then, either.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

petewhitley posted:

The physics are literally 2nd best behind Farsight titles in terms of video pinball.

The don't compare to the old Pro Pinball games either, nor to Visual Pinball and Future Pinball. Beyond that, there's not much actual competition in the first place.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Toady posted:

I didn't get that vibe at all from his post.

Seconded, that was taking it way too personally.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Ramagamma posted:

See when companies buy other companies, nothing good comes out of it unless you enjoy being pedantic. Stern was bought by other companies who were then bought by more other companies who were then bought by Stern again? How do you know they didn't just change the namefor accounts, or change the payee information but still continue trading as Stern. Things get very complicated when one company buys another in business. Either way Stern bought them back making it plainly obvious what I was saying. So Stern only made one table in the 90's. Well I'm sorry if the company formerly known as Stern but then known as Data East but then Sega and then back to Stern was making tables in 1995, that counts for the question. I just wish your sort were at the quiz last night so you could stand up and look like the big clever-clogs illustrating the big chain of buyouts/takeovers/demonopolizations which occured to make my point so grossly incorrect. You know what I meant.

The point is that you're really overreacting here.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Beelzebozo posted:

I would be inclined to agree with you if not for the fact that they've successfully released this product and multiple content updates for it on about half a dozen other platforms, including PS3 and PSVita.

"Successfully" is a bit strong. Every other platform has gotten updates, but drat near all of those updates managed to introduce new and exciting bugs and glitches. Microsoft's approval process is terrible, no doubt, but I find it very hard to believe FarSight isn't doing anything wrong here.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Ramagamma posted:

Gorgar is such a "why the hell are you even here" table for this

Gorgar is here so it's not exclusively mid-90s Williams/Bally tables. It's also one of the best tables in the set.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who likes Sorcerer and wants to see it here, though. Genesis too, but that's not Williams-related so fat chance. :v:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

KamikazeJim posted:

we still don't have a PC version yet

This remains astounding to me.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Minidust posted:

Is Pro Pinball the one that had those single-table discs on PS1? I picked a few of those up dirt cheap at various GameStops, years ago, but never got around to playing them in earnest. The ones I have were called "Pro Pinball: Big Race USA," "Pro Pinball: Fantastic Journey," and plain ol' "Pro Pinball."

Not sure if it's the same company but I also have KISS Pinball, True Pinball, and Extreme Pinball.

Those are indeed the Pro Pinball games, and they were pretty much the absolute best pinball games you could get for years (in some ways they're still unrivaled). The PC versions were a lot better, too, with resolutions up to 1600x1200. Doesn't sound like much now, but for pre-rendered graphics back in the 90s it was pretty stunning and still holds up well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ExMortis posted:

So "Dream Pinball 3D" just showed up on Steam (Metacritic of 61) with 6 fake tables... one of which is apparently tied to the Two Worlds series of RPGs (or something?).

What the hell is even going on with Farsight? Looks like Greenlight is hiding percentage of votes required now but last I checked Pinball Arcade was sitting at 1%. Is the "no market for pinball games" a big sham? Did Dream Pinball just show up because the publishers are already "in" with Steam?

I've been wondering if their PC version isn't just ridiculously broken/an awful Android port/totally nonexistent and that's why we haven't seen it anywhere yet. They could try GOG or Desura, anything. I desperately want to give them my money but I don't have a good phone or a console.

Probably a bit of both. I doubt the PC port is (or was, at least) worth a drat given the quality of the Mac port, but a lot of indie developers are being told they have to go through Greenlight now and Dream Pinball 3D isn't published by the developer.