Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
the best part is that I never have room for a full battle mat, and when I do, it always feels like everyone is off in their own corner of the room. I guess the awesome chips also draws people closer in - you have to be in arms reach to give them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Anyone else here heard of Sufficiently Advanced? Finally got around to reading my copy and while it seems a bit confusing, it looks interesting. Almost like The Culture: The RPG. In fact, it could even be that with some tweaking.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

ThreeStep posted:

Anyone else here heard of Sufficiently Advanced? Finally got around to reading my copy and while it seems a bit confusing, it looks interesting. Almost like The Culture: The RPG. In fact, it could even be that with some tweaking.

I've had a copy of the ashcan staring up at me from my desktop for a while begging to be played, but The Culture just isn't my group's thing. Sufficiently Advanced really is The Culture RPG with the serial numbers filed off, and I think it would suffer at the table if the majority of the group isn't familiar with that particular sort of sci-fi. I'd dearly love to play it though.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Does anybody know a place where I can get good advice on creating aspects for free on the internet, maybe with a bunch of examples.

I'm most likely going to be porting them into my D&D game but neither I nor any of my players have any experience with them and I've heard that they can be tough to get right.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr Nick posted:

Does anybody know a place where I can get good advice on creating aspects for free on the internet, maybe with a bunch of examples.

I'm most likely going to be porting them into my D&D game but neither I nor any of my players have any experience with them and I've heard that they can be tough to get right.

Try this thread for starters.

What kinds of characters do you have? If you post some character backgrounds or rough details, maybe I can give you some ideas.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Dr Nick posted:

Evil Mastermind's link is A+ material. Every FATE-playing group should have a copy of that post.

That said, I question the introduction of Aspects into D&D. Is there a reason why you aren't simply playing a FATE-based game?

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

We're already in the thick of it and switching systems now would be a pain. Also, my group really likes Dungeons and Dragons but we want a little more character to go with our hack and slash.

Also I am lazy and don't want to learn a whole new system or buy special dice.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Here's a list of the characters if you want to give suggestions:

1. A fighter who's basically a Roman Legionaire. He's very charming but also a little psychotic. I think he's based on a character from the show Rome but I've never seen it so I don't know the character's name or anything.

2. A Feypact Warlock who sumbled upon a fairy ring in the woods grimm's fairy tale style. She basically agreed to find an ancient artifact for them and they agreed to help her. She's a little nuts because of the whole thing and she hates anything fey (she says it's a "Love/Hate" relationship). She's also really paranoid.

3. A blind cleric who used to be in the military. He feels useless but was given the gift of "sight" (he can sometimes see the future and he navagates/does battle/makes perception checks by the visions he sees in his head) so he can beat back the darkness that's overtaken the land.

4. A Dragonborn Warlord who's a stock Dragonborn with honor for his fallen clan and all that. He was the fighter's superior officer when they served in the military. He also knew the cleric.

5. A rogue who's a young noblewoman gone party girl who ran away from her boarding school. She carries a baseball bat with a sharpened nail in it (a reskinned dagger) and she lies and cheats at every opportunity.

Thanks again for the help (actually writing these out gave me some ideas but I would really like to hear some suggestions).

terminal chillness fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 29, 2011

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr Nick posted:

We're already in the thick of it and switching systems now would be a pain. Also, my group really likes Dungeons and Dragons but we want a little more character to go with our hack and slash.

Also I am lazy and don't want to learn a whole new system or buy special dice.
I do highly recommend Legends of Anglere, which is high-fantasy Fate using d6-d6 indeat of Fudge dice. You can substitute the dice with pretty much any version of Fate; it just gives you a wider range of results.

quote:

Here's a list of the characters if you want to give suggestions:
(actually writing these out gave me some ideas but I would really like to hear some suggestions).

The thing to remember about Aspects is that they're not just there to give you a bonus when you spend a Fate point/action point/whatever. They're also how you get them back, so it's useful to make Aspects that can work for you and against you.

Just off the top of my head:

quote:

1. A fighter who's basically a Roman Legionaire. He's very charming but also a little psychotic. I think he's based on a character from the show Rome but I've never seen it so I don't know the character's name or anything.

Aspect: Oddly Magnetic
Invoke to: Get someone to like you, bonuses to social roles
Complel to: get unwanted attention (like when he's trying to be inconspicuous)

Aspect: Fragile Facade
Invoke for: intimidation,
Compel to: lose his temper, pick fights he shouldn't

quote:

2. A Feypact Warlock who sumbled upon a fairy ring in the woods grimm's fairy tale style. She basically agreed to find an ancient artifact for them and they agreed to help her. She's a little nuts because of the whole thing and she hates anything fey (she says it's a "Love/Hate" relationship). She's also really paranoid.

Aspect: Bound to the Fae
Invoke to: have knowledge of the fae, call on fairy contacts
Compel to: have the fairy courts harass her at inconvinient times.

Aspect: Their eyes are everywhere!
Invoke for: bonuses on perception, intiatve
Compel to: think "you're part of it, aren't you? you're all against me!"

quote:

3. A blind cleric who used to be in the military. He feels useless but was given the gift of "sight" (he can sometimes see the future and he navagates/does battle/makes perception checks by the visions he sees in his head) so he can beat back the darkness that's overtaken the land.

Aspect: I Was Blind, But Now I See
Invoke for: perception checks, "educated guesses", make Declarations of things that will happen
Compel to: make anything sight-related harder or not work, false visions

Aspect: A Light In The Darkness
Invoke for: bonuses when fight evil or helping people
Compel to: not turn his back on those in need, even when he's in trouble.

quote:

4. A Dragonborn Warlord who's a stock Dragonborn with honor for his fallen clan and all that. He was the fighter's superior officer when they served in the military. He also knew the cleric.

Aspect: "The Blood Of Dragons Flows In My Veins!"
Invoke to: self-confidence, be awesome in a dragon-y way
Compel to: bite off more than you can chew, have your ego work against you ("Don't you know who I am, bitch?"),

Aspect: Leader of Men
Invoke to: support your troops, be good at tactics (Maneuvers are your friend here)
Compel to: help those under your command before his own needs, defend his company's honor

quote:

5. A rogue who's a young noblewoman gone party girl who ran away from her boarding school. She carries a baseball bat with a sharpened nail in it (a reskinned dagger) and she lies and cheats at every opportunity.

Aspect: Noblewoman Gone Wild
Invoke to: have knowledge of the aristocracy, contacts, do something Mom would disapprove of
Compel to: embarass yourself publicly, do something Mom would disapprove of.

Aspect: Natural Born Liar
Invoke for: bonuses when running cons, bluffing Maneuvers
Compel to: not tell the truth when you really should, to lie when you really shouldn't.

One of these days I'm gonna run a Fate game here.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Aspect: Noblewoman Gone Wild

This one should really be called "Girls Gone Ignoble".

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

Cool thanks for the help! I read that thread and got a decent overview (didn't read the whole thing since it falls into RPG.net passive agression pretty quickly).

I was thinking on similar lines but with something new I never know if I'm on the right track or not. It's good to see I largely am.
I really like the idea of using well-known quotes or aphorisms or Bible verses or w/e as aspects. They always pack in so much meaning and baggage. Is that something good to try (Like "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" being an aspect)?

Maddman
Mar 15, 2005

Women...bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch
I suddenly want to play a Cop Who Doesn't Play By The Rules in a FATE game with an Aspect of 'Yippie-kai-ay, motherfucker.'

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

And now I want a cop with "I'm too old for this poo poo."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr Nick posted:

Cool thanks for the help! I read that thread and got a decent overview (didn't read the whole thing since it falls into RPG.net passive agression pretty quickly).
It's actually worth powering through the whiners; later in the thread there are some really good examples of Aspects in use, and some good discussion by Fred Hicks on the "On Fire" issue that always seems to crop up in Fate threads.

(I love Fate; I could talk about this poo poo all day)

quote:

I was thinking on similar lines but with something new I never know if I'm on the right track or not. It's good to see I largely am.
I really like the idea of using well-known quotes or aphorisms or Bible verses or w/e as aspects. They always pack in so much meaning and baggage. Is that something good to try (Like "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" being an aspect)?
I've found that things like sayings, catchphrases, cliches, and similar are really useful for helping people "get" Aspects, because then you can point to a movie or comic or whatever and say things like "See where he says 'It's Clobberin' Time!' and swings really hard? That's the Aspect, and he's invoking it to get a bonus to his attack roll" or "Remember how he has 'Two Weeks To Retirement'? The reason he hung back and left his partner alone for a few minutes was because he got Compelled to delay and be overly cautious. On the plus side, he gets a Fate point for it."

The best Aspects (to me) are ones that are evocative, because they're more fun and can apply in more interesting ways. Don't just be "Strong" Anyone can just be "Strong". Be "A Mountain Of A Man!" or perhaps you just "Don't Know My Own Strength". An Aspect is a way of saying "This, good or bad, is why my character is awesome".

Aspects turns "let me tell you about my character" from something dull into something interesting you get plot coupons for.

And I really should be working, but...

Maddman posted:

I suddenly want to play a Cop Who Doesn't Play By The Rules in a FATE game with an Aspect of 'Yippie-kai-ay, motherfucker.'
Aspect: Doesn't Play By The Rules
Invoke to: Get info from quasi-legal sources; have access to gear you shouldn't; cut through (or at least go around) red tape; intimidate scumballs
Compel to: get yelled at by the chief in front of everyone, making you look like a jackass; get kicked off the force (not that that'll stop you from bringing that drug lord down)

Aspect: 'Yippie-kai-ay, motherfucker.'
Invoke to: do something stupid and dangerous
Compel to: do something stupid and dangerous

Xand_Man posted:

And now I want a cop with "I'm too old for this poo poo."
Aspect: "I'm too old for this poo poo."
Invoke to: Do something cautious; calm down your hothead partner; get a favor from a fellow cop "for old times sake"
Compel to: Be overly cautious; not take (or delay) a risky action

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah, for now I'm going to keep aspects to the character sheet and not worry so much about tagging (or whatever) so the "On Fire" thing probably won't come up much. D&D already has mechanics for poo poo like that anyway.

I'll read the rest of that thread when I get a few (I should be working too) :ssh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you don't mind my asking, how are you working Aspects into D&D if you're not going to invoke/compel them?

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

I think I'm using the wrong words. Sorry I don't know the terminology that well. Here's the way I described it to my group:

You get 3 aspects (+1 / tier) which are a word or phrase that describes your character. You can use aspects in the following ways:

1. You can invoke an aspect to spend an action point and get a +2 to any d20 roll after you see it as long as the roll pertains to the aspect.
2. You can invoke an aspect to spend an action point and gain narrative control.

Additionally, the DM (or player) can compel an aspect and offer the player an action point. (I explained the whole thing with examples). You gain action points every three encounters instead of every two but they otherwise retain all their previous D&D functions.

I didn't add in being able to tag things in a scene or w/e as having aspects so no "I tag the zombie with the 'on fire' aspect.". The narrative control is subject to DM and table fiat and also must pertain to the aspect but is otherwise unrestricted.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Speaking of Fate, I saw this mentioned elsewhere a while ago. It looks cool, basically boiling Fate down to ranked Aspects and nothing else.

http://www.studiohunty.com/f-sharp/

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr Nick posted:

I think I'm using the wrong words. Sorry I don't know the terminology that well. Here's the way I described it to my group:

You get 3 aspects (+1 / tier) which are a word or phrase that describes your character. You can use aspects in the following ways:

1. You can invoke an aspect to spend an action point and get a +2 to any d20 roll after you see it as long as the roll pertains to the aspect.
2. You can invoke an aspect to spend an action point and gain narrative control.

Additionally, the DM (or player) can compel an aspect and offer the player an action point. (I explained the whole thing with examples). You gain action points every three encounters instead of every two but they otherwise retain all their previous D&D functions.

I didn't add in being able to tag things in a scene or w/e as having aspects so no "I tag the zombie with the 'on fire' aspect.". The narrative control is subject to DM and table fiat and also must pertain to the aspect but is otherwise unrestricted.

Oh, okay, I get what you mean now. So basically you're just using Invokes and Compels. One thing I've found helpful is to remind players that they can Compel their own Aspects; that way the I don't have to try to keep track of another twenty Aspects on top of everything else.

(Tagging does mean something slightly different in Fate, but you're not using it that way so I won't muddy the issue)

I'm curious to see how this ends up working out for you.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

I'll check back. Our next session isn't until the 10th so it will be a while and even then, we're going to discuss it a bit and then get to playing so I may not have this implemented until next month or something.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Quick Fate/Legends of Anglerre question.

When armor says it soaks up a consequence, does that disappear after the combat in which it happened, is the armor totally ruined, or does it take some time to fix the armor so it loses the consequence? Also, is this consequence on top of the max 3 consequences that, say, a starting good character has?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

Quick Fate/Legends of Anglerre question.

When armor says it soaks up a consequence, does that disappear after the combat in which it happened, is the armor totally ruined, or does it take some time to fix the armor so it loses the consequence? Also, is this consequence on top of the max 3 consequences that, say, a starting good character has?

Consequences stick around until the armor is "healed". Once the armor takes all the consequences it can, it can't absorb damage anymore (it's effectively "taken out"). The consequences you get from armor are in addition to your own consequences.

Legends of Angerre, p. 47 posted:

Armour
Armour is essentially clothing which protects a wearer from physical damage. In Legends of Anglerre, armour has two effects: first, it can absorb one or more consequences which would otherwise affect its wearer; and second, it can sometimes reduce stress damage affecting the wearer.
Armour which takes its full complement of consequences is no longer functional, and will absorb no further damage, although any consequences may still be tagged as long as the armour is worn. Damaged armour doesn’t “heal” naturally, but must be repaired (see page 70).

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

So, I, Daeren, and another played Fiasco last night.

In short, a kilogram bag (!) of marijuana went missing and Daeren's character freaked out over searching about it, nearly gets busted talking about the missing thing with the other characters, and mine gets worked up because Daeren's character tossed her kitchen so thoroughly nothing's in the right place.

So then they find mice in the ceilings, which could only have come from a certain rear end in a top hat named Ned in the Biology lab (a lardass who was described as having a hard-on for Cheetos and/or his mice and possibly owns a forums account), which some of the characters visit and get the other scientists to keep an eye on him. The mice also completely flood the kitchen, which my character freaks about and through a convoluted series of events involving a snowmobile and a skillet pan accidentally murders him.

The other characters freak a bit, but this worry is quickly overtaken as two foot mice start rampaging through the residence halls and trying to eat people. Apparently the late Ned's experiments don't quite interact kindly with THC, let alone a kilo of the stuff, and our characters get holed up in the offices along with an NPC, wondering what to do. We figure that the ship is probably our best bet to get out of there alive. Since we don't have any food (probably Cheetos) to distract the mice, the (completely coincidentally we swear) black NPC dons a flamethrower to try and distract the mice, which is pretty much a suicide mission that will result in him along with the charred mice getting eaten.

And I quote Daeren verbatim on this, at his behest: "You could call him... a snackrifice." Cue the shades and who yell.

In the final escape (and the Aftermath), Daeren's character fucks up piloting the snowmobile and destroys the gangplank. He sacrifices himself to try and hold the gangplank remnants up, which pretty much tears him apart, but it saves an extra few people. The other two PCs manage to escape safely and even have a bit of a happy ending, comparatively speaking.

In short, this game is loving awesome and you should buy it now.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Just chiming in to say I have no regrets about making that pun, and this is probably one of the best new systems I've played in a long time. Just a quick look reveals how incredibly flexible it is. Hell, we turned a self-professed Coen Brothers RPG into a comedy/horror movie due to the Tilt being "cold blooded revenge" and "dangerous animal gets loose."

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting together with some dudes this weekend to play Fiasco (which is the easiest and funnest game ever) and Dread. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the most out of our Dread session? We've never played any type of horror game before, so I'm worried we won't be able to get into it that well.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Don't know if anyone's posted it here yet, but I'd like to call your attention to the free, totally ripped off Dungeons: The Dragoning. Give it a whirl, see what you think.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Dog Jones posted:

I'm getting together with some dudes this weekend to play Fiasco (which is the easiest and funnest game ever) and Dread. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the most out of our Dread session? We've never played any type of horror game before, so I'm worried we won't be able to get into it that well.

Dread is really all about the mood. I wouldn't play Fiasco first and immediately move to Dread. The Dread thread should have some good ideas, but set the mood by having a talk with everyone about expectations of mode (keep the jokes and silliness down, remain focused on the game) dimming lights, maybe music. The free scenarios at the site are pretty good.

Maddman
Mar 15, 2005

Women...bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch
Personally, I've always found that Dread takes care of itself. Sure, people might be cocky and joking around when the tower first goes up, but once it gets high the tension rises as well.

I use a couple of house rules with Dread. I start it off by telling everyone they can voluntarily pull a block. If you don't and I need to pick someone to randomly have bad things happen to them, I'll pick you first. Everyone nearly always takes this first pull.

I've kept count over many games, and the danger zone seems to be after 18 or so pulls. Once the tower falls, I make them go around until there are 10-12 blocks missing. If there's 4 people left, go around 3 times pulling, etc. That keeps the tension up once someone dies.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
We'll probably save Fiasco for after Dread in that case, and I'm definitely going to use that second rule you described, Maddman.

There's a bunch of abandoned buildings around where I live that I've explored with these guys before, I was thinking about taking our Dread game into one of them. It'd be hard NOT to be scared then, haha.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

CommissarMega posted:

Don't know if anyone's posted it here yet, but I'd like to call your attention to the free, totally ripped off Dungeons: The Dragoning. Give it a whirl, see what you think.

You guys really need to check this out, this poo poo is bananas.

B A-N A-N A S

It's every nerd genre and RPG game mashed up... and it works?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Joudas posted:

You guys really need to check this out, this poo poo is bananas.

B A-N A-N A S

It's every nerd genre and RPG game mashed up... and it works?

I just made a Squat (Dwarf) Promethean Fighter with Iron Heart maneuvers. This is the coolest game ever made.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

In the grim darkness of the great wheel, there is only war.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Adventure.

Adventure never changes.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

CommissarMega posted:

this is fantastic, there's even a smattering of deadlands in there.
So how long until we see a game of this start up here?

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

I'm surprised there's not more talk of it here, it's some bizarre poo poo. I'm just stunned at the amount of effort it must have taken.

Read the little fiction section on page 82, its hilarious. All of the white wolf style chapter fiction is pretty funny.

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010
Commenting on Sufficiently Advanced above:

Yes, I've played it with a few groups. I played it with one of the original playtesters, and I got to sit in on a game with the designer, because it was designed over the years at my university's games club.

It's one of those games that can be really good, or really bad, but no matter what, you go through plot at a ludicrous rate because goddamn I just fired my supersymmetric death beam through the planet to take out loving invisible ninjas.

There's also been a supplement put on the website, I believe. Mechanicans 4 lyfe.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I took a stab and making the DtD character sheet internet friendly.

code:
Name:                  Race:                          XP:
Player:                Alignment:                     Faction:
Class:                 Character Level: 

ATTRIBUTES
Power       Intelligence *----   Strength     *----  Charisma    *----
Finesse     Wisdom       *----   Dexterity    *----  Fellowship  *----
Resistance  Willpower    *----   Constitution *----  Composure   *----

SPECIALTIES

SKILLS                          OTHER TRAITS
     Mental                 Backgrounds                   Power Stat:
Academic Lore -----    ____________ -----            ___________________
Arcana        -----    ____________ -----                   ------
Common Lore   -----    ____________ -----
Crafts        -----    ____________ -----                Resource Stat:
Forb. Lore    -----    ____________ -----            ____________________
Medicae       -----                                      ------------
Perception    -----          Feats
Politics      -----                                        Devotion:
Tech-Use      -----    __________________            ____________________
                       __________________                  ----------
   Physical            __________________
Acrobatics    -----    __________________            Static Def:
Athletics     -----    __________________            Hit Points: 
Ballistic     -----    __________________            Resolve: 
Brawl         -----    __________________            Speed: 
Drive         -----    __________________            Size: 
Larceny       -----    __________________            Hero Points: 
Stealth       -----    __________________            Armor: 
Survival      -----    __________________
Weaponry      -----    __________________             
Command       -----    __________________           
Deceive       -----    __________________           
Disguise      -----    __________________
Intimidation  -----    __________________           
Performer     -----    __________________
Persuasion    -----    __________________
Scrutiny      -----    __________________

Special Abilities                             

Allies & Contacts

Description

Spells and Special Attacks

Derangements          

Equipment

Weapon:
Type		Damage		Pen

ROF		Clip		Range

Languages

Edit: I like this one better

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 4, 2011

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Another FATE/Legends of Anglerre question...Zones.

I don't get them at all. I get what they try to do, but is a whole area a zone? If so, and two people are in zone 3/the far zone, it seems that they are in the same zone but what if they are on opposite sides?

Or is a zone not for the area but for the players, and if so I'm imaging a huge ven diagram gone mad of overlapping zones for each character and zone aspect :psyduck:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

Another FATE/Legends of Anglerre question...Zones.

I don't get them at all. I get what they try to do, but is a whole area a zone? If so, and two people are in zone 3/the far zone, it seems that they are in the same zone but what if they are on opposite sides?

Or is a zone not for the area but for the players, and if so I'm imaging a huge ven diagram gone mad of overlapping zones for each character and zone aspect :psyduck:
I'm...not sure I get what you mean by "far zone". A Zone (in the most basic sense) is an area of a map where everyone can easily interact with everyone. A room is a zone, the hallway outside is a zone, stuff like that.

Exact placement inside a zone doesn't matter, because it's assumed that you can move enough inside the zone "for free" to reach anyone else in the zone. If a zone was (for example) the main barroom, it doesn't matter where two brawlers are; even if they're standing on the opposite sides of the room, they're still effectively "next to" each other. As part of trying to hit each other, they can adjust their positions within reason.

I don't know if that clears things up; if not I can put together something a bit more coherent later.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Well I know that if a caster has a +3 (good) spell, then they can fire it at a single target in the zone at +3, or a single target three zones away at a +0, or fire at 3 targets in the same zone as them with +0, but I don't know if the zone is a distance from the caster or if it's dependent on actual areas.

It seems like if "The Bar Room" is just one zone everyone is in and they can get to each other easily that it makes more tactical things like staying away, firing from afar, etc kind of impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

Well I know that if a caster has a +3 (good) spell, then they can fire it at a single target in the zone at +3, or a single target three zones away at a +0, or fire at 3 targets in the same zone as them with +0, but I don't know if the zone is a distance from the caster or if it's dependent on actual areas.
Zones are locational areas. They're not defined by distances. The easiest way to do zones is to draw a map of the fight location, then figure out what the distinct areas of that map are.

quote:

It seems like if "The Bar Room" is just one zone everyone is in and they can get to each other easily that it makes more tactical things like staying away, firing from afar, etc kind of impossible.
Well, for large zones, you generally want to break things down a bit into more interesting divisions. So, instead of saying "the whole bar is a zone", you can say "The main bar floor is one zone, the area behind the bar is another, and the stage is a third zone". You can even sub-divide the main bar floor into two zones if you feel it's too big.

Maybe a crapily made visual aid would help...

So here's our bar; thick lines are walls, thin lines just mark the edges of zones. It consists of 5 zones: the seating area, the open area, the stage, the bar, and the kitchen. People can move between the two large areas, from the open area to the stage, from the seating area to the bar, and from the kitchen to the bar and open area. If I had remembered to draw the restrooms, they'd each be a separate zone.
Note that the main floor of the bar actually consists of two zones, even though it represents one large area.
People who are in the "Open Area" zone can interact with others who are in that zone with non-ranged abilities. It's assumed that, as part of your action, you can get close enough to others in that zone for free. However, a person in the Open Area can't affect someone on the Stage without a ranged ability (or actually moving there).
Each zone can also have its own aspects; the seating area might have a "Tables and Chairs" aspect that can be used to give you a boost to an attack (hit someone with a chair) or a defense (hide under a table). The kitchen could have an aspect like "Lots of Sharp Implements", and so on.

As for tactical options, that's covered more by maneuvers than positions on a map. If (for some reason) your archer can't move to another zone, he could use a maneuver to place a "Keeping My Distance" aspect on himself, and that could be used for a bonus to a defensive roll.

Does that help? If not, I'm more than happy to put together a "bar brawl" combat example tomorrow.

• Locked thread